Matt Maiocco: Darnold most talented thrower 49ers have ever had, Frank Gore

Sam Darnold and the 49ers will be the 1 seed this season in the NFC.

That’s when you will find out what Sam is made of.

And with finally the right coaches, and a sh*t ton of talent I see the cream rising to the top.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, “thrower of the football” is a back-handed compliment. The context of the quotes are better read as “Trey Lance is trash.” ::

“All things being equal, Brock Purdy would be the starting quarterback Week 1 for the 49ers, however, all things aren’t equal. That opens up a huge set of circumstances and what ifs that we don’t know who is going to be the starting quarterback for the 49ers Week 1, and whoever, if it’s someone other than Brock Purdy, that person just runs with it and plays great football, then how eager are the 49ers to make a change?

Damn, you should start a movement or some shit. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Larz said:

It’s the brain farts that always get Sam , not his arm. 

The Shannahan offense is so well designed I think it will remove the brain farts for the most part.

Its literally give it to Deebo or Cmac then play action Kittle wide open one read, or a roll out with misdirection just having to flick the ball to the wide open playmakers that always seem to be wide open.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

And with finally the right coaches, and a sh*t ton of talent I see the cream rising to the top.

Because Darnold is a meathead, he can’t operate the quick game and struggles to throw short, which is a prerequisite for Shanahan’s system. He’ll be benched once Purdy can put his shirt on without help. 

Darnold 2022 (and always)

IMG_3885.jpeg

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I heard this same sh*t with the Panthers two years ago.

Darnold is going into his 6th season. He pretty much is what he is at this point. A career backup.

Was that also true of Geno Smith going into this past season?

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Here are relevant positions from the article from which this post was made...

https://www.knbr.com/2023/05/04/matt-maiocco-says-sam-darnold-might-be-most-talented-thrower-of-football-49ers-have-ever-had/

“He might be — can I say this — the most talented thrower of the football that the 49ers have ever had,” Maiocco said much to the shock of Murph & Mac. “Let’s just put him in the very high echelon of guys who can just drop back in the pocket and throw the football. I think that he hasn’t really had any chance to succeed since his college days are over. I think he’s had four head coaches in five years, five offensive coordinators in five years. He’s a talented guy.”

A 49ers legend who once played with Darnold also had positive things to say.

“Frank Gore popped his head in at the 49ers local pro day, and was like ‘You will be shocked at what you see from Sam Darnold,'” Maiocco said. “Frank Gore is a Sam Darnold guy. They spent one year together with the Jets, and he just felt like he didn’t have any chance to succeed.”

Good Luck Sam but it is hard to really believe he will turn around after the Jets & Panthers.....

Some of us never jumped off the bandwagon.  Though if he's going to turn things around, this is definitely the year.  Terrific coach and a terrific team.  Plus, now he has 5 years of experience. 

• Upvote 4

55 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

When you typed this did you have on you’re  rainbow stripe propeller hat or the solid colored one? 

• Haha 1

In all fairness to him, he’s had a rough go to begin his career. It would have been hard for anyone to succeed in the situations he’s been in. This is the first time he’s in a situation where he’ll have a legit shot to run a competent offense with a competent coaching staff. Will that mean he’ll pull an Alex smith? No, but at least he’ll be in a situation that gives him a chance.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

He almost led the Panthers to a division title when he took over for the 3-8 Panthers after Baker Mayfield was kicked to the Carolina curb. With no Christian McCaffrey, he led the Panthers to a 3-1 record over their next 4 games (Broncos W, Seahwaks W,  Steelers L, Lions W) and it took a Brady comeback to stop him from a 4th win in 5 games and winning the NFC South. During that 5 game stretch Sam had a QB Rating of 105.4, threw 7 TD's 1 INT and rushed for 2 TD's.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DarnSa00/gamelog/2022/#51-55-sum:stats

With that stacked 49ers team and Kyle Shanahan drawing up plays for him, we may see another ex-Jets QB win "Comeback" player of the year in 2023. 

Overstating his “led them” a bit, no? Also sans-McCaffrey sounds like a hardship the way you’re framing it, but all 3 of those wins came by the ground game controlling the ball & rushing to the tune of 185, 220, and 300+ yards while the D held the opponent. What a trooper.

- vs Den all Carolina did was control the ball by running it nearly 50x to the tune of some 180 yards, just moving chains. He had one nice, tight window sideline throw to Moore early but the rest to Moore he was easily open. Even friggin’ Zach game-managed a win against Denver, ffs.

- vs Seattle again the D held them to under 20 (until a last second garbage time TD) while the offense ran the ball for 200+ yards. Darnold had a pathetic 120 yards passing. His lone TD was on a “drive” he got to start on Seattle’s 13 yd line after a Geno pick. Yay.

- vs Pit he did the same game managing even when the ground game wasn’t working, so they lost. He even got a free set of downs for a FG after Marcus Allen literally ran into the Panthers’ huddle when they had them at 4th & 27. Lost anyway.

- vs Detroit, again Carolina controlled the ground game still put up 300 rushing yards. On the opening TD drive, they didn’t even let Darnold attempt a pass (6 straight rushes for 80 yds into the EZ). His first & only TD pass merely extended the lead from 24-7 to 31-7.  His long completion to DJ Moore should’ve been a walk-in TD with any accurate passer, but Darnold’s sh***y throw 5 yards off-target allowed the coverage he’d beaten by 5 yards to get him. Next pass was to an open DJ Moore. This story in Carolina is more about what a weapon Moore is, not Darnold (like Wilson & Wilson here).

I noticed Darnold’s last 2 games were conspicuously left out of this framing of his Carolina days, as though he’d finished there on some sort of high note rather:

- vs Tampa he threw an early pick and then with Car needing a FG to tie it on their last drive, he fumbled on his own 6 to make a 3-pt deficit into it a 2-score Tampa lead with 2 min left to seal it.

- vs NO he was 5/15 for 40 yards, with 0 TDs and 2 picks, fumbled twice, and won anyway as the game’s lone TD was scored by Carolina’s defense. It was as bad a game as the Jets’ next stiff would ever have.

Look, it’s not like Darnold has literally no talent & can’t throw a football. Of course he can. They all can (except Streveler).

He’s sucked here, and he sucked in Carolina. Maybe Shanahan can do something with him, but his on-field issues were typically neck up, not neck down - with some random really off-target throws - right to the very end with 2 of 2 teams in his 5 NFL seasons (and frankly, often before that, too).

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Yes…and?

I don’t know why people always want to run with these rare examples as if they disprove the rule.

Same thing if I say dropping a late round pick on a QB is a waste.

”Well, Tom Brady was a 6th round pick”

Yeah, and so were 500 other QB’s who never amounted to dick in the NFL.

• Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Because Darnold is a meathead, he can’t operate the quick game and struggles to throw short, which is a prerequisite for Shanahan’s system. He’ll be benched once Purdy can put his shirt on without help. 

IMG_3885.jpeg

Kittle and Deebo will feast on those 10-19 yard throws.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

When you typed this did you have on you’re  rainbow stripe propeller hat or the solid colored one? 

If you can’t have an adult conversation don’t respond, keep the personal insinuations that can be construed as a personal attack.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

IMG_3885.jpeg

Who do you think would be better in that offense, darnold or wilson?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, neckdemon said:

no he doesn't have better arm talent than either of those guys. maybe MAYBE you mean he has a stronger arm than either of them did? but thats not all there is to it. arm talent is such a stupid vague term anyway. if you can't throw the ball accurately in all sorts of different situations then your "arm talent" is sh*te

No - I meant arm talent. He’s not as accurate as either QB was - I agree 

10 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I heard this same sh*t with the Panthers two years ago.

Darnold is going into his 6th season. He pretty much is what he is at this point. A career backup.

28 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

14 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Yes…and?

I don’t know why people always want to run with these rare examples as if they disprove the rule.

Same thing if I say dropping a late round pick on a QB is a waste.

”Well, Tom Brady was a 6th round pick”

Yeah, and so were 500 other QB’s who never amounted to dick in the NFL.

I guess the point is that there's a lot of uncertainty in sports.  And while I'm pointing to Geno, he actually has turned things around while Sam hasn't (at least, not yet.  And maybe not ever).  But I'm someone who, all along, has said that I think he'll come out of nowhere and surprise people (basically do what Geno did last year).  Being in SF with Shanahan and that quality team is as good an opportunity as he can possibly have.  And he's got an opportunity to play because Jimmy G is gone, Purdy is injured and Trey Lance seems to have fallen out of favor (rumors that they were looking to trade him).  This is the year he needs to prove it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Larz said:

It’s the brain farts that always get Sam , not his arm. 

People knocked Vinny T for his processing despite his great arm too.

with a great team and coaching, he had a revival in his home town. 

I can see Darnold having a similar comeback in his home state.  Good for him.  He was the anti-thesis of our current spoiled brat QB. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Do you also see dead people?  

12 minutes ago, varjet said:

People knocked Vinny T for his processing despite his great arm too.

with a great team and coaching, he had a revival in his home town. 

I can see Darnold having a similar comeback in his home state.  Good for him.  He was the anti-thesis of our current spoiled brat QB. 

I think Darnold would have succeeded with Saleh and LaFluer.

Both coaches said as much that they were very much on board with Darnold it was JD who wanted his own guy.

Not to mention the extra 3 yes 3 1st rounders that would be on this roster that we would have gotten from the 49ers to trade Wilson away.  Damn man imagine getting 3 1st rounders for Zach Wilson oh and also a 3rd.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Do you also see dead people?  

I don’t understand.

But if your saying Sam is dead then you missed the last 5 games last year when he had ZERO talent around him.  He stepped off the field handing his D a lead to make the playoffs they couldn’t stop Brady not his fault.

And I can win 10 games in that SF offense.

I’m telling you all this is going to age the same way the thread I started about Zach Wilson sucking balls after going 5-0 as a starter this season.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Some of us never jumped off the bandwagon.  Though if he's going to turn things around, this is definitely the year.  Terrific coach and a terrific team.  Plus, now he has 5 years of experience. 

I never jumped, I always blamed the Jets and specifically Gase for ruining this kid.

JD ****ed up not giving him a chance and taking the 3 1st round picks.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I noticed Darnold’s last 2 games were conspicuously left out of this framing of his Carolina days, as though he’d finished there on some sort of high note rather:

I didn't leave out the Tampa game, if you click that link those stats are with the Tampa game included. I said what the record was leading up to that game, with the NFC South division title within grasp, which is pretty remarkable considering the Panthers fired their head coach, sold off McCaffrey, and cut Baker Mayfield. Those are moves made by a team getting ready for the future, not a team that has a shot to win the division in week 17. I didn't talk about that last game vs the Saints, because that was like a pre-season game to me with both those teams out the playoffs and playing for draft position at that point. 

With all that said I think Sam Darnold is in the perfect spot in San Francisco. I think he can be better than Brock Purdy and Trey Lance. If he doesn't do well in San Fran, then I guess we can close the door on him ever being a good starting quarterback. I wouldn't bet on him being bad in San Francisco though. Can't wait to see how it all unfolds next season, and the reaction of some of the fans on JetNation. lol

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I didn't leave out the Tampa game, if you click that link those stats are with the Tampa game included. I said what the record was leading up to that game, with the NFC South division title within grasp, which is pretty remarkable considering the Panthers fired their head coach, sold off McCaffrey, and cut Baker Mayfield. Those are moves made by a team getting ready for the future, not a team that has a shot to win the division in week 17. I didn't talk about that last game vs the Saints, because that was like a pre-season game to me with both those teams out the playoffs and playing for draft position at that point. 

With all that said I think Sam Darnold is in the perfect spot in San Francisco. I think he can be better than Brock Purdy and Trey Lance. If he doesn't do well in San Fran, then I guess we can close the door on him ever being a good starting quarterback. I wouldn't bet on him being bad in San Francisco though. Can't wait to see how it all unfolds next season, and the reaction of some of the fans on JetNation. lol

I'm saying you were touting 3 wins in a 4-game stretch, which didn't include that game -- and the only game he lost in the 4-game stretch you were noting was uncoincidentally the only one where they had no running game. So that badly takes away from the idea that he was successful despite the McCaffrey loss (the premise being he was good despite the lack of an above-average production ground game, when the truth is the opposite: they still were losing over that stretch when the ground game wasn't working, and won - often despite Darnold - when the D and ground game were clicking).

So, meh & he still sucked. 

Also the tone is "I'm rooting for him, not merely because I like him, but because I want to dunk on "some of the fans on JetNation" with an "lol" added in. Doubtful you'll come back to dunk on yourself if/when he still isn't living up to hype in San Fran.

Me? I don't GAF if he'll overcome his past failures in SF any more than I GAF about Geno Smith doing the same in Seattle. He was an awful bust of a draft pick here, deserved to get replaced, and the high 2nd rounder (plus wasn't there also a 4th?) was worth more to the Jets than 1 more season of Darnold. 

He's a 49er now. He can EAD.

39 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

I feel like arm talent includes accuracy

Fair enough.

as you said - it’s an ambiguous term anyway that should probably die. Darnold’s accuracy is poop compared to any of the good to great SF QBs of the past - including Montana, Young, Jeff Garcia, Kap (yeah, I said it), Jimmy G, and Purdy.