Why not lock up Bryce Huff long term right now?

Barton

53 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They can wait on this. If he’s the designated pass rusher we think he is and he goes out and gets 8-10 sacks, you can give him a contract commensurate with that if you want. But why would either side want to do that now? Huff had 3.5 sacks last year, 7.5 in three years. You don’t give him a Leonard Floyd Rams deal based on that, and he’d be a fool to sign anything less in the event he blows up this season. 

Huff is in a contract year. No one was interested in him at the second round tender level, and now he has to prove his worth. The Jets are going to give him every opportunity to do exactly that. They’ll be giving the same opportunities to Johnson and McDonald, too, though. Figure Lawson walks after this year, who steps up to be the starters next season? That’s what Huff is up against here; demonstrating that he’s not only starter material, but that it’s worth it to the Jets to pay him starting Edge money over the guys they have on rookie deals. If he can do that, the Jets probably had a very good season. It’s no easy task. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, nycdan said:

This is one of the things about this front office that mystifies me.  He seems like a legitimate starting quality edge rusher or at least a well-above-average 3rd down guy.  Very similar to the guy we just drafted.  Yet the team seems lackluster on him no matter what he does.  If they traded him for a 2nd rounder now I believe the other team would feel like they got a steal.  

I just don't get it.

But no one signed him for a 2nd round tender, I like him. Want him here but maybe us as fans overrate him compared to the rest of the league? I dunno. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Anthony Jet said:

But no one signed him for a 2nd round tender, I like him. Want him here but maybe us as fans overrate him compared to the rest of the league? I dunno. 

Not sure we over rate him. He led the league in a few pass rushing statistics and his play passes the old eye test with flying colours. 

For me personally having the three headed monsters of JJ, Will and Huff long term would be amazing. Let Lawson move on next year  and bring JFM inside more same with Clemons. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barton said:

We watched this team for the last 15+ years - a legit 15 plus freakin years - struggle to get to the QB w/their front 4 of 300lb fat guys. 

Huff is dynamic. And young. 

We keep him. 

Period. 

JFM and Clemons need to be playing inside. Huff can not be running with the 3rd team at Edge.

Who knows what is up with Lawson, so Huff should get an extended opportunity, especially early in the season.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, slats said:

I think they’re confident in their ability to scout and develop these guys, so might as well have them on rookie deals rather than expensive extensions. Notice that JJ, Clemons, and McDonald are all older draftees, too. I don’t think that’s a coincidence. I think the idea is to bring in full grown men who are ready to play (as opposed to a 21 year old QW, who needed a couple years to grow into himself). All three will be in the 28-29 year old range when they’re looking for an extension. That’s an age where either the extension will be less expensive, or it’s just not so bad to let them walk. Wash, rinse, repeat. 

Huff, this year, has a higher cap number than JFM, Johnson, and McDonald. His salary this season is about equal to Clemons’ entire four year contract. It’s all about cap management. I’m very interested to see what happens with JFM when his large, non-guaranteed salaries start to kick in next year. 

Issue I have with this is that Huff is the best pass rusher we have, clearly improved from last year, 1st in the NFL at PBWR and only 1 year older than JJ and MacDonald. He is an excellent pass rusher that could become elite. Seems to me you lock up that guy instead of hoping some older rookie can replace him.  He's 25 years old.

• Post of the Week 3

10 hours ago, Gio-Jets said:

Not sure we over rate him. He led the league in a few pass rushing statistics and his play passes the old eye test with flying colours. 

For me personally having the three headed monsters of JJ, Will and Huff long term would be amazing. Let Lawson move on next year  and bring JFM inside more same with Clemons. 

Yeah even the great play that JJ made and went viral with people losing their minds Huff got there first.  

• Upvote 1

There was quite a bit of hand-wringing about the 2nd round tender as I recall ... yet no interest from other teams (at least, none we heard of). So I agree on the potential overrating.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, JohnnyLV said:

Yeah even the great play that JJ made and went viral with people losing their minds Huff got there first.  

He’s definitely a disrupter. Seems he’s constantly bugging out the QB on passing plays. Kid is strong. Saw him push back a behemoth tackle right into the QB. Impressive. 

uSTADIUM App @uSTADIUM

Source: #Jets have received called inquiring about DE Bryce Huff and they’ve turned them away.

Jeremy Fowler @JFowlerESPN

Part of logic here: Huff could do well in free agency, which would set up Jets with a good compensatory pick, potentially.

Or just try to sign him to an extension?!?

10 minutes ago, C Mart said:

uSTADIUM App @uSTADIUM

Source: #Jets have received called inquiring about DE Bryce Huff and they’ve turned them away.

Part of logic here: Huff could do well in free agency, which would set up Jets with a good compensatory pick, potentially.

Or just try to sign him to an extension?!?

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Proof that sports journalists are idiots. Best we can for a compensatory pick for Huff is a 3rd (but basically like a 4th) in 2025. Picks are valued one round less for each year so basically he is saying that the Jets are hoping for 5th round compensation for Huff. Do they even use their brain?

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2023 at 4:37 PM, jetsfan4life72 said:

It is possible to have

IV-Q-JFM-JJ

With Huff as the primary “backup” next year. Clemons moving to a JFM role or even full time DT next to Q. 

Huff is the best of all of them on a per snap basis, while receiving the most restricted deployment 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

They drafted his replacement at 15....They have no intention of resigning him.

They drafted a replacement for Lawson. Huff should be retained. We’ve not seen anything from McDonald yet to warrant letting go one of the best pressure players we’ve had in decades. 

• 5 months later...
On 8/20/2023 at 7:53 AM, Barton said:

His pass rush skills are legit. He is proven to be at the very least an elite part-time edge rusher. 

Other NFL teams want to trade for him. They all saw his film last year. He consistently gets into the backfield.

Jets should lock him up now because if he puts up 7 sacks this year in a part-time role, Jets will have to let him walk, most likely -- due to salary cap allotment issues. 

Situation reminds me of Mike White. They could have locked him up on the cheap last offseason after he flashed in 21' but then they couldnt afford an 8 mill backup this year, so he had to walk.

Barton for GM. Ya I self bumped this, so what? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Barton said:

Barton for GM. Ya I self bumped this, so what? 

A tidy little nugget (that similarly shows our shambolic roster construction) was the Mike White comment in the first post. 

We wouldn't pay him $4 million per year to be back up, and now that we're desperate we're having to pay Tyrod more than double that.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1