Why not lock up Bryce Huff long term right now?

Barton

3 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

The player has to want the contract too for a deal to be struck - and I'm not sure that Huff will want to stay.

He has unrestricted free agency coming in 2024, and people always pay big for pass rushers.

Huff will know, if he has a big year, he can potentially triple his current $4M salary as a free agent. Possibly even more.

With McDonald and Johnson already in the pipeline, I'm not sure the Jets can offer a big enough role or a big enough salary to tempt Huff to pass up his shot at free agency.

Could be the case,

But maybe he wants some long term security and takes a 4/5 year deal for 6-8mill per, so he doesnt become the next Dustin Keller. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barton said:

His pass rush skills are legit. He is proven to be at the very least an elite part-time edge rusher. 

Other NFL teams want to trade for him. They all saw his film last year. He consistently gets into the backfield.

Jets should lock him up now because if he puts up 7 sacks this year in a part-time role, Jets will have to let him walk, most likely -- due to salary cap allotment issues. 

Situation reminds me of Mike White. They could have locked him up on the cheap last offseason after he flashed in 21' but then they couldnt afford an 8 mill backup this year, so he had to walk.

we will never be a team to overpay for pass rushers because in theory finding them is our specialty. that being said, someone will for Huff.

• WTF? 3

9 minutes ago, Asymmetrical said:

I agree that Huff probably walks but I'd love to keep him. The Jets went basically my entire adult life without a guy who could consistently win on the edge and that's not something to discard casually. 

They can extend contracts during the season. It’ll come down to the play of all the DEs. If Huff is outplaying Johnson and McDonald, it could happen. I don’t think that’s the plan, though. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Exactly this.  With all of the resources the Jets have put into DE, Huff will never be any more than a rotational player for the Jets, and there's no way JD is going to fork over any big money for that.  So I'm sure Huff knows full well that he has far more earning potential elsewhere than with the Jets, and at this point will mostly try to see what he can do this year to maximize that.

The dude bet on himself because I'm sure the Jets would have loved a 3 year 12m deal.  That's some serious cash for a UDFA.

Assuming they love him as much as we do.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, slats said:

They can extend contracts during the season. It’ll come down to the play of all the DEs. If Huff is outplaying Johnson and McDonald, it could happen. I don’t think that’s the plan, though. 

This. Same thing they did with Myers, but they will see if Johnson keeps up what he's shown so far. If he does Huff is likely the odd man out. Tendering Huff high bought them time though, really one of the smarter moves they made this offseason IMO.

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, Barton said:

I would argue, before McDonald had shown up, Huff is probably the most electric pass rusher this team has had since Abraham.

And you want to let him walk? Hell no. 

You’re right. Some fans are way too quick to get rid of Huff. Meanwhile everytime I see this guy on the field he’s hitting the QB. This is the kind of guy I’d try to keep here long term 

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

You’re right. Some fans are way too quick to get rid of Huff. Meanwhile everytime I see this guy on the field he’s hitting the QB. This is the kind of guy I’d try to keep here long term 

I think just about everyone would like to keep him, but it's more of a practicality issue than a matter of desire.  In truth, unless something unexpected happens this year, in all likelihood the Jets would have little reason to offer him any more than "high-end backup" type money, and that's not really in Huff's best interest as, health permitting, he can likely get paid more elsewhere, with a far better chance at a starting job to boot.

Even with letting Lawson walk after this year and having JJ and McDonald on their rookie deals, while it could potentially be managed under the cap, who among that group would you have riding the bench if you could get away with giving Huff starter-level money?  If you did, it wouldn't be too long after that before running into the same issues with their deals.  That's why in the end the best teams in the league are those that can acquire quality talent consistently.  No one gets away with finding a bunch of guys they like and just keeping them all around for as long as they want, especially when you may have an abundance of talent at one position but a complete dearth at others.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, mrcoops said:

The player has to want the contract too for a deal to be struck - and I'm not sure that Huff will want to stay.

He has unrestricted free agency coming in 2024, and people always pay big for pass rushers.

Huff will know, if he has a big year, he can potentially triple his current $4M salary as a free agent. Possibly even more.

With McDonald and Johnson already in the pipeline, I'm not sure the Jets can offer a big enough role or a big enough salary to tempt Huff to pass up his shot at free agency.

I think that's exactly right. Huff isn't going to be on this team next year, which is a shame, but also fine. He's a UDFA made good, needs to hit big on his next contract, and the Jets will get a third round pick out of it. Wouldn't be surprised to see them extend Lawson as the third rotational piece at a mid-tier price assuming he doesn't beast this season, but Huff is likely out of our price range. 

10 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

I think that's exactly right. Huff isn't going to be on this team next year, which is a shame, but also fine. He's a UDFA made good, needs to hit big on his next contract, and the Jets will get a third round pick out of it. Wouldn't be surprised to see them extend Lawson as the third rotational piece at a mid-tier price assuming he doesn't beast this season, but Huff is likely out of our price range. 

It doesn't make a ton of sense to invest first rounders in edge two years in a row if we were going to pay Huff. I think the high tender this year was to buy them some time with Johnson, which was a great call given how awesome he's looked. It's in their interest to see if they can replicate what they did with Huff (athletic UDFA they can coach up) with like maybe Alisandre or someone else. 

• Upvote 4

McDonald has looked very good but drafting him instead of Smith njiggba was dumb.

You can never have too many pass rushers?  Well yes you can when you have so many they are not going to get snaps and at the cost of other positions of the team.

The love our Dcoachs have for JFM and lawson means uf will get his 20% of dsnaps this year and no more.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 5

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

McDonald has looked very good but drafting him instead of Smith njiggba was dumb.

You can never have too many pass rushers?  Well yes you can when you have so many they are not going to get snaps and at the cost of other positions of the team.

The love our Dcoachs have for JFM and lawson means uf will get his 20% of dsnaps this year and no more.

I'm sorry but this is a bad take mostly driven by your desire not to change your mind from your snap reaction on draft night. An elite pass rusher is more valuable than an elite WR, and that's assuming JSN and McDonald have similar ceilings at their respective positions.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

On 8/20/2023 at 8:34 AM, Barton said:

Could be the case,

But maybe he wants some long term security and takes a 4/5 year deal for 6-8mill per, so he doesnt become the next Dustin Keller. 

No one thinks like this.  Every young player on a rookie/UDFA deal would prefer to bet on himself than settle for below market pay.  Every single one.  

23 hours ago, Barton said:

I would argue, before McDonald had shown up, Huff is probably the most electric pass rusher this team has had since Abraham.

And you want to let him walk? Hell no. 

Very few in this thread actually want to let him walk.  I just think they're looking at the reality of the situation:  This is a team that is constantly going to be cycling in new EDGE guys via a pipeline strategy, so paying any individual EDGE guy is going to prove to be a tough sell.  If JD could find the best EDGE guy since John Abraham off the UDFA scrap heap, then he can probably do it again, no?

Good teams let players walk that they would prefer not to lose and take the comp picks all the time.  It's a good thing if we become one of those.  

• Upvote 2

Year after you need to extend Sauce and Wilson, just paid Q, gonna need to extend AVT.

You can't keep everyone, they literally drafted Huff's replacement in the 1st round this year.  I like him, he seems like a good guy, doesn't complain, works hard, I hope he has a great season and gets paid.   Just, probably not here.

I think the plan was always let Huff, Davis, and Lawson go, and get at least 2 3rd round draft picks plus something else.

• Upvote 2

On 8/20/2023 at 8:23 AM, BCJet said:

This is why.  Huff is a great find as an UDFA and is a really good edge rusher in limited snaps.  We did a great job keeping him on a 1 year deal while JJ and McDonald can develop.  Then he leaves via FA, we save cap space, give his snaps to the younger guys and collect a compensatory pick.  Its a good formula - we just havent seen it in 10 years because that was the last time we developed a player.

Smart. Develop a player and then let him walk. Smart.

• Haha 2