Rex to Denver as DC ?!

Adoni Beast

His scheme got exposed by Peyton. Brady then doubled-down. 

He’ll be good for ticket sales. That D is great. I don’t think he makes it better. He just has to avoid screwing it up. The key for that D improving is the offense keeping out off the field.

• Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

That is what everyone said when he went to Buffalo.

I like Rex as a DC and he'd probably be a good hire but in the NFL these can't miss scenarios often as not miss.

In Buffalo he tried to fit a square peg in a round hole by converting 4-3 personnel into his usual aggressive blitzing 3-4 style. In Denver he already has the pieces he needs to for the defense he likes to run. PSII will essentially be Revis 2.0 

• Sympathy 1

Not sure if being out of the league for that long like 7 years will have a detrimental efffect on him. Things have changed a ton over that time span with all the new schemes, rules etc even the players are different now. They are much more vocal it seems with how social media has become a huge thing

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Rex back at DC w/Payton running the offense is big trouble for the AFCW. Aaron better stay away.

Not sure about this one 

Buttlao had an elite defense that actually regressed when Rex got there. Denver also already had an elite defense last year. I think when an elite unit changes coordinators it can be tricky. I also worry about how long he’s been away. 

I think Rex would be an iffy hire 

Rex has said even recently that he considers himself a head coach and not a coordinator and that he would only consider a head coaching position but realizes that those opportunities do not exist for him anymore, as he hasn't gotten any calls to interview for a hc job. He said he is ok with it and enjoys playing golf and being retired. I guess he changed his mind and sees this as a way to get his past deleted and get another shot as a head coach down the road. Hope it happens. I liked him and miss him. Well, not the last couple of years but before that he had me/us smitten. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

54 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

In Buffalo he tried to fit a square peg in a round hole by converting 4-3 personnel into his usual aggressive blitzing 3-4 style. In Denver he already has the pieces he needs to for the defense he likes to run. PSII will essentially be Revis 2.0 

Why would PSIII be markedly better because of Rex - he’s also already great 

45 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Not sure if being out of the league for that long like 7 years will have a detrimental efffect on him. Things have changed a ton over that time span with all the new schemes, rules etc even the players are different now. They are much more vocal it seems with how social media has become a huge thing

Great point. Rex's aggressive D would lead the league in penalties and destroy any progress Payton may make to the offense. The rules are not made for a guy like Rex.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

29 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Not sure about this one 

Buttlao had an elite defense that actually regressed when Rex got there. Denver also already had an elite defense last year. I think when an elite unit changes coordinators it can be tricky. I also worry about how long he’s been away. 

I think Rex would be an iffy hire 

It would be interesting to see what he can do as a DC instead of the HC where he can focus on his expertise and build a scheme around his personnel like he did when he first came to the Jets.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Ok. 

I don’t think Rex appreciably changes the math in that division. 

Yea because, ideally, Payton would be the difference maker in this instance because Denver's offense is the unit that needs the help. 

But It's Payton's job to still be able to build a strong staff, and having a mind like Rex take charge of the defense would go a long way.....just because Denver already has good players on that side doesn't mean you can just plug in any joe schmoe and get similar results....

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BurntDice said:

Once a coach always a coach. Rex is plugged into the league as much as anyone and his scheme will still be successful today. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Rex back at DC w/Payton running the offense is big trouble for the AFCW. Aaron better stay away.

Rex's old antiquated style of D is from a bygone era.

I wouldn't be afraid of a REX D in a million years.

Hell, in 2012 Tebow went through it like a knife through butter.

He made the Bills D worse.