Odell visiting Jets on Monday

5 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Nope he wants a top TE. Nothing can go wrong with that. ? 

I mean if we are talking today April 9th with the assumption that one 2nd rounder is going to GB there is no way you spend your 1st at 13 on a TE. Not when you have a gaping hole for a starting C and young, non-injury history LT.  

Now if JD trades down from 13 to mid 20s and picks up an additional 2nd & a 3rd that’s a different story. Though I’d argue there are still other higher needs than TE to use additional draft capital on such as DT, S, LB. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Anyone expecting Brown to play all 17 games this season?  Anyone?

I also wouldn’t rule out Douglas taking a C somewhere in the 1st (then an OT in the 2nd) but definitely in the 2nd. 

Yes.  Your head coach and GM

and to be clear... I am not saying they should not go out and get a tackle in rounds 2-5, FA, waiver wire, or UDFA even.  I am simply saying the 13th pick.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

No question Kincaid is a player. But we’re a win now team the second we decided to go after AR. So we can’t use the 13th pick on a guy that won’t be a starter or big time  contributor. That’s why I’m having a hard time figuring out who I want us to draft. Is an OT at 13 for sure starting over Becton or Brown? A DT maybe would start but likely getting less than 50% of defensive snaps. We sign OBJ… a WR is 5th on the depth chart. A TE would be 3rd or 4th on the depth chart. Only position we can actually look at right now and say the guy we’d draft at 13 would be our starter is C. And drafting a C at 13 is too high IMO. 

Yea that's exactly where I end up back at OT. I think OT is the right move. Green Bay wants a TE, I think they likely want Kincaid. Curveball would be trading Conklin post June 1st to GB

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Depends on the intentions of JD with the restructures of Conklin and Uzomah. IMO they locked them in for these next 2 years, and TE is a non factor....

BUT, IF

1) the intention was to lower cap hit this year to cut next year and

2) JD believes he doesn't have to use a 1st so solve the future of OT

Then I would be tempted to get a top TE. I think Kincaid is the best receiver in this class.

I think people underestimate the impact an elite TE would have on the offense. Look at what Gronk, Kelce and Kittle have meant to their teams.

If you have an elite weapon at RB, WR & TE it can put a lot of stress on a defense, especially if you're getting MVP level QB play. Defenses have to stay honest and won't be able to overload any particular area.

Our existing TEs are pretty good but I don't think anyone would argue they're elite game changers. 

If the Jets believe Mayer or Kincaid have elite potential I think it makes sense.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Unless Douglas is a reckless idiot, he simply can not trust our current starting OTs.  Notwithstanding all the  year-long talk about not picking OL in rd 1 this year, @slats et al. I think if the right guy is there, you go OT in rd 1.  Otherwise trade down and amass some day 2 picks if possible

You’re right, I don’t love the idea, but I’ve acknowledged that I could see value matching perceived need at OL this year. I think the team’s biggest need is actually at DT more than OT (center more than OT, too), but I doubt they’ll have a shot at one there. Maybe a dropping pass rusher? 

Since his first draft, JD has not seemed nearly as inclined to trade down. I suspect he’ll draft they way that gave him such success last year and target specific players, and move up to get them if need be. They’re all in, ready or not, for a deep playoff run this season. He wants horses now. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think people underestimate the impact an elite TE would have on the offense. Look at what Gronk, Kelce and Kittle have meant to their teams.

If you have an elite weapon at RB, WR & TE it can put a lot of stress on a defense, especially if you're getting MVP level QB play. Defenses have to stay honest and won't be able to overload any particular area.

Our existing TEs are pretty good but I don't think anyone would argue they're elite game changers. 

If the Jets believe Mayer or Kincaid have elite potential I think it makes sense.

Drafting TEs early is tricky because the position just doesn’t have first round value in general. So when you take a TE (or safety, or RB) early, you’re banking on that player player being elite to justify the pick, whereas the OT/DT/WR/etc. can justify itself with simply solid play.

Also, Kelce was drafted in the 3rd and Kittle in the 5th. I don’t know what went on with Ruckert last year, but that’s about as early as I’d generally want to take one. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, slats said:

You’re right, I don’t love the idea, but I’ve acknowledged that I could see value matching perceived need at OL this year. I think the team’s biggest need is actually at DT more than OT (center more than OT, too), but I doubt they’ll have a shot at one there. Maybe a dropping pass rusher? 

Since his first draft, JD has not seemed nearly as inclined to trade down. I suspect he’ll draft they way that gave him such success last year and target specific players, and move up to get them if need be. They’re all in, ready or not, for a deep playoff run this season. He wants horses now. 

It’d be nice to have one of these big project horse OTs in reserve for when Becton or Brown hit the bench. Optimal situation, even for a win-now scenario. 

• Upvote 2

I have a hard time seeing how bringing in a 30 year old often injured head case receiver coming off a serious knee injury is a good idea.  I would rather have almost anybody else but OBJ.  This makes no sense to me.  He has a name, but has not been productive for years.  Signing players based on reputation is just bad business.  Two catches in a Super Bowl 15 months ago means nothing.  I'm just not seeing this move, let alone for $10-15 million.  I would be shocked if he plays more than 6 games or has more than 25 receptions.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I have a hard time seeing how bringing in a 30 year old often injured head case receiver coming off a serious knee injury is a good idea.  I would rather have almost anybody else but OBJ.  This makes no sense to me.  He has a name, but has not been productive for years.  Signing players based on reputation is just bad business.  Two catches in a Super Bowl 15 months ago means nothing.  I'm just not seeing this move, let alone for $10-15 million.  I would be shocked if he plays more than 6 games or has more than 25 receptions.  

If we're going with an old wr I would much prefer Hopkins who actually played least season.

14 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

We will have trust the results of the physical

17 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Rodgers wants him. End of discussion. 

• Upvote 3

I am having a real hard time buying on to OBJ. I don't want this a-hole near my young players. He's proven that as a human, he's a real d*ck (see airplane deboarding incident), a live wire and no doubt intensifies the circus that is the Jets for 2023.

3 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

What’s interesting is OBJ had a great reputation amongst his teammates.  His issues are primarily external.  I have mixed emotions but will side with the “to hell with it, no guts no glory.   Either a big win or a total circus.   Just so long as we are all entertained.”

I see it as he is playing for an extended contract and playing with his close friend in Rodgers. I would say this would be a positive signing for both sides.

17 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

What’s interesting is OBJ had a great reputation amongst his teammates.  His issues are primarily external.  I have mixed emotions but will side with the “to hell with it, no guts no glory.   Either a big win or a total circus.   Just so long as we are all entertained.”

We’ve already been the laughing stock of the league for the last 13 years. So with adding OBJ we either are legit Super Bowl contenders or still the joke of league. Might as well take the chance on him 

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

He sure was productive when he helped get the Rams to the SB with a lot of big catches.    9 for 110+ against the 49rs in the NFCCG and the 2 catches for 50+ yards in the short time on the field in the SB wasn’t nothing.  

Agreed. And it’s not like he’s 6 months post acl tear. He tore it 14 months ago. He should be hungry and healthy. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’d be nice to have one of these big project horse OTs in reserve for when Becton or Brown hit the bench. Optimal situation, even for a win-now scenario. 

J E T S have 1 shot at superbowl over possibly the next decade.  There is < 50% chance AR plays 2024.  There is < 75% chance AR plays 17 games in 2023.  There is < 50% chance they make it to playoffs in 2023.  If they don't make it in 2023 and things go normal J E T S ways then possibility they don't sniff playoffs again this decade.

Obviously I am making up those % and being generous.  We all know there is precedent for what I am saying.

Time to gamble is now and gambling means drafting immediate impact player on either side of the ball even if it means passing up good project OT.

48 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If we're going with an old wr I would much prefer Hopkins who actually played least season.

Hopkins costs draft picks and wants a new long term deal at 20 mil per year....I understand not wanting Beckham because he's D-bag but it's a move that's easy to move on from and we are replacing Davis who makes the same money and has 30 catches a year. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

Anyone expecting Brown to play all 17 games this season?  Anyone?

I agree.  It would be nice if he can, but hard to expect it.  In the last 20 seasons, there have only been 4 OTs who started 14 or more games at age 38 or older: Lomas Brown, Ray Brown, Jason Peters and Andrew Whitworth.  2 of them are named Brown, so I guess we have that going for us.  Duane Brown will be 38 at the start of the season, and is coming off surgery. 

With Becton having played less than a full game in the last two seasons, I absolutely think OT should be in play at 13 whether we are a win now or rebuilding team.

4 minutes ago, BigB said:

OBJ comes with a lot of baggage on and off the field. You think Moore was complaining wait for post game interview if OBJ gets one pass for 10 yards. Not a big fan of his me first personality.

That’s the beauty of having a first ballot HOF QB. That nonsense stops. 

• Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, TommyT said:

I see it as he is playing for an extended contract and playing with his close friend in Rodgers. I would say this would be a positive signing for both sides.

No 30 (31 in November) year old receiver is playing for an extended contract.  You can count the number of 33-34 year old receivers in the NFL on one hand and they are all on one year deals as deep bench players or were signed during the season to fill in for injuries.  The most receptions any 33+ year old WR had in 2022 was 24. Nobody gained 300 yards.  Take a look at this list.  It's a young man's position.  and none of these players were coming off an ACL injury.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/oldest-wr-in-the-nfl-2022

He's hoping for one big last payday from the Jets, who may be dumb enough to give it to him. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I understand the need to bolster the OL with high picks from time to time, but my preference is to find the guys who fit the athletic profile that they’re looking for and stockpiling those guys in the middle rounds for development. The Jets currently have those guys plus Mitchell and AVT (although I prefer he stay at guard) as capable OTs. I just don’t see it as the massive need some are making it out to be but, again, understand that in this draft it’s a strong possibility that I’m at peace with. 

• Upvote 1

And from Florio just now on Beckham: 

The Jets officially will host free-agent receiver Odell Beckham, Jr. on Monday. The real question is whether the visit will lead to something more permanent.

That will depend on the messages exchanged by and between the Jets and Beckham.

As explained by Ian Rapoport of NFL Media, the visit will “include not only a physical but also a thorough discussion of what to expect in an Aaron Rodgers-led offense with a deep WR room,” and that “[h]ow will it all fit together is a big point of discussion.”

Beckham won’t be “the guy,” not with 2022 NFL rookie of the year Garrett Wilson leading the way and former Packers receiver Allen Lazard now in the fold. At best, OBJ would be WR3 for the NYJ — and he’d be paid accordingly.

He originally wanted $20 million per year. He tried last month to object to that characterization, while also complaining that he had only been offered $4 million. More recent reports have pegged his expectations at $15 million on a one-year deal.

That’s surely not happening, absent an incentive package that includes Pro Bowl, All-Pro, and/or Super Bowl MVP as the triggers for extra money.

At some point, Beckham needs to say “yes” to an offer, or his career won’t continue. On Monday, he and the Jets will explore whether they get there. 

This sounds a little more like the way Douglas operates. He hasn’t handed out too many unreasonable contracts, and OBJ is still on the market for a variety of reasons. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

No 30 (31 in November) year old receiver is playing for an extended contract.  You can count the number of 33-34 year old receivers in the NFL on one hand and they are all on one year deals as deep bench players or were signed during the season to fill in for injuries.  The most receptions any 33+ year old WR had in 2022 was 24. Nobody gained 300 yards.  Take a look at this list.  It's a young man's position.  and none of these players were coming off an ACL injury.

He's hoping for one big last payday from the Jets, who may be dumb enough to give it to him. 

We’re gonna have a 2 year superbowl window hopefully with Rodgers. If we can fit OBJ under our cap and AR wants him what’s the big issue really? I don’t see a downside 

Jets are down 24 to 20 and are on their own 45 with no time outs and 15 seconds left in the game.  Rodgers drops back to pass and OBJ is streaking down the sidelines, Rodgers hits him on the 49er 25...he's at the 20, 15, 10, 5....TD!!!!  JETS HAVE WON THE SB...and there you have it...lol.

• Upvote 1
  • En Fuego 1

20 minutes ago, undertow said:

Hopkins costs draft picks and wants a new long term deal at 20 mil per year....I understand not wanting Beckham because he's D-bag but it's a move that's easy to move on from and we are replacing Davis who makes the same money and has 30 catches a year. 

Hopkins might be released. You can probably get him for a 2024 6th at this point.

59 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I am having a real hard time buying on to OBJ. I don't want this a-hole near my young players. He's proven that as a human, he's a real d*ck (see airplane deboarding incident), a live wire and no doubt intensifies the circus that is the Jets for 2023.

Big misconception 

his teammates loved him. In fact they all say he was a great locker room guy / leader 

hell, he was on his way to SB MVP before his injury

6 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

They're functionally replacing Moore at 1m/year with OBJ at (?m but more than 1)/year. They both have had weird bad look blowups, but one is going to be 31, has two torn ACLs, and has zero chance of being on the team in 3 years. If you really squint at it maybe you can make it make sense but idk man