Not Looking Good for Mims in Detroit - Update: Mims Cut

mrcoops

58 minutes ago, SoJetsy said:

Donovan Peoples Jones who went after him should have been the pick.

What about the 15 receivers taken between them?  Their rookie years were fairly comparable.  Mims had more yards but DPJ was way more efficient.   That shouldn't surprise  considering Mayfield over Daenold.   I think most said they should have doubled down and taken Gabe Davis instead of Morgan.

42 minutes ago, jgb said:

Been awhile since the Jets disabused anyone of that notion.

Becton over Wirfs was a terrible decision and utterly antithetical to JD’ and Saleh’s stated belief that “we want guys who love football.” Of course, literally every GM and HC says that.

Saleh wasn't there.  That nonsense is spouted by lots of people.  Was Gase one of them?

32 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Indeed, although It sounds like they are making Tippman earn his starting spot and have rewarded his improved play by giving him reps with the starters. This is awesome and should be the norm elsewhere. 

As for Becton over Wirfs, that poor decision was made because the Jets were desperate for a LT and Wirfs was pigeonholed into RT by most scouts. Of course, this brings me to a point that I have made for years - when you draft exclusively for positional need in the first round, you get yourself in trouble. The first round is about getting the best football players you can, usually at premium/impact positions. You don't draft exclusively for need. That's how you end up reaching for guys who have major flaws. 

Incidentally, I actually wanted Lamb or Jeudy there instead of a tackle. 

I don't see how it was LT over RT.  IMOBBecton is more RT than LT in profile and why were the Jets so desperate for an  LT?  Beacham was still on the street and they had Fant.  Gant is very much a swing tackle.  I actually believe that Fant profiles better at LT than RT.  Light athletic but not much of a road grader.  I think he proved me right wirh his performance at LT in 2021 and RT in 2020 and 2022.

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't see how it was LT over RT.  IMOBBecton is more RT than LT in profile and why were the Jets so desperate for an  LT?  Beacham was still on the street and they had Fant.  Gant is very much a swing tackle.  I actually believe that Fant profiles better at LT than RT.  Light athletic but not much of a road grader.  I think he proved me right wirh his performance at LT in 2021 and RT in 2020 and 2022.

Not sure what to tell you  or where you are getting your "profiles" from but the Jets were looking for a LT and Becton was widely regarded as a LT and hadn't played RT since maybe his sophomore year?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Sounds like Mims is just going through the motions. It seems like so many of these young players come out thinking they’re going to be handed a position on the team.  They’re good in college because they have more talent than other players. But they don’t seem to have the drive to succeed.  I think Wilson and sauce have that drive. Maybe breece hall too.  These guys want to win and know what it will take.  Other guys just aren’t willing to put in the extra work.

Well that probably describes every sport in every era.  There are always players go that go through the motions. There are always players that will run through a wall.  

After watching the replay of the Bills game last week he had that catch from Zach that kept the drive alive in the 4th. He had that catch against Carolina 2 yrs ago too. I think he should take the tape on those 2 catches and just replay them a 100 times becuase THAT is his highlight reel. He's finished.

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

It was a mistake.

Stripes Francis Francis GIF - Stripes Francis Francis Lighten Up Francis -  Discover & Share GIFs

Not fired up about it.  It was an honest question.  They all spout that line but it important to some and not others.  Mangini seemed to care.  Saleh too.  Rex never said it but I am sure he and Gase weren't asking for guys that didn't give a **** about the game. I was wondering if Douglas was saying that before Saleh came on board.

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Not sure what to tell you  or where you are getting your "profiles" from but the Jets were looking for a LT and Becton was widely regarded as a LT and hadn't played RT since maybe his sophomore year?

Tons of NFL RT played only LT in college.  Tons of guards too.  The best linemen play LT.  I think Becton is a huge guy that plants people in the run game but expect him to struggle with speed rushers which means I would rather they came towards the Qbs face=RT to me.  Yes many saw at LT but same could be said for Wirfs.

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Tons of NFL RT played only LT in college.  Tons of guards too.  The best linemen play LT.  I think Becton is a huge guy that plants people in the run game but expect him to struggle with speed rushers which means I would rather they came towards the Qbs face=RT to me.  Yes many saw at LT but same could be said for Wirfs.

Ok, I'm just reiterating what the consensus was at the time. I'm not saying that the consensus thinking was necessarily correct, the thought at the time was that Wirfs' best position in the NFL would be RT and that the Jets were looking for a franchise LT. 

38 minutes ago, jgb said:

My assertion is that when someone shows you who they are, believe them. Beyond that, it’s their burden of proof to show that they’ve changed.

lol but what you're saying is, even if he does show it, you're going to dismiss it as "he just wants to get paid".  

Also in reality what exactly has he shown us?  Instead of not caring about football, isn't it POSSIBLE that after the first injury he thought "ok I got unlucky, injuries happen and I'll be back next year"?  I mean, he had a lot of success in his rookie season at his old weight.  There was reason for him to believe that it wasn't something he HAD to change.  Then perhaps it wasn't until the second injury where it occurred to him that something needed to change, and now he's put in the work to change it.  Like that seems like a pretty reasonable chain of human reasoning.  Instead of "this guy doesn't care".

I dunno though, I guess it's always just been a little odd to me the amount of sh*t this guy has taken from this fanbase.  I genuinely believe some people(not you necessarily, but some) would prefer to watch him fail, and watch our season go up in flames, just so they don't have to eat crow for labeling him a bust too early.  Being right is more important than the success of the team.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Can't really blame the coaching/QBs either

but if you remember we did. well not me.

" why doesnt Saleh play him"

"why does he need to learn all 3 WR spots"

"why cant MILF make a few special plays for him"

alot of people here owe those guys an apology.

27 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

lol but what you're saying is, even if he does show it, you're going to dismiss it as "he just wants to get paid". 

No, I would want two consecutive years of demonstrated, professional-level commitment to challenge my hypothesis that he lacks internal motivation. 

Also in reality what exactly has he shown us?  Instead of not caring about football, isn't it POSSIBLE that after the first injury he thought "ok I got unlucky, injuries happen and I'll be back next year"?

I didn’t say he “didn’t care.” At a minimum he certainly cares about the paycheck. This is not an insult, it’s my primary motivation to work, also.

I don’t deal in what’s “POSSIBLE” which is a circular ride to mental paralysis. I deal in how likely things are. 

I mean, he had a lot of success in his rookie season at his old weight.  There was reason for him to believe that it wasn't something he HAD to change.  Then perhaps it wasn't until the second injury where it occurred to him that something needed to change, and now he's put in the work to change it.  Like that seems like a pretty reasonable chain of human reasoning.  Instead of "this guy doesn't care".

Again, if he has truly changed as you suggest it’s on him to prove it. Such is life when you’ve lost the benefit of the doubt. Losing weight in a contract year after he let himself go doesn’t convince me, especially since he did the same thing leading up to the draft.

I dunno though, I guess it's always just been a little odd to me the amount of sh*t this guy has taken from this fanbase.

The team expended much treasure and forewent significant opportunity cost to acquire him and he has delivered a very poor return, at the Jets’ biggest area of positional need, no less. We root for the team to succeed.

I genuinely believe some people(not you necessarily, but some) would prefer to watch him fail, and watch our season go up in flames, just so they don't have to eat crow for labeling him a bust too early.  Being right is more important than the success of the team.  

This is the moldiest chestnut on any sports forum that is unworthy of substantive rebuttal.

I liked Mims, good pick at the time. Turns out that if anyone needed TC and time with the coaches, it was Mims. He struggled learning the route tree, and (probably) struggled with all the Greek that comes with an NFL offensive playbook. A QB calling out a complicated play in the huddle had to be scary for him...I don't think he always new where to run.

His first season was pretty good with Sam using him in the Adam Gase system. Then his 2nd TC he got BAD food poisoning, losing over 20 pounds. That's a lot. By the time he got back into the classroom and on the practice field, he was way behind. 

Then COVID hit and he caught it, losing even more game reps.

Bottom line is once a player like Mims gets behind, he can never get himself caught back up. I think he struggles a bit between the ears. I'd be curious to see how he did in college.

And once he struggles, LeFlower chained him to the dog house. Beyond that, the kid never stood a chance. 

Not sure what's going on in Detroit. Cambell is a legit coach, very creative. Perhaps his play designs are just too much for Mims to lock down in his brain. Who knows, but I still wish him well.

• Upvote 1

I think Mims is actually one of the reasons why I changed my scouting approach of height/speed guys.  He had this weird habit of throttling down before making his route stem (Zach Kuntz does the same thing, but he's facing LBs mostly) which let the CB know that he was about to make a cut.  They sat on the routes, allowing very little separation for a guy that had insane speed/3 cone drill numbers.  I had the same issue with JJ Arcega-Whiteside where the route stems were only smooth if they slowed down considerably.  

From the looks of it, he might not be doing much there either, after all the news of him doing nothing in practice here.  I think the Lions made the trade because even lazy players perk up in their contract year, so I'm not sure what's happening.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Why do teams trade picks to Joe D for players.  They get hosed everytime: Jamal adams, Herndon, Cashman, Mims etc.

Elijah moore will reverse that trend as he is going to have a phenominal year.  But Joe D had to pander to rodgers so............

Yeah, moore was traded after he played the diva last year. Hes good. 

3 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Mims actually seemed like one of the safest picks that I could remember.  Talented WR with good size.  Didn't seem like a reach - in fact was expected to go much earlier than when we took him.  Sometimes sh*t just doesn't work out, unfortunately.  Can't really blame the coaching/QBs either.  Other young receivers like Garrett and even Moore had a lot of success in the same situation.  He just couldn't put it together.  I hope he does at some point though.  

My take was the exact opposite.  What I saw in college was that the only way he got separation was to push off of the defender and needless to say this will not fly in the NFL.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Usually Jets fans get all in a tizzy that failures here will go on to great success elsewhere even though there are only ~ 5 such players in franchise history.  

Mims wasn't even worth a tizzy.  

Elijah Moore is hurt btw 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Sad to say it since these guys are human beings with there lives and careers ahead of them but......addition by subtraction.  JD's the man! (except that he drafted them in the first place) 

Every unworthy player who is cut creates a roster spot and opportunity for someone else to go for his dream. No reason to feel sad about it, at all.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1