Flight 23: Ascension- Thursday nights

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Going based on the reports that he's who we wanted if he was there... but he wasn't. Clearly we had McDonald ahead of Mayer. But I have a feeling w had Gibbs ahead of both of them.

I imagine we thought he could be used as both a slot type WR as well as a mix in RB. Very Kamara like.

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

There were plenty of reports that they would have taken Gibbs if he were there.  Maybe those were media plants by the Lions since that seemed the reach-iest pick until McDonald.

Gotcha, thought I might have missed something in this episode. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

this is rex....

rex hogan....

rex hogan from the new york jets, lemme get coach on the line

Those phone calls definitely weren't painfully awkward to watch again

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

The crazy thing for me is that it appears our top guys were this….

Gibbs: who would’ve been a head scratching pick bc we have Hall. And if he can go week 1, Gibbs would’ve been a wasted pick.

McDonald: a guy most had as a late 1st. When we already had a handful of good DEs.

Mayer: a guy whose talent I love. But didn’t even go Round 1. Also would’ve been head scratching with us having CJ, Conklin and Ruckert already.

So all 3 of the top guys on our board wouldn’t be starters for us in 2023.

Yeah I just don't see many impact, immediate starters (beyond qbs who will be forced to start from day 1) in this draft. I think after skoronski/gibbs went, that was pretty much it, rest is a crap shoot. We were gonna miss out, even at 13. Totally weak draft but we'll see how it plays out. 

I think as many pointed out, mcdonald is a projection. He has a baseline of some elite ability but his development hinges on adding nfl strength and refining technique while adding additional pass rush repertoire. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

I hope they show the war room when the Steelers trade up and jump ahead of us to take Jones. I want to see the looks on their faces to see if they really wanted him or McDonald

Kind of answered that bit of nonsense, when all in the room had McDonald rated at the top of the others they thought would be available at 15, with JSN second and Jones third.  

Then put the rest of the boards nonsense to sleep when JD correctly predicted that the Pats would trade out of 14 and it would most likely be to the Steelers.  You know when JD panicked, not knowing who to pick and blurted McDonald to barely get the pick out. 

Wasn’t expecting comedy in this episode

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Yeah I just don't see many impact, immediate starters (beyond qbs who will be forced to start from day 1) in this draft. I think after skoronski/gibbs went, that was pretty much it, rest is a crap shoot. We were gonna miss out, even at 13. Totally weak draft but we'll see how it plays out. 

I think as many pointed out, mcdonald is a projection. He has a baseline of some elite ability but his development hinges on adding nfl strength and refining technique while adding additional pass rush repertoire. 

I don't disagree with this but the question becomes why did everyone treat the pick like gold then?  You can make the argument we were better off just giving the 13th pick instead of the package we did for Rodgers....basically the same value....seems like a lot of effort to avoid trading the pick only to take a guy who most people had as a late first early second grade.

25 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Kind of answered that bit of nonsense, when all in the room had McDonald rated at the top of the others they thought would be available at 15, with JSN second and Jones third.  

Then put the rest of the boards nonsense to sleep when JD correctly predicted that the Pats would trade out of 14 and it would most likely be to the Steelers.  You know when JD panicked, not knowing who to pick and blurted McDonald to barely get the pick out. 

Wasn’t expecting comedy in this episode

Actually it was Mayer 2nd. Never heard any mention of JSN

I suspect (and they didn't show it) that JD wanted to (and tried) to trade back. If 2 of their remaining top 3 were on the board, he may have wanted to drop down 2 or 3 slots assuming at least 1 of them would still be there. Just speculation.

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

This is 100% true IMHO was well.  Isn't it fantastic that our roster is so strong (for once) that THIS IS TRUE for us! 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

52 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

I'll still stand by that if I were GM I wouldve drafted JSN and cut Davis.

I do like McDonald the player and obviously will be cheering for him big time. Just wasn't a fan of going DE there with the DEs we already have. Now if we're giving McDonald a good amount of snaps, I'll really like the pick. But if he's only going in on obvious passing situations and is like 5th of the depth chart... the pick will remain head scratching to me. The talent I see. The snaps is what I need to see now.

1 hour ago, jvill 51 said:

Gotcha, thought I might have missed something in this episode. 

In thinking about it, what gives the Gibbs rumor some life/validity is JD asking the room who the remaining top 3 are. Gibbs went off the board at 12 and we were picking 15. Makes sense

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, CTJetsFan said:

Actually it was Mayer 2nd. Never heard any mention of JSN

I suspect (and they didn't show it) that JD wanted to (and tried) to trade back. If 2 of their remaining top 3 were on the board, he may have wanted to drop down 2 or 3 slots assuming at least 1 of them would still be there. Just speculation.

Yeah, you’re right it was Mayer.  
He admitted he was taking calls for trade down but never got an offer he was willing to take

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, undertow said:

I don't disagree with this but the question becomes why did everyone treat the pick like gold then?  You can make the argument we were better off just giving the 13th pick instead of the package we did for Rodgers....basically the same value....seems like a lot of effort to avoid trading the pick only to take a guy who most people had as a late first early second grade.

Except there never was deal to "just give the 13th pick", it was always the 13th pick plus a hell of a lot more.

13 hours ago, David Harris said:

I think you guys are all missing what really happened.  

The “McDonald, Mayer, Jones” order of preference was one scout responding to Joe Douglas‘s question of ranking them. There were 20 other scouts’ opinions in that room that ended up on the cutting room floor because they didn’t support the agenda this of this documentary which could never admit that BB submarined the jets. 

Didn’t you’ll find it odd that Joe Tippman’s scouting talks were 10 minutes long and Will McDonald had zero - all the scout praise for Mcdonald came after the selection. 

there was a palpable lack of excitement for our first round selection. I would like nothing more than Will McDonald to bury Mac Jones and be a double digit sack guy but after watching that documentary, my fears were confirmed that Broderick Jones was the pick.

that pick swap really burns me because I think the deal gets done before the draft even without that capitulation.

Is there any evidence to the Jets really preferring Jones at 15? Seems we have evidence of Douglas expecting someone to trade up to 14 to get him. If he was a guy the Jets felt they had to have why didn't he try to trade up to 14? I know many projected the Jets wanting a T at 15 but I for one was always skeptical about how big of a priority that was. Point being, you can look at the roster and make assumptions but that's all it is - an assumption.

I'm not saying they didn't want Jones. Of course it's something within the realm off possibility. We know he was at least on the short list based on what was in this episode. But the assumption that it's 100% who the Jets wanted and the Pats definitely screwed them over just seems off. The Pats are well known for trading down too.

how could you be so sure joe pesci GIF

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure this edited clip definitively proves that Wilbur Macdonald was definitely going to be picked ahead of Broderick, but I think it does prove that Joe Douglas was absolutely fine with ending up with Macdonald.

If JD was dead-set on Broderick, he would not have swapped first rounders with GB. He knew (predicted) what happened.

You can never have too many elite edge rushers.

• Upvote 3

They had a hard on for Mickey Ds for two years due to Carr. They may have reached to draft him last year too if he came out. This was the guy they wanted bc of scheme fit, advanced athleticism, well developed technique already (hands are very advanced) and character. He’s perfect for the wide 9. Potential 15 - 20 sack guy 

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, rtnelson said:

I got that sense as well.  But that type of stuff happens to every team every draft.  It just burns because you're probably correct that the pick swap didn't need to happen.

Actually I think it was more for GB... NE was talked about being very high on Van Ness.... (I live in the Boston Area, I hear a lot of the sh*t). 

GB was able to take Van Ness who is exactly the type of LB the Pats love and so BB traded down because his guy was gone. 

I think it also helped that he knew Pitt was going for the OL and that it was an area of weakness that Jets wanted to draft.  But it seems like the Jets were probably much higher on the three OL and that Jones might be more like Becton boom or bust.

16 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

I also wondered who the player was that one scout said "isn't into the weight room or nutrition". I wondered if that was Jones

100% it was Dawand Jones... Not Brodrick, Hence why he slipped to the 4th round.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Larz said:

Looks like it will focus on the draft. 

IMG_6136.jpeg

I cant be the only one who watched the draft live and thought is was very much less exciting in that room from what the NFL channel was showing. I remember thinking ok well they much have really wanted to trade down and couldn't so they just took whoever was at the top of the board. Then you watch this and you see they had this dude at thier top Pass rusher - liek thier numebr 1 guy. There were excited to get him and even called the steelers pick. They were not expecting the OT to fall. 

Anyway im sure this version hypes it up and they were trying to trade down for sure, but i kind of feel liek they are def ok with this pick and were excited to snag him. It is very cool to see the draft room like this and how they treated that kid. I feel like you have to really like the way Joe runs this ship.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Is there any evidence to the Jets really preferring Jones at 15? Seems we have evidence of Douglas expecting someone to trade up to 14 to get him. If he was a guy the Jets felt they had to have why didn't he try to trade up to 14? I know many projected the Jets wanting a T at 15 but I for one was always skeptical about how big of a priority that was. Point being, you can look at the roster and make assumptions but that's all it is - an assumption.

I'm not saying they didn't want Jones. Of course it's something within the realm off possibility. We know he was at least on the short list based on what was in this episode. But the assumption that it's 100% who the Jets wanted and the Pats definitely screwed them over just seems off. The Pats are well known for trading down too.

how could you be so sure joe pesci GIF

dude was boom bust becton 2.0...probably want to stear clear of him. It was over rated...ahem...well i mena dude is good but just not as great as those before him. Compare that with your number 1 edge guy. I think you pick edge every time. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I cant be the only one who watched the draft live and thought is was very much less exciting in that room from what the NFL channel was showing. I remember thinking ok well they much have really wanted to trade down and couldn't so they just took whoever was at the top of the board. Then you watch this and you see they had this dude at thier top Pass rusher - liek thier numebr 1 guy. There were excited to get him and even called the steelers pick. They were not expecting the OT to fall. 

Anyway im sure this version hypes it up and they were trying to trade down for sure, but i kind of feel liek they are def ok with this pick and were excited to snag him. It is very cool to see the draft room like this and how they treated that kid. I feel like you have to really like the way Joe runs this ship.

I think Van Ness was their #1 pass rusher with McDonald 2nd.

Van Ness went to GB. JD could be heard saying "Good pick" when it was announced 

3 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I think Van Ness was their #1 pass rusher with McDonald 2nd.

Van Ness went to GB. JD could be heard saying "Good pick" when it was announced 

I think Van Ness was a NE guy... Not sure that he was ahead of McDonald for the pick though because when GB was on the clock he asked for the next 3 ranked and thats when we heard McDonald, Mayer, Jones comment.

10 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

I think Van Ness was a NE guy... Not sure that he was ahead of McDonald for the pick though because when GB was on the clock he asked for the next 3 ranked and thats when we heard McDonald, Mayer, Jones comment.

Good point. Yes, that was during the draft.

I thought I recall hearing someone (scout maybe) say Van Ness then McDonald, but don't recall off-hand if that was draft night or pre-draft discussion

1 hour ago, CTJetsFan said:

Good point. Yes, that was during the draft.

I thought I recall hearing someone (scout maybe) say Van Ness then McDonald, but don't recall off-hand if that was draft night or pre-draft discussion

Here’s the exchange you’re thinking of:

“How about this guy and Will MacDonald?”  
“I had MacDonald”
“I had MacDonald”
“I had Will, this guy, Van Ness”    
Ulbrich: That’s exactly how I see it too.  
”Will first”  
”Wilburt“  
Saleh: That’s a great name.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/05/26/ny-jets-flight-23-draft-te/

One of the most interesting tidbits emerged from a segment that showed the Jets’ war room mulling over its options as the 15th overall pick approached. Apparently, based on the discussions shown in the documentary, Notre Dame tight end Michael Mayer was one of the Jets’ top-ranked options when they came onto the clock at No. 15.

Only three prospects were mentioned by name in this segment of the documentary, which was filmed prior to the Jets’ selection: Mayer, Iowa State edge rusher Will McDonald, and Georgia offensive tackle Broderick Jones. At least one person in the Jets’ war room ranked Mayer above Jones.

One of the most interesting tidbits emerged from a segment that showed the Jets’ war room mulling over its options as the 15th overall pick approached. Apparently, based on the discussions shown in the documentary, Notre Dame tight end Michael Mayer was one of the Jets’ top-ranked options when they came onto the clock at No. 15.

Only three prospects were mentioned by name in this segment of the documentary, which was filmed prior to the Jets’ selection: Mayer, Iowa State edge rusher Will McDonald, and Georgia offensive tackle Broderick Jones. At least one person in the Jets’ war room ranked Mayer above Jones.

21 hours ago, PS17 said:

Vindication

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/05/26/ny-jets-flight-23-draft-te/

The captions for this segment:

Jon Carr: say it again Joe?
“[How do you have] Mayer, MacDonald, versus Jones?”

JD: 1. MacDonald 2. Mayer 3. Broderick

(pointing to his screen) I think Mayer is going to go here, MacDonald is going to go there. And then Broderick Jones is going to go at 14.

(He then predicts the trade up between NE/PIT)

• Upvote 1