Tanny on Jets getting Rodgers.

doitny

A fun thing is that, because of the Rodgers rumors, the fan base is going to absolutely despise Derek Carr from the second he signs here, and that’s before finding out he’s a weenie.
You are spot on ... Once the relentless check downs begin due to porous line play ... All the guys that headed up the 'bring me Zach's head on platter' chant at the NE game will venture into battle once more .. heralding penants flying higher than ever.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

its actually sad that the most yardage in a season for a jets qb came in 1967. in this day and age of offense thats unreal that we haven't been able to top a mark from the 60s
OMG ... Thanks ... It's only Saturday... Wish you had waited till Sun at 10 pm

18 minutes ago, undertow said:

We were 1 game from the playoffs with Zippy Wilson and Mike White a healthy Ryan Tannehill or Jimmy G gets us to the playoffs....Tannehill and Jimmy G aren't winning us a SB but either is Derek Carr .   

I agree but im taking Carr over those 2. 

6 hours ago, undertow said:

So you think Carr is a QB who's going to put us over the top?  We aren't any better with Carr than we were with Pennington.  If the goal is stability and making the playoffs thats fine but some of you guys are overboard with where you think Carr puts this team.  Derek Carr and Aaron Rodgers aren't the same or even close as players.  If the Jets miss out on Rodgers they can pivot to other QBs who can get them as far as Carr will. 

Get Carr be competitive and stable and keep drafting qb prospects

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Tanny forgetting about something important.  What does Rodgers want ???  If he wants to leave GB and go to the Jets and pair up with Hackett, it will happen.  If he wants to stay in GB, he will 

There is one thing everyone is forgetting Rodgers is from California!!! He went to school there and going to the Raiders in Las Vegas is like a coming home to him. He would probably like to be home near his family.

• Upvote 1

Disclaimer: I'm a Packers fan and want the most I can get for Rodgers as would you...

Point about Carr: The offense Hackett/Lafleur run would be completely new to Carr.   Chances are decent that Carr would have a down year in 2023 because it's very difficult to learn for the QB.   Rodgers didn't look like himself in 2019 such that they went out and traded up to draft Love after Lafleur's first season as coach...  I think we all saw how Russell Wilson looked this year running it with Hackett...   Just food for thought that it's not a slam dunk that Carr would come in and put up his normal numbers.

• Upvote 2

See the reason I would choose Carr over Rodgers is because Rodgers could decide the following year to retire and the Jets will look like a fool giving all those picks to GB for just one year. With Rodgers retiring the Jets will be back to square one looking for a QB. Also Rodgers is from California and would like to be close to his family than in NY.

Carr is my option because the Jets don't have to give up any draft picks also he is looking for a fresh start away from the Raiders. So far the Jets are the only team interested in him but it could heat up after March.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, undertow said:

So you think Carr is a QB who's going to put us over the top?  We aren't any better with Carr than we were with Pennington. 

It's different. Allen is not Brady yet. Wilson has beaten Allen, I think Carr can beat Allen. If you can win your division it changes the game. Brady being in our division was the reason for Favre.

Carr = can win division long term. Multiple shots to hope to get hot for a SB. Likely mean Zach will get traded after 2023.

Rodgers = immediate SB contenders and must win 1 in next 2 years. Hail Mary for Zach to develop.

6 minutes ago, AL047 said:

See the reason I would choose Carr over Rodgers is because Rodgers could decide the following year to retire and the Jets will look like a fool giving all those picks to GB for just one year. With Rodgers retiring the Jets will be back to square one looking for a QB. Also Rodgers is from California and would like to be close to his family than in NY.

Carr is my option because the Jets don't have to give up any draft picks also he is looking for a fresh start away from the Raiders. So far the Jets are the only team interested in him but it could heat up after March.

Could be the Jets for Carr...  If I was the Niners I would be trying to land him too....

3 minutes ago, freestater said:

They're in comparison to every season of every qb we've ever trotted out, no?

We are going around in circles....the stats aren't comparable and don't prove anything....it's like saying Sammy Sosa is a better player than Ted Williams because he hit more homeruns in the steriods era.

13 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Newsflash neither is AR . 

aaron rodgers put this team firmly into the contender level and instantly adds respect to the team. rodgers is the best option we have to turn this team around into a competitive team who has some respect around the league. we would need to have a legit prospect behind, learning for the next 2 years who could take over when he retires......it would be a great foundational move to get a guy like that in our lockerroom

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, doitny said:

did anyone catch this yesterday on TMKS. starts at 24:00 if you want to hear it. he made some good points.

The Michael Kay Show - Hour 2: Stephen A. Smith and Mike Tannenbaum Join the Show | ESPN

but to summarize it. 

1. thinks that a trade would have condition like when he traded for Favre. 3rd rd pick turns into 2nd rd with 80% snaps and playoffs and a 1st with a SB.

2. Greeny said he didn't think the compensation for Rodgers wouldnt be a 1st rd pick. Tanny thinks they dont trade him unless they get a 1st rd pick. GB has a 58 million dollar option he thinks Rodgers will have a hard time saying no too.

3. thinks GB cant or doesnt have to do it before June 1. that they would want to get another look at Love in the off season program before making the decision. plus he was talking about them not being able to do it before June 1 cause the had to move around money for the cap. that confused me cause i thought they would have plenty of space if they traded him.

4. brings up how we had Chad but needed a better QB to beat Brady and when the opportunity to get Favre happened, he took it. that happened on August 8 2008. right now we dont have any QB and cant afford to be the guy left standing without a chair when the music stops. we cant afford to wait till June 1st.

i think we all have Rodgers and Carr as our 1 and 2 in whatever order, Carr is gone by March 1 imo we have to go all in on him. we cant wait for the Rodgers saga to play out.

I thought teams can designate post June 1st cuts for 2 players a year anytime they want after the start of the new league year?. If AR would not be a situation important enough for one of those slots then what the heck would. Unless that doesn’t apply to trades maybe.

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

aaron rodgers put this team firmly into the contender level and instantly adds respect to the team. rodgers is the best option we have to turn this team around into a competitive team who has some respect around the league. we would need to have a legit prospect behind, learning for the next 2 years who could take over when he retires......it would be a great foundational move to get a guy like that in our lockerroom

No doubt he upgrades the position and gives the Jets potential playoff aspirations. But that's a 1 year flirt with the possibility of 2 at most. 

If I thought this team could be SB contenders with AR I'd buy in - I don't, I think there are still two many holes to fill and giving away draft capital and to a lesser degree the salary need for AR is foolish when this team is finally being built with nice young talent on both sides of the ball. 

Bring in Carr or to a lesser degree Tanny or Brissett and let JD finish the renovation. Also I want absolutely nothing to do with Jimmy G.

I get it Rodgers brings excitement and buzz , but im my eyes its not worth the fallout if it doesn't bear fruit. 

• Post of the Week 2

17 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

No doubt he upgrades the position and gives the Jets potential playoff aspirations. But that's a 1 year flirt with the possibility of 2 at most. 

If I thought this team could be SB contenders with AR I'd buy in - I don't, I think there are still two many holes to fill and giving away draft capital and to a lesser degree the salary need for AR is foolish when this team is finally being built with nice young talent on both sides of the ball. 

Bring in Carr or to a lesser degree Tanny or Brissett and let JD finish the renovation. Also I want absolutely nothing to do with Jimmy G.

I get it Rodgers brings excitement and buzz , but im my eyes its not worth the fallout if it doesn't bear fruit. 

Brilliantly put. You said in two sentences what I and so many other guys on the site have been trying to convey for weeks. Well done.

22 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

Who do you want to start for the jets next season?

18 hours ago, Dunnie said:

What would you like to see happen?

18 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Who is playing qb then???

DISCLAIMER: I think the Jets may very well try and get Carr or Rodgers but I strongly dislike both moves. I could justify Carr way more than Rodgers

I do not believe that it is this binary decision of who we decide to get in Carr and Rodgers.

I also do not think that the Jets are a "win now" team or just a "QB away". In fact I can see the Jets taking a step back.

We finally have a core of young players in AVT. Sauce, Reed, Q, Breece, MC 1 and 2, Bryce Huff (who IMO is priority 1 resign) but we are still a long ways away and need draft capital and cap space to round out the roster even more and we still do not have a QB.

I think we need to develop a QB from the draft and we should try to build a long term contender, not mortgage the future for a "run" that will only add to failure

Jets seem to want to continue to develop Zach. I am not sure that is so wise. And the nepotistic, completely unimaginative and stubborn hire of Hackett means that Zach is again in an offensive system that he does not fit.

So I move Zach for what I can.

I probably move on from White

So totally new QB room for 2023.

I also pass on Jimmy G. The 49ers actually improved when he was not playing and he's never healthy. We have concrete proof of why they spent so much on a new QB. (I also remain convinced that Shanahan wanted Jones but was overruled)

If Geno showed anything this year is that a QB can mature and realize his potential later in his career. So I would look at Jameis Winston as one possible target. His main issue has also been maturity and maybe he can get past that finally. I look at Minshew as well. I consider all options, we will need a bridge QB

And then I am drafting at least 1 QB in the draft. If we really like one of the Top guys and can trade up, do it. If one falls, do it. If we like a mid round guy as well, do what the Redskins did with papa Shanahan.

But the Jets won't go this route. They are going to mortgage everything to win now and likely all get fired in about 11 months.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

DISCLAIMER: I think the Jets may very well try and get Carr or Rodgers but I strongly dislike both moves. I could justify Carr way more than Rodgers

I do not believe that it is this binary decision of who we decide to get in Carr and Rodgers.

I also do not think that the Jets are a "win now" team or just a "QB away". In fact I can see the Jets taking a step back.

We finally have a core of young players in AVT. Sauce, Reed, Q, Breece, MC 1 and 2, Bryce Huff (who IMO is priority 1 resign) but we are still a long ways away and need draft capital and cap space to round out the roster even more and we still do not have a QB.

I think we need to develop a QB from the draft and we should try to build a long term contender, not mortgage the future for a "run" that will only add to failure

Jets seem to want to continue to develop Zach. I am not sure that is so wise. And the nepotistic, completely unimaginative and stubborn hire of Hackett means that Zach is again in an offensive system that he does not fit.

So I move Zach for what I can.

I probably move on from White, but I might franchise tag him to see what his market is.

So totally new QB room for 2023.

I also pass on Jimmy G. The 49ers actually improved when he was not playing and he's never healthy. We have concrete proof of why they spent so much on a new QB. (I also remain convinced that Shanahan wanted Jones but was overruled)

If Geno showed anything this year is that a QB can mature and realize his potential later in his career. So I would look at Jameis Winston as one possible target. His main issue has also been maturity and maybe he can get past that finally. I look at Minshew as well. I consider all options, we will need a bridge QB

And then I am drafting at least 1 QB in the draft. If we really like one of the Top guys and can trade up, do it. If one falls, do it. If we like a mid round guy as well, do what the Redskins did with papa Shanahan.

But the Jets won't go this route. They are going to mortgage everything to win now and likely all get fired in about 11 months.

Do you realize the projected franchise tag for Qb in 2023 is ~ 45M , Otherwise I agree with most of what you are saying . 

Carr is my top priority but I'd be ok with Tanny, Brissett and had forgot about Winston he may not be a bad stopgap for a year or two.

19 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Do you realize the projected franchise tag for Qb in 2023 is ~ 45M , Otherwise I agree with most of what you are saying . 

Carr is my top priority but I'd be ok with Tanny, Brissett and had forgot about Winston he may not be a bad stopgap for a year or two.

Sorry, that is supposed to be the "transition" tag. The White situation seems like a perfect fit for it. It is really rare in the NFL but great way to get an exact number for White

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Sorry, that is supposed to be the "transition" tag. The White situation seems like a perfect fit for it. It is really rare in the NFL but great way to get an exact number for White

Here are the current projected values for the transition tag in 2023:

• QB: $30.4 million

No way that's happening for MFW. 

16 hours ago, undertow said:

We are going around in circles....the stats aren't comparable and don't prove anything....it's like saying Sammy Sosa is a better player than Ted Williams because he hit more homeruns in the steriods era.

You act like I'm comparing Carr to just Namath or Ken O'Brien. I'm comparing Carr to every single Jets starting QB since the beginning of this franchise up to last season with Zach Wilson, Mike F-ing White, and Joe Flacco. 

• Upvote 2