GM (check), HC (check), QB (miss). What comes next?

It’s now obvious, no?  

1. Zack is neither a franchise QB or game manager

2. He is NOT getting better

3. He is NOT taking accountability 

4. He is losing the lock room.  Yes he is..

—————————————————————

So, what is the rational plan for the rest of 2022 and into 2023 when we know the running game is not going to be enough when teams stack the box even more?

Even if it was, what exactly would we be learning about Zach if we have to hide him?

—————————————————————

My take >>

Given the playoffs are still very much there for the taking, I really can’t fathom the Jets wasting this opportunity and sticking with the guy above.  Zach is going to be booed mercilessly at HOME with every missed throw and the locker room might start to turn on the coaches — never a good thing.

I’m going to go out on the limb and predict that Mike White starts against a now must win match up against the Bears.  This is the perfect opportunity to sit Zach after such a woeful performance on and off the field.  The Jets simply cannot wait until it’s too late.

They have to show the fans they care about making the playoffs this year.

They have to get Mike White game ready this week.  Find out what they have in him (with this supporting roster) in the leave no stone unturned.

They now will need to bring in a competent vet next year.  Wilson has only earned the chance to compete.  Everything will be on the table from a trade for either a short or long term option to drafting one with a first round pick.  Possibly both in a start a vet in 2023 and sit & prepare the first rounder for 2024 scenario.  Similar to San Fran last year.

We might explore names likeJimmy G, Cooper Rush, Daniel Jones, Gardner Minshew or pursue Derek Carr if the Raiders move on after this year ($5.6M dead cap hit).  The only thing I don’t expect is a mega trade for a proven star given the cost & risk.  See Russell Wilson & Deshaun Watson.  Doesn’t seem to fit JD’s profile. 

Get ready for tomorrow’s announcement that Mike White will start against the Bears.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

It’s now obvious, no?  

1. Zack is neither a franchise QB or game manager

2. He is NOT getting better

3. He is NOT taking accountability 

4. He is losing the lock room.  Yes he is..

—————————————————————

So, what is the rational plan for the rest of 2022 and into 2023 when we know the running game is not going to be enough when teams stack the box even more?

Even if it was, what exactly would we be learning about Zach if we have to hide him?

—————————————————————

My take >>

Given the playoffs are still very much there for the taking, I really can’t fathom the Jets wasting this opportunity and sticking with the guy above.  Zach is going to be booed mercilessly at HOME with every missed throw and the locker room might start to turn on the coaches — never a good thing.

I’m going to go out on the limb and predict that Mike White starts against a now must win match up against the Bears.  This is the perfect opportunity to sit Zach after such a woeful performance on and off the field.  The Jets simply cannot wait until it’s too late.

They have to show the fans they care about making the playoffs this year.

They have to get Mike White game ready this week.  Find out what they have in him (with this supporting roster) in the leave no stone unturned.

They now will need to bring in a competent vet next year.  Wilson has only earned the chance to compete.  Everything will be on the table from a trade for either a short or long term option to drafting one with a first round pick.  Possibly both in a start a vet in 2023 and sit & prepare the first rounder for 2024 scenario.  Similar to San Fran last year.

We might explore names likeJimmy G, Cooper Rush, Daniel Jones, Gardner Minshew or pursue Derek Carr if the Raiders move on after this year ($5.6M dead cap hit).  The only thing I don’t expect is a mega trade for a proven star given the cost & risk.  See Russell Wilson & Deshaun Watson.  Doesn’t seem to fit JD’s profile. 

Get ready for tomorrow’s announcement that Mike White will start against the Bears.

There's no chance Mike White will start vs the Bears. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Just gotta suck it up this year...then next year:

image.png.2a895bc5ed068243b0cc82e01cbc1605.png

But why suck it up?  They can make the playoffs this year with a change.  

What else do they need to see from Wilson to know he’s not the guy or at the very least that they don’t need to bring in competition next year?!  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

But why suck it up?  They can make the playoffs this year with a change.  

What else do they need to see from Wilson to know he’s not the guy or at the very least that they don’t need to bring in competition next year?!  

I mean we, as fans, have to suck it up...because this coaching staff is not going to bench Zach.

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1

There's not a lot of examples of GM's and HC's that get 2 cracks at solving the QB position via the 1st round of the draft. I think the Bears tandem got to draft Trubisky and Fields but that's all I remember in recent years. There could be others I am forgetting.

Douglas and Saleh have built a really talented roster. They can't let Zach Wilson sink them. They have to know this. If Zach doesn't turn it around they need to go get a veteran QB who can play.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

I don't know how the coach gets a check when he keeps letting Zach play. He is out of his depth and should not be on the field. There's no excuse for it.

It may not be him making that call ? If Douglas can’t admit how bad zack is, how bad of a pick he was he is going to be in denial. Just like Zack, who is getting bumped up with all this false nonsense “ you are very good, no one outside of the building knows what they are talking about .” Which would explain how unless he is lying, doesn’t realize how bad he is. Or at least not as good as he thinks he is. 

And Saleh is a D guy, I doubt he is entrusted to make the qb decisions all on his own. And Saleh seems like the company guy, not willing to rock the boat. 

I think Douglas purposely didn’t allow a viable option to ensure Zack plays.. Not only do we have worst starting qb in league, We have to also have worst backup situations in nfl. 

4 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

It may not be him making that call ? If Douglas can’t admit how bad zack is, how bad of a pick he was he is going to be in denial. Just like Zack, who is getting bumped up with all this false nonsense “ you are very good, no one outside of the building knows what they are talking about .” Which would explain how unless he is lying, doesn’t realize how bad he is. Or at least not as good as he thinks he is. 

And Saleh is a D guy, I doubt he is entrusted to make the qb decisions all on his own. And Saleh seems like the company guy, not willing to rock the boat. 

I think Douglas purposely didn’t allow a viable option to ensure Zack plays.. Not only do we have worst starting qb in league, We have to also have worst backup situations in nfl. 

It doesn't matter that Mike White isn't any good either.

It comes down to accountability. Zach can not be allowed to be the only guy on the roster that has none. White should be in there if only to prove that.

Otherwise, you have a disaster in that locker room that will affect the performance of the rest of the roster, that is otherwise doing very well. Saleh knows that. It doesn't matter if he's a defense guy. This is about leading a team. 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

It doesn't matter that Mike White isn't any good either.

It comes down to accountability. Zach can not be allowed to be the only guy on the roster that has none. White should be in there if only to prove that.

Otherwise, you have a disaster in that locker room that will affect the performance of the rest of the roster, that is otherwise doing very well. Saleh knows that. It doesn't matter if he's a defense guy. This is about leading a team. 

I agree. But that is why he hasn’t already done it. He should have been pulled in first pats game. Rex did that with sanchez and we all know was a D guy. Pulled him when he was having a meltdown game, but would start him next 1. Now it’s as if Saleh is going to not give up on zack Wilson until he is so bad that he can’t ever be put in again. 

11 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I agree. But that is why he hasn’t already done it. He should have been pulled in first pats game. Rex did that with sanchez and we all know was a D guy. Pulled him when he was having a meltdown game, but would start him next 1. Now it’s as if Saleh is going to not give up on zack Wilson until he is so bad that he can’t ever be put in again. 

Zach's ratings for the two Pats games are substantially lower than his other games (which are at best mediocre).  But the team was winning with mediocre QB play.  So I guess the question becomes if he returns to mediocre and the Jets beat the Bears, is that good enough for him to keep starting?

• Upvote 1

I can't support the idea that Saleh and JD would have to go on the expectation that Zach is not the answer.

They've been the best coach/gm combo we've had in a very, very, very long time.

Sure, the miss on Zach is a huge problem...but so many QBs end up being a miss.

IMO JD gets another shot at finding a QB...rookie or otherwise.  The roster is just too good to let him go...he'd be swiped up by another team in a heartbeat if we fired JD.

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Zach's ratings for the two Pats games are substantially lower than his other games (which are at best mediocre).  But the team was winning with mediocre QB play.  So I guess the question becomes if he returns to mediocre and the Jets beat the Bears, is that good enough for him to keep starting?

We could actually be 8-2 if Saleh had the quick sense Rex did. Sucks Saleh and Douglas want the whole ship to go down with Zack.

58 minutes ago, Hansen said:

This is the narrative and it pisses me off. 

How do Saleh and JD get a check mark when they clearly botch the QB position? 

When you go to a nice restaurant and they serve you a bad steak do you blame the cow?

They get a check mark for all the other players and the way they are playing that have gotten us to this point. This is not a narrative, the kid's failures doesnt negate the rest of the entire team and its progress.

I.E. they are allowed to have one miss just like Zack is allowed 4 or 5 missed passed per game. Noone is perfect but you have to be above average. The coach and GM has been, Zack has not.

7 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

We could actually be 8-2 if Saleh had the quick sense Rex did. Sucks Saleh and Douglas want the whole ship to go down with Zack.

I'm just spit balling but I'd guess they never expected to be this good this year.  They figured they'd let Zach stumble along like the rest of the team and get ready for business in 2023.  Going 6-3 and beating some tough opponents on the road changed the whole script, and Saleh and JD have been slow to react.

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

JD and Saleh have obviously proven they are capable at their jobs. Finding a franchise QB is not an easy task 

The pick of Zach wilson at 2 was atrocious and this is as much jds fault as it is Zachs 

The Jets fell in love with Zach wilson and I'll never understand why 

7 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I'm just spit balling but I'd guess they never expected to be this good this year.  They figured they'd let Zach stumble along like the rest of the team and get ready for business in 2023.  Going 6-3 and beating some tough opponents on the road changed the whole script, and Saleh and JD have been slow to react.

They look extra guilty now, seemed like they were stalling to bring him back. I remember hearing many reports zack may only miss a game, could even be ready for first game ? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The pick of Zach wilson at 2 was atrocious and this is as much jds fault as it is Zachs 

The Jets fell in love with Zach wilson and I'll never understand why 

QBs get drafted high. Especially ones with big arms like Zach. Doesn’t always work out. I mean Mac Jones was a first round pick and so was Trey Lance. Justin Fields was drafted 10th overall and he can’t even throw the ball

I don't think there is anything Wilson can do in the final 7 games that's
going to make me confident that he's the answer.  Saleh/Douglas need to
table that decision until the off-season and focus on winning games.
They've created a SB caliber defense that would scare anyone they face
in the playoffs.  It makes no sense to waste their efforts for the
sake of Wilson who has come up small.  If Wilson can't at least be a
game manager pull him and go to White

GM check?

The Gm picked Wilson, Becton and james morgan who was so bad he was out of the league in about 2 years when he should have been the viable backup when the starter flamed out.

The coach and the GM totally went out of their way to have no viable alternative to wilson, the stupid old school idea that you do not threaten the feelings of your young project starter.