NFL reporter says Packers open to keeping Aaron Rodgers after ‘disgusted’ claim

doitny

here we go again. its stupid to wait on this guy. hes gonna come out of his cave this week and still not have an answer.

There are now conflicting reports about whether the Green Bay Packers are truly “done” with Aaron Rodgers.

After longtime Packers reporter Bob McGinn said on the “Go Long” podcast last week that Green Bay was “disgusted” with Rodgers and ready to move on, NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero says the franchise wants Rodgers to return for a 19th season — with one caveat.

“If he wants to return to Green Bay and as long as he’s fully bought in, the Packers want him back,” Pelissero said Tuesday on Rich Eisen’s radio show. “They had good conversations after the season.”

Eisen then asked Pelissero specifically about McGinn’s comments.

“I would say nobody has told me they are disgusted with Aaron Rodgers,” Pelissero said. “I think that it is natural when you give someone an unprecedented type of contract, basically ripping up the remaining contract and giving him what amounts to a three-year, $150 million-plus deal like they did last year, you’re anticipating you’re gonna get somebody who’s fully bought in and is going to play at a really high level, and it didn’t work out that way in 2022. He had the finger injury that probably impacted him more than people realized at the time, he had some other injuries he played through.”

Aaron Rodgers' future with the Packers is up in the air. Aaron Rodgers’ future with the Packers is up in the air. Getty Images

McGinn said Packers president Mark Murphy, GM Brian Gutekunst and head coach Matt LaFleur have all “turned the page” and don’t believe Rodgers is “really working hard anymore.”

The 39-year-old Rodgers had 3,695 yards passing, 26 touchdowns, and 12 interceptions in 2022, the first time he threw more than eight interceptions in a season since 2010. The 10-time Pro Bowler led Green Bay to a Super Bowl XLV title 12 years ago.

The Post’s Brian Costello reported on Feb. 12 that the Jets have had preliminary discussions with the Packers about a possible Rodgers trade should he become available. The Jets are in the market for a veteran quarterback after second-year quarterback Zach Wilson struggled last season.

Aaron Rodgers (12) attempts a pass during the Packers' game against the Lions on Jan. 8, 2023. Aaron Rodgers (12) attempts a pass during the Packers’ 

The Jets hosted free agent Derek Carr last weekend, and the visit reportedly went well.

Rodgers was going on a four-day “darkness retreat” as he mulled whether to retire.

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

So the Jets arent getting Dead End Derek or Rodgers.  Who has been saying this all along?  I cant quite remember who that poster is.

QB1 - Garropolo/Tannehill

QB2 - Minshew

QB3- Zach Wilson

Stay the course Joe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can tell ya one thing - they’re not signing 2 QBs.  Wilson will be the backup.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, undertow said:

What exactly do you want the Jets to do?  Carr said he's taking meetings and will have a decision in a few weeks and free agency hasn't even started yet so what do you want to happen?

Carr can be signed right now, he doesnt have to wait for FA. 

i want them to sign him now and not wait 3 weeks. if they give him what he want he would sign now. letting this play out will just bring in more teams into it. 

maybe a team waiting on Rodgers waits 2 week and Rodgers still doesnt have a answer and they go hard for Carr. maybe a city he rather play in more than NY. or maybe the Giants decided they rather pay Carr 40 million instead of Jones. there is a ton of ways we could get screwed out of Carr if this draggs out.

17 minutes ago, doitny said:

here we go again. its stupid to wait on this guy. hes gonna come out of his cave this week and still not have an answer.

There are now conflicting reports about whether the Green Bay Packers are truly “done” with Aaron Rodgers.

After longtime Packers reporter Bob McGinn said on the “Go Long” podcast last week that Green Bay was “disgusted” with Rodgers and ready to move on, NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero says the franchise wants Rodgers to return for a 19th season — with one caveat.

“If he wants to return to Green Bay and as long as he’s fully bought in, the Packers want him back,” Pelissero said Tuesday on Rich Eisen’s radio show. “They had good conversations after the season.”

Eisen then asked Pelissero specifically about McGinn’s comments.

“I would say nobody has told me they are disgusted with Aaron Rodgers,” Pelissero said. “I think that it is natural when you give someone an unprecedented type of contract, basically ripping up the remaining contract and giving him what amounts to a three-year, $150 million-plus deal like they did last year, you’re anticipating you’re gonna get somebody who’s fully bought in and is going to play at a really high level, and it didn’t work out that way in 2022. He had the finger injury that probably impacted him more than people realized at the time, he had some other injuries he played through.”

Aaron Rodgers' future with the Packers is up in the air. Aaron Rodgers’ future with the Packers is up in the air. Getty Images

McGinn said Packers president Mark Murphy, GM Brian Gutekunst and head coach Matt LaFleur have all “turned the page” and don’t believe Rodgers is “really working hard anymore.”

The 39-year-old Rodgers had 3,695 yards passing, 26 touchdowns, and 12 interceptions in 2022, the first time he threw more than eight interceptions in a season since 2010. The 10-time Pro Bowler led Green Bay to a Super Bowl XLV title 12 years ago.

The Post’s Brian Costello reported on Feb. 12 that the Jets have had preliminary discussions with the Packers about a possible Rodgers trade should he become available. The Jets are in the market for a veteran quarterback after second-year quarterback Zach Wilson struggled last season.

Aaron Rodgers (12) attempts a pass during the Packers' game against the Lions on Jan. 8, 2023. Aaron Rodgers (12) attempts a pass during the Packers’ 

The Jets hosted free agent Derek Carr last weekend, and the visit reportedly went well.

Rodgers was going on a four-day “darkness retreat” as he mulled whether to retire.

Why is this Rodgers fault?   These are reporters / sources saying this....clicks, clicks, clicks

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

So the Jets arent getting Dead End Derek or Rodgers.  Who has been saying this all along?  I cant quite remember who that poster is.

QB2 - Minshew

QB3- Zach Wilson

Tannehill is not getting cut. Willis was worst than Zach. he needs to sit another year behind Tanney.

and you rather have broken Jimmy play 8 games a year instead of Carr? 

• Upvote 1

Anyone who’s been keeping up with this sport for some years should understand this is a power move to up the trade value. 

conflicting reports almost always mean this. you put two sides of a coin out there for people to see and they pick and believe which one is right. Maybe it’s neither. Doesn’t really matter. Entire situation is starting to annoy me lol.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, doitny said:

i want them to sign him now and not wait 3 weeks. if they give him what he want he would sign now. letting this play out will just bring in more teams into it. 

maybe a team waiting on Rodgers waits 2 week and Rodgers still doesnt have a answer and they go hard for Carr. maybe a city he rather play in more than NY. or maybe the Giants decided they rather pay Carr 40 million instead of Jones. there is a ton of ways we could get screwed out of Carr if this draggs out.

Carr has said very clearly he is taking meetings and will make a decision before the combine....so unless your plan is to kidnap him or give him 50 mil a year just chill.......these guys aren't overly emotional like the fans he will take his time and pick the place he is most comfortable. 

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

QB2 - Minshew

QB3- Zach Wilson

What course is this that you're begging Joe to stay on???? Jimmy G and Carr likely get close to the same deal, except you'll be paying Jimmy G to not play more often than not. Carr plays.

And no way are they signing 2 QB's....so in reality, you begging for Jimmy G is really begging for more of Zach Wilson...yeah, stay the course. sure.

23 minutes ago, undertow said:

What exactly do you want the Jets to do?  Carr said he's taking meetings and will have a decision in a few weeks and free agency hasn't even started yet so what do you want to happen?

he has no idea. he just wants to say sh*t not based in any actual knowledge or fact...... like half the people here 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Sounds like the Packers are after more in Trade value. Btw If 3,695 yards passing, 26 touchdowns, and 12 interceptions is bad the Packers are going love below average QB play. Spoilt Ass holes.

12 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Anyone who’s been keeping up with this sport for some years should understand this is a power move to up the trade value. 

conflicting reports almost always mean this. you put two sides of a coin out there for people to see and they pick and believe which one is right. Maybe it’s neither. Doesn’t really matter. Entire situation is starting to annoy me lol.

Thank you for this 

I’m too emotionally invested in this to think straight!

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

QB2 - Minshew

QB3- Zach Wilson

why exactly would minshew sign with a team that will already have a veteran QB and a former #2 pick on its roster?  if he wants to be a backup, he can stay with the NFC champs.  

as to your proposal - 6-11 here we come.  too bad to make the playoffs, too good to really stink and pick at the top of the draft

yay - more mediocrity!!!!

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

QB2 - Minshew

QB3- Zach Wilson

Tannehill is under contract for the  Titans. He’s not even available 

23 minutes ago, doitny said:

The Jets can sign him right now, Carr may want to do his due diligence on what other offers might be on the table. 

7 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Tannehill is under contract for the  Titans. He’s not even available 

True but 2024 & 2025 are voidable years.  Safe bet his time in Tennessee is coming to an end swiftly.  If they are unable to find a trade partner and were to cut him post-June 1 they'd save over $27M in cap space.

14 minutes ago, undertow said:

Carr has said very clearly he is taking meetings and will make a decision before the combine....so unless your plan is to kidnap him or give him 50 mil a year just chill.......these guys aren't overly emotional like the fans he will take his time and pick the place he is most comfortable. 

thats cause he didnt get what he wants. 

if Carr signs for 50 mil a year somewhere else and we wind up with Brissett are you going to be happy that we didnt pay Carr 50 mil? cause thats what it is, between Carr and Brissett. 

Carr might not be worth 50 mil, but to us he is cause we need a QB and the next guy is not even close to being as good as Carr.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

True but 2024 & 2025 are voidable years.  Safe bet his time in Tennessee is coming to an end swiftly.  If they are unable to find a trade partner and were to cut him post-June 1 they'd save over $27M in cap space.

Willis was worst than Zach in his 3 games last year. they would be stupid not to have him sit another year behind Tanney.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

QB2 - Minshew

QB3- Zach Wilson

Some things never change around here. A year away from this place and I can still count on you to shake the place to its core with one post lol.

• Haha 1

Just now, doitny said:

Willis was worst than Zach in his 3 games last year. they would be stupid not to have him sit another year behind Tanney.

I'm not saying Willis is their future at all but Tannehill most certainly isn't beyond 2023.  So moving on from him now when they can still maybe get some draft capital for him would be wise.

If I'm Tennessee I move or cut Tannehill and roll with Willis.  If Willis fails, at least you end up with a backdoor tank for a top pick.  

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

He was never at the alter.  Only a fake alter that jet fans created.  Rodgers isnt coming her nor ever was coming here.

Stay the course Joe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aaron Rodgers will not be playing for The Packers in 2023. He is moved to another team or retires. The Packers drafted a number one QB in Jordan Love, they do not have a 2 year window to win a Super Bowl, The Eagles are the class of the NFC at the moment. The Packers need to see what they have in Love. If they think he stinks then they will be drafting another QB this year or next.

Word on the Street is the Jets gave Carr an offer he could not refuse (insert Vito Corleone), if so, then Carr would have already signed.  The Jets number one priority is Rodgers and the deal is already done. Everyone is just waiting for the cave dweller to make his decision if he still wants to play.

4 minutes ago, Green Truth said:

Aaron Rodgers will not be playing for The Packers in 2023. He is moved to another team or retires. The Packers drafted a number one QB in Jordan Love, they do not have a 2 year window to win a Super Bowl, The Eagles are the class of the NFC at the moment. The Packers need to see what they have in Love. If they think he stinks then they will be drafting another QB this year or next.

Word on the Street is the Jets gave Carr an offer he could not refuse (insert Vito Corleone), if so, then Carr would have already signed.  The Jets number one priority is Rodgers and the deal is already done. Everyone is just waiting for the cave dweller to make his decision if he still wants to play.

What???????????  The NFC is terrible.  The Pack have a cakewalk to the #1 seed in the playoffs and homefield throughout.

Pack would be crazy to move to Love when a Super Bowl appearance is this close w/ Aaron Rodgers.

From Aaron Rodgers perspective:  Let me play for the worst team in the nfl the past 10 years and have to compete with Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Lawrence, Allen etc etc etc.  Or I can stay in GB and worry about a running qb for the Eagles and nothing else.  

Jet fans have lost their minds even entertaining the thought of rodgers to the jets.

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Either the Packers want more than the Jets are willing to give, or Punxsutawney Aaron emerged, doesn’t want to leave, and the Packers are now willing to keep him under their own conditions.  Either way, I’m just about ready to move on from this sh*tshow.  Sign Carr and be done with it.

If this ends with Garoppolo or Tannehill, I will gladly look forward to Woody Johnson’s Black Monday presser.

You are getting close Mogglez.  Just drop the Carr fantasy thats never happening and we can get back to talking realistic options.

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You are getting close Mogglez.  Just drop the Carr fantasy thats never happening and we can get back to talking realistic options.

How about no, and I spend the season on a SAR-like crusade for Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh’s heads if we sign Garoppolo or Tannehill?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2