Randy Mueller thinks the Jets could get a 2nd round pick in a tag and trade for Bryce Huff

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Heard Brad Spielberger (PFF’s contracts guy) explain that the Jets are kinda screwed with Huff because he’s really a $13-$15mm AAV guy and the tag is going to start at $20 million, so the acquiring team already starts out in an overpay situation where Huff has all the leverage. Spielberger said the best the Jets can expect is for a team to offer a pick that’s simply higher than the comp pick the Jets would potentially get for losing Huff. Which the Jets wouldn’t get anyway because they’re going to chase bad free agents around. 

Joe Douglas will tag Huff and trade him to the Seahawks for their 1st round pick. 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t think they can do it unless they think McDonald is already a lost cause. It’ll either have to be a three year deal where the next GM has to deal with the big cap hits or they’ll have to trade him. Seems pretty likely that they’d look at that $23 million figure and choose to break it up among a couple of free agent interior OL, Davante Adams, and probably Bakhtiari’s retirement fund. 

I presume they'd just bully some guys into pushing money into the future to make room. Win now team can't be in the business of giving assets away for nothing.

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1

The tag will be around 20million. It would really limit the Jets flexibility while they carry that 20million on the cap. I think they will have to let him hit the market (he won’t sign early, he wants to get paid). Then see if they can make a competitive market offer (doubtful). Will probably get 3rd round comp pick for him at best.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Will probably get 3rd round comp pick for him at best.

sign me up. 

Saleh keeps telling us that his vaunted defense is "plug and play" . He's got enough horses to figure out how to replace Huff's production. Let Saleh and Ulrich figure it out.

The #1 priority is to keep Rodgers upright next year. You can buy a good tackle for 20mil or so/yr.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Yes, I mentioned 2021 - as I already stated - that was his second season as an UDFA and first season in Saleh’s system. Players develop. It took QW 4 season to start to consistently dominate. Huff is a lot better than he was in 2021. 

it’s entirely possible another team sees more long term potential in Huff than the Jets do. 

I'm sure some other team will, but it's also possible - more likely, probable - the Jets got to know his weaknesses better than prospective new teams.

Again, I'd like to have retained him as well, but once Douglas - yet again - waited too long to extend a valued player, the cost only goes up, and in some cases (like this) they can go up to the point the cap space is better spent elsewhere. He got lucky one time, with Quincy Williams, because he had his huge leap forward after getting re-signed, but that wasn't by design; if he had one more year left on his rookie contract Douglas would've waited to extend him, too, and after the season he just put up his $ might have gone up another $5-6MM/year. So that one was more lucky than good, especially seeing how he'd have been even less to extend if done a full year earlier. I'll take that W, because he's the rare player who got so much better after getting paid, but that's luck more than shrewd planning.

Same here. It would've been easy to extend Huff at Quincy's $ a year ago, before the draft. He waited and (so far as we know) didn't engage in extension talks until the middle of his walk year. It's myopic, and it's a pattern with him. That is, except when he felt the need to extend the likes of Ryan Griffin after his best 3-4 game stretch ever, as though that was going to be his new baseline going forward. Ditto with JFM who wouldn't have been anywhere near $13MM/year if he was extended before the season instead of right after he got out to a great start. Who else was extended early other than those two? Maybe another that did work out, but no one comes to mind for me offhand.

Plus yeah, in this instance Huff wants to enter the season as the starter, and if that was happening it would've happened this season before McDonald adds 10 lbs and got his taste of how much better NFL offensive linemen are than college stiffs. He's clearly not going to bypass fielding offers as a UFA. At that point Douglas can try to beat it by enough if his offers cap out at $10-11MM somehow, but that's pretty unlikely.

He's gone. 

• Upvote 2

If Huff could bag 10 sacks with the Jets never playing with a lead, imagine what he could do with a legit QB next season in AR and the Jets theoretically playing with 4th Q leads.

Joe Douglas is an idiot for not extending him on the cheap last season and instead making the decision to pivot to Will McD.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

What’s confusing about is that the whole justification for drafting McDonald was that Rodgers was going to score points, there’d be a million pass rush snaps to go around, and “you can’t have too many pass rushers,” which, fine, but then they’re going to let Huff walk because he’s not great against the run? Simple explanation is that Douglas had this plan in place two years ago, Huff over-performed, and Douglas doesn’t want to deviate from his plan, which is dumb but super consistent with who he’s been as a GM. The QB is awful? Let’s ride it out. The LT you drafted is a piece of sh*t? Let’s ride it out. Duane Brown is 38 and has been injured for the last five years? Let’s pencil him in to a starting job with no Plan B. 

I’ve got nothing to add here, as it’s pretty spot on.  This mindset will, ultimately, be Joe Douglas’ downfall barring Rodgers masking every single problem that he has created which, while possible, I’m not banking on.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I’ve got nothing to add here, as it’s pretty spot on.  This mindset will, ultimately, be Joe Douglas’ downfall barring Rodgers masking every single problem that he has created which, while possible, I’m not banking on.

Yes, in short:

Joe Douglas is a stubborn, conceited a—wipe who refuses to acknowledge mistakes and instead, doubles and triples down based on an apparent belief in his own infallibility.

• Upvote 1

You guys are ******* ridiculous.   Douglas moves on as fast as anyone.   He cut ties with Zuniga, Perine and Carter pretty quickly.  He has said he would like to keep Huff and there were stories about an extension mid-season.   You can't make the kid sign and if he warrants a huge deal it makes sense to let him walk and take the comp pick.  The only way he doesn't rate a comp pick is if they sign a huge dollar tackle and I don't think any exist.

Or Mike Evans

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You guys are ******* ridiculous.   Douglas moves on as fast as anyone.   He cut ties with Zuniga, Perine and Carter pretty quickly.  He has said he would like to keep Huff and there were stories about an extension mid-season.   You can't make the kid sign and if he warrants a huge deal it makes sense to let him walk and take the comp pick.  The only way he doesn't rate a comp pick is if they sign a huge dollar tackle and I don't think any exist.

Or Mike Evans

My issue with him is waiting on talent he's got that the team internally identifies as good and not just hopeful. The team can see his jump off the edge more consistently than others, and the ideal time to extend him was after all 31 other teams passed on forking over a 2nd rounder to merely eclipse the $4MM RFA amount. And that the only times he seems to get in early on extending his current players is when they just finished a 3-4 game stretch way above their career levels buying his stocks only after they've reached all-time highs.

The funny thing is he only engaged in contract talks with Huff after the same thing happened: it was when he was on a 3-game sack streak, and then he added a 4th after talks began. We'll never know how much Douglas had in mind when engaging in extension talks midseason, but my guess is they were far apart, with Douglas thinking the $8MM range, maybe going as high as $10MM, with Huff balking at that.

At this point I can't see him retaining Huff by offering such a high contract the player won't seek out how much more he might've gotten from other teams. What would he have to offer Huff to get him to sign it before talking to anyone else? It'd be way up there. Too far up there.

If he takes a huge step backward as a full-time player, or gets injured and misses half or more of the season again, no one currently complaining will return with as many posts saying how wrong they were. 

It's a done deal. He's gone. Hopefully Douglas doesn't again look stupid the way this ends up. 

39 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

If Huff could bag 10 sacks with the Jets never playing with a lead, imagine what he could do with a legit QB next season in AR and the Jets theoretically playing with 4th Q leads.

Joe Douglas is an idiot for not extending him on the cheap last season and instead making the decision to pivot to Will McD.

And now he’s doubling down on the McDonald whiff by letting huff walk

1 hour ago, Barkus said:

The tag will be around 20million. It would really limit the Jets flexibility while they carry that 20million on the cap. I think they will have to let him hit the market (he won’t sign early, he wants to get paid). Then see if they can make a competitive market offer (doubtful). Will probably get 3rd round comp pick for him at best.

Tag Huff. Cut Mosley that saves $17 million.  We can easily find a serviceable ILB in the draft in the middle rounds

If McDonald and/or Johnson pan out then good.  Great defenses that win super bowls usually have multiple edge rushers look at the Giants

00DA4F9A-9D9D-4568-9244-1B90D00C23AB.thumb.jpeg.34cfe6ff781ac2c258254e8c2c0f3026.jpeg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I think you nailed my frustration with Douglas here, in particular with regards to how they are handling Huff as well as in general. 

this is as stubborn of a jets regime as I can remember. 

Worse yet, he's crazy stubborn on things he is objectively wrong about.

JD is the absolute worst offender of the sunk cost fallacy that has ever been seen.

6 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I just wish they traded him since season was lost so early because of the AR injury. Either way it’s terrible foresight and mismanagement by JD.

The entire 2023 year between FA, Draft and in season moved has easily been the worst GM performance that I have ever seen, despite getting the great AR. When you look at everything and the sequence of events, it’s the most incompetent performance of anything that I’ve ever seen. 

Can’t think of too many pluses other than getting Tip as a C, and Morestead at P. Maybe also locking up the 2 QWs.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

tag and trade w/Atl to move up to 6 (swap firsts) and get a starting LT.

Do that in a heartbeat, however ATL is looking for the same player in the draft that we are. Doubt they do anything like that.

5 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

They gave Huff every indication that they didn't believe in him.

- didn't work out a reasonable deal last offseason

- hit him with the 2nd round tender, begging a team to give them a pick rather than spending the $3m more on the 1st round tender which would have implied they wanted him.

- then they decided in a year they were gaining All-In on a SB that they felt they could burn a 1st on a player that was barely going to play

- then restructured Lawson to push his cap hit into 2024 when they had a free out to save all of that space.

Maybe I'm reading into that too far but I completely understand if Huff wants to play hard ball

like it or not, maybe huff isn't an every down player.  and they probably did want a second round pick.  not a bad parlay getting a udfa and then parlaying him for a second round pick..  and i don't blame huff for taking a hard line.  he wants his money but it's doubtful he'll be an every down player with his new team.

5 hours ago, maury77 said:

Yeah, but then the Jets could wait for all the big $ edge free agents to sign then remove the franchise tag like the Giants did to Barkley. 

That won't happen, Barkley never signed his Franchise tag. Huff, I'd imagine, would sign it immediately to lock in that $24m

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, BCJet said:

This is a really odd take.

We put a second round tender on an UDFA to allow the market to dictate his price/value.  No one bit on the 2nd round pick for a situational pass rusher so we paid him according to that value slot. Should JD have paid him more because Huff is a "great story"?  Why is it JD's responsibility to make him "feel wanted". Are you serious?

I really like Huff as a "story" and its great to see someone like him succeed when he was undrafted.  I also hope he get paid as much as possible for putting his body on the line playing football, but Im a jets fan and want whats best for the team. If we can get a 2nd round pick for player who we can replace with Will McDonald and use that pick on a QB or OL then im ALL for it.  This is a business and there is no reason to pay Huff unless that amount of money will help the team. 

There were plenty of fans who wanted Huff extended last offseason. I get they don't HAVE to make him feel wanted but the 2nd round tender is absolutely there to entice a team to take him. JD was correct on that value but when no one bit, that's when he should have extended him, cut Lawson and used the 2023 first on a position that would have helped thr Jets goal of a SB.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, rangerous said:

like it or not, maybe huff isn't an every down player.  and they probably did want a second round pick.  not a bad parlay getting a udfa and then parlaying him for a second round pick..  and i don't blame huff for taking a hard line.  he wants his money but it's doubtful he'll be an every down player with his new team.

Would love to get a 2nd for Huff, I'm not convinced that's what's going to happen though. If I'm Huff, I'm gambling on myself and playing on the $24m franchise tag. That's generational money and with an offense in 2024 he's likely to exceed his numbers from this year.

Gut feeling is Huff walks for nothing unfortunately.

5 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I think you nailed my frustration with Douglas here, in particular with regards to how they are handling Huff as well as in general. 

this is as stubborn of a jets regime as I can remember. 

Everything has to go perfect or we're making calls to Ryan Kalil in July...  

9 hours ago, maury77 said:

If that is really the case, it would be a great way for the Jets to recoup the 2nd rounder they lost in the AR12 trade. 

Right. Get back the 2nd rounder we lost and also lose our best pass rusher and replace him with a 1st round bust/duck. Quack Quack.

9 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

The franchise tag for DE's is gonna be close to $24m according to OTC. If I were Huff, I would force the Jets to tag me then refuse to sign a long term deal with any team. He could really implode the Jets chances of trading him if wants to play on the tag for a season. Douglas did Huff dirty last year, I don't think Huff does us any favors.

how did douglas do huff dirty last year?

3 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Worse yet, he's crazy stubborn on things he is objectively wrong about.

JD is the absolute worst offender of the sunk cost fallacy that has ever been seen.

Short memory and ridiculous theory.  

He is stubborn because he doesn't want to give Huff $20M?  Good.  I'm glad. 

21 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

how did douglas do huff dirty last year?

By doing exactly what any sane rational franchise would do.  I mean Huff rated such a great contract for 2023 that nobody made an offer, but now they are going to line up to give us a 2nd for the right pay him $24M.  Makes perfect ******* sense.  

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

Right. Get back the 2nd rounder we lost and also lose our best pass rusher and replace him with a 1st round bust/duck. Quack Quack.

Wait.  Let me get this straight.  You can get a 2nd round draft pick for an unrestricted free agent and you think that is a bad thing?  This place has officially lost me. 

Will McDonald is a bust despite having had within a half a sack of any season Huff had prior to this.  I mean Huff warrants a 2nd on the tag, but McDonald with 3 sacks and 4 TFL and 5 QB hits in under 200 snaps is a proven bust. 

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

Jets have relatively limited cap space even if they get creative, don't have a second rounder and have depth at edge rusher. Something has to give.