Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

Just now, bla bla bla said:

Woof I hope the retirement talk is for theatrics.

That is my hope too, things always come down to money so maybe even with this much money there he is posturing somehow.

At the highest level the Jets are telling people they don't know when Rodgers will decide. So that part is scary.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Rodgers is done. I know you don't want to agree with that or have a real discussion about it, so we won't. He's also kind of a flake of a teammate and annoying as a person. He's going to get hurt. These things are going to be overlooked right now but again, give it 6 months. I'll still be around and hey, you can gloat if I'm wrong. 

The bold is total conjecture.  And yes he's a flake.  He's more than a flake.  He's an outright loon.  But I'm fine with that if he's moving this offense with Wilson and Hall for the next 2 years while the Jets figure out QB.

12 minutes ago, Dcat said:

nice.  You totally ignored the most important point: You are the most negative fan on this site.  Period. I'm not referring to "being depressed".  But if you want to add that in, fine.  The Eeyore that you are is simply the most negative creature in the room.  And that's a fact.

My take as a lifetime Jets fan:  Watching Rodgers (who is in no way as decrepit a QB as you continually imply... another fallacy) work with G Wilson and Hall is goddam exciting.  I will love this for the next 2 years if possible.  Sure... dump Zach (I'm with you on that) and definitely draft a QB and develop him for the next or two while Aaron throws the ball to Garrett Wilson. A lot. 

Im a fan.  I want the team to win. I want to see offense.  Rodgers is the correct move.

As an aside...     and I'm sorry to ask this... but is it not possible for you to be an actual fan of this team?  If not, then why do you hang atound? 

Just wrong on many levels. The Jets have not objectively earned any recent optimism or benefit of the doubt. If you wish to give it to them anyway, that is your choice and your fandom and more power to you. But people who are in a strict “prove it” relationship with the team at this point don’t have to have any agenda other than to not want to be made fools of again like (to use another cartoon analogy) Charlie Brown and the football.

• Upvote 2

This is how I see it:

• GB has had it with Rodgers, does not want to spend $58mm on him in 2023 and want to move forward.  They have Jordan Love they want to move on with.  I think there is alot of pride and ego there.  They know they have to exercise the 5th year option with Love.  If they don't, they are embarrassed today, maybe worse.  if they do, they live to fight another season or two.  They basically said publicly that they would start Love to embarrass Rodgers.  It is really in their interest to unload the contract for nothing, but their price is too high, because they don't want to be embarrassed on that too.  They basically signed a 39 year old QB to too big of a contract last year.   By getting too little compensation for Rodgers GB's FO admits that the contract was a colossal screwup.  
  • The Jets are Star F@@@ers and they desperately need a QB.  However, JD supposedly has his value chart, and they don't want to overpay.  They desperately want Rodgers but claim they will look elsewhere if his price is too high.   Getting Rodgers keeps Saleh and JD employed another 3 years.   I don't think Jimmy G is plan B.  Plan B is Brissett/Mayfield/White + Wilson or whomever.  Plan B is a mess and a new FO in 2024.  
  • Rodgers is Rodgers.  He wants his money.  He wants to start.  He wants to be in control.  He wants his friends to play with him.  He is not necessarily rational or reasonable.

So who blinks first here?  

JD should offer GB something decent this year with a conditional pick next year.  Give them the first (32) if the Jets win the SB.  We call that Schmuck Insurance.  Rodgers should tell GB that he is showing up regardless of whether he plays, and he wants his money.  GB, if thinking clearly, should take the opportunity to unload Rodgers, and run.  

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

You must have missed the Daniel Jones news

Not talking about Jones. Talking about Mayfield or a Mayfield level QB who is head and shoulders above what is presently on the roster which is not saying much about the present QB room on the Jets. An average QB can lead this team to the playoffs given the overall talent upgrade that has been assembled  

Zach is not the answer and never will be and I would be absolutely floored if he ever did turn it around as a NYJ 

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

A couple points 

I seem like the most negative fan now, during silly season, but during the actual season, I'm level headed. I just don't go from extreme optimism to extreme pessimism. They are a last place team, until they prove otherwise. 

Rodgers is done. I know you don't want to agree with that or have a real discussion about it, so we won't. He's also kind of a flake of a teammate and annoying as a person. He's going to get hurt. These things are going to be overlooked right now but again, give it 6 months. I'll still be around and hey, you can gloat if I'm wrong. 

as for the last line, this is what the kids call Gatekeeping

it's not your place to evaluate my fandom and declare it good or bad. I can root for this team any way I like. There's no wrong way to eat a Reese's. 

It's not like the bandwagon is overflowing. Here's a sobering fact there's no county in America where Jets fans are the majority. We literally have no home turf to defend. What kind of fan do you want me to be after a 12 year playoff drought the longest in major sport? 

I could sit here and say you all are foolish as f. Hopeful in the face of hopeless circumstances. 

But I don't because it's not one fan's place to judge another fan.

In your opinion, do you think Rodgers is washed? Do you think he'd be motivated in NY? 

It seems like him not participating in workouts with WRs hurt you guys. I feel like I'd want to make sure he's 100% ready to go.

As far as compensation, I'm thinking 2nd this year and a conditional 2024 pick based on performance/returning

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

This is how I see it:

• GB has had it with Rodgers, does not want to spend $58mm on him in 2023 and want to move forward.  They have Jordan Love they want to move on with.  I think there is alot of pride and ego there.  They know they have to exercise the 5th year option with Love.  If they don't, they are embarrassed today, maybe worse.  if they do, they live to fight another season or two.  They basically said publicly that they would start Love to embarrass Rodgers.  It is really in their interest to unload the contract for nothing, but their price is too high, because they don't want to be embarrassed on that too.  They basically signed a 39 year old QB to too big of a contract last year.   By getting too little compensation for Rodgers GB's FO admits that the contract was a colossal screwup.  
  • The Jets are Star F@@@ers and they desperately need a QB.  However, JD supposedly has his value chart, and they don't want to overpay.  They desperately want Rodgers but claim they will look elsewhere if his price is too high.   Getting Rodgers keeps Saleh and JD employed another 3 years.   I don't think Jimmy G is plan B.  Plan B is Brissett/Mayfield/White + Wilson or whomever.  Plan B is a mess and a new FO in 2024.  
  • Rodgers is Rodgers.  He wants his money.  He wants to start.  He wants to be in control.  He wants his friends to play with him.  He is not necessarily rational or reasonable.

So who blinks first here?  

JD should offer GB something decent this year with a conditional pick next year.  Give them the first (32) if the Jets win the SB.  We call that Schmuck Insurance.  Rodgers should tell GB that he is showing up regardless of whether he plays, and he wants his money.  GB, if thinking clearly, should take the opportunity to unload Rodgers, and run.  

Very nice post. Would read again.

• Upvote 2

He has made up his mind, he made it up long ago.  This is perfect for Rodgers, Packers are desperate to get away from, him the Jets are desperate to get him, he can just hang on and lap up the attention for as long as possible until he is given some deadline which either side will be terrified to give him.

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1

14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I predicted Patrick Mahomes would be a great NFL QB and am on record the day before the draft wanting the Jets to make that pick rather than Jamal Adams

I predicted Penei Sewell would be a Pro Bowler, that happened.

I predict lots of options that work out, people just like to remember when I'm wrong more. 

Aye, we all do. 

If you recall, I predicted Watson would be great that same draft.  Yet people still joke about Patrick Ramsey from decades ago, lol.

The problem is not backwards looking, it's forward looking: 

You're taking a very "the only winning move is not to play" position of late.

We saw him lose to the Jets and the Lions 20-16 he's breaking down. This is the swan song of Aaron Rodgers. Don't shoot the messenger.

No one wants to shoot you Bit.  

But you're choosing to ignore than "broken down" Rodgers is still better than any QB the Jets have ever fielded, with the exception of a few select seasons.

If Rodgers improves even slightly from his down year (which IS possible), he's likely to produce the single best production season in Jets history.

What on earth is the problem with that?

The OL is also terrible. 

Injury prone.  Wasn't terrible before that.

And it can be fixed with a draft pick or two this year.

What is your argument here, that we can't even think about QB till we have the best O-line in the NFL?

I argue against bad moves. They should pay young players that deserve it. Not extend CJ Usomah who sucks.

Who at QB is this "young player who deserves it"?

Sure, pay QW, aye, and the LB'ers too, but the team still needs a huge leap of improvement at QB Bit, because QW isn't QB'ing us to the playoffs after he gets paid.  He may not even be a great DT frankly, since he's only been big dollar worthy this last year...

Zach's year was supposed to be an up year for QBs no one knows the strength of the QB class until after the fact.

So who are you picking then?

Every mock I see has Young, Levis, Stroud and Richardson gone by pick #13.

So who is your young guy then?  And why is that guy worth investing another two-three year trial period on?

bottom line people don't want to hear anything negative this time of year. So go ahead and hope what you want to hope. Don't listen to me I'm just a depressed Nihilist

does that make you feel better? 

Bit, I'm your friend mate, come on.  I'm not trying to insult you, but reacting to the universally negative viewpoint you've taken on more and more in recent years.

Again, if you're making a dedicated pessimistic cynic like me address it, you KNOW you're being negative, lol.  Or just contrarian, who knows.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

it's not your place to evaluate my fandom and declare it good or bad. I can root for this team any way I like. There's no wrong way to eat a Reese's. 

It's not like the bandwagon is overflowing. Here's a sobering fact there's no county in America where Jets fans are the majority. We literally have no home turf to defend. What kind of fan do you want me to be after a 12 year playoff drought the longest in major sport? 

I could sit here and say you all are foolish as f. Hopeful in the face of hopeless circumstances. 

But I don't because it's not one fan's place to judge another fan.

I actually and honestly agree with the above and would have responded the same. Bit,  Maybe it comes out wrong, but I'm not judging you.  All of us focus on the negative one time or another.  I've just never seen anything else from you.   Never.  Maybe I missed it.  I'm honestly wondering why you're here.  It is perplexing.  I just don't see any fandom at all.  Glad to know that in some way you still are a fan. 

Anyway.... Rodgers is good for two years, IMO.  So we totally disagree on that specific issue. And that's the most important one.  And with this issue, we will revisit if he becomes a NY Jet.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Very nice post. Would read again.

Plan B is the problem b/c if they have another good draft and don’t reach the playoffs the narrative will be, why didn’t you just pay carr, you would have made the playoffs.  So i think going all in on rodgers has to be woody’s idea b/c then at least if they don’t get him and the season goes to crap, woody can’t blame not getting carr on jd.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Just wrong on many levels. The Jets have not objectively earned any recent optimism or benefit of the doubt. If you wish to give it to them anyway, that is your choice and your fandom and more power to you. But people who are in a strict “prove it” relationship with the team at this point don’t have to have any agenda other than to not want to be made fools of again like (to use another cartoon analogy) Charlie Brown and the football.

Agreed.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

But that is ignoring the astronomical upside of Rodgers. There is no one else like that short of Lamar that you could swing for. IMO Rodgers is the most likely to give you playoff caliber QB play with the hope of MVP level.

Again that’s the issue. Can Rodgers still be the MVP caliber QB in his heyday. This is just a huuuuuuge gamble

If he doesn’t revert back to that form this organization gets set back even further and all the talent that has been assembled will be lost due to the  exorbitant cost of Rodgers contract if it is not restructured to make it more cap friendly 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I'd imagine if we don't hear back or get the response we want by week's end we put in an offer for Lamar Jackson.

I can’t see douglas parting with multiple 1st round picks to get him.  Plus the ravens could resign him at any point before rodgers makes his decision.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

I’ve been saying this for the last couple days. Marino did the same thing to Minnesota and ended up retiring. I know there’s a lot of money on the line and it doesn’t seem likely but it’s still possible. Especially with this weirdo! 

Marino turned down $5m after making $51m in his career. (Turned down 9% career earnings)

Rodgers is set to make $110m over 2 years after making $300m in his career. (Turning down 25% career earnings)

Rodgers would be turning down Marinos career earnings + $7m for 1 year of play.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Warfish said:

We're gonna look like schmucks if he retires.

Worse, we're gonna look like stupid schmucks if he takes a few weeks into the Free Agency period to make the decision.

/facepalm, hope for the best, fear the worst.....

He knows the timetable, he wont wait longer than this week.