Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

17 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

I'll take my chances with a guy who clearly understands the position mentally, and has proven that he can also do it physically. We haven't had  a guy capable of either in decades. Sure, he may not be where he was previously, but I am supremely confident he'll have a better year than Baker Mayfield. As I type that, I'm questioning why I am even engaging in this ridiculous discussion.

By your own admission you stated that Rodgers would be an average QB. My point was and is why are you or any one else willing to pay 40 million for an old average QB when there are plenty of average QBs that are far less expensive 

• More Ugh 1

2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

If Rodgers retires they have to immediately pivot to Lamar. 

-3 yrs $135 million fully guaranteed with 2 void years for Cap purposes.

-$80 million Signing bonus

Year 1

Base Salary (GTD): $10 million

Cap hit: $28 million

Year 2

Base Salary (GTD):$20 million

Cap hit: $38 million

Year 3

Base Salary (GTD): $25 million

Cap hit: $43 million

-$36 million dead cap money after 3rd year. 

-Agreement to not franchise tag 

I've read Ravens have already offered $133mm guaranteed.  gonna need to be more than that. 

But I'm with you.  Make a big offer....and go for it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

How do you know they don't?

Look, I get it. Half the guys here think that Aaron Rodgers owes them a quick answer on what amounts to a major, personal life decision just because they want to know today. Clearly, they are they humble ones compared to Mr Ego.

He doesn't owe us an answer, it's his life and he can do what he wants.  But the Jets should really start really considering signing Jimmy or making Jackson an offer.  

Rodgers should understand that too as he makes a decision.  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Gibby said:

Anyone willing to give up half the asking price for Lamar should have their head examined.

quit on his team, gets hurt, has never been as good as his rookie year. That money and compensation would be ludicrous.

Oh that’s cute we have another parrot  repeating nonsense from the idiot espn station, look at you champ 

Shaun The Sheep Movie Ok GIF

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I've read Ravens have already offered $133mm guaranteed.  gonna need to be more than that. 

But I'm with you.  Make a big offer....and go for it.

They offered 5 years with $135 million guaranteed. This is 3 yrs with franchise tag protections and gets him another contract at 29.

• Upvote 1

It's entirely up to him and the Jets are committed to giving him the space to make the decision. Yes the angst is awful as a fan, but the Jets expected this. This recruitment started well before the meeting so it's not like this hasn't been in the works for a while... I'm sure that was expressed and I'm sure they'll schedule follow up calls/meetings as needed because there's a ton to go over, but I don't anticipate this dragging out much longer personally. They have a soft deadline set at March 12, but the Jets will surely spend their weekend finalizing their FA plans, so my guess is they will hope to have an answer by Friday unless for some reason Rodgers asks for more time. At that point I'm not sure how the Jets would answer, but it honestly doesn't benefit Rodgers to wait longer either if he wants to be included in personnel decisions (which he has insinuated he does). 

I'm just guessing, but Rodgers probably is taking the day to reflect on everything they went over yesterday, making tomorrow key decision date for him. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, undertow said:

One of the dumber hot takes I see people repeating....you think Aaron Rodgers with 500 mil in the bank cares if he goes into the football HOF the same year as Tom Brady?  He's going to live a full year of his life in a different way because of this? lol

Thank you. Every time someone posts that I wonder “how dumb can they possibly be?”

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Does this mean Jets are GB are fully aligned on a deal?

Seems like that part is a non issue and they just want Rodgers to commit to playing football next year. Very frustrating.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

I don't like this at all.  Deciding whether to play for us or retire?  Maybe he's pissed because there are no other teams wanting his services...either way, it sucks balls.  Come on Aaron, wake up and die right and quit Fing around.

He's playing.   Like a rich man with power, he wants more.  Throwing out the possibility of retirement just gets the Jets even more antsy to give him more say in what goes on with the team.    

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

So many conflicting details out there but this has been a guy who has been on top of the story.  Take note of him & Trey Wingo over Peter King and others.  

No matter what happens with Rodgers, I think we can all agree that Trey Wingo suddenly running sh*t is the biggest story of the offseason!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, CSNY said:

By your own admission you stated that Rodgers would be an average QB. My point was and is why are you or any one else willing to pay 40 million for an old average QB when there are plenty of average QBs that are far less expensive 

Like Daniel Jones?  He = $41 mill per year. 

So TBH, I'll take Rodgers for $41 mill per year for 2 yrs over Jones for $41 million/yr for 4 yrs.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, MR.GANGGREEN28 said:

I’m very much optimistic he accepts a trade if those are truly his only 2 options but imagine how comically SOJ that would be, Rodgers choosing retirement over being a Jet..

If he chooses retirement over the Jets then expect every Jets fan to take a beating everywhere.....

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, MR.GANGGREEN28 said:

I’m very much optimistic he accepts a trade if those are truly his only 2 options but imagine how comically SOJ that would be, Rodgers choosing retirement over being a Jet..

It would probably be the most Jetsy thing in the history of Jetsy things..

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Rex wanted Favre back, Brett wanted to move on.

The one thing that makes this situation different: Favre always wanted to play for the Vikings. He has admitted he had revenge on his mind and  he also saw an opportunity to play for his former coach (Darrell Bevell) on a stacked roster in Minnesota. He and they felt they could win a Super Bowl together with him at the helm, but the Packers just wouldn't allow it. He ultimately agreed to play for us to avoid retirement, and after a wild year filled with injuries he retired again, only to come back and sign with none other than the Vikings. 

Rodgers doesn't have a division rival to go to (or worth going to). Most of the NFC teams who need QBs are not ready to compete or come with major flaws. The one team that would make sense - San Francisco - is not interested in him (reportedly) and he doesn't sound very interested in playing for them either. The NFC South and AFC West play Green Bay next year so I guess one TB, ATL, CAR, or LV would be plausible if revenge was truly his motivation, but which of those teams are ready to compete and can offer a favorable situation the way we can? Just seems like it has become Jets or nothing. 

• Upvote 1