Carter Warren

Maxman

Not sure about his grade but I have a tendency to watch Pitt players because my son did his grad school there and worked there for 15 years. I didn’t see much pressure coming from his side all game. It seemed like they were able to run on the right side quite well also. I am not an expert by any stretch but he looked pretty solid to me. He had a knee injury late last year in college and was still rehabbing it in training camp and early in the season so he has had limited reps with the Jets this year. I think that was the only major injury that he had in college.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Commanders D line is completely gutted 

They traded young and sweat this year and lost Payne during the game 

So even if Carter Warren had a good game it was against non starters 

This really doesn't answer the question though. How do you think he has looked overall? You can only block the guy in front of you. And he seems to be doing a good job of that. Injuries seem to be the biggest concern for him imo.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

so our 5th string tackle was playing against backups? you don't say. we shouldn't count this.

I still think his point is valid though.  Doing well against weaker competition is all well and good but, if he's going to be part of the solution, we need him to measure up against the good competition. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t care what silly ass grade PFF wants to assign.

Just judging from my own eyeballs he’s noticeably better than guys like Becton and Mitchell whenever he’s been on the field.

The people still hoping that the Jets retain Becton and that he regains those flashes of dominance from his rookie season are just dopey at this point.

The dude has been a thin-skinned, pain in the balls ever since then and his play has largely been sh*t at the times that he’s rarely been available.

Again…let the fat bitch walk, sign a starting caliber OT, draft another OT in the 1st round and do what it takes to obtain a Davante Adams/Tee Higgins/Mike Evans come March.

This sh*t isn’t rocket science

Oh Yeah

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxHnaBw0Duj0IGvhZtoE1fLxcAqp5DX9Da?si=JCEdVbalUWM-fZ4M

• Upvote 1

My very amateur scouting opion is his play strength is good enough to be starting RT caliber.  He can move people in the run game and when he gets his mitts on people in pass pro, he sticks with them.  I think he is pretty raw though overall.

I don’t know much about OL technique and what I do know is hard see on live TV, but he looks like he certainly can be a swing tackle for several years and maybe even a serviceable RT.

• Upvote 3

My thought as I very casually watched him is he can be a very good swing tackle with a shot at starting RT. 

When I watched his college tape, I recall thinking he had a very good mirror ability. He was a little light and his run blocking needed work but I liked him as a prospect. 

I think he's part of the solution going forward. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

My thought as I very casually watched him is he can be a very good swing tackle with a shot at starting RT. 

When I watched his college tape, I recall thinking he had a very good mirror ability. He was a little light and his run blocking needed work but I liked him as a prospect. 

I think he's part of the solution going forward. 

Could be, but he hasn't shown enough to be handed the RT job (or effectively handed the job by having no one else of consequence in camp).

The way to let him earn it is to get a one year stopgap starter at RT, but one they could legitimately start all season long (even if not super impressively). Decent chance Warren sees the field anyway at some point, and with the way things have gone here it may be for the last X-number of weeks after that starter goes on IR.

Hard to say how many starting tackles they add in FA. Depends who's available, who's willing to sign here, how badly they have to overpay (and lock the team into that player) for it to happen, and it also depends on their draft slot.

Where we're likely picking, they should have a high enough slot (without trading up) to get a good tackle prospect, but perhaps not one ready to start at LT in week 1. Aren't too many start-all-year LTs set to hit free agency. The two best are also real injury risks (one in particular) so that could be the strategy: sign Bakhtiari or Tyron Smith (we all prefer the latter, if he's even available); draft rookie tackle in round 1; start the rookie at RT, and maybe he moves to LT if/when the starter goes on IR, and Warren moves into the starting role at RT. Personally I'd prefer another veteran tackle for depth or possibly to start, seeing how they're losing two this offseason.

If they could swing Tyron Smith + someone like James Hurst in FA, plus draft a tackle at #9-ish, and then Warren is tackle depth (or if he's going to be in a competition, let a Hurst-type be the competition, not just Mitchell). Jonah Williams and Trent Brown should be discussed, of course, but it's too early to know our draft slot and who are all the available names tbh. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Could be, but he hasn't shown enough to be handed the RT job (or effectively handed the job by having no one else of consequence in camp).

The way to let him earn it is to get a one year stopgap starter at RT, but one they could legitimately start all season long (even if not super impressively). Decent chance Warren sees the field anyway at some point, and with the way things have gone here it may be for the last X-number of weeks after that starter goes on IR.

Hard to say how many starting tackles they add in FA. Depends who's available, who's willing to sign here, how badly they have to overpay (and lock the team into that player) for it to happen, and it also depends on their draft slot.

Where we're likely picking, they should have a high enough slot (without trading up) to get a good tackle prospect, but perhaps not one ready to start at LT in week 1. Aren't too many start-all-year LTs set to hit free agency. The two best are also real injury risks (one in particular) so that could be the strategy: sign Bakhtiari or Tyron Smith (we all prefer the latter, if he's even available); draft rookie tackle in round 1; start the rookie at RT, and maybe he moves to LT if/when the starter goes on IR, and Warren moves into the starting role at RT. Personally I'd prefer another veteran tackle for depth or possibly to start, seeing how they're losing two this offseason.

If they could swing Tyron Smith + someone like James Hurst in FA, plus draft a tackle at #9-ish, and then Warren is tackle depth (or if he's going to be in a competition, let a Hurst-type be the competition, not just Mitchell). Jonah Williams and Trent Brown should be discussed, of course, but it's too early to know our draft slot and who are all the available names tbh. 

Nailed it. That's how I see it as well.

• Upvote 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Crossing his fingers and hoping seems to be a major Tenet of JD.

i don't fully agree. we had like 8 or 9 capable guys in camp and Becton was seen as a high upside low floor player if healthy. we've had a ton of injuries, and Tomlinson has been awful which wasn't each to predict.

that being said, i just don't trust this group anymore. i want a new OL next year (keep tippman and avt), injuries happen...but these guys haven't played well at all. the fact that they look like a HS JV team every week falls on them...coaching and injuries only matter so much.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

i don't fully agree. we had like 8 or 9 capable guys in camp and Becton was seen as a high upside low floor player if healthy. we've had a ton of injuries, and Tomlinson has been awful which wasn't each to predict.

that being said, i just don't trust this group anymore. i want a new OL next year (keep tippman and avt), injuries happen...but these guys haven't played well at all. the fact that they look like a HS JV team every week falls on them...coaching and injuries only matter so much.

Becton was a massive, massive risk - it worked out from a health perspective but not player capability.  Fingers crossed after missing two years he'll still good.

39 year old Duane Brown who was STILL hurt at the start of the season...Hope he is okay and can play at a high level.  Fingers crossed after being hurt all last year, and being hurt all this off-season that he'll come out and play LT at a high level without any practice or expecting decline from age.

Those were the two guys he had penciled in as T starters - on a team he was expecting to make a Super Bowl - protecting a 40 year old declining QB.   Both wing a prayer type moves and both were disasters.

That's just the T situation with Joe - plenty of other "hope" type moves too.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Carter Warren should be the 3rd tackle at worst with an opportunity to compete with a veteran free agent like Bakhtiari or a rookie for a starting tackle spot. He can't be relied on as a starter though.

If I were building this line: 

LT: [FREE AGENT]  
LG: [DRAFT]
OC: Joe Tippmann
RG: Alijah Vera-Tucker 
RT: [DRAFT] 

• Backup LT/RT: Carter Warren 
  • Backup LT/RT: [FREE AGENT] 
  • Backup C/G: Wes Schweitzer (or FA)
  • Backup G/T: Max Mitchell (or FA/Draft) 
  • Upvote 3
  • More Ugh 1

29 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Do people just make up scouting reports based on the fact that Carter Warren was a fourth round draft pick? What exactly makes him a developmetal prospect? Did he start playing football late? Did he play another position before moving to tackle? Is he young for his position?

No, no, and no. He was a four year starter at Pitt. He was a late 2nd/3rd round graded prospect as a Junior and wanted to improve his draft status, so he came back for his senior year. He was playing very well, and a solid day two draft pick, before he got injured late in his season.

As a day 2-3 pick, you're only working on a four year deal. Missing year one of that severely limits your value for NFL GMs who need production on day one. They're worried about getting fired and drafting a redshirt OT coming off an injury isn't worth the risk. That's why he fell in the draft -- not because he was a project or needed any more development than any other rookie tackle.

He's also 24 years old. He's a grown man far older than most players who come in at 21. If you "hit" on this pick, you're only getting three years of production before having to pay a 28 year old free agent.

Carter Warren isn't a developmental prospect. He's a grown man, four year starter, who is now healthy and should compete for swing tackle or OT on the right side.

Stop labeling him as such when there's nothing to suggest that he meets the criteria of a "developmental prospect."

People justifiably feel this way when he was buried so deeply on the depth chart behind Max Mitchell and Billy Turner (who themselves were buried so far behind AVT they felt the line was still better shifting at a 3rd position when Duane Brown went down early).

1. Becton
  2. AVT
  3. Mitchell
  4. Turner
  5. Warren

That's where he was on the depth chart just for the RT position. Fans are justified in thinking he wasn't ready if he wasn't even 3rd on that list, let alone good enough to allow the team to leave AVT at RG.

Also most offensive linemen are developmental to a degree. Most tackles aren't particularly good as rookies, including some who are drafted a lot higher than Warren.

Personally I wish they'd gotten a few more weeks of a look at him this season. Surely they realized they were going to have to address the both tackle positions in the offseason, and if one of them could've been filled by Warren that would've been a huge help. Just getting a few games look at him isn't enough to give him the starting job already in March-April.

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

48 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

Carter Warren should be the 3rd tackle at worst with an opportunity to compete with a veteran free agent like Bakhtiari or a rookie for a starting tackle spot. He can't be relied on as a starter though.

I think (not that this idea is out there) next season there are going to be two new opening day starters at tackle, and that they’re going to want to draft a tackle in this class because it’s a very strong tackle class. Presumably they’ll want a guy they can pencil in as a starter before the draft so they don’t get boxed into it.

When we think about how Warren fits into that, I think the question becomes whether - heading into the draft - he’s a penciled in starter or a penciled in swing tackle with a chance to push the penciled in starter. And his play the last couple games could impact that.

Some of that probably depends on who they bring in for the starting jobs. If it’s Bakhtiari at LT - which doesn’t seem terribly unlikely - I could see the fourth tackle kind of being a swing tackle level player too. Particularly with the recent injury issues.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, football guy said:

That's tough to project 2 starting O lineman in a draft with no 2nd round pick 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, derp said:

Some of that probably depends on who they bring in for the starting jobs. If it’s Bakhtiari at LT - which doesn’t seem terribly unlikely

Bakthiari is beyond done medically 

He's missed the better part of the last 3 seasons. Best case he's like a Tyron Smith or terron armstead, very good when he plays but you never know when that is 

Worst case he should be retired like Duane Brown, Randall Cobb and Aaron 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Do people just make up scouting reports based on the fact that Carter Warren was a fourth round draft pick? What exactly makes him a developmetal prospect? Did he start playing football late? Did he play another position before moving to tackle? Is he young for his position?

No, no, and no. He was a four year starter at Pitt. He was a late 2nd/3rd round graded prospect as a Junior and wanted to improve his draft status, so he came back for his senior year. He was playing very well, and a solid day two draft pick, before he got injured late in his season.

As a day 2-3 pick, you're only working on a four year deal. Missing year one of that severely limits your value for NFL GMs who need production on day one. They're worried about getting fired and drafting a redshirt OT coming off an injury isn't worth the risk. That's why he fell in the draft -- not because he was a project or needed any more development than any other rookie tackle.

He's also 24 years old. He's a grown man far older than most players who come in at 21. If you "hit" on this pick, you're only getting three years of production before having to pay a 28 year old free agent.

Carter Warren isn't a developmental prospect. He's a grown man, four year starter, who is now healthy and should compete for swing tackle or OT on the right side.

Stop labeling him as such when there's nothing to suggest that he meets the criteria of a "developmental prospect."

I'm certainly no expert but these seem like some excellent points!

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm certainly no expert but these seem like some excellent points!

Carter Warren is a heavy legged waist bender 

He has arm length decent technique and some functional strength. That's better than max Mitchell but it only gets you so far

Warren is the definition of a jag he can start but lacks the feet to hang with legit pass rushers. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, bitonti said:

Carter Warren is a heavy legged waist bender 

He has arm length decent technique and some functional strength. That's better than max Mitchell but it only gets you so far

Warren is the definition of a jag he can start but lacks the feet to hang with legit pass rushers. 

I feel like I remember hearing he was a day 2 prospect until the injury.  If that's the case then you'd think the "experts" (in quotes because they get plenty wrong) think more highly of him than you do.  Then again, you almost always hear lines like "this guy could've been a day 2 pick" for guys taken in later rounds.  

Side note: I think I remember hearing that Max Mitchell had excellent feet.  It's too bad we can't combine the 2!