Rumor: Corey Davis/CJ Mosley could be restructured, traded or cut.

I know loyalty is no longer part of the equation in professional, team sports, but in Mosely’s  case you have a guy that took, if I remember correctly $11 million from Woody as a Bonus payment and  then sat out the season due to fear of Covid but was seen at clubs at night,  maskless during the season.

with him, it should be all about leverage who has it and who doesn’t.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Leftylarry said:

I know loyalty is no longer part of the equation in professional, team sports, but in Mosely’s  case you have a guy that took, if I remember correctly $11 million from Woody as a Bonus payment and  then sat out the season due to fear of Covid but was seen at clubs at night,  maskless during the season.

Too soon to use the L word around here.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Leftylarry said:

And he took the year off after he sat out the entire first year of his contract due to his season ending injury in the opening game against Buffalo. 

Obviously, Mosely had nothing to do with being out for the entire year from his injury, but I think it should have motivated him to play in year #2 at least.  Unfortunately, it did not.

Mosely was dominating in that first game of his first year with the Jets until his injury in the game, but since then, while he was good in years 3 and 4, he is not the same player, and certainly not worth the money he is currently making with the Jets.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Lazard is starting over Davis... Hardman is slot... There is also Mims outside if Lazard is inside... Not 100% that Davis is a starter... 

Mosley is not getting cut, traded maybe if they find another trade.

Really? You have Hardman starting over Davis when any one of GW, Lazard or Davis can play in the slot?

Come on man.

It’d be easier for you to just say you don’t like Davis. Then say Hardman is starting over him.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, Leftylarry said:

Those we photos from pre Covid. 

• Upvote 1

As mentioned, I believe the Jets will be picking up a starting level WR and I do believe, a mid tier RB, prior to training camp, or as early as this coming week. I think we have mentioned some of the WRs already. An RB such as Leonard Fournette or someone at his level, would be an efficient RB to sign. There have been some rumblings of a mutual interest, with Fournette knowing Hackett’s offense and the Jets needing an insurance policy, in case Breece takes a little time to get back to full strength.     

Cutting Davis would only come with bringing in another better WR. Fournette or another RB, might just be a one year type without need of cutting someone. If Mosely doesn’t restructure, a cut could come as early as this week. Replacing his leadership could be difficult. Which is why I would want to keep him. Replacing his talent, wouldn’t be as hard as you would think. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/25/2023 at 6:06 PM, Leftylarry said:

That's how it should be with either of these guys. This isn't home grown talent. Guys that have spent their career with the team that are due some amount of loyalty for their contributions to the franchise, like Brick or Mangold. They are both free agents who have been paid FAR more than they have produced. In Mosley's case, just look at how much money he pocketed his first 2 seasons while never stepping foot on the field. But, at least he has had a presence on this team recently. Davis shouldn't even still be here with that contract . Him being gone should be a nobrainer and the fact that they are not in a position to cut him is indicative of JD's complete mismanagement of the offense this offseason. 

• WTF? 1

On 5/24/2023 at 9:06 PM, Jdeet said:

Just sharing some information I was made aware of this evening. Corey Davis being in danger of being cut or traded isn’t new news. But, Robert Saleh has said time and again, he will be on the Jets roster in 2023. This is very likely not going to happen. Corey Davis should be gone and soon. There is a slight chance he gets traded for a later round draft pick but it’s more likely he gets cut and the Jets gain the cap space to make another move for a veteran, higher tier WR. 

And another move might involve CJ Mosely. 

It is believed that CJ has a lot of value in the trade market and Jets brass realize his value and rating is severely exaggerated. He was often times burned on RB/TE explosive plays in 2022 and he always seems to be one step slow, chasing down a player. The Jets defense, as a whole, was in the bottom third in the NFL, in explosive plays. CJ is a big reason why. CJ has a 17 million cap savings, post June 1st, either by trade or cut. It is believed the Jets have asked for a restructure similar to Carl Lawson, and CJ has refused, to date.

It is believed there are several teams interested in CJ. The Jets are still hoping to get him to restructure post June 1st. But if he doesn’t, he is likely gone. It is possible the Jets work out a deal for a draft pick or another player or the lesser likely scenario is they simply cut him and trade for a WR and/or bring in a younger, quicker LB. The Jets defense is built on its D-line rotation, top CBs, and hybrid LB/S with speed and coverage ability. Neither of which is possessed by CJ. Even his high tackle numbers in 2022 were overrated. His motor is just not what it was. 

Although trading a highly regarded veteran LB seems like a bad idea for a win now team, it is believed the Jets don’t think Mosely is worth a 21 million cap hit and the amount of talent they can bring in, to replace him, is money better spent. 

Although things can change over the next few months, like a restructure, it is more likely both guys are traded or cut. 

I am not a guy that is going to break a story like this, out of nowhere. You can choose to believe it or not. Although it might not look like a smart move, to part ways with Mosely, less so for Davis, the Jets need flexibility to bring in another top tier WR for Aaron Rodgers and a LB that fits in with the defensive mindset, along with finalizing a contract extension for Quinnen Williams and an Aaron Rodgers contract restructure. 

Personally, I hope they restructure Mosely. His leadership on the defense, has got to mean something. I don’t really care, either way, in regards to Corey Davis. He is easily replaceable at his cap hit and everyone is learning a new offense. It’s not like he has a leg up on a better veteran WR.

I think Mosely calls the def not sure if that is true,  i would not mind he restructures...but I'm not sure who can replace him or who I want to replace him

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Maxman said:

CJ Mosley is not getting traded.

No way, not with that $17M salary he isn’t. The good news is that $17M is not guaranteed, and if the Jets were to decide to cut him the day after tomorrow, they’d save the entire $17M against this year’s cap (with about $4.4M in dead money). There’s a lot of room in there for a pay cut once Mosley understands that no one is giving him anything close to $17M on the open market. 

Same with Davis, as his $10.5M is completely refundable upon being cut post June 1, with only $666k in dead money. He’s been a disappointment here, with 34 & 32 catches in two seasons, and just probably isn’t worth his salary, either, and it’s unlikely he could get anything close to that hitting free agency this week. 

Both players have some value for the Jets, and probably more than they’d be worth to another team at this point, so both -imho- would be wise to accept a “restructure.” But of course, sometimes ego complicates these matters. The Jets picked up a number of street free agents at both positions, drafted a LB (probably their biggest reach), and Kwon is still available. Playing nickel the majority of the time, they can probably figure out the LB position post Mosley. With the potential of $27M in additional cap space, they could easily be players for a splash at WR should they decide to get into the pool. 

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Jdeet said:

So, let me get this straight

Mismanagement of the offense = Bringing in HOF QB Aaron Rodgers (and his favorite OC who coached him to two MVPs),  his top WR (Lazard) to replace a cancer (Moore), replacing Berrios for a better and faster version (Hardman), drafting the top Center in the draft (Tippman), one of the top 5 RBs in the draft (Izzy), and its still May. I would say thats management. Not mismanagement. Lots of time for more.

Unless you wanted Jimmy G or Derek Carr. lol. Then, I can't help 

Lol. Top WR on arguably the worst offense he has had his entire career in Greenbay. Moore was a cancer because he had Zach Wilson throwing him the ball. I'm not going to cry about him being traded but not bringing in other above average talent is absolutely mismanagement.  Mismanagement is banking on praying that Wilson doesn't get injured, because if he gets banged up you're relying on David, Mims, and Cobb. Yeah, that's mismanagement. Remind me again what Rodger's beef was with Greenbay in the 1st place? I could have sworn it had something to do with constantly passing on weapons for him in the first round, often in favor of other non impact players which, coincidentally, is EXACTLY what JD just did. 

Mismanagement is reaching for an undersized part time rotational player on the defense instead of taking the best WR in the draft. 

Mismanagement is relying on Hall to immediately be 100% following an ACL injury, because recent history has totally shown us that to be the case 🙄

Just in case that wasn't enough for you, how about relying on Brown and f'ing Mekhi Becton to protect the QB rental you just traded a 1st and 2nd round pick for. You're right, that's probably being unfair. Because if we know anything for a certainty, its that you can 100% count on Becton to step in and play at a high level for the whole season. 🤣 ffs. When was the last time Becton saw the field? 

Yeah, you're right. That's not mismanagement at all, I take back what I said 👍

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

Can’t say I know about a players talent to say a guy should be cut/traded/launched but it does seem both Moseley and Davis aren’t playing to their contract value. But is anyone confident that Sherwood or nasrildeen can take up the slack? Maybe Kwon needs another look if he hasn’t been signed yet. Or maybe there’s a rookie or practice squad player ready to step up.  Tight end coverage has been terrible for quite a few seasons.

11 hours ago, Jdeet said:

As mentioned, I believe the Jets will be picking up a starting level WR and I do believe, a mid tier RB, prior to training camp, or as early as this coming week. I think we have mentioned some of the WRs already. An RB such as Leonard Fournette or someone at his level, would be an efficient RB to sign. There have been some rumblings of a mutual interest, with Fournette knowing Hackett’s offense and the Jets needing an insurance policy, in case Breece takes a little time to get back to full strength.     

Cutting Davis would only come with bringing in another better WR. Fournette or another RB, might just be a one year type without need of cutting someone. If Mosely doesn’t restructure, a cut could come as early as this week. Replacing his leadership could be difficult. Which is why I would want to keep him. Replacing his talent, wouldn’t be as hard as you would think. 

Is this a sources thing or a your thinking thing?  I can see them kicking the tires on RB, but I don't see them bringing in another back right now.  How many can they carry?  They have 3 backs they probably feel they have to/should roster right now   - Hall, Carter, Abanikanda.  They have Bam and Travis Dye who are certainly solid fringe guys that deserve roster consideration.

They still have Bawden and might be planning on using a FB.  Hackett carried Andrew Beck in Denver and the Packers used a 3rd on Degaura while Hackett was there, to play H-back more than TE.  In Jacksonville he had good old Tommy Bohannon in the backfield with Fournette, along with Chris Ivory. 

Of course, maybe FB/H-back will be Ruckert's role, but does that mean they carry an extra TE?  In addition to Ruckert they have three roster locks, plus a couple of intriguing UDFA (Gathings and Jenkins), then Yeboah.  I am not sure they will want to clutter the RB room with a guy like Fournette who has not exactly been tearing the league up.  If there are injury issues or some of them fall on their face, sure but I don't think it is a sure thing. More likely they have them in, make a low ball offer and wait until things get more tense - like they did with Ogunjobi, Kwon, Reiff and Brown.  

• Upvote 1

At some point, a team needs to stop thinking strictly in terms of $$$.  Depth matters.  Injuries can and will happen.  The Jets have a relatively short window considering their QB situation.

Unless there is a clear cut upgrade available, the Jets should stick with the two very well respected and still talented veterans they already have on the roster.  Getting rid of either one of them just seems like such a high risk, low reward option.  They would literally be an injury or two away from relying on Cobb, Mims, Sherwood, and Nasirildeen from being major contributors on a supposed Superbowl contending team.  Why?  To save some money on the cap or save Woody from writing a check?

If they can bring in Hopkins?  Fine, cut or trade Davis.  If they can bring in some unknown veteran LB?  Fine, cut or trade Mosely.  But if this is strictly a cost cutting measure with no clear replacement plan?  No thanks, too much to lose and too little to gain.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Lol. Top WR on arguably the worst offense he has had his entire career in Greenbay. Moore was a cancer because he had Zach Wilson throwing him the ball. I'm not going to cry about him being traded but not bringing in other above average talent is absolutely mismanagement.  Mismanagement is banking on praying that Wilson doesn't get injured, because if he gets banged up you're relying on David, Mims, and Cobb. Yeah, that's mismanagement. Remind me again what Rodger's beef was with Greenbay in the 1st place? I could have sworn it had something to do with constantly passing on weapons for him in the first round, often in favor of other non impact players which, coincidentally, is EXACTLY what JD just did. 

Mismanagement is reaching for an undersized part time rotational player on the defense instead of taking the best WR in the draft. 

Mismanagement is relying on Hall to immediately be 100% following an ACL injury, because recent history has totally shown us that to be the case 🙄

Just in case that wasn't enough for you, how about relying on Brown and f'ing Mekhi Becton to protect the QB rental you just traded a 1st and 2nd round pick for. You're right, that's probably being unfair. Because if we know anything for a certainty, its that you can 100% count on Becton to step in and play at a high level for the whole season. 🤣 ffs. When was the last time Becton saw the field? 

Good thing you didn’t grow up a Browns fan. 😂 

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Is this a sources thing or a your thinking thing?  I can see them kicking the tires on RB, but I don't see them bringing in another back right now.  How many can they carry?  They have 3 backs they probably feel they have to/should roster right now   - Hall, Carter, Abanikanda.  They have Bam and Travis Dye who are certainly solid fringe guys that deserve roster consideration.

They still have Bawden and might be planning on using a FB.  Hackett carried Andrew Beck in Denver and the Packers used a 3rd on Degaura while Hackett was there, to play H-back more than TE.  In Jacksonville he had good old Tommy Bohannon in the backfield with Fournette, along with Chris Ivory. 

Of course, maybe FB/H-back will be Ruckert's role, but does that mean they carry an extra TE?  In addition to Ruckert they have three roster locks, plus a couple of intriguing UDFA (Gathings and Jenkins), then Yeboah.  I am not sure they will want to clutter the RB room with a guy like Fournette who has not exactly been tearing the league up.  If there are injury issues or some of them fall on their face, sure but I don't think it is a sure thing. More likely they have them in, make a low ball offer and wait until things get more tense - like they did with Ogunjobi, Kwon, Reiff and Brown.  

Name one experienced running back on the roster, they can rely on? Breece is a stud but still a bit of a question mark for at least part of the season. I don’t see trying to make a Super Bowl run, with Michael Carter as our most experienced RB. Just opinion. Not any source. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Larz said:

What a nothingburger thread 

With threads of Aaron Rodgers dancing at a Taylor Swift concert and Zach Wilson water skiing, I figured I would change it up with some football talk. Sorry to intrude.  😂 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Jdeet said:

With threads of Aaron Rodgers dancing at a Taylor Swift concert and Zach Wilson water skiing, I figured I would change it up with some football talk. Sorry to intrude.  😂 

I’ll have you know that the dancey dance Rodgers did is indicative that the calf is ok, therefore football talk. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Just cause lazard is not a super star doesn't mean he wasn't reliable and good pick up. Not a lot of mismanagement in my bud

• Sympathy 1

On 5/29/2023 at 10:57 PM, Jdeet said:

We don’t need any stinking rb’s. We got Breece, Carter, the rookie and Bam. We good to go. If after a few games there’s an issue, which there won’t be, then do something about it. It’s overkill at this point. We got bigger things to deal with than rb’s. We need improvement in the safety, LB position and we have a logjam at tackle. And they need to figure out what they’re going to do with WR Davis. RB is the last of this teams worries.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

CJM should be given a 50% pay cut or his outright walking papers, not a mere restructuring of that same $17MM. He’s easily the most overrated player on the team. Swapping him for another was a real missed opportunity by Douglas earlier this off-season.

I agree. I value Mosley more than most. But that salary is ridiculous. I think he 100% restructures be he did restructure late last offseason and you can only restructure once a year, so he cant until then. So it's likely a deal in place once that date hits.

• Upvote 1

I agree. I value Mosley more than most. But that salary is ridiculous. I think he 100% restructures be he did restructure late last offseason and you can only restructure once a year, so he cant until then. So it's likely a deal in place once that date hits.
You can only get a pay rise once a year - but from what I am told you can redo your contract at any time if it is purely a restructure or a pay cut.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Turns out that's not true; they can restructure again sooner. 

My issue isn't his cap hit but his outright compensation. It makes no difference to me if he's paid $17MM as salary or that $17MM is mostly shoved off to next year. He needs a 50% pay cut. He's just not that much better than a replacement. Too slow & gets manhandled & pushed backwards far too easily.

Most likely they'll eventually agree on a restructure that comes with a modest pay cut, like they did with Lawson & Whitehead. I don't think that's nearly enough, but it's what I expect.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

CJM should be given a 50% pay cut or his outright walking papers, not a mere restructuring of that same $17MM. He’s easily the most overrated player on the team. Swapping him for another was a real missed opportunity by Douglas earlier this off-season.

That’s the thing here, a second restructure only kicks the can down the road, he needs to agree to a pay cut 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Wit said:

Mosley was macs best signing. The guy was the heart and soul of some terrible teams. Got to give him credit. I hope he can help us win it all this year and be paid off for his loyalty.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Problem is he’s at the age where he’s probably close to being done.  Theres nothing worse than sticking with interior linebackers too long and then suddenly they can’t move and you can’t defend the run.  See the 2003 season with Lewis and Jones

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Problem is he’s at the age where he’s probably close to being done.  Theres nothing worse than sticking with interior linebackers too long and then suddenly they can’t move and you can’t defend the run.  See the 2003 season with Lewis and Jones

Yes, he'll be 31 this month but don't forget that he only played 2 games in 2019 due to injury and sat out 2020 for Covid reasons.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In my opinion, the best way this could have been handled was to cut him very early in the process with a handshake agreement that we would match his best offer on the open market. (contingencies for guarantees and such)

I personally agree that we could have upgraded, but it would also sent a message to the locker room that we value you.  

In an outright pay cut or release would have bad optics.

FTR, I would have let him walk and invested in the position.  There were options. Optics be damned.