2024 Starting Left Tackle - What Can We Do?

We played ourselves out of draft position to draft a starting LT. The top projected FA LT is injury prone Tyron Smith who may not even make it to free agency. @AFJF suggested we might be able to sign Jonah Williams as our LT but he had a really shaky run at it in Cincinnati culminating in him being replaced by Orlando Brown Jr. in FA last year. As an aside, Brown took less money than the Jets were offering last offseason to play with Cincinnati.

Other options are currently on the roster. Carter Warren could be moved back to where he played most of his college career. Do we trust him to be our starting LT? Run it back w/Duane Brown (currently the #2 projected FA LT from what I see) or Mekhi Becton (yikes)?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/left-tackle//

Talk me down from the ledge. Imma scurred. If Tyron Smith makes it to FA I think we have to back up the brinks for a guy who is 33 and has struggled w/staying healthy.

• Upvote 1

Saleh talked today about the importance of giving AVT one position to play and not moving him. 

My best guess is that he locks down one of the tackle spots next year. My guess would be that is RT, but it could be LT. 

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

It’s obviously going to be Bahktiari

with what he said about the MetLife turf?

That would be a classic Jets move - signing an OL who is never healthy to play for a team that can't keep OL healthy. 

• Upvote 2

It’s not ideal, but either Smith or Bakhtiari are the best options.

If they’re healthy, they’re still two of the best LT’s in football. Problem is they’re hardly ever healthy.

And I’d rather roll with Warren over paying Jonah Williams $12+ million a year just to inevitably suck.

Honestly, I think the Jets are going to keep AVT at RT, bring in a stopgap veteran LT and maybe add a free agent guard like Runyan or Zeitler.

With the Jets picking at #10, going with one of the offensive skill players like Bowers, Odunze, Nabers or Coleman seems like the best bet.

The OL doesn’t need to be dominant. It just needs to be middle of the road and not get Rodgers killed.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Saleh talked today about the importance of giving AVT one position to play and not moving him. 

My best guess is that he locks down one of the tackle spots next year. My guess would be that is RT, but it could be LT. 

Yeah, the same guy who had avt play every position but center and preaches how every player needs know how to play other players positions (except for Tomlinson).

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

We played ourselves out of draft position to draft a starting LT. The top projected FA LT is injury prone Tyron Smith who may not even make it to free agency. @AFJF suggested we might be able to sign Jonah Williams as our LT but he had a really shaky run at it in Cincinnati culminating in him being replaced by Orlando Brown Jr. in FA last year. As an aside, Brown took less money than the Jets were offering last offseason to play with Cincinnati.

Other options are currently on the roster. Carter Warren could be moved back to where he played most of his college career. Do we trust him to be our starting LT? Run it back w/Duane Brown (currently the #2 projected FA LT from what I see) or Mekhi Becton (yikes)?

Talk me down from the ledge. Imma scurred. If Tyron Smith makes it to FA I think we have to back up the brinks for a guy who is 33 and has struggled w/staying healthy.

At this point, I'd offer Tyron Smith a fully guaranteed three year, $75 million deal.

I'd also bring Becton back as a swing tackle and have him compete at RT on a one year, $6-7 million deal. I'd then draft an OT with pick 10.

4 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Latham, Mims, fauga and a few others 

There are other prospects and I bet you a dollar for fun that some of them shoot up draft boards as the process moves along...

those are right tackles at best (maybe G), not left tackles. We're talking about left tackle.

43 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Yeah, the same guy who had avt play every position but center and preaches how every player needs know how to play other players positions (except for Tomlinson).

We need Thomas Morestead to learn the QB position to be QB3.

• Upvote 2

After the colossal failure of all recommendations from Rodgers, and the OL injuries the Jets have sustained the past two seasons, I don't think Douglas is going to risk his job on a Bakhtiari at LT entering his age 33 season who - however outstanding he may be when he's healthy - has had his last 4 seasons look like:

• missed 4 reg season games and was inactive the playoffs
  • started 1 game in week 17 and was inactive in the playoffs
  • started 11 games, missed 6 fully, plus missed about half the snaps or more in 3 more. 
  • started week 1, didn't finish, never saw the field again, and will again be inactive for the playoffs

He may be fully recovered, and I've read the missteps with his past treatments/surgeries, but I wonder if that's still probably too much of a risk for Douglas & if a bounceback season happens it'll just happen for someone else. Maybe if he was at an extreme enough discount after missing so many games recently that they could still ink another mid-level starter, but if he's in the $12MM+ range I think they pass and even Rodgers would understand after this team's OL injury messes.

Top pick would be Tyron Smith, if he's even available (and if he is, if he's willing to sign with the Jets over all other suitors). I think he ultimately stays in Dallas, but who knows if they'll only want another short + cheap extension from him. He makes an easy fit with the 'best of the rest' round 1 OL picks better suited for RT.

Expectation is one of the two who fills Douglas's obsession with starting at more than one position

• Trent Brown = still plays at a high enough level, and despite some injury history of his own it isn't as bad as Bakhtiari's. Won't be a bank-breaker, though I don't think they're economy-shopping for a starting tackle.
  • Jonah Williams = if he doesn't find a better offer or likely future elsewhere, but they could end up with him and a rookie, both of whom probably belong at RT. However like Brown he also has experience on both sides, even if his play at LT wasn't exactly as an impenetrable force, and he's young so he could legitimately provide at least 3-4 years of stability they likely wouldn't get from Brown. 

I guess there's always the possibility of re-signing Becton, but think both sides are likely to move on. 

• Post of the Week 1

Jokes aside I think we should be

• signing two OTs this free agency and possibly a guard
  • determining if guard of tackle will be AVTs permanent position
  • draft best OL in the 1st round unless the drop off in talent by the time we pick is really bad
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

After the colossal failure of all recommendations from Rodgers, and the OL injuries the Jets have sustained the past two seasons, I don't think Douglas is going to risk his job on a Bakhtiari at LT entering his age 33 season who - however outstanding he may be when he's healthy - has had his last 4 seasons look like:

• missed 4 reg season games and was inactive the playoffs
  • started 1 game in week 17 and was inactive in the playoffs
  • started 11 games, missed 6 fully, plus missed about half the snaps or more in 3 more. 
  • started week 1, didn't finish, never saw the field again, and will again be inactive for the playoffs

He may be fully recovered, and I've read the missteps with his past treatments/surgeries, but I wonder if that's still probably too much of a risk for Douglas & if a bounceback season happens it'll just happen for someone else. Maybe if he was at an extreme enough discount after missing so many games recently that they could still ink another mid-level starter, but if he's in the $12MM+ range I think they pass and even Rodgers would understand after this team's OL injury messes.

Top pick would be Tyron Smith, if he's even available (and if he is, if he's willing to sign with the Jets over all other suitors). I think he ultimately stays in Dallas, but who knows if they'll only want another short + cheap extension from him. He makes an easy fit with the 'best of the rest' round 1 OL picks better suited for RT.

Expectation is one of the two who fills Douglas's obsession with starting at more than one position

• Trent Brown = still plays at a high enough level, and despite some injury history of his own it isn't as bad as Bakhtiari's. Won't be a bank-breaker, though I don't think they're economy-shopping for a starting tackle.
  • Jonah Williams = if he doesn't find a better offer or likely future elsewhere, but they could end up with him and a rookie, both of whom probably belong at RT. However like Brown he also has experience on both sides, even if his play at LT wasn't exactly as an impenetrable force, and he's young so he could legitimately provide at least 3-4 years of stability they likely wouldn't get from Brown. 

I guess there's always the possibility of re-signing Becton, but think both sides are likely to move on. 

Yea I don't see Bakhtiari as a legit option, which is why I didn't mention him.

Jonah Williams career at LT was basically, injury season, injury season, give up the most sacks in the league season, replaced by Brown and moved to RT. Can't say that would give me warm fuzzies for our starting LT.

Trent Brown has played most of his career at RT - I guess for good reason.

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

Yea I don't see Bakhtiari as a legit option, which is why I didn't mention him.

Jonah Williams career at LT was basically, injury season, injury season, give up the most sacks in the league season, replaced by Brown and moved to RT. Can't say that would give me warm fuzzies for our starting LT.

Trent Brown has played most of his career at RT - I guess for good reason.

Yeah I don't disagree with any of this. Truth is Brown's last stellar season at LT was several years ago at this point (plus however much he benefitted even then from Brady Rules). Time flies, lol.

The other avenue they could go, potentially, is to grab a FA to park at RT (Williams, etc.) and trade up for a LT in the draft. I don't know what they'd have to give up, as it's too early to know where anyone's likely to go yet. Their 3rd this year (or 4th this year & 3rd next year) may be enough to move up enough to move up for one of them. Could even then trade down ~15 spots in round 3 to recoup that 4th when the time comes, I guess, depending who's fallen to their rd 3 pick. 

If he was willing to trade a pair of 3rds to move up for AVT with the absolute intention of playing him at guard, I don't see Douglas balking at similar to move up for a LT. Granted, they had a zillion picks that year, but also c'mon guard vs. left tackle, plus he's going to be desperate.

• Upvote 2

It's going to be another patch work offering which will lead to an instant reply of this past season.

There's nothing out there in FA that's going to solve the O-Line problem. It's a multi-year fix and this regime/QB doesn't have the time.

Forget 2024/2025 and dream of better days.

• Upvote 1

Yosh Nijman. Would be a similar signing to George Fant a few years ago. Rodgers trust him and he has flexibility to play both sides.

My realistic ideal offseason for the OL would be

- Sign Nijman and Zeitler

- Bring back McGovern and Schweitzer as backups

- Draft Fuaga with the 10th pick

LT: Nijman / Warren

LG: AVT

C : Tippmann / McGovern

RG: Zeitler / Schweitzer

RT: Fuaga / TBD

• Upvote 1

I think we have to go after T.Smith and give him what he wants. Injury history be damned.  

Cut Tomlinson and go after Zeitler or one of the other top FA OGs.

Keep AVT at G and draft JC Latham or Fuaga to play RT. Just plug and play one of those big uglies. 

T.Smith, Zietler, Tippy, AVT, Fuaga/Latham. I'd be happy with this outcome. 

*Becton is as good as gone. I think he has no interest in being a Jet and will probably get a better offer elsewhere anyway. 

I DEFINITELY don't trust Mitchell or Warren to start at either LT or RT.

And D.Brown should just retire. 

Oh, and keep drafting developmental o-line in the later part of the draft. Maybe if we tag and trade Huff and re-coup a 2nd rounder we could get Jordan Morgan - OT in Rd. 2. A guy who could take over after T.Smith as soon as 2025-26? 

• Upvote 1

I think they're going to do something along the lines of signing Bakhtiari and Nijman, then drafting someone. Might be different names but guys who give the same vibe.

Bakhtiari gives upside, Nijman can play both sides in case of Bakhtiari injury, but a rookie could take the RT job from Nijman if Bakhtiari is healthy and nobody would blink.

Doesn't box them into needing an OT at 10, but they could and it's not a problem. Warren can provide additional depth and Mitchell can kick inside but back out if Bakhtiari is out for the season early.

As for those who say Douglas wouldn't risk the job with a guy like Bakhtiari, he's repeatedly made those kinds of moves and has limited assets at his disposal. Not like there's a clearly good option out there.

Letting Fant go, as cheap as he's been, was a miss IMO. Should've just left him at LT when he showed he was good there.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

At this point, I'd offer Tyron Smith a fully guaranteed three year, $75 million deal.

I'd also bring Becton back as a swing tackle and have him compete at RT on a one year, $6-7 million deal. I'd then draft an OT with pick 10.

Tyron has missed 36 games over the last 4 years.   Not really the durability the Jets crave.

I'd bring back Becton, it just depends on the money.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, derp said:

I think they're going to do something along the lines of signing Bakhtiari and Nijman, then drafting someone. Might be different names but guys who give the same vibe.

Bakhtiari gives upside, Nijman can play both sides in case of Bakhtiari injury, but a rookie could take the RT job from Nijman if Bakhtiari is healthy and nobody would blink.

Doesn't box them into needing an OT at 10, but they could and it's not a problem. Warren can provide additional depth and Mitchell can kick inside but back out if Bakhtiari is out for the season early.

As for those who say Douglas wouldn't risk the job with a guy like Bakhtiari, he's repeatedly made those kinds of moves and has limited assets at his disposal. Not like there's a clearly good option out there.

Letting Fant go, as cheap as he's been, was a miss IMO. Should've just left him at LT when he showed he was good there.

Bakhtiari has played in 13 games over the last 3 years.  Again, not really the stability we need.

non-first round LT starters in the NFL:

VERY GOOD

BUF - Dion Dawkins (3x Pro Bowl, Rd 2) FROM RAHWAY NJ and TEMPLE the Jets backyard  

MIA - Terron Armstead (5x Pro Bowl, Rd 3) 

NEP - Trent Brown (1x Pro Bowl, rd 7) 

CIN - Orlando Brown (4x Pro Bowl, rd 3) 

WAS - Charles Leno (1x Pro Bowl, rd 7)

GOOD/DECENT

CHI - Braxton Jones, rd 5

GBB - Rasheed Walker, rd 7 

IND - Bernhard Raimann rd 3

KCC - Donovan Smith rd 2 (from HEMPSTEAD NY and PENN STATE the Jets backyard

LAR - Alaric Jackson undrafted 

PIT - Dan Moore, rd 4

PHI - Jordan Mailata, rd 7

this idea they have to draft top 5 to get a starter is mostly true but there are a third of the league who found other options 

they just have to be smart about it - especially with local guys like Dion Dawkins 

the same goes for QB by the way Lamar the MVP was a 1.32 

They definitely won't go into the draft with nothing at LT. So either we'll extend Becton in some way or bring in a viable alternative via FA, then if the draft falls such that LT is the best option we take him and work it out in training camp as to who plays LT / RT, who are the backups etc.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't know about that. I can't see 9 offensive guys going in the first 9 picks. 

Chargers can use defense. They are over the cap and are probably going to either have to restructure some deals (Mack) and let guys go.

Cardinals. Need alot. WR, OL, Defense. So they could trade down and get alot of picks

With 3 or 4 OT tackles that could go in the first round I think one will be there when they pick

6 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Bakhtiari has played in 13 games over the last 3 years.  Again, not really the stability we need.

I don't disagree, but I don't think Douglas has made good decisions and I don't expect that to change.

• Upvote 2