Corey Davis Speculation Thread

Maxman

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Seriously doubt that. Davis commended the Jets upon leaving on how much support they gave him during this decision. 

If it was a rift with Rodgers, that would not fit the narrative.

Well, hopefully for him and his family he has worked through those personal issues.  If he has it would be great to get him back.

• Upvote 1

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets wide receiver Corey Davis, excused from team activities for the last 10 days, announced Wednesday he's "stepping away" from football.

The 28-year-old Davis, a high-priced free agent addition in 2021, released a statement on his Instagram account, saying he had been mulling the decision for "some time now." He did not use the word "retirement" or give a reason for walking away. The Jets placed Davis on the reserve/retired list, meaning they retain his rights through this season, which is the final year of his contract.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38245846/jets-wr-corey-davis-stepping-away-nfl-age-28

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Corey Davis is a lot like Lazard.  In that they don't get a lot of separation and mostly require a ball to be perfectly thrown to catch it..

But Davis does have a larger catch radius and is faster than Lazard.  While nothing special he will be an upgrade.

I remember CD was good for at least 1 drop per game as well (though usually he had 1 surprisingly good catch to make up for it).

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I remember CD was good for at least 1 drop per game as well (though usually he had 1 surprisingly good catch to make up for it).

Yeah, that ball on that huge 3rd down - (before the infamous 4th down sack)  that Lazard dropped as he was going to the ground.  CD makes that play.  

Like you said though he does seem to drop a relatively easy one once a week (As does Lazard)

• Upvote 1

Since I do not know why he retired/stepped away, I cannot speculate on if he would want to return.

Is he in game shape today?  Has he been practicing since stepping away?  Does he know the playbook?  The calls?

If not, how long would it take him to get all that sorted?

Presuming he's dealt with whatever his issue or issues were, and given the trade deadline has passed, he's likely the best option out there, unless there is some stud sitting on a PS somewhere.

So sure, welcome him back if he wants, but it'll be hard to put any faith into him really helping much in the short term, honestly. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Corey Davis retired.  He is not coming back.  If he wanted to play, he would not have walked away.

If you watch some of the videos where he said he was stepping away it seems fairly obvious that something happened. Possibly family emergency. 

it’s different when guys just lose the drive or whatever, which doesn’t seem to be the case here 

10 hours ago, Hex said:

Although it would be great for the offense if he came back, he retired, which is normally a long-term thing. I would hate for him to come back to the team only to have whatever he was dealing with get worse. I wish him the best, and only hope for him to come back if he knows what he was dealing with has been resolved. Some things are bigger than football.

I think he didn't retire.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.  I believe he "stepped away".

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, rtnelson said:

He might have used the word retire, but I don't recall that being the wordage. 

I recall them being pretty clear to say something along the lines of “he is stepping away” and “the door is always open.” I think it was clear they were NOT definitively calling it retirement. I’m sure someone will check the wording and post it — but that’s my recollection, and I don’t think it’s totally far-fetched to think he might come back for the stretch run.

• Upvote 1