Jets Have to Cut 35 Players - Here's my analysis

1 minute ago, Jetsruby said:

After reviewing this there's alot wrong.

• Nick Bawden is a lock to make the roster
  • IMO Jets keep 6 WR (+ Brownlee)
  • Trey Dean does not make the roster
  • Zach Kuntz is not making the roster.

+ Nick Bawden

+ Jason Brownlee

-Trey Dean

-Zach Kuntz

You’re probably right, but I still maintain that the Jets would be better off with a guy like Dean on the present roster over Brownlee.

Dean has consistently flashed at a position that the Jets have f*ck all at beyond this year. People are just assuming that Tony Adams is going to be a main fixture, god knows why. But Whitehead, Clark, Davis, etc will all be gone after this season. 

Brownlee has a better chance of clearing waivers and landing back on the PS than a guy like Dean does.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jetsruby said:

You think them cutting Brownlee is "not too difficult"? Really?! I think it's totally possible and incredibly hard to say if they keep 5 or 6 WR. In fact I'm betting they keep 6.

I think Brownlee and Gipson both make it.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jetty said:

If Tim Boyle gets cut we better pray that Rodgers stays healthy all season.

My surprise pick is Michael Carter (RB). 

You think Carter is getting cut?

3rd QB inactive is a thing this year, 3 QBs in camp, they are all making the roster.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

easy offense cuts:

Bawden, Nick SF21
Warren, Carter 23/4
Senat, Greg W/Ind
Pankey, Adam SF22
Colon, Trystan U/Bal
Glaser, Chris SF22

Hermanns, Grant CF21

if we keep 3 QBs that leaves justs one spot for another WR or TE

I would be incredibly surprised if Carter Warren was cut.

Same with Nick Bawden.

I’d replace both of those guys with Kuntz and Brownlee, who I think they will try and stash on the practice squad.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I would be incredibly surprised if Carter Warren was cut.

Same with Nick Bawden.

I’d replace both of those guys with Kuntz and Brownlee, who I think they will try and stash on the practice squad.

Yeah I don't know Hackett's offense well enough, but I know they want a full back. That probably would cost Kuntz and he seems like he needs development time anyway.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

You think Carter is getting cut?

3rd QB inactive is a thing this year, 3 QBs in camp, they are all making the roster.

Outside of his personality, I don’t think he is better than Bam. He is not good at blocking or running in between the tackles. I think we go into the season with 3 backs with Abikinada going to IR.

I didn’t know about the 3 QB rule. Boyle is definitely safe then.

• Upvote 1

Gonna agree with several of the comments so far:

Definitely think the FB Bawden makes the team.  

Kuntz almost assuredly goes to the P.S., too many bodies ahead of him and he isn't ready for primetime yet.  He's on the roster next year when Uzomah or Conklin or both are dumped.

I see the logic of Solomon Thomas sticking, but as Max says, there is no lossless cut here, it's an over-invested group, and you can only have so many, we're going to cut someone decent.

I could see them only go with 5 WR's (Wilson/Lazard/Hardman/Cook/Someone) and putting a Brownlee or Gipson or the like on the P.S.

Universally, I think Jets Fans think "we can't put X on the P.S., he'll get taken right away" far too much.  It doesn't happen that much, and fans over-estimate how good they think our fringe guys are.  Even if a Brownleee is snagged, such is life, you have to prioritize the roster as a whole, not one position group, and fringe WR's are findable via street FA's if the need arises midseason, or via another WR you sign to your own P.S. from someone elses castoffs.

If both Cook and Hall were 100%, and Izzy hadn't gotten hurt, I could absolutely see BOTH Carter and Knight cut/on the P.S.  They're clearly the worst two RB's on this team today.  But with all three of the better backs hurt/recovering, Carter may make the team for a little while, and get P.S.'ed once Izzy returns and/or Cook/Hall show they're 100%.  Again, he's not good enough a RB to hold him active over better players at other positions.

I could see the Jets carry 4 backs for a bit (Cook/Hall/Izzy/Carter) and cut Carter to the P.S. when Izzy is healthy, and bring Kuntz or Brownlee/Gipson to the active  roster then.  Something to think about.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Jetty said:

Outside of his personality, I don’t think he is better than Bam. He is not good at blocking or running in between the tackles. I think we go into the season with 3 backs with Abikinada going to IR.

I didn’t know about the 3 QB rule. Boyle is definitely safe then.

I think they have Carter rated higher than Bam. At one point last year Bams stock might have been at the same level.

But now that they have had an extended look I believe bam is getting cut and put back on the practice squad.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1