Bryce Huff: “I want to find a scheme that uses me as an every down player”

It must be a requirement to be a dope to coach on this staff. Our great OC didn’t have a clue  that Breece could be a weapon in the passing game. This is by far the worst organization, from top to bottom, in pro sports. 
Coaching staff is good .. was all Zach .. haven't you heard ?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, section314 said:

It must be a requirement to be a dope to coach on this staff. Our great OC didn’t have a clue  that Breece could be a weapon in the passing game. This is by far the worst organization, from top to bottom, in pro sports. 

Breece is literally leading all RB's in receiving yards. What coaches do/did is much more important than what they say in a press conference where they're just giving company line/politically correct BS answers.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

Raiders are in the same boat with Malcolm Koonce who exploded on the scene  after Antonio Pierce became head coach.    B Huff and Malcolm Koonce are very similar players,  ( playing the run neither player strength although with more playing time has done much better in that part of his game).  The only difference is Koonce has one more year left before he becomes an unrestricted Fa.   Hopefully the Raiders get him signed longterm this year , then let him have big year in 2024.   ( cost even more ).  

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Counter point - this guy was an UDFA who has earned a big payday pinning his ears back in the wide 9 because of our CS.

Saleh isn't a good HC but his defense has played well and they've coached up several players.

I hear what you are saying, but I’d bet on Huff being a good long term every down player before I’d bet on Saleh being a good long term head coach. 

I’m afraid of how many sacks he’ll have playing every down for another team 

18 minutes ago, section314 said:

This has potential to be Hugh Douglass 2., for all of us old timers.😎

I hear you but i don’t think so.  One thing douglas does well is trade and i hope he maxes out on one here.  Also wouldn’t care if he used huff to move up from the 3rd or 4th round b/c they need a backup qb. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

PERFECT!  He is the king at almost getting sacks.  Good player.  Well developed.  Not an every-down player.  We could turn this asset into a solid draft pick. 

Almost getting sacks? He leads the team in sacks currently at 8 with a lot less snaps than others 

100%
he wants to get paid and he wont get as much as a guy who doesnt play every down. same as why Becton was crying about moving to RT. they dont get paid what LT do.
and your stats make sense with his snap counts. by comparison Huff and played 42% of the snaps and JJ 66%. and QW has played 69%. so its not the scheme, its hes not good against the rush.
and Bosa has played 79% and Garrett 81%. so when you look at it we really dont sit our guys as much as people think. its only 10% more than the rest of the league.
but lets not let stats get in the way of another "bash Saleh" thread. 

Shhhhh......

Dude wants to get paid for things he "feels" that he might be able to do. Bash JD all you want but the stats support not overpaying him for things unseen and not being one of our dumbass gm's of the past that overpay players who have already reached their potential and shown us who they are.

Trade his arse to someone who wants to overpay him for his yet unseen run stopping ability.

And this is from someone who loves Huff and Puff.

Sent from the FOREVER AND EVER Suicide Watch desk.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Counter point - this guy was an UDFA who has earned a big payday pinning his ears back in the wide 9 because of our CS.

Saleh isn't a good HC but his defense has played well and they've coached up several players.

This is the way to frame it, but it begs the question:

Why build up all that value to allow it to leave for nothing? If this was our feelings towards Huff, he should have been traded at the deadline

• Upvote 1

The part that makes this even more comical is in addition to the most talked about guys today of Huff, JJ, and McD, we so quickly dismiss that the Jets still had JFM as their established starter along with one of JD's "prized" FA signings of Carl Lawson getting paid $6M to be inactive for nearly the entire year just in order to be able to get all those other guys the snaps that they even got.
Meanwhile, half of the positions on this team are still completely bereft of any talent.

Lawson spent most of the year injured with a back problem. His career is probably over

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Sympathy 1

He'll be tagged and traded. I think worst case is a 3rd since that's likely what we'd receive as a comp pick in 2025. A second or somehow pulling off a player for player swap at OL or WR would be a lot better. Huff will get a bunch of interest, we'll have to see what JD can do with that interest.

We will get the 2nd back we lost in the AR trade.

• Sympathy 1

saleh's scheme is kinda sh*t. thes eplayers should have been a much better defense. it's the scheme. our coaches suck. they didn't even know breece hall could catch the ball
Or......the scheme is good and makes a lot of these players look better than they really are and as soon as they are on another team we will see how good they really are.

A lot of these players look so good because of having players like q and sauce on each end playing in a system that compliments their skill set.

Hopefully some team will think he’s Myles Garrett and pay him what he wants and give him the chance to prove it. And hopefully give us something in return. It took a lot of inner drive to go from udfa with potential to where he is now, only time will tell how far he gets. FWIW the tweet is standard negotiation tactics these days.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Shhhhh......

Dude wants to get paid for things he "feels" that he might be able to do. Bash JD all you want but the stars support not overpaying him for things unseen and not being one of our dumbass gm's of the pass that overpay players who have already reached their potential and shown us who they are.

Trade his arse to someone who wants to overpay him for his yet unseen run stopping ability.

And this is from someone who loves Huff and Puff.

agreed. i wasnt bashing anyone.

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Or......the scheme is good and makes a lot of these players look better than they really are and as soon as they are on another team we will see how good they really are.

A lot of these players look so good because of having players like q and sauce on each end playing in a system that compliments their skill set.

Agree. The scheme is all about keeping DL guys fresh. It’s why we keep getting productive d linemen on cheap deals. 

• Upvote 1

If the draft goes the way I think it will, and assuming Dogass won't draft a QB, and there will probably be a QB left on the board, he could trade down and still get quality O-linemen.

But that won't happen. Dogass will stick to his board and pick Laiatu Latu, DE, from UCLA.

I can see this trainwreck miles ahead. 

Huff is a better fit in the 3-4.  He would be off ball on running downs and can go on the line in passing downs.  He size is pretty decent for a 3-4 OL.  He is not built to be a DE in the 4-3.  

This will require gonads of JD.  Transition him, hope Huff does not sign it and works out a trade to the team that he negotiates a contract with.  That team gives JD a 3rd round tip.  

If it backfires the Jets down Huff for like $20mm/year and HAS to cut Mosely/Tomlinson/JFM to free up the cap space.   I don’t think it comes to this, but it could.  

4 hours ago, Asymmetrical said:

the cavalier attitude that Douglas has seemingly had towards Huff is strange. The idea that these guys grow on trees is an interesting one.

That seems to be the strategy. There is a pipeline of young DL who will either re-sign with the team on a friendly deal or they'll move along to another team and Douglas will take the comp pick. It's the same thing the Steelers did for a long time where they were like the LB factory for the league. At some point you have to let players you like walk. 

You also sometimes lose players you like when there's more than one serviceable player at every position. As Jets fans, this is a brand new experience.

The weird part is Saleh's insistence on rotating the DL so much because players can't survive more than a couple plays at a time. It encourages players to want to leave to go find a contract where they'll play more and have opportunities to hit performance bonuses. 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

That seems to be the strategy. There is a pipeline of young DL who will either re-sign with the team on a friendly deal or they'll move along to another team and Douglas will take the comp pick. It's the same thing the Steelers did for a long time where they were like the LB factory for the league. At some point you have to let players you like walk. 

You also sometimes lose players you like when there's more than one serviceable player at every position. As Jets fans, this is a brand new experience.

The weird part is Saleh's insistence on rotating the DL so much because players can't survive more than a couple plays at a time. It encourages players to want to leave to go find a contract where they'll play more and have opportunities to hit performance bonuses. 

It’s kind of ironic since Saleh’s stated personnel strategy that he communicates to players is that he is going to develop them so that they get a big check, either with the Jets or elsewhere.  Not really working on the offense. 

27 minutes ago, fullblast said:

Jets are elite at alienating their top talent.

Outside of our guys currently under contract. What elite talent have we alienated over the last 5-10 years? Huff is one of the first guys I can think of that is leaving this team with higher stock than they had before they got here. Only other guy I can think of is Demario Davis.

8 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

I can't knock the rotation because it works. I can knock not locking up Huff a year or two ago when even us goofballs on a message board could tell he had juice. 

Lmao they aren’t tagging him, let alone only with the hope of trading him, after keeping him through the trade deadline when they didn’t have a QB while Huff spent more time in the sideline than on the field.

If you tag a player you have to be prepared to hand the player pay under the tag. You tag a guy who’d cost at least that amount (likely more) to extend, or someone to whom you’ll pay a few million premium on a prove-it year, to not get stuck paying double if he’s not all that. Tagging Huff fits neither of these scenarios.

Huff doesn’t want to be here, has surely told them that (if he’s making this public), it’s probably why there’s been no other comments since the Jets said they were talking extension with him, the GM (who isn’t getting fired) just drafted two edge guys in round one in the past two years, and they aren’t going to risk Huff signing a $23MM contract no one in the league is going to match (let alone give up a high pick for the privilege of matching) when the team sees him just as a situational player.

They dragged it out so much to end up passing QW at a rate barely above that as an all pro. They aren’t paying almost that same money to Huff.

He’ll sign elsewhere for about $15MM, quite possibly less, and he may take a little less to play elsewhere if it means starting. The FT is ~50% more than that, ffs. Nobody’s paying him that, let alone the Jets who don’t/won’t start him. Jets will hopefully be due a 3rd round comp pick in 2025. 

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

This is the way to frame it, but it begs the question:

Why build up all that value to allow it to leave for nothing? If this was our feelings towards Huff, he should have been traded at the deadline

McDonald.