You are lying if…

You really claim you thought the JETS would get better in 2023 if they just ran it back with Zach Wilson and swapped Lazard for Davis. Oh and AVT would go down AGAIN…

Let’s be real that’s what played out. They got 7 wins two years in a row and have built a solid defense. Most consistent in a decade.

The JETS in the last 10 years have only gotten 7 wins 3 times… and two were with Saleh these last two years.

I see everyone complaining about players leaving the JETS and being better… how about Pete Carrol and Bellichik? Why beg for instability (when Saleh finally found some stability even if mediocre without a QB!)

Saleh and Douglas identified the weakness on the JETS… addressing it BIG TIME with Rodgers… it’s not like they went into the season thinking ZW was the man. Plus they knew ZW already had a better W/L than most of any backup QB.

Take a deep breath and hope Rodgers stays healthy. He was the plan for 23-24 and still is.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 5
  • Haha 1

Didn't Corey Davis decide to retire after we picked up lazard? Pretty sure the plan was to grab obj to pair with gw from there and lazard would have been a third guy obviously nothing played out well I think the plan was better than the execution.

• Upvote 3

Yea Bruce but so many of us were not convinced that Brown at LT would be good enough to withstand another season, especially with not one single pre-season play under his belt. Rodgers was never going to make it out of that Buffalo game. Corey Davis knew something, I'd really love to know what he saw happening to convince him to not want to stick around. Did he know that Aaron Rodgers could never survive behind that OL and that he knew it meant another useless season of running sprints up and down the field like 5 million dollar decoy for Zach Wilson and never getting the ball thrown his way. 2021 forced him to pull a Zach Wilson and say "ouch I'm hurt" 

25 minutes ago, ECURB said:

You really claim you thought the JETS would get better in 2023 if they just ran it back with Zach Wilson and swapped Lazard for Davis. Oh and AVT would go down AGAIN…

Let’s be real that’s what played out. They got 7 wins two years in a row and have built a solid defense. Most consistent in a decade.

The JETS in the last 10 years have only gotten 7 wins 3 times… and two were with Saleh these last two years.

I see everyone complaining about players leaving the JETS and being better… how about Pete Carrol and Bellichik? Why beg for instability (when Saleh finally found some stability even if mediocre without a QB!)

Saleh and Douglas identified the weakness on the JETS… addressing it BIG TIME with Rodgers… it’s not like they went into the season thinking ZW was the man. Plus they knew ZW already had a better W/L than most of any backup QB.

Take a deep breath and hope Rodgers stays healthy. He was the plan for 23-24 and still is.

I have alot of issues with Salah, starting with his refusal to put Sauce on the other teams best WR all the time. If you can hold of the Pass rush then they struggle cause Sauce is busy covering Braxton Barrios instead Waddle.

The fact that they did not have a viable backup QB all season is unforgivable. If they really wanted to give Zach a "Redshirt" Year then he should have been a 3rd string QB. That is on JD.

The OL got destroyed by injures. Becton was a mess. 

If the Jets don't spend every dime and draft pick on getting this offense to a respectable level then they should be gone.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, rangerous said:

No excuses in 2024.  They got the qb and the oline will be healthy and enhanced when they plug the noted holes.

Salesman has an entire offseason now to work on a new batch of excuses.

46 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

If what Rodgers is saying is true then he is the plan for 2024 and 2025. I have my doubts about this coaching staff but here's to hoping for good vibes and winning returns!

Coaches look much better when the qb play is good or better. Author smith and Ron Rivera just got fired, what do they have in common? No qb. The coaches with the safest seats have a qb. This team learned a valuable lesson this year. They’ll spend the money to back up Rodgers in 2024. I’ll reserve judgement until next year. I want to see what this staff can do when the qb is, at the bare minimum, not hurting the team any longer. Maybe even get some help from the qb position? 

• Upvote 3

I agree.  Everything that could possibly is impossibly go wrong went wrong this year.  Next year will be better.  I know people are very down on Saleh and Douglas which is understandable.  However no more than ever their jobs are in the line.  This is their last chance so hopefully that pressure makes them make better decisions 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Coaches look much better when the qb play is good or better. Author smith and Ron Rivera just got fired, what do they have in common? No qb. The coaches with the safest seats have a qb. This team learned a valuable lesson this year. They’ll spend the money to back up Rodgers in 2024. I’ll reserve judgement until next year. I want to see what this staff can do when the qb is, at the bare minimum, not hurting the team any longer. Maybe even get some help from the qb position? 

chargers say hi...but I mostly agree with you on this point. 

i think IF the only major injury was to Rodgers, the jets would be in the playoffs right now.  the amount of injuries they sustained, particularly on the o-line, made it impossible to run an offense.

don't mistake this for me saying wilson is good, because it's not.  he stinks and the coaching staff stinks.  no qb would be successful for the jets this past year the way it all shook out.

1 hour ago, jetspenguin said:

chargers say hi...but I mostly agree with you on this point. 

Staley is in a league of his own. Defensive minded coach that consistently had some of the worst defenses in football. Throw in all the unnecessary risks and the hiring of Kellen moore and the chargers never had a chance.

If we had a poll here in August asking what the expected record would be if Rodgers went down with an achilles tear in the first drive of the season, the vast majority of people would've landed in the 6-8 win range... especially with how brutal the schedule was envisioned to start the season.

Actually experiencing it is another thing and that's where everybody is frustrated, but you are 100% playing yourself if you think you would've said playoffs was the expectation without Rodgers this season.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ECURB said:

Lazard wasn’t supposed to be swapped out for Davis though. The CD thing was a shocker.

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

if the Jets had kept Darnold they'd be in the playoffs

Nah. 

Darnold would have never survived after another bad year in 2021 when the team was still largely devoid of talent. Sure, we would have been better off having Darnold start games instead of Zach Wilson these past two years, but Darnold had no realistic way of staying on the roster past 2021.

Darnold also has that crucial turnover gene that always kills you in a big spot. We  saw that even yesterday. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Nah. 

Darnold would have never survived after another bad year in 2021 when the team was still largely devoid of talent. Sure, we would have been better off having Darnold start games instead of Zach Wilson these past two years, but Darnold had no realistic way of staying on the roster past 2021.

Darnold also has that crucial turnover gene that always kills you in a big spot. We  saw that even yesterday. 

keep in mind it's not just keep Darnold you draft Sewell or Parsons or Chase you keep the 2nd rounder in the Rodgers trade which turned into Jayden Reed (112 yds yesterday rec)  you don't trade Moore you have another 2nd rounder in this draft etc 

the realistic way he stays on the roster at the time was "big Money" but really is peanuts compared to what they paid for 4 plays of Aaron 

agree about the turnovers but this team has been turning it over all year the defense keeps them in these games 

Expectations don't matter once the season is underway. 

Last year, the team was 7-4 with something like a 75% chance to make the playoffs and lost 6 straight to finish 7-10. 

This year, the team was 4-3 with Zach Wilson and then lost 7 of their last 10 games to finish 7-10. 

Bad coaching and roster management were a big part of both the 2022 and 2023 collapses.

We are tired of excuses. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

If the Jets had signed Wentz, they’d be in the playoffs. 

What is unforgivable and should have lead to the firing of Douglas and Saleh, is not doing anything after week 1... The Colts had a viable backup and were a pass away from a playoff birth....the browns lost Watson and went and got who should be the comeback player of the year...

Albeit with backups, Wentz was 70% and threw 2 touchdowns and ran for another yesterday and he hasn't played all year! Ignoring the qb spot after week one should have been the final nail in the coffin...instead, the organization makes excuses and decides to run it back, which is just rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, bitonti said:

keep in mind it's not just keep Darnold you draft Sewell or Parsons or Chase you keep the 2nd rounder in the Rodgers trade which turned into Jayden Reed (112 yds yesterday rec)  you don't trade Moore you have another 2nd rounder in this draft etc 

the realistic way he stays on the roster at the time was "big Money" but really is peanuts compared to what they paid for 4 plays of Aaron 

We should have traded down in 2021 and still gotten Sewell or Parsons or Chase. No argument there.

That has no bearing on keeping Darnold. Trading Sam was always inevitable after a 3rd bad (actually, disastrous) year here because we were never going to pick up his 5th year option. If we had somehow brought Sam back in 2021, he would have been gone after a mediocre (at best) season in year 4. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ECURB said:

Green Bay identified the reason they didn't make the playoffs last year.  Aaron Rodgers.  

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

mediocre (at best) season in year 4. 

you're not wrong but remember when people were saying all we need is Aaron to be average for this team to go all the way

I'm not saying Darnold would be amazing he's just better than Zach

if the Jets could have made the playoffs with Wentz they could have made the playoffs with Darnold (who had more yards than Wentz h2h yesterday)

• Upvote 1

The main thing is we know the Jets are a 7 win team while trotting out the 32nd most effective offense in football. They’ve done it two years in a row. The AFC East was won with 11 wins. What can the Jets do to add 4 more wins to their total? Aaron Rodgers playing 17 games would be a step in the right direction, and adding a #2 wide receiver in free agency is very attainable  this year. Everything hinges on how the line is addressed.

4 hours ago, ECURB said:

Holy sh*t. I need a drink after this; anything with alcohol.

32 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

If we had a poll here in August asking what the expected record would be if Rodgers went down with an achilles tear in the first drive of the season, the vast majority of people would've landed in the 6-8 win range... especially with how brutal the schedule was envisioned to start the season.

Actually experiencing it is another thing and that's where everybody is frustrated, but you are 100% playing yourself if you think you would've said playoffs was the expectation without Rodgers this season.

If you were here in August and predicted the Browns would make the playoffs behind the stellar play of Joe Flacco down the stretch of the season or that the Packers in a rebuilding year would get into the playoffs with Jordan Love, or that Pittsburgh would make a playoff run behind Mason Rudolph or that TB would make a playoff run with Baker Mayfield you would have been clarvioant.

The Jets were in position to make the playoffs in a year where a ton of elite QB's went down and Joe Douglas put up a white flag before the trade deadline.

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I'm not saying Darnold would be amazing he's just better than Zach

Of course he is. No argument there. 

if the Jets could have made the playoffs with Wentz they could have made the playoffs with Darnold (who had more yards than Wentz h2h yesterday)

Possibly. I'm of the belief that Darnold is one of those guys who will always kill you in a big spot with a fumble or pick. But maybe. That's not my argument though. My argument is that there was no realistic way for Darnold to still be on the team in 2023. He just wasn't good enough to earn a second contract here, which we had to give him by the end of 2021 at the very latest. 

you're not wrong but remember when people were saying all we need is Aaron to be average for this team to go all the way

I think most people felt this team was average QB play away from being a playoff team. I picked us to go 10-7 and grab a wildcard with a healthy Rodgers. I don't think that was an unreasonable prediction given that we won 7 games without him. (and btw, as it turned out, we may have lost the tie-breaker at 10 wins and missed out on the postseason, anyway)

However, after seeing how old Rodgers looked in his 4 snaps before the injury and then seeing how badly this coaching staff performed all year, I certainly have my doubts. 

• Upvote 1