KRL Camp Notes (7/20/23)

KRL

4 minutes ago, KRL said:

- Carl Lawson, Michael Clemons, Bryce Huff and Will McDonald were impressive coming off the edges

Any idea whom they were looking impressive against? Trying to get a feel as to the OL players lining up where. Becton LT or RT…. Smoked by Lawson or McDonald?

15 minutes ago, KRL said:

General Notes

- Practice ran 2 hours

- Since its early in camp players were in jerseys, shorts and "shock absorber" helmets for the
offensive & defensive linemen

- Credit to Woody Johnson for upgrading the seating for the fans.  Now instead of bleachers there are 
actual seats and he added "roofs" to each stand to shield people from the sun

- Change in the opening exercise period. Now instead of everyone doing the same warmups they break out
into position groups and work on "body areas" specific to their position

- Players auditioning for the returner spot were Mecole Hardman, TJ Luther and Garrett Wilson which was
surprising.  We'll see how long that lasts

- The media is funny!!!  After the opening exercise period Aaron Rodgers and the rest of QBs went to a
far field and threw against "air".  The entire media got up and walked over 100 yards to watch/film.
I couldn't believe it

Defense

- The defense won the day as the secondary was airtight which allowed the DLine to get pressure up
front.  They shut down all deep and intermediate routes which forced the offense into "short stuff".
There was a ton of "whooping" on the defensive sideline all day

- Carl Lawson, Michael Clemons, Bryce Huff and Will McDonald were impressive coming off the edges

- Jamien Sherwood showed impressive range covering and closing any receivers in his area

- Michael Carter had an outstanding day, particularly impressive was his breakup of a quick slant
from Rodgers to Hardman

Offense 

- The offense was "choppy" with the following mistakes
  * False start penalty by Alijah Vera-Tucker
  * Bad center exchange between Connor McGovern and Rodgers
  * Bad communication during a Zach Wilson rep which caused Nate Hackett to drop some "colorful
    language" and make them re-huddle

- I will give credit to Hackett for changing up his play calls as the defense clamped down.  He
started to call more "smoke screens", "quick outs" and screens to get the offense moving

- Israel Abanikanda broke a screen for a 20+ yarder, which may have been the "sexiest" play the
offense had all day

QB

- Aaron Rodgers didn't have any "sexy" plays due to the defense. So he took what he was given and
worked the short area.  I believe his longest completion was to Tyler Conklin for about 15 yards.
But you saw his "mind" in action to get Garrett Wilson the ball.  On this rep Wilson was lined up
in the slot on the right, Rodgers put him in motion to the left and then brought him back.  And then
as Wilson got outside of the OT the ball was snapped and Wilson was wide open for an easy completion.

- Zach Wilson wasn't markedly improved as he skipped one short pass to a receiver and had the 
previous mentioned bad communication rep 

Standouts

- The defense

Concerns

- It will be interesting to see how the offense bounces back over the next couple of days.  Because
as practice ended Rodgers was "holding court" with his receivers and was very demonstrative

thanks for doing these update @KRL hey question for you, does the team sell like signed rodger stuf there? like jerseys etc?

3 minutes ago, KRL said:

The OT's for the #1s were Max Mitchell & Billy Turner.  It's way too early to be concerned about that.

There's a ton of mixing going on

Obvious day-1 caution with Brown/Becton aside, I'm the opposite of concerned seeing Mitchell with the 1s. At least until he makes us view through hand-covered eyes, should that happen. Or anyway, so long as the reason isn't purely, welp there's no one else & we're down to our OT4. 

Clotting concerns aside, I'd love to see him earn the starting nod (and not stink it up). He's dirt cheap for the upcoming 3 seasons.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Our pass rush should be fierce this year. We are stacked. Even more so if JJ makes the impact he is capable off. 

There have been many years where I've thought "our defense could be elite this year!" and then they lay an egg.  I'm buying in again this year but I'm trying to keep my expectations low about this team in general.  

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

There have been many years where I've thought "our defense could be elite this year!" and then they lay an egg.  I'm buying in again this year but I'm trying to keep my expectations low about this team in general.  

The thing that is keeping our D from being elite at this point is turnover creation.

We will be tested in some areas though as smart teams will attack our couple of weak spots  (linebacker and safety)

We will see if our D coaches can find ways to protect those positions from being exploited.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, KRL said:

General Notes

- Practice ran 2 hours

- Since its early in camp players were in jerseys, shorts and "shock absorber" helmets for the
offensive & defensive linemen

- Credit to Woody Johnson for upgrading the seating for the fans.  Now instead of bleachers there are 
actual seats and he added "roofs" to each stand to shield people from the sun

- Change in the opening exercise period. Now instead of everyone doing the same warmups they break out
into position groups and work on "body areas" specific to their position

- Players auditioning for the returner spot were Mecole Hardman, TJ Luther and Garrett Wilson which was
surprising.  We'll see how long that lasts

- The media is funny!!!  After the opening exercise period Aaron Rodgers and the rest of QBs went to a
far field and threw against "air".  The entire media got up and walked over 100 yards to watch/film.
I couldn't believe it

Defense

- The defense won the day as the secondary was airtight which allowed the DLine to get pressure up
front.  They shut down all deep and intermediate routes which forced the offense into "short stuff".
There was a ton of "whooping" on the defensive sideline all day

- Jamien Sherwood showed impressive range covering and closing any receivers in his area

- Michael Carter had an outstanding day, particularly impressive was his breakup of a quick slant
from Rodgers to Hardman

Offense 

- The offense was "choppy" with the following mistakes
  * False start penalty by Alijah Vera-Tucker
  * Bad center exchange between Connor McGovern and Rodgers
  * Bad communication during a Zach Wilson rep which caused Nate Hackett to drop some "colorful
    language" and make them re-huddle

- I will give credit to Hackett for changing up his play calls as the defense clamped down.  He
started to call more "smoke screens", "quick outs" and screens to get the offense moving

- Israel Abanikanda broke a screen for a 20+ yarder, which may have been the "sexiest" play the
offense had all day

QB

- Aaron Rodgers didn't have any "sexy" plays due to the defense. So he took what he was given and
worked the short area.  I believe his longest completion was to Tyler Conklin for about 15 yards.
But you saw his "mind" in action to get Garrett Wilson the ball.  On this rep Wilson was lined up
in the slot on the right, Rodgers put him in motion to the left and then brought him back.  And then
as Wilson got outside of the OT the ball was snapped and Wilson was wide open for an easy completion.

- Zach Wilson wasn't markedly improved as he skipped one short pass to a receiver and had the 
previous mentioned bad communication rep 

Standouts

- The defense

Concerns

- It will be interesting to see how the offense bounces back over the next couple of days.  Because
as practice ended Rodgers was "holding court" with his receivers and was very demonstrative

Great summary.

Happy to read about Sherwood.  Some are forgetting that great instincts and footwork help make up for slower speed or explosion. Especially in zone defense.  The opposite is why Quincy Williams has not been a good cover guy.

Any feedback on Tony Adams or Jeremy Ruckert?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Even with Rodgers, it would’ve been disappointing if the offense had the better day today. The defense is in its third year in the same system, coming off a great year. On offense, everything is new. 

Yeah, agreed. Plus, the offense is Garrett and Rodgers. Nothing else to really be too excited about yet. I genuinely don’t think we brought in enough players for an all-in year. We’ll see… likely not a popular take.

• Post of the Week 2

33 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Yeah, agreed. Plus, the offense is Garrett and Rodgers. Nothing else to really be too excited about yet. I genuinely don’t think we brought in enough players for an all-in year. We’ll see… likely not a popular take.

We needed pass rusher number 20 instead of the top WR or top TE in the draft.

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 2

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

The thing that is keeping our D from being elite at this point is turnover creation.

We will be tested in some areas though as smart teams will attack our couple of weak spots  (linebacker and safety)

We will see if our D coaches can find ways to protect those positions from being exploited.

DJ Reed touched on this in his media spot. 

He basically said that because the offense wasn't putting up points they could basically just run it down their throats and not have to force passes. This led to teams being very conservative which limited turnover possibilities. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Oh man, you and Fido can be brother in arms. 

The WR is deep.  Deepest I can remember on the Jets and possibly the deepest in Rodgers career, I think that's exciting. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

He basically said that because the offense wasn't putting up points they could basically just run it down their throats and not have to force passes. This led to teams being very conservative which limited turnover possibilities. 

Jeff Ulbrich said the same in a recent interview. I've been saying it since we got Rodgers.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

totally lame excuse.   You generate turnovers, if you cover well, if you rush the passer and actually get to the QB instead of almost get to him, if you generate fumbles you get turnovers.

It's a skill and the jets have been poor at it.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3