The Reason I am so down on our coaching staff

The Reason that I am so down on our coaching staff...is because our OFFENSIVE staff is terrible in all ways.  Game planning, player selection, player development, scheme, disciplined play.  Everything.  As this is focused on more and more, they are going to get thrown under the bus.  I think it will be hard for Woody to withstand it. 

The defensive coaches scout and develop players and generally play above average.  Our special teams coach is great and found Zuerlein and Morstead.  

The offensive coaching is a disaster.   Supposedly Woody make Saleh get rid of MLF and Benton.  

• Upvote 2

Crappy Jets coaches have been doing this for years.   Let the other teams good players beat you because you do not special attention to them.

Fail to make the best use of your best players by moving them around.

This is true for both offense and defense.

• Upvote 2

It's all about expertise and prioritization. Robert Saleh was hired and advertised as a CEO head coach who was going to oversee the entire football team.

His offenses have been terrible with no clear signs that he has any idea on how to hire offensive coaches, develop offensive players, game plan for an offense, or identify strengths of our offense and weaknesses of the opponent's defense. 

At his best he has so far been a glorified defensive coordinator masquerading as a head coach, the same type we have recycled out there since Al Groh (sans the horrible Gase hire).

This leads us into the next problem after lack of expertise ---> prioritization ---> Saleh's priority is for the defense to win games and make sure our offense doesn't screw it up. Again, the same recycled through processes we've experienced for over two decades. It's archaic and cannot be sustained in today's game. 

My biggest problem with this coach is that even if we somehow figure out the offense that Saleh will still screw it up based on his style of play and methodology.

A bit long-winded, but you’re absolutely right.   The Jets coaches run their system and show very little opponent specific strategy.

Flacco ripping the Jets defense to shreds in the first half was a perfect example.   He knew exactly what they were doing and exploited an obvious weakness with Njoku.  The only thing worse than trying to cover him with Whitehead was Mosely.  Just an absurd failure by the coaches…  

• Upvote 2

The team's problems start with Saleh. Everything about his philosophy as a head coach is set up for failure. 

The peak of his tenure will be when Rodgers gets frustrated enough by the team that he starts roasting Saleh openly on Pat McAfee's show and the entire team fractures. It will be just in time for the younger players to leave in free agency and leave the team with another roster in desperate need of more than one year of rebuilding.

• Upvote 3

Great post and 100% spot on. I have been contemplating writing a "Cult" post to illustrate the similarities to the MAGA Cult, being as Woody was the Ambassador to GB under TFG. Reading everyone's feelings regarding the staff, and agreeing 150% with you all, it is absolutely mind boggling that Woody is bringing these guys back next season. This whole mess screams cult to me, but I will save my deep feelings on that subject for my own thread post should I decide to write it.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 5

Well done ... And I agree .. please add to this diatribe the lack of ability the offensive coaching has shown Tom develop any offensive talent. G Wilson, and B Hall bought them time by masking their ineptitude... But name one offensive player that has become a dominant force due to coaching ? The defense is the flipped coin of this ... That side of the ball has shown the ability to nurture and coach greatness in players that needed work.

I hope no hope as of now.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Well done ... And I agree .. please add to this diatribe the lack of ability the offensive coaching has shown Tom develop any offensive talent. G Wilson, and B Hall bought them time by masking their ineptitude... But name one offensive player that has become a dominant force due to coaching ? The defense is the flipped coin of this ... That side of the ball has shown the ability to nurture and coach greatness in players that needed work.

I hope no hope as of now.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

This is the most despondent I have been in a long while.  13 years of poor drafting, no "real QB", 3rd totally awful GM, 3rd totally awful HC, this organization is a mess and is undefendable.

The one constant is Woody and co.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 1

25 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Dan Campbell was a home run hire.

The Jets didn’t even interview him IIRC.

After Gase, the Jets went out of their way to hire a guy who “looked the part” and could “win” the press conferences instead of finding a genuine leader of men who would hold guys accountable and be able to figure out a path to victory week after week.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Washed up players want to come play for this staff.   You can’t underestimate the value that brings.

The Jets are like the MLS of world football leagues.

It’s where washed or near-washed stars come looking for one final 💰 payday.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Hey boys.  Trying to get a handle on why I am even more down on our team than usual which is really saying something.  There has been some cause for optimism.  Overall improvement in our talent level is hard to deny.  Player development outside of the QB position has been better than we have seen in some time.  Guys like Huff, Jermaine Johnson, Quincy Williams have really made great strides though the absence of anyone on the other side of the ball that we can same about is pretty stark.

My loss of hope comes from the caching staff's total inability to game plan.  In the Hippocratic oath the first rule for doctors is "do no harm."  By the same token every single coach I have heard talk or read about takes the same tack.  The first meeting for a new game they spell out very clearly who the threats are on the other team and what do we have to do so that they don't blow up our whole game plan.   That is at the core of their strategy and they focus and train and teach and practice to accomplish that goal.  I mean you hear it ad nauseum in every sport, player X is not gonna beat us.

The issue is we don't seem to do any of that.  And I mean never.  Game 2, we are playing at Dallas.  A ten year old could tell you that we must have a strategy to control Micah Parsons or he will destroy our offensive game plan.  Whether it's chipping a tight end, keeping an extra man back to protect, or some other strategy stopping him or at least slowing him is the key to our having any chance of winning.  What do we do?  By all appearances absolutely nothing at all.  No plan whatsoever as play after play he single handedly destroys our team.  Our coaches reply after the game, "uh I didn't really how fast and explosive he was."  I mean are you freaking kidding me.

There's too many more examples but let's move on to the second Miami game since it's still fresh.  Tyreek Hill is out.  It is clear that the only player that can wreck the game is Waddle.  Do we double team him?  No. Do we chip him off the line every single pay and pound him at every opportunity to wear him down?  No.  Because he is so clearly the number one threat do we break from our usual zone and have our All-pro CB Sauce Gardner blanket him all over the field.  No.  We do absolutely nothing, we have no plan whatsoever to stop this guy even though the whole world can identify stopping him as the key to the game. 

On to Cleveland.  Hmm what is the key to this game?  Maybe trying to stop all world Miles Garrett from knocking out two more of our QBs like he did last time we played?  Surely we would have a plan in place for him given the lessons learned above for the Micah Parsons beatdown.  But there was no strategy, no lessons learned.  All night long Garrett abuses Bechton who is left out there alone play after play getting beaten and embarrassed, not an adjustment to be considered let alone made.

I just don't understand what these guys are doing but they are the worst group of game planners I have ever seen.  I guess that's the cause for the greater despair, even with Aaron Rodgers, some new receivers and an improved offensive line there is no way to have confidence that these guys will ever be able to come up with a plan to beat a well coached team.  Heck half our wins this year were either sheer luck (Giants) or brain farts by the opposing coach (Buffalo, Philadelphia, and Washington).  Until these guys are gone it is just tough to have any optimism at all.

And in the words of Forest Gump that's all i have to say about that...        

17-33.

6 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The Jets are like the MLS of world football leagues.

It’s where washed or near-washed stars come looking for one final 💰 payday.

I used to think that it sometimes "just looked that way" but I'm now coming around to thinking it is that way.  LOL at all of us die hard fans.  Fool us once shame on you, fool us twice, shame on us!  So, shame on us.  

13 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Great post and 100% spot on. I have been contemplating writing a "Cult" post to illustrate the similarities to the MAGA Cult, being as Woody was the Ambassador to GB under TFG. Reading everyone's feelings regarding the staff, and agreeing 150% with you all, it is absolutely mind boggling that Woody is bringing these guys back next season. This whole mess screams cult to me, but I will save my deep feelings on that subject for my own thread post should I decide to write it.

Yeah, we're all anxiously awaiting more of your feelings.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

I used to think that it sometimes "just looked that way" but I'm now coming around to thinking it is that way.  LOL at all of us die hard fans.  Fool us once shame on you, fool us twice, shame on us!  So, shame on us.  

I was not fooled. I never thought that rodgers was gonna be a main factor.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

1p18e4.jpg.a0fdf8ca3229420eeac20a68458900a2.jpg

Why is this guy allowed to do this sh*t over and over, @Maxman?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Or you can just keep your deep political feelings to yourself. This is bannable fyi.

No politics. It shouldn't be that hard to understand.

• Upvote 4