GRADE JOE DOUGLAS

1 minute ago, Facts said:

Uh, AT THE JETS PICK, The obvious pick was Sauce and Wilson.

Because those other players were obviously gone.

Drake London and Jameson Williams were still on the board. The other players were obviously gone? Sauce was a great pick and now an obvious no brainer but many were skeptical of picking a CB so high. Many Joe Schmoe fans wouldn’t have even picked a CB there. 

19 minutes ago, Facts said:

He gets no credit from for Sauce or Wilson. They were the OBVIOUS picks. Insert any Joe Schmoe fan and they still get those picks right.

He had 3 number ones and yet the team finished the season with a 6 game losing streak (not beating Miami next week).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

He is C at best and I told him that in the rain......(not really but i did the whole Ryan leaf comment)

He's a JAG GM. I love me some Sauce but what idiot with the 4th pick doesn't take Sauce at 4. You dont get to pound your chest for top 10 pick because your team stinks every year. 

JD's record = ZERO PLAYOFF APPEARANCEs/Winning season

Fun fact - Mac had at least one winning season. JD still has zero. 

Well he did a foul up the obvious no-brainer pick of Wirfs over Becton. So hitting a meatball like Sauce is progress! Extension!

• Haha 1

JD has been all over the map and was definitely given a few too many mulligans his first few years, and did little to actually live up to the hype surrounding him for a while.

However, given this past offseason was finally a step in the right direction and the team improved to at least some extent this season, despite the terrible finish quickly taking away quite a bit from that, there's little reason to believe he's losing his job right now.  At this point, JD and Saleh's futures are quite deservedly tied together, and this coming year will be their opportunity to prove whether the team should double down on them both, or it's time to move on.

To this point, the grade is a C-, and that's even giving benefit-of-the-doubt on a few players there hasn't yet been enough seen to judge.  If not even a few of those other players pan out and/or this offseason looks more like his first few, that grade will quickly plummet.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Hex said:

Drake London and Jameson Williams were still on the board. The other players were obviously gone? Sauce was a great pick and now an obvious no brainer but many were skeptical of picking a CB so high. Many Joe Schmoe fans wouldn’t have even picked a CB there. 

They were both the highest players on every draft board there was. It was obvious. Everyone knew who we were taking before they even announced it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Facts said:

They were both the highest players on every draft board there was. It was obvious. Everyone knew who we were taking before they even announced it.

Too many fans have a myopic view; instead of comparing JD's performance to other GM's in the league, they compare him to Idzik and Mac.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, Facts said:

AT THE JETS PICK, The obvious pick was Sauce and Wilson.

JD didn’t have to pick between Olave and Wilson. There was just Wilson left.

And he didn’t have to pick between Stingley and Sauce. Because only Sauce was left.

Facts

2 hours ago, Coquito said:

He very well might set this team back for years in contract hell like the mess Parcells left behind. 

well if your being put on the hot seat with a playoff or else mandate then you would spend whatever to get whoever here.

• Upvote 1

I can’t imagine firing the one stable GM we’ve had in forever. 

I’d be devastated to lose him. 

I understand everyone’s sour feelings at this time. The incredible trades are enough to keep his job imo.  He’s drafted 4 Ring of Honor type guys in AVT, Sauce, Wilson and Breece. 

We have a real core for years to come. And he has structured the salary cap well where we have outs on most contracts.  That is enough for me for now.

He whiffed on a QB. He’s not the first. Harry Roseman, the best GM in the NFL, wanted Zach Wilson badly.  I want to see what JD does this off season to fill that spot. With Derrick Carr we’d be cruising to the playoffs.

This off season get a QB and attack the offensive line again.

• Upvote 2

JD decided to gut the roster and coaching staff that had won 7 games the year before, and his decision gave us 2 years of  unwatchable, non competitive football that made us all root for losses.  Thank you Joe Douglas.

We endured that because we had draft capital but then, JD delivered two Macc'ish drafts in a row that will set us back another 2 years.

He had a great draft this year, and we can finally watch the product again, but...

We have basically completed a round trip to where we were three years ago, a 7 win team, a couple nice players, no depth, a bad coaching staff and no QB.

The heat is on.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Coquito said:

He very well might set this team back for years in contract hell like the mess Parcells left behind. 

contract hell like parcells?  parcells did it by signing free agents.  at least if the jets get in contract hell it'll be because they have so many good young players at the same time.  i don't see many of the free agent vets getting bad contracts.

the gm is going to be hated or loved depending on what the team does.  obviously getting good players is most of the job but it's also making sure the right players are retained and the right coach is hired.  sure we can him for drafting zwilson but that's not his total body of work and, like it or not, zwilson might actually turn out to be pretty good.  same thing with becton and mims.  i wouldn't exactly say mac's name in the same breath as douglas' because at least douglas recognizes what the team needs and is doing something.  mac just drank coffee, drafted dt's and handed out bad free agent contracts.

3 hours ago, Facts said:

And he didn’t have to pick between Stingley and Sauce. Because only Sauce was left.

So he gets credit for the "obvious" pick when it works but blame for obvious when it doesn't? 

3 hours ago, Facts said:

He picked Wilson 10 and Olave went to the Saints the pick after at 11

He still gets a C- from me 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, adb280z said:

So he gets credit for the "obvious" pick when it works but blame for obvious when it doesn't? 

When everyone in the universe was in consensus on who the best player was, yes.

When you overdraft players that everyone else is looking at you like “huh”, yes.