Thoughts and Prayers for Shaq Barrett

7 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

This is, pardon my french, a ******* stupid take, and you should do whatever you have to do to make sure you don't let it cross your pie hole ever again. I've seen kids do things that I didn't remotely suspect they were capable of, instantly changing what anyone would have thought was reasonable precautions into insufficient ones. Yeah, the parents - and older siblings (there are 3) - are pretty much all going to be thinking "I could have saved her if I just ..." for the rest of their lives, even the youngest of those older siblings who's barely out of toddler status himself. They don't need people like you adding to that burden.

Yep, nobody is ever going to feel worse than how they feel right now. As a father of 5 kids, it's simply terrifying how quickly kids can go from safe to being in imminent danger at the blink of an eye in a lot of cases no matter how careful you are. Prayers and love to the family and friends. 

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

This is, pardon my french, a ******* stupid take, and you should do whatever you have to do to make sure you don't let it cross your pie hole ever again. I've seen kids do things that I didn't remotely suspect they were capable of, instantly changing what anyone would have thought was reasonable precautions into insufficient ones. Yeah, the parents - and older siblings (there are 3) - are pretty much all going to be thinking "I could have saved her if I just ..." for the rest of their lives, even the youngest of those older siblings who's barely out of toddler status himself. They don't need people like you adding to that burden.

I think your take is dumb. What he said was fair and my thoughts on it were how could that even happen? I have a two year old myself well almost 2. She is 19 months. There is zero chance she drowns in our pool. Zero. Something is very wrong there for that to have happened. I wish I knew some of the details cause I want to know what happened. What if what happened can help someone else prevent the same. Anyway your whole self righteous take is stupid.

That family can give two shots about some internet comment. I think someone is probably responsible and they probably know who it is. It's just terrible. Terrible thing, that 100 percent should have not and was preventable.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Yep, nobody is ever going to feel worse than how they feel right now. As a father of 5 kids, it's simply terrifying how quickly kids can go from safe to being in imminent danger at the blink of an eye in a lot of cases no matter how careful you are. Prayers and love to the family and friends. 

? 

7 hours ago, TommyT said:

Got it.

Nothing wrong with your comment. You were correct. Only in our sick world is the truth shunned in favor of feelings. Truth is it should have never happened. Period. That's it. Not more complicated than that. Terrible of course but that person wants you to shut your mouth . It's just sick. Kids and people are not helped by pretending stuff doesn't exist or cencoring it. That two year should have been watched. It's tragic but preventable. It's not ok that the kid drowned. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Pretty sure you can precent a kid from drowning if your paying attention. Let's not pretend well things happen is acceptable. Kids don't just drown. As a parent I can only speak for me and I agree it goes from everything fine to oh sh*t real quick with kids sure. But drowning in a pool is 100 ? percent preventable. Pretendng  it's not, doesn't actually do anything good.

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Pretty sure you can precent a kid from drowning if your paying attention. Let's not pretend well things happen is acceptable. Kids don't just drown. As a parent I can only speak for me and I agree it goes from everything fine to oh sh*t real quick with kids sure. But drowning in a pool is 100 ? percent preventable. Pretendng  it's not, doesn't actually do anything good.

I guess in a perfect world that’s correct, I just never lived in that world. I’m not sure anyone’s was suggesting its acceptable, it’s terribly tragic and accidents aren’t always predicated by negligence. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

13 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

You aren’t wrong but **** man things happen fast as sh*t sometimes

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I guess in a perfect world that’s correct, I just never lived in that world. I’m not sure anyone’s was suggesting it’s acceptable, it’s terribly tragic and accidents aren’t always predicated by negligence. 

My kid fell in a pool once yes I was right there and pulled her immediately out but if I had walked over to the grill to flip the burgers would I have rounded all the kids up, put them in the house, then flipped the burgers, then let them all back out? Probably not. you also don’t always hear them go in and drowning is not like the movies with people always kicking and screaming. More often than not it happens surprisingly silently. My daughter just floated down, saw those big brown saucer eyes looking up at me like “dad, assist?” 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I think your take is dumb. What he said was fair and my thoughts on it were how could that even happen? I have a two year old myself well almost 2. She is 19 months. There is zero chance she drowns in our pool. Zero. Something is very wrong there for that to have happened. I wish I knew some of the details cause I want to know what happened. What if what happened can help someone else prevent the same. Anyway your whole self righteous take is stupid.

That family can give two shots about some internet comment. I think someone is probably responsible and they probably know who it is. It's just terrible. Terrible thing, that 100 percent should have not and was preventable.

Wait until you have a 6 year old who can open the pool gate but hasn't demonstrated that to you yet, a 2 year old, and an emergency that takes your attention away for 60 seconds

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Wait until you have a 6 year old who can open the pool gate but hasn't demonstrated that to you yet, a 2 year old, and an emergency that takes your attention away for 60 seconds

huh?

you can change the goal posts if you want but in every scenario the parent can be expected to not let their kid drown. A 6 year old would not need to demonstrate opening a pool gate to stop me from letting them drown. That is a non factor. kids at different ages require different things as a parent you need to consider. Its pretty much your job, you can not rationalize letting a kid drown completely preventable. 

I get it you are upset cause I am not being politically correct and holding the parent who is responsible, responsible. You have to be honest in these situations. You have to be responsible enough to protect your child from drowning. Its really just that simple. 

There is 0 number emergencies where a good parent would let their kid drown. Now don't get me wrong there could have been some freak accident, like say the parent watching the kid had a stroke lets say. But that is very unlikely, and really doesn't need to be said. Because you are not suggesting that nor am I. We are talking about the reality of it, and not watching your 2 year at the pool is terrihble is is very likely the fault of someone or multiple people in that family. 

Very tough time indeed. Sad, but 100% preventable.

2 hours ago, jgb said:

You aren’t wrong but **** man things happen fast as sh*t sometimes

My kid fell in a pool once yes I was right there and pulled her immediately out but if I had walked over to the grill to flip the burgers would I have rounded all the kids up, put them in the house, then flipped the burgers, then let them all back out? Probably not. you also don’t always hear them go in and drowning is not like the movies with people always kicking and screaming. More often than not it happens surprisingly silently. My daughter just floated down, saw those big brown saucer eyes looking up at me like “dad, assist?” 

sh*t can happen as fast as it wants, a parent can be reasonable expected to ensure their toddler doesn't drown. 

Your scenario would need the parent to not be smart enough to watch their child. As you said you pulled her up and got her, cause you were witching her. Sure if you weren't it could have gone badly. And I agree if can happen with no warning. Being a parent requires you to prevent the really bad situations. Unless you are saying a parent should be ok to just you know not watch kids in the pool at a young age then I'm not really sure what your argument is, because it would seem you agree.

Now my daughter has been in the pool well before she was 1, as well as in a bath (mini pool), zero chance of her drowning.

Zero. And Im not even some kind of great parent, i do ok but like most I think Im winging it. 

Bottom line someone there messed up and it was not the toddler and it wasnt just by some magically whim. It was def the parent fault period.

• Thumb Down 3

3 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

No one knows what happened.

• Upvote 1

Guys honestly lets stop arguing over this ..its a horrible situation and fighting over who is right and who is wrong really makes no sense at this stage. Just pray the family can get through this because its going to be really difficult for them moving forward.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

nope. can't go there... as some of you may remember, came really close to losing my son a few years ago when he fell out of window. It's game over when you think you might lose them. Pemanently. 

All of the love to Shaq. 

• Sympathy 6

2 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

huh?

you can change the goal posts if you want but in every scenario the parent can be expected to not let their kid drown. A 6 year old would not need to demonstrate opening a pool gate to stop me from letting them drown. That is a non factor. kids at different ages require different things as a parent you need to consider. Its pretty much your job, you can not rationalize letting a kid drown completely preventable. 

I get it you are upset cause I am not being politically correct and holding the parent who is responsible, responsible. You have to be honest in these situations. You have to be responsible enough to protect your child from drowning. Its really just that simple. 

There is 0 number emergencies where a good parent would let their kid drown. Now don't get me wrong there could have been some freak accident, like say the parent watching the kid had a stroke lets say. But that is very unlikely, and really doesn't need to be said. Because you are not suggesting that nor am I. We are talking about the reality of it, and not watching your 2 year at the pool is terrihble is is very likely the fault of someone or multiple people in that family. 

Very tough time indeed. Sad, but 100% preventable.

You have reading comprehension issues, but I hope like hell that you never learn for yourself how wrong you are

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

I've pulled 3 kids out of pools. 2 of them made it.... and you just described exactly what happened in each case.

• Sympathy 2