The most important position to fill besides the OL

Bronx

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I'd argue the coaching staff is up there in importance. What are we doing about those guys?

so true

Rodgers takes care of the qb position but does not fix team being unprepared, stupid repeated penalties and overall lack of awareness throughout the staff.

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I'd argue the coaching staff is up there in importance. What are we doing about those guys?

If it's a prerequisite that Rodgers forces Hackett to stay, at a minimum we need to hire a Passing Game Coordinator and/or a Running Game Coordinator who can both design plays AND call plays in a game...

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

Backup QB is not the most important behind OL.

1) Head coach

2) Wide receiver

The Jets OL needs to be completely revamped and they literally do not have a viable WR2 on the roster, but backup quarterback is like the most importantest position to fill.

Nine times out of ten, if the quarterback goes down for any significant amount of time, the season is over for all intents and purposes.  This fascination with the backup quarterback is not rational.

Nobody on that list is realistically signing here and/or saving the Jets season.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I would argue a solid #2 receiver is far more valuable to this team than a backup QB.   Another linebacker is also a bigger need.  How many quick swings rip off 7-8 yards on 1st down?  A solid, run stuffing DT is a bigger need also.  Our defense was  horrible against the run, sitting in the 28th spot last time I looked.  All three are huge areas of need, more expensive and more difficult to find.  There are always decent back-up QB's available.   

The Jets committed to Zach, but had the opportunity to replace him with a half dozen QB's who did a fine job and that was in a more limited market after the season started.  

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

Nobody on that list is saving the Jets season.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

The hope is that someone could step in and pretend to be AR8 for maybe 4 total games, some half games.  If its more than that, with an offense designed for AR8, if AR8 is out the season is lost.  

So someone like Tyrod Taylor, Brissett or even Dobbs, who has a head on their shoulders who can think and improvise, would be my vote.  

To have a successful NFL team, every position and coach needs to be competent.  If you can get some great components, you can get a great team.  The reason that the Jets are so bad this season is that the OL, OL coach, QB generally and WR2 are incompetent.   Before you run, you walk.  First step is replacing the incompetent with the competent.  Then we can upgrade.  

When the QB has been competent, the Jets have won or been competitive.  He can be the biggest difference. 

RT is incompetent.  OL Coach is incompetent.  Lazard is incompetent.   Zach Wilson is generally incompetent.  

3 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Tannehill, Brissett, Minshew would all be good options.

I'd love to see Darnold back to serve the apprentice role under Rodgers, but it will never happen.

I wouldn’t be so sure of that. Don’t forget that AR8 is an idol to most of these guys. Darnold’s not starting for any team next year so he might want to learn behind Rodgers and possibly showcase himself as a successor with confidence that the team isn’t drafting a QB next year.

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

I wouldn’t be so sure of that. Don’t forget that AR8 is an idol to most of these guys. Darnold’s not starting for any team next year so he might want to learn behind Rodgers and possibly showcase himself as a successor with confidence that the team isn’t drafting a QB next year.

I like Sam Darnold.  I think he does ok in a Parcells/Ehrhardt like system with power running and a deep game. 

He is not quick enough to be trying to replicate how AR8 plays.  Jordan Love was actually pretty close.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, varjet said:

I like Sam Darnold.  I think he does ok in a Parcells/Ehrhardt like system with power running and a deep game. 

He is not quick enough to be trying to replicate how AR8 plays.  Jordan Love was actually pretty close.   

He doesn’t need to be the same player to learn from him. Darnold’s biggest issues are with decision-making really.

I think he could benefit from seeing the game through Rodgers’ eyes for a couple of years.

Hard to say who they would be targeting.  I think it depends on how sure they are about Rodgers being qb for two seasons.  A younger vet may not want to come here if there’s little or no prospect of being the starter after next season.  I don’t think we can rule out Zach with one of the older vets as back up.  If Rodgers offensive style is so hard to pick up then just who will be able to step in if he does go down.  Maybe siemien  is still in the mix.  He’s young enough and is capable of filling in.  And he’s been in the system.

OWNER

We had this wonderful youth focused rebuild and completely abandoned it to bag a HOF QB on the verge of retirement. The owner needed to veto this plan and instructed his GM to find a journeyman starter to guide the team while the build continues. Gardner Minshew was there for the taking  - and his price was cheap. Instead we lost draft capital and cap space landing Rodgers and his band of buddies. Perhaps we could have avoided Hackett too, but he’s a friend of Robert’s which seems to be the only qualification needed to be hired as an assistant coach.

My kingdom for an Owner with the patience to build a lasting winner.

Woody, sell the team. You are a loser, and your stank contaminates this franchise.

• Upvote 1