Albert Breer: Woody Johnson stepped in on the first round pick (not Zach Wilson)

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think it's as simple as he doesn't process things fast enough. Maybe that can be improved over time but he's so bad at it now, in year 3, you can't have him on the field. 

I think it’s a combo of not processing fast enough and a pronounced fear of throwing picks - he’s afraid to cut it loose, so he holds it for the perfect pass that never comes 

• Upvote 4

On 12/29/2023 at 2:57 PM, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Douglas feeding the press info to create a narrative to make himself look less incompetent lmao.

On 12/29/2023 at 3:02 PM, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

Not buying it. JD was creaming over ZW after his pro day. End of story.

On 12/29/2023 at 3:04 PM, JTJet said:

This is 1000% what this is. 

And people on here line up like lemmings for it. 

We had no QB... he would have drafted OL to protect who????   I'm with you guys.

PLUS...  we were told JD had final say and for that reason was given longer contract.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, derp said:

Is this true regarding how the 49ers and Dolphins are built? I think so - I’d be interested in your thoughts otherwise.

I think to your point regarding firing GM’s who draft bust QB’s, they let Douglas double down and it seems they’re going to let him make decisions backed into a counter because…reasons? Just hire some lame duck coach who wants a job, don’t let the GM do anything, and ride it out.

To me anything else presupposes that there’s no adult in the room to say no to Rodgers. And while in this case it’s absolutely true, that doesn’t mean that I can’t find them proceeding the way they are to be absolutely ridiculous.

So while it’s obviously what’s happening, I’m going to call it out for being ridiculous now. I know there’s some outrage in the fanbase right now but I think the only reason there’s not even more is that in general we’ve been numbed a little.

Ideal scenario is that they muddle their way to the Divisional Round next year and it just kinda works out. Probability of that? 3%?

Next best is that Rodgers has a psychedelics-infused epiphany that leads him to retire, which leaves this leadership group with so much egg on its face that Woody goes out and hires a qualified Team President who rapidly fires everyone. Probability? 5%

Next best beyond that is the most likely—Douglas chases his tail all offseason, spends his RodgersBucks on Davante and Bakhtiari, the team wins 10 games but loses to the Bengals in the first round, and Woody re-ups everyone for three years. Probability? 90%

RE: the Niners and Dolphins roster builds and the scheme elevating the QB, it’s worth noting that 1. The Dolphins field the fifth overall pick at QB. The Niners traded a mint to get to 3 for Lance. I don’t think they think their schemes are enough to lift their offenses and they’re probably right because 2. The Dolphins can’t beat anybody and the Niners—for as good as Shanahan and their skills guys have been—hasn’t won anything.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

On 12/29/2023 at 5:09 PM, bitonti said:

Another bullsh*t story was the one how sf wanted to trade up or Philadelphia 

Justin fields was a better prospect than Zach by any measure 

No one except the Jets wanted Zach wilson at number 2 prices 

Just like how no one but the Jets wanted to pay Rodgers 100 plus mil for years 19 and 20 of his career. Woody flew out to California for that genius move 

The Jets are kings of bidding against themselves and then unleashing the marketing team to make it sound like they got a bargain 

I don’t believe that to be true. Many teams liked Zach at 2 including the 49ers and Panthers. Both tried to get to 2 to get Zach. At the time I heard an interview with a Panthers insider who said they made the Darnold trade after being unable to get the 2 pick from the Jets for Zach.

48 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Ideal scenario is that they muddle their way to the Divisional Round next year and it just kinda works out. Probability of that? 3%?

Next best is that Rodgers has a psychedelics-infused epiphany that leads him to retire, which leaves this leadership group with so much egg on its face that Woody goes out and hires a qualified Team President who rapidly fires everyone. Probability? 5%

Next best beyond that is the most likely—Douglas chases his tail all offseason, spends his RodgersBucks on Davante and Bakhtiari, the team wins 10 games but loses to the Bengals in the first round, and Woody re-ups everyone for three years. Probability? 90%

RE: the Niners and Dolphins roster builds and the scheme elevating the QB, it’s worth noting that 1. The Dolphins field the fifth overall pick at QB. The Niners traded a mint to get to 3 for Lance. I don’t think they think their schemes are enough to lift their offenses and they’re probably right because 2. The Dolphins can’t beat anybody and the Niners—for as good as Shanahan and their skills guys have been—hasn’t won anything.

Regarding the Niners and Dolphins, my point wasn’t a philosophical one regarding whether the goals of the franchise when it comes to team building are prudent. It’s just that if you list what makes each offense go the QB isn’t in the top two - probably three - for the Dolphins and isn’t in the top four at best for the Niners.

And you can rag on those offenses, they’re flawed for sure, but they’re 1 and 2 in yards and 1 and 4 in scoring this year. We’d kill to have either offense here.

I guess as a different version of what I’m trining to get at, and I honestly don’t know what the answer will be. Do you think the Jets are better if you give them the entire 49ers offense - including Shanahan and the coaching staff - but not Purdy and they keep their quarterbacks, or with the Niners QB room but everything else is the same as the Jets have now? Same question for the Dolphins inserting the appropriate names.

20 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I actually think the 90th percentile outcome is that it turns out that Rodgers is rinsed, the guy who hasn’t been able to fix the OL in four offseasons also isn’t able to fix it in one, we end up going 8-9, Douglas and Saleh are fired, Rodgers retires in disgrace, and the next GM/HC inherit a team with no viable QB on the roster and a cap situation that looks like a Bosch painting.

This is too accurate. Ugh.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I actually think the 90th percentile outcome is that it turns out that Rodgers is rinsed, the guy who hasn’t been able to fix the OL in four offseasons also isn’t able to fix it in one, we end up going 8-9, Douglas and Saleh are fired, Rodgers retires in disgrace, and the next GM/HC inherit a team with no viable QB on the roster and a cap situation that looks like a Bosch painting.

This is it right here.  At this point it's really no more than a stay of execution.

The 2024 team already being so completely locked into the current mess sees to be the primary reason the front office and coaching staff is being kept around in the first place, as no one new would be able to do much with it anyway.  They'll get their final chance with what's here and, based on all available evidence, odds are high it still won't be that good.  The excessive volume of void years on players barely hanging onto their careers will make 2025 in need of a full overhaul regardless, which will be the reason to finally do a full house clean heading into that.

If really digging for any degree of optimism, the only slight positive could be that it might actually reflect better on the team with next year's candidate pool, if the Jets are seen letting them see their vision until the very end, even if I doubt that alone will make any significant difference.