Flight 23: Ascension- Thursday nights

Just now, Larz said:

It’s impossible to know if it’s true but Saleh told McDonald that teams were mad that the jets took him that they thought he would slide. That’s sounds like what you say to every pick tho lol. He’s uniquely valuable to a defense with a wide 9 position for sure. 

He bends like crazy - so I get how they fell in love.    He was blocked so easily in the run game and that won’t get easier in the NFL.  I see Huff but hope he’s at his ceiling.

They know and strengthening and developing so hopefully he becomes the force they were looking for.

I was surprised they showed so much if the pre-draft discussions, especially when comparing players.  Maybe I don’t remember it, but last year I don’t remember them showing JD poll the room for Sauce vs. Stingley or Wilson vs. Olave. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

Agree and I’d love to know who “would be a hall of famer if he didn’t get in his own way”.  Gotta be Jalen Carter ?

I also wondered who the player was that one scout said "isn't into the weight room or nutrition". I wondered if that was Jones

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Did I see it correctly during the predraft Centers meeting that Joe asked the room who the room liked better Tippman or Zay Flowers and Tippman or Jordan Addison? The room liked Tippman both times

I know Tippman won out against Mauch & Schmitz. 

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Larz said:

McDonald/Mayer/Jones 

yeah JD panicked and was caught off guard with no plan lolololololol

he literally called the Steelers trading up ahead of time. He’s a ******* boss. 

Walking In Vince Mcmahon GIF by WWE

I think you guys are all missing what really happened.  

The “McDonald, Mayer, Jones” order of preference was one scout responding to Joe Douglas‘s question of ranking them. There were 20 other scouts’ opinions in that room that ended up on the cutting room floor because they didn’t support the agenda this of this documentary which could never admit that BB submarined the jets. 

Didn’t you’ll find it odd that Joe Tippman’s scouting talks were 10 minutes long and Will McDonald had zero - all the scout praise for Mcdonald came after the selection. 

there was a palpable lack of excitement for our first round selection. I would like nothing more than Will McDonald to bury Mac Jones and be a double digit sack guy but after watching that documentary, my fears were confirmed that Broderick Jones was the pick.

that pick swap really burns me because I think the deal gets done before the draft even without that capitulation.

EDIT: Perhaps I'm wrong, I didn't realize Jon Carr was DIRECTOR of college scouting so hopefully it was the scouting consensus that Mcdonald was rated above Jones.  If Mcdonald and Jones were very close in overall scores I wonder if JD would've taken Broderick anyway as it would fill a need and protect AR.  Hoping for the best.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Did I see it correctly during the predraft Centers meeting that Joe asked the room who the room liked better Tippman or Zay Flowers and Tippman or Jordan Addison? The room liked Tippman both times

I know Tippman won out against Mauch & Schmitz. 

Sounded like it

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, David Harris said:

The “McDonald, Mayer, Jones” order of preference was one scout responding to Joe Douglas‘s question of ranking them. There were 20 other scouts’ opinions in that room that ended up on the cutting room floor because they didn’t support the agenda this of this documentary which could never admit that BB submarined the jets. 

Didn’t you’ll find it odd that Joe Tippman’s scouting talks were 10 minutes long and Will McDonald had zero - all the scout praise for Mcdonald came after the selection. 

there was a palpable lack of excitement for our first round selection. I would like nothing more than Will McDonald to bury Mac Jones and be a double digit sack guy but after watching that documentary, my fears were confirmed that Broderick Jones was the pick.

that pick swap really burns me because I think the deal gets done before the draft even without that capitulation.

I got that sense as well.  But that type of stuff happens to every team every draft.  It just burns because you're probably correct that the pick swap didn't need to happen.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, David Harris said:

You may be right. However, let me point out they also talked about van Ness. Everyone says Gibbs would have been the pick. Yes, it's only 1 scout, but that scout did have 2 other guys over jones in the moment (unlike tipmann who was seemingly unanimous).

Point is, #15 wasn't gonna be a slam dunk. They clearly tried to trade out and the video showed none of that. But it's clear even people within the jets were torn what to do there. Jones was not a slam dunk prospect otherwise NE would have taken him since they also need an OT. I'm less certain today that the jets would have definitely taken him over mcdonald. JD didn't seem to torn up when Pittsburgh traded up for him even though he knew what was coming.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

He asked Carr in the draft room, how’d you have Meyer and McDonald vs jones. Which Carr said McDonald, Meyers then jones. 

Sounded like he had those group of guys close to equally ranked and was then predicting where they’ll all go before they pick. JD didn’t look to upset when Pitt traded up. Just more so “I told you”. 

I don’t think the first round had a unanimous guy, that’s why there was no 10 min sequence. Prob a pretty split decision. 

Agreed, he didn't look upset at all after the trade. Doesn't mean they wouldn't have taken Jones, but clearly he wasn't the slam dunk many of us were making him out to be.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

57 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

He asked Carr in the draft room, how’d you have Meyer and McDonald vs jones. Which Carr said McDonald, Meyers then jones. 

Sounded like he had those group of guys close to equally ranked and was then predicting where they’ll all go before they pick. JD didn’t look to upset when Pitt traded up. Just more so “I told you”. 

I don’t think the first round had a unanimous guy, that’s why there was no 10 min sequence. Prob a pretty split decision. 

It was a weak draft. I’m sure McDonald had his supporters, but compare the behind the scenes draft footage to Tippmann and even last year’s draft (I know, I know, it was an epic draft) but even the later picks like Jermaine Johnson and Breece Hall had a lot more predraft scenes talking these guys up during scouting. 

You never know who is actually gonna turn out, Broderick may suck and Will could be a 10 sack guy– the organization was stoked for Zach Wilson, Sam, Darnold, and Jamal Adams so we’ll see three years from now, but this #15 pick felt like a letdown for them. 

• Upvote 4

Well, at least this makes me feel like a genius for predicting in the draft thread that the Jets were going to pick Mayer in round 1.

Looks like he was a serious consideration for pick 15.

McDonald was way off my personal radar, though. Didn't see that one coming at all.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Well, at least this makes me feel like a genius for predicting in the draft thread that the Jets were going to pick Mayer in round 1.

Looks like he was a serious consideration for pick 15.

McDonald was way off my personal radar, though. Didn't see that one coming at all.

The crazy thing for me is that it appears our top guys were this….

Gibbs: who would’ve been a head scratching pick bc we have Hall. And if he can go week 1, Gibbs would’ve been a wasted pick.

McDonald: a guy most had as a late 1st. When we already had a handful of good DEs.

Mayer: a guy whose talent I love. But didn’t even go Round 1. Also would’ve been head scratching with us having CJ, Conklin and Ruckert already.

So all 3 of the top guys on our board wouldn’t be starters for us in 2023.

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Gibbs: who would’ve been a head scratching pick bc we have Hall. And if he can go week 1, Gibbs would’ve been a wasted pick.

McDonald: a guy most had as a late 1st. When we already had a handful of good DEs.

Mayer: a guy whose talent I love. But didn’t even go Round 1. Also would’ve been head scratching with us having CJ, Conklin and Ruckert already.

I guess that JD comes from the Best Available Player school, particularly in the early rounds.

That, plus the seeming lack of top tier talent in this draft, led to an unusual draft board for the Jets where the top talent didn't match immediate need.

Also apparent that the Jets had Mayer above Kincaid at TE. I agree with that. Mayer is a pure TE, Kincaid is more like a big slot - and we got one of them in round 7.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, David Harris said:

Blow it out your butt 😂

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Where are you getting Gibbs from? I didn’t hear his name mentioned at all.

19 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

Where are you getting Gibbs from? I didn’t hear his name mentioned at all.

Going based on the reports that he's who we wanted if he was there... but he wasn't. Clearly we had McDonald ahead of Mayer. But I have a feeling w had Gibbs ahead of both of them.

I imagine we thought he could be used as both a slot type WR as well as a mix in RB. Very Kamara like.

• Sympathy 1