Jets signing Dalvin Cook? 6/9 Update Cook Released

I think as current free agents..
It's Hopkins and Cook as the only real impact players in positions of need for the Jets.
There can always be trades available but can't really comment as there are too many players - but upgrades at RB, WR2 and a starting caliber OT - are all big enough holes on this team right now - that any team serious about making a Super Bowl (when they only have 2 years at most of their already declining HOF QB) would make if they were legitimately thinking Super Bowl.
What about QB2? Do you think we are all set there? I'll hang up and listen.

There’s nothing to the tweets other the old “ it makes sense “‘ speculation. 

JD has his hands full right now with moving a lot of Rodgers 100 million hit for 24 into 23.  

I can’t see him doing this without seeing Hall in camp first. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, slats said:

Minnesota has one of the better OLs in the league, and his production has gone down. The so-called advanced stats say he only gets what his OL gives him. The Jets OL figures to be something of a work in progress, probably well into the beginning of the regular season. This is not the back to sign to carry the load early. If they’re gonna sign anyone, it should be someone who’s capable of creating on his own. Cook no longer has that capability. He’s far more name than production at this stage of his career, and he’d be a waste of money. I honestly hope Miami or NE signs him. 

Couldn’t disagree more. He is 5-7 million. We have the room and the need. It’s a no brainer. You seem to be the expert at that. 

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, JETS SB said:

Couldn’t disagree more. He is 5-7 million. We have the room and the need. It’s a no brainer. You seem to be the expert at that. 

That cap space looks good on paper but Rodgers is owed a lot of money and It depends on how the they work the numbers but I don't think we have a much real cap space as people think. 

• Upvote 3

Your mood towards Cook is reflected in all your posts...
This ...

... I cannot deny ...

Still .. for some reason I'm just not excited by the idea of a 'past his prime' running back taking plays from the young kids Bam, Carter and Abanikanda. And I know that is insane. Hope he's got gas left.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

This ...

... I cannot deny ...

Still .. for some reason I'm just not excited by the idea of a 'past his prime' running back taking plays from the young kids Bam, Carter and Abanikanda. And I know that is insane. Hope he's got gas left.

I get that line of thinking. I guess the disconnect from your stance to mine. Is that I don't think Carter and Bam did anything great last year where they should be relied on as a team that's a SB contender. WE need this RB early in the season not later. Hall hopefully is himself by midseason. And given our schedule. I don't see us winning games against KC, BUF, DAL, etc with Carter and Bam at RB. But with Cook and sprinkling in Hall (based on his health) those games for me now are winnable.

12 hours ago, bicketybam said:
21 hours ago, FidelioJet said:
I think as current free agents..
It's Hopkins and Cook as the only real impact players in positions of need for the Jets.
There can always be trades available but can't really comment as there are too many players - but upgrades at RB, WR2 and a starting caliber OT - are all big enough holes on this team right now - that any team serious about making a Super Bowl (when they only have 2 years at most of their already declining HOF QB) would make if they were legitimately thinking Super Bowl.

What about QB2? Do you think we are all set there? I'll hang up and listen.

What I think is irrelevant.  

For better or worse the team has decided Zach Wilson is QB2.   This is a long term thinking franchise, QB2 right now doesn't seem to be a priority.

RB, WR2 and OT - they have decided not to fill key starting roles, can't imagine they're going to go and spend big for back up positions.

8 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Why does Dalvin Cook bore me ?

Because he's not Breece Hall.  

Hall was playing at an elite level and I suspect in the back of all of our minds - there's hope he's going to come back and look like he did.

So anything other than that is going to be disappointing.  Right now Cook isn't that, but he is a pretty big upgrade over anything else we have.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, JiF said:

OMG is this happening???

0% @Joe W. Namath

The Jets are serious and stuff!!!  @FidelioJet

I will feel much better at JD's mindset if they make this move.

JD's MO on most big time FA's has been to get really close and get outbid at the last minute.  The league knows this and will wait him out until he's reached, what seems to be, his immovable ceiling.

10 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

That cap space looks good on paper but Rodgers is owed a lot of money and It depends on how the they work the numbers but I don't think we have a much real cap space as people think. 

The Rodgers deal was a disaster - it's always going to be a disaster.

But because you made that trade and then brought on that ridiculous contract - not supporting it with Talent would be an even more absurd decision.

• More Ugh 1

On 6/28/2023 at 3:56 PM, JETS SB said:

Apparently Dalvin Cook declined a free agent visit to Miami. Their offer must have been garbage. Means it could possibly be the Pats or Jets. 

That’s not what it means.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I guess the disconnect from your stance to mine. Is that I don't think Carter and Bam did anything great last year where they should be relied on as a team that's a SB contender. WE need this RB early in the season not later.

I think Cook took what his OL gave him, and Carter and Bam took what the Jets’ seriously depleted OL gave them. I don’t think it’s worth $5M (at all) for a fill-in back for the first six weeks or so. Low guarantee and incentives I could stomach, but I still wouldn’t love it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 7/7/2023 at 8:02 AM, FidelioJet said:

JD's MO on most big time FA's has been to get really close and get outbid at the last minute.  The league knows this and will wait him out until he's reached, what seems to be, his immovable ceiling.

That’s not his MO.  
Which player that JD wanted have the Jets been outbid 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I get that line of thinking. I guess the disconnect from your stance to mine. Is that I don't think Carter and Bam did anything great last year where they should be relied on as a team that's a SB contender. WE need this RB early in the season not later. Hall hopefully is himself by midseason. And given our schedule. I don't see us winning games against KC, BUF, DAL, etc with Carter and Bam at RB. But with Cook and sprinkling in Hall (based on his health) those games for me now are winnable.

I think the issue is more with the "relied on."  They are somewhere in the #2, #3, #4 RB.  It is not like they don't have anybody else.  When they drafted Abanikanda some of the draft pundits panned it because "RB was not a need."  I rate him pretty highly.  Maybe they do too.  I don't think having Cook makes Hall any more effective when they sprinkle him in.  Hall will be sprinkled in with the guys they have.  RBs literally come out of nowhere all the time and they have a highly rated drafted prospect and a very solid UDFA in Travis Dye.  I get that Cook gives us a feeling of security, but football is not about security and RB is very much a NOW position.  I hate that fat ****, but isn't one of the Parcells-isms "It is better to give up on a player a year too early than a year too late?"  If Cook is looking for real money I totally see passing on him.

• Upvote 2

The Rodgers deal was a disaster - it's always going to be a disaster.
But because you made that trade and then brought on that ridiculous contract - not supporting it with Talent would be an even more absurd decision.
I'd prefer to take the pain pill on Rodgers this year and next .. but JD has already kicked the can at least a year.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Cook wants to get paid and be the lead ball carrier.  Neither of those are happening with the Jets.

Less then 0% chance.

guess i need to prepare myself for the jets to sign cook for more than i think he should be getting

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think the issue is more with the "relied on."  They are somewhere in the #2, #3, #4 RB.  It is not like they don't have anybody else.  When they drafted Abanikanda some of the draft pundits panned it because "RB was not a need."  I rate him pretty highly.  Maybe they do too.  I don't think having Cook makes Hall any more effective when they sprinkle him in.  Hall will be sprinkled in with the guys they have.  RBs literally come out of nowhere all the time and they have a highly rated drafted prospect and a very solid UDFA in Travis Dye.  I get that Cook gives us a feeling of security, but football is not about security and RB is very much a NOW position.  I hate that fat ****, but isn't one of the Parcells-isms "It is better to give up on a player a year too early than a year too late?"  If Cook is looking for real money I totally see passing on him.

But haven't we have had success with RBs at this stage of their career when we have been a win now team? Thomas Jones? LT? Of course there were misses like Bell (OL and poor QB play had a lot to do with him being a fail as well).

I just ask myself that let's say Hall is even ok to play but doesn't look like himself bc he came back too soon. Are any of us ok and think we're winning the SB with Bam and Carter than taking 15+ touches a game? I don't. Where I do with Cook touching the ball 15+ times.

• Upvote 1