Not Looking Good for Mims in Detroit - Update: Mims Cut

mrcoops

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Vikings got hosed in the herndon deal.  Now the lions in the mimsy deal.  Hahaha.

Lions did not get hosed.  I believe it was a conditional pick where the condition was Mims needed to make the Lions 53.  Does not look like that will happen, so no picks change hands. 

Not sure how it is impacted when Mims clears waivers if he ends up on Lions IR, where he might eventually get to the 53 later in the season.  Either way, I am not going to worry too much about the 2025 6th we were going to get in exchange for our 7th.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Dcat said:

All it cost was wasted time watching Mims suck in practice.  THe only one who got hosed by Mims was Joe Douglas and the NY Jets.

Yes, too bad JD didn't trade Mims when he had takers a while ago. Probably would have fetched something higher than a sixth 

Just now, y2k8 said:

Nah. Lam Jones is the Jets All-time Bust Club.

Mims is only in the 2nd Round Wide Receiver Ring of Dishonor. A dime a dozen.

Mims, Moore, Devin Smith, Stephen Hill, Alex VanDyke, Ryan Yarborough, Reggie Rembert...it's quite the list, and I may have missed a few.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Nah. Lam Jones is the Jets All-time Bust Club.

Mims is only in the 2nd Round Wide Receiver Ring of Dishonor. A dime a dozen.

Yep. Add Blair Thomas and Roger Vick at RB and the Ghost at DL to this club. I could go on but already getting stuck to my stomach

On 8/17/2023 at 9:41 AM, Bowles Movement said:

Very disappointing that he never put it together.   He seems to have it physically but maybe not between the ears?   At least the opinion of the Jets coaches has been independently confirmed.  

I always suspected it was a culture thing with him- that he didnt” love ball” the way that Saleh demands.  Might as well get rid of bad apples instead of wasting time and coaching on them.

Didn't JD interview Mims before drafting him?  It was incredibly telling when Jets drafted him after falling back -he's sitting on the couch, hears his name and starts pouting like a lil girl he dropped so far down.  I started worrying right then and there or is it there and then?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Second only to clips of Joe Willie running off the field extending his finger into a “We’re #1” pose after SBIII, this is our franchise’s most iconic video:

******* classic.

Why do that to us?  Don't you think we've been through enough pain?  I have seen in real time every single one of those picks, and it still hurts.

My only problem with Mims is that the Jets didn't unload him soon enough!  He should have been cut or traded before last season.  

Trying to make Mims into a legitimate player was like trying to resurrect a snowman that melts in 70 degree weather.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

Didn't JD interview Mims before drafting him?  It was incredibly telling when Jets drafted him after falling back -he's sitting on the couch, hears his name and starts pouting like a lil girl he dropped so far down.  I started worrying right then and there or is it there and then?

That was the year of Gase and Covid.   They were also in the process of improving the scouting department that  he took over from McCagnan.  They seem to have improved based on the last 2-3 drafts.

• Upvote 1

1-11 Mekhi Becton:  Has contributed very little to the team thus far.

2-29 Denzel Mimsy: trash

3-68 Ashtyn Davis; Career backup hope he never plays

3-79 Jabari Zuniga:  trash

4 - 120 La'Michael Perine: trash

4 - 125 James Morgan:  Ultra trash

4- 129 Cam Clark: Injured, never to be heard from again

5 - 158 Bryce Hall:  He's a steal!....no wait....see Ashtyn Davis

6 - 191 Braden Mann:  Biggest claim to fame is his tackling ability after his line drive returnable punts.

Thanks IDZIK Junior!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

1-11 Mekhi Becton:  Has contributed very little to the team thus far.

2-29 Denzel Mimsy: trash

3-68 Ashtyn Davis; Career backup hope he never plays

3-79 Jabari Zuniga:  trash

4 - 120 La'Michael Perine: trash

4 - 125 James Morgan:  Ultra trash

4- 129 Cam Clark: Injured, never to be heard from again

5 - 158 Bryce Hall:  He's a steal!....no wait....see Ashtyn Davis

6 - 191 Braden Mann:  Biggest claim to fame is his tackling ability after his line drive returnable punts.

Thanks IDZIK Junior!

Ok, now post the 2022 draft 

• Upvote 1

So we shed his salary and got a 7th round pick to boot.  Sad for him that he is injured but we walked away with minor compensation for a yet to prove himself 2nd round pick.  Are the football gods actually starting to look a bit more favorably on us?  

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

So we shed his salary and got a 7th round pick to boot.  Sad for him that he is injured but we walked away with minor compensation for a yet to prove himself 2nd round pick.  Are the football gods actually starting to look a bit more favorably on us?  

I feel like the Jets are always on the wrong end of these moves. 7th rounders aren't any great value, but I would rather take a gamble on someone as opposed to giving away a pick for someone you end up cutting.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

I feel like the Jets are always on the wrong end of these moves. 7th rounders aren't any great value, but I would rather take a gamble on someone as opposed to giving away a pick for someone you end up cutting.

Is not that the very definition of taking a gamble on someone? 😂 

18 hours ago, Lith said:

Lions did not get hosed.  I believe it was a conditional pick where the condition was Mims needed to make the Lions 53.  Does not look like that will happen, so no picks change hands. 

Not sure how it is impacted when Mims clears waivers if he ends up on Lions IR, where he might eventually get to the 53 later in the season.  Either way, I am not going to worry too much about the 2025 6th we were going to get in exchange for our 7th.

If Detroit lions put him on Ir before him being on 53 man roster means he is done  for the season.     So Jets.don’t get anything.   

When the Jets were on the clock at pick 48, we all saw Mims at the pick. When they traded the pick and moved down to 59, it was clear JD had no problem passing on him. When he was still there at 59, it appeared to be a massive value pick. JD blew the pick, but it may have been a draft board thing. 

8 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

This ought to be a wake up call for him.   Now thats two teams that don't want him.   

Meh.  I don’t think he cares at this point.  He may bounce around some more but he doesn’t seem to like football all that much, and those guys wash out quickly.    

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

This ought to be a wake up call for him.   Now that's two teams that don't want him.   

For as little as he's played he's doing alright.  If he's out of football tomorrow then he's done $ very well for himself:

Denzel Mims signed a 4 year, $5,433,700 contract with the New York Jets, including a $1,511,784 signing bonus, $2,368,770 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,358,425. In 2023, Mims will earn a base salary of $1,350,959, while carrying a cap hit of $1,350,959.

19 hours ago, billo83 said:

Ok, now post the 2022 draft 

Oh when he was handed all sorts of high pick draft capital?  Idzik never got a real chance.  Our current gms 1st draft was as bad as the idzik 12 and he has a worse record as a gm. 

I like Douglas, he has done a good job in many ways but I'll toss roses at his feet when we actually do something relevant.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

39 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Oh when he was handed all sorts of high pick draft capital?  Idzik never got a real chance.  Our current gms 1st draft was as bad as the idzik 12 and he has a worse record as a gm. 

I like Douglas, he has done a good job in many ways but I'll toss roses at his feet when we actually do something relevant.

We are one of the top contenders for the SuperBowl.   That didn’t happen because he only hit on his high draft picks.  We have guys from the mid and late rds contributing.   We have a bunch of good Udfa pickups..   We have players wanting to play here now, and discounting their contracts to do it.  

But instead we perseverate over the draft picks that didn’t work out.   

I don’t get it.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

For as little as he's played he's doing alright.  If he's out of football tomorrow then he's done $ very well for himself:

Denzel Mims signed a 4 year, $5,433,700 contract with the New York Jets, including a $1,511,784 signing bonus, $2,368,770 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,358,425. In 2023, Mims will earn a base salary of $1,350,959, while carrying a cap hit of $1,350,959.

His 2023 salary is not guaranteed.   Denzel isn’t going to see that 1.3 Million

But to your point he has made 4 million and contributed nothing.

• Upvote 1