Corey Davis

Guess he’s going to be on the squad this year. Seemed like a forgone conclusion that there was no way he’d be back whether he was included in the trade or just out right released. But with reports AR is going to give the Jets some favorable contract language i guess they’ll be able to fit him under the cap for this season. This is good for us cause it plugs another hole and we can just focus on drafting the best OT at 15 instead of thinking about WR. Also, the WR corps of: GW, Lazard, Corey Davis, and Hardman is a pretty good set of weapons for Rodgers.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Who plays the slot?

Wilson, Davis and Lazard are all outside type WR's.  I truly hope the plan isn't to waste Wilson in the slot.

Hardman is not a solution IMO, anymore than Berrios was.  Mims, lol?

This unit could still use some real help, hopefully JD finds a way in this draft.

• Upvote 2

They've got five draft picks.  I'd expect him to get shopped during the draft. could hang around if there are no takers and that's not a bad thing.

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Could do worse than Corey as a reserve receiver. I’d expect Rodgers will now start influencing some of these decisions.

Except I don't think JD sees him as a "reserve".

JD has shown a penchant for faith/belief in "his guys" more than most might expect.

Zach, still here, Davis, still here, Becton, seemingly the plan at OT, Mims, still here, etc.

I won't be shocked if Davis is on the field as a starter with Wilson and Lazard week 1.

• Upvote 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

Lazard has played 42.8% of his career snaps from the slot and Hackett certainly played him there when he was in GB, so you could definitely see him there next (but who knows how the Jets will choose to use him). 

https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/03/17/ny-jets-allen-lazard-breakdown/#:~:text=For his career%2C Lazard lined,on 3.9% of his routes.

Appreciate the insight.  Lazard seems poorly aligned with your typical small and shifty slot guys, but maybe I'm wrong and he'll thrive there.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Except I don't think JD sees him as a "reserve".

JD has shown a penchant for faith/belief in "his guys" more than most might expect.

Zach, still here, Davis, still here, Becton, seemingly the plan at OT, Mims, still here, etc.

I won't be shocked if Davis is on the field as a starter with Wilson and Lazard week 1.

I should've been more specific, I mean WR3. But you're right, that's a starter.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Warfish said:

Appreciate the insight.  Lazard seems poorly aligned with your typical small and shifty slot guys, but maybe I'm wrong and he'll thrive there.

Would actually play G. Wilson in the slot a ton this year with Lazard and Davis (if he's here) on outside.

• Thumb Down 2
  • Ugh 1

Just now, mrcoops said:

Both Davis and Lazard are capable of handling the "big slot" role, so likely both will line up there sometimes - with Hardman mixed in.

Jeeze I forgot about Hardman. This offense is loaded. No wonder Rodgers wanted to play here.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

A few things here.  Todd Downing has a history with Corey Davis.  He might have requested he stick around.

They may be seeing who is available in the draft and if they take a receiver, Davis becomes expendable.

I still think it is up in the air as to if Davis returns but Im leaning towards he will be returning.

If he does, he will be the starter as he is a better player then Allen Lazard.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think it's possible he could split the role with Hardman, but I also think it's still very possible we bring in another WR. 

Depends a lot on what happens with Davis. 

Corey Davis has been a disappointment because he's been unreliable.  When he's not hurt (which is fairly often), he's dropping drive killing third down receptions too often.

The talent is there.  He has flashed it plenty of times.  He needs to stay healthy and limit the number of mental mistakes.  Perhaps he'll put it all together with Aaron Rodgers slinging the rock out there.  He can certainly find a role on this team.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Educate me JGB, what do you see about Hardman that excites you?

As a starter, not much. But it'll be the first time in forever that non-Jets fans know the name of the Jets WR4 (5 if we draft a guy).

He also has elite wheels and has a very good chance to be our returner IMHO.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Who plays the slot?

Wilson, Davis and Lazard are all outside type WR's.  I truly hope the plan isn't to waste Wilson in the slot.

This unit could still use some real help, hopefully JD finds a way in this draft.

I thought Lazard was a slot?

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Who plays the slot?

Good Lord - You are SUCH a Negative Nancy!!!! No wonder you live in your mother's basement ...

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

As a starter, not much. But it'll be the first time in forever that non-Jets fans know the name of the Jets WR4 (5 if we draft a guy).

He also has elite wheels and has a very good chance to be our returner IMHO.

I'm somewhat excited for him as a returner. He'll play the gadget Berrios role on offense, which is fine. Need Rodgers to hit him in stride every once and a while and he can be useful. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Hackett seems to like the big slots. At least that’s how it appeared in GB when he had Lazard. So don't think Berrios as his preferred slot guy but more a Michael Thomas type of guy.

My guess is Lazard plays the slot with Hardman coming for gadget plays where they run jet motion.

Wilson will definitely be on the outside.

Corey Davis also has experience playing the slot, but I think he’ll be the big outside WR. Unless we replace him. Which, for me, I would only want to upgrade him for Hopkins. No rookie please.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Lazard has played 42.8% of his career snaps from the slot and Hackett certainly played him there when he was in GB, so you could definitely see him there next year (but who knows how the Jets will choose to use him). 

https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/03/17/ny-jets-allen-lazard-breakdown/#:~:text=For his career%2C Lazard lined,on 3.9% of his routes.

Prior to coming here, Davis worked the slot about 25% of the time, too, scoring the majority of his TDs from there. It can be a strategic advantage to have him, Lazard, and Wilson in the huddle, with the defense not able to identify where they’ll they’ll line up prior to the snap. Both Lazard and Davis may also be better able to apply their blocking skills from that position. 

Jets also have a decent TE room, with Conklin and Uzomah both capable of playing inline or flanker. 

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Guy can blow the top off a defense with his elite speed. Defenses have to account for him as a deep threat

This offense will have more guys running crossing routes and there will be a few more mesh concepts i believe.  His speed plays very big there.  and the ability to move him around the formation plays right into Hacketts plans. 

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Who plays the slot?

Hardman is speedy last time.i checked...*checks notes*...yes he would make a great slot wr. Also we probably move guys around...g Wilson can play slot so can Davis and lazard. You have to be pretty happy with the WR room honestly 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

This offense will have more guys running crossing routes and there will be a few more mesh concepts i believe.  His speed plays very big there.  and the ability to move him around the formation plays right into Hacketts plans. 

Will also be nice to have a big boy offensive scheme that doesn't have to be "simplified" (read: dumbed down) by week 6 because the Jets QB du jour can't process it.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I thought Lazard was a slot?

So it would seem.

Sounds (reading this) that everyone will play slot, and everyone will play outside.

Sounds alot like the MLF "everyone needs to know every position" thing, but maybe Hackett will run it better, and surely Rodgers will throw it better.

• Upvote 1