1st round edge was the right move

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I say it over and over, the NFL is an offense-dominated league.  You do not win if you do not score.

Our Offense has been ranked 28th, 29th, 28th, 11th (Fitzy), 30th, 24th, 23rd, 31st, 32nd, 28th and 29th since 2012.

No wonder we're the leader by far in years without a playoff appearance.  

Closest we came, yup, 2015 with Fitz and the 11th ranked scoring Offense.

And yet, we as a team invest far heavier in Defense with our top picks than we do with offense.  Despite the regime, we seem to consistently try and build the 1985 Bears or the elite D era Ravens, rather than try to compete with the top Offenses.

Since 2007 we have picked Defense with our top #1 pick 13 times out of 17 years.  

Of the remaining 4 top #1 picks, three were QB's!  Sanchez, Darnold and Wilson.

Only once in the past 17 years has our top #1 pick been a non-QB Offensive player, and that was Becton. 

And what do we have to show for this incredible investment of draft capital to the Defense and the constant hiring of Defense minded HEad Coaches?

The longest streak of uncompetitive football in the NFL.

So in desperation, due to our ongoing failure to find or identify a QB, we got Aaron Rodgers.  That is awesome if he still has it (and I think he does).  But he isn't Jesus Christ, he doesn't walk on water, and he won't turn water into wine.  Our supporting cast is thin, subpar at many spots and unreliable health-wise (O-line) and our skill position players have only two elite talents, one of whom is coming back off a horrible injury and is 100% TBD if he'll be the same guy.

All this said, I just think the route to change is CHANGE, to try and win by building elite talent on offense.  Not doing the same old defense, defense, defense think we've always done, especially with a pick like this one that is almost all athleticism/RAS score based, who at most will only be a rotational guy while we have Rodgers.

We paid alot to get Rodgers, I would have gotten him another weapon.  But clearly, mot of the forum does not agree and loves bendy gumby, lol.

Once you have a QB - it's coaching, luck, and defense. Oh and health. 

I don't think a first round WR was gonna suddenly launch this team into elite status. 

• Upvote 4

I can’t Susan fir the board but as someone who doesn’t follow the draft or college football much I reacted like a dipsh*t because I never heard of the guy before. But now that I recognize his name U agree it’s a need. Plus the jumping over cars. Doing back  flips and riding a unicycle things appeals to the fat silly fool in me! 
Just wait till he does a back flip over a car while riding a unicycle. Superbowl baby!

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, undertow said:

If JD was hung up on "positional value" not sure he would be taking RBs and centers in the early 2nd and trading up for guards. 

I don't know what your point is. So because he may or may not have reached before on certain positions, he has to reach forever? The fact is, whether or not he's hung up on it or not, the position he drafted has value in the 1st round.

I swear this is what you see in politics now. "IF THAT'S THE CASE THEN HOW COME" "THEN WHAT ABOUT."

Fact: Edge Rusher is a good pick in the first round

End of story

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Our offense didn't lack weapons or even a decent O-line. It lacked a NFL level QB and a healthy O-line, not to mention the season-ending injury of one of our best offensive weapons in Hall. They added talent in FA on the offensive side and depth on the OL. Rodgers is the key to making all that work. So yeah, Gumby looks like a very sensible choice, given the alternatives that were left at the 15th pick. 

The Jets reached at least 24 pts 3 games in a row (when Breece had 60% of the snaps).

They reached 24 pts 1 time in the next 10 games

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, undertow said:

If JD was hung up on "positional value" not sure he would be taking RBs and centers in the early 2nd and trading up for guards. 

I think the one move that stands out is trading up for AVT (although AVT is a pretty unique talent since he can also play tackle in a pinch) and also trying to trade into the first round last year to take Hall (ended up getting him in the early 2nd). 

But every other first round pick has been at a premium position (Becton, ZW, Sauce, GW). 

Someone asked Douglas about this (I believe at the predraft press conference last year) and he basically said that "positional need' is built into the draft board. So, they rank the players by how good they are at their relative positions and how much getting an impact player at that position would help the Jets, specifically. 

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

I don't know what your point is. So because he may or may not have reached before on certain positions, he has to reach forever? The fact is, whether or not he's hung up on it or not, the position he drafted has value in the 1st round.

I swear this is what you see in politics now. "IF THAT'S THE CASE THEN HOW COME" "THEN WHAT ABOUT."

Fact: Edge Rusher is a good pick in the first round

End of story

I didn't say it was a bad pick I said JD went BPA which is what he did....I also didn't say the other moves were bad it was evidence that he wasn't targeting a position.  I see the JD cult is back to freak out over ever discussion on player personnel decisions...... you guys must have been busy with Zach Wilson the past few years. lol

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I think the one move that stands out is trading up for AVT (although AVT is a pretty unique talent since he can also play tackle in a pinch) and also trying to trade into the first round last year to take Hall (ended up getting him in the early 2nd). 

But every other first round pick has been at a premium position (Becton, ZW, Sauce, GW). 

Someone asked Douglas about this (I believe at the predraft press conference last year) and he basically said that "positional need' is built into the draft board. So, they rank the players by how good they are at their relative positions and how much getting an impact player at that position would help the Jets, specifically. 

And AVT might end up being a tackle...

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, jgb said:

The jets biggest draft investment was on offense — Aaron Rodgers. You can’t pretend away the trade to say the draft was overweighted on defense.

Jets fans; “we gave up far too much for Rodgers!”

Also Jets fans: “We didn’t invest enough in offense!”

We’ll, if you think he is a fix-all savior for this O, then I could see where you might think a second edge #1 after last years edge #1 was best.

Guess we’ll see. If our O finishes top 10 then I guess I was wrong. That’ll be the coolest wrong I’ll have ever been.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We’ll, if you think he is a fix-all savior for this O, then I could see where you might think a second edge #1 after last years edge #1 was best.

Guess we’ll see. If our O finishes top 10 then I guess I was wrong. That’ll be the coolest wrong I’ll have ever been.

No, just challenging the premise that we over-allocated our assets on defense (didn’t we also draft a OL, RB and TE this draft??) when we just traded for Aaron Rodgers at a price people are losing their sh*t over.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

My hope is no because I think he's built to be a dominant guard but just a serviceable tackle. But definitely could happen. 

I hear ya, but like, he looked pretty damn good @ tackle too. 

More to the original point, I don't think it's fair to label AVT as just a guard - he's probably an A+ guard and a B @ tackle.

I think it's not as straightforward to gauge his value appropriately in the normal 'positional importance' debate because of his ability to play tackle at a high level.

• Upvote 3

I have absolutely no issue with taking EDGE in the first round.  By my count, there were 7 of them taken in the first round this year.

As always, it's going to come down to the player.

From what I've seen, MacDonald is fast, can bend, and seems to have a nose for strip sacks.  For a defense which seems to consistently underperform when it comes to fumble recoveries and turnovers in general, it's a big need.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3

6 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I hear ya, but like, he looked pretty damn good @ tackle too. 

More to the original point, I don't think it's fair to label AVT as just a guard - he's probably an A+ guard and a B @ tackle.

I think it's not as straightforward to gauge his value appropriately in the normal 'positional importance' debate because of his ability to play tackle at a high level.

Agreed. 

You can also probably say the same thing about Tippman - who can has potential to be very good NFL guard should they decide to go that route (although I think he's going to be our center sooner than later) 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

I don't think it's that clear cut.

For the past 10 years (including 4 years before the Chiefs drafted Patrick Mahomes), the Chiefs have only drafted 3 offensive players in the first round. The QB part of it is a big deal and you also have to determine value.

@Warfish probably lauded the Clyde Edwards-Helaire pick for the Chiefs too.  And now their starting RB is....a 7th rounder.

A really good EDGE is going to help Aaron Rodgers more than a slot receiver like JSN ever could.

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I can’t Susan fir the board but as someone who doesn’t follow the draft or college football much I reacted like a dipsh*t because I never heard of the guy before. But now that I recognize his name U agree it’s a need. Plus the jumping over cars. Doing back  flips and riding a unicycle things appeals to the fat silly fool in me! 

Hey bet he cant flip burgers and pancackes like you though. ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1