The Elephant in the Room

Just now, GreenFish said:

We should draft a QB. But it doesn't have to be in the first round. I like Jordan Travis in the 4th. He's currently projected to go in the 5th.

His injury scares me. It was really bad 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

I'm saying it now, draft a QB and let him sit behind Rodgers. I'm sold more than I ever have been. There is zero need to draft a lineman in round one. Build the line in the later rounds. 

disagree. go all in next 2 years...if OL isnt the pick then WR should be. we need to go into next year with Rodgers and 2 other QB's who can start if needed...overpay for a backup to be the third stringer.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

People say this every year and it never works

We've drafted a QB in the first and that hasn't worked either. This QB class is deep but it doesn't have a lot of 1st round talent. It's a very flat class.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

I'm saying it now, draft a QB and let him sit behind Rodgers. I'm sold more than I ever have been. There is zero need to draft a lineman in round one. Build the line in the later rounds. 

You might be right but you want this regime making that pick?

4 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

His injury scares me. It was really bad 

Yea. I'm assuming he comes back fully healthy. He'll have the luxury of sitting for a couple of years behind Rodgers.

I'm just not seeing that big of a difference between the guys being mocked in the 1st versus guys being mocked in the mid rounds. Jordan Travis when healthy is as talented as those guys. Only knock on him is that he doesn't have a rocket arm. But he has everything else.

3 minutes ago, Trotter said:

You might be right but you want this regime making that pick?

I agree but too much talent at QB in this draft. There's so many guys that I feel will thrive if they are given the chance to sit for a few years under Rodgers. 

1 minute ago, GreenFish said:

We've drafted a QB in the first and that doesn't work either. This QB class is deep but it doesn't have a lot of 1st round talent. It's a very flat class.

Green Bay has had the luxury of letting both Rodgers and now Love be able to “sit and watch” their first couple years in the league.  Mahomes got to watch his first year.  Not that it’s a guarantee of success but I think it narrows the probability of a Bust somewhat.

Jets need to 1. Get Rodgers more help with another WR (FA or Trade) 2.  Draft a QB and let him watch Rodgers this coming year.

• Upvote 2

Just now, GreenFish said:

Yea. I'm assuming he comes back fully healthy. He'll have the luxury of sitting for a couple of years behind Rodgers.

I'm just not seeing that big of a difference between the guys being mocked in the 1st versus guys being mocked in the mid rounds. Jordan Travis when healthy is as talented as those guys. Only knock on him is that he doesn't have a rocket arm. But he has everything else.

I agree. I'm a diehard FSU fan and have followed his college career since the days he was boo'd off the field years ago. 

I'm good with it, if that's their plan. This is a deep class, but I also fear if we wait, we will miss out on a guy like Travis because someone will pick him up with the same mindset as us. 

My biggest fear is we pull another Becton disaster and draft a lineman in 1st round 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You had me until you said zero need for a lineman in round 1.

There is zero need for a lineman in round 1. Starters are found all throughout the later rounds. The entire Packers offensive line has zero first rounders on it. 

27 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

We've drafted a QB in the first and that hasn't worked either.

This is backwards. The Jets’ first-round QBs have failed because the Jets are incompetent, not because the first round is devoid of talent

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

31 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

I think that too depending on how free agency goes.  They could use a top pick and draft penix and just sit and watch Rodgers for a season or two.  Currently penix isn’t in the top ten.  That may change but if it holds then the jets could take him.

If one of the top-3 drops to pick 10, then yeah you absolutely should at least consider it.  Honestly if JD picked a QB as a lame duck GM, my respect for him would be boosted significantly.  It would tell me he values the long-term future of this team even ahead of his own job.  

...but yeah, nothing frustrates me more than reading "we've tried drafting QBs, it doesn't work".  OK guy.  Has free agency "worked" for us?  How about trades?  That Rodgers trade really worked great huh.  Whether or not we draft one this year, we will draft one again, soon.  It will happen.  As it should.