lets not be fair to joe d

58 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Hardly anything of note there besides Huff as UDFA ( and likely won’t be back). You need guys who can start. Anyone can pick Garrett Wilson at 10 or Breece Hall at the top of the second. 

9 teams failed to pick Wilson, and 22 teams failed to pick Breece so not anyone can pick them. But you really mean is that this Jets Coaching didn't have to develop either Hall or Wilson. Saleh has yet to develop anyone offensively throughout his tenure here.

The Jets have 4 massive needs, a OT, an IOL, another WR and a QB. Two of the needs will be remedied by Rodgers and their 1st round pick.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-rodgers/1085

The big cheap year was last year when he played 4 snaps and we used that cap money on the likes if cook and lazard.  The cap hit gets worse and worse and conveniently lines up with when we have to lay some of our good young players.

His cap number next year is 17,161,112. Hardly crippling

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

when you consider the becton pick iself along with the fact he passed on Wirfs a pro bowl player when TONS of causal fans knew it was a terrible move....

It reminds me of the Kyle Brady pick over Warren Sapp(although different positions) fans knew what our gm did not

TONS .....Yeah, okay.  Let me guess, you were one of them.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-rodgers/1085

The big cheap year was last year when he played 4 snaps and we used that cap money on the likes if cook and lazard.  The cap hit gets worse and worse and conveniently lines up with when we have to lay some of our good young players.

That says he counts for 6.9% of the cap and then 9% in 2025. Compare that to other QB's and that's pretty dang low. That doesn't seem crippling to me. 

45 minutes ago, Claymation said:

His cap number next year is 17,161,112. Hardly crippling

By spreading that money across five years each time, it saves nearly $5 million in cap space this year and close to $10 million in both 2024 and 2025. However, it does mean that if the Jets allow Rodgers’ contract to void in 2026, he will leave behind $35 million in dead money.

Rodgers’ salary cap numbers break down as follows over the next four years:

• 2023: $8.889 million
  • 2024: $17.161 million
  • 2025: $51.5 million
  • 2026: $35 million

Those final two years mean that Rodgers will have leverage in 2025 to try and get a new deal. He will be 42 by then, but with the prospect of $86.5 million hanging over the Jets across two years, they may very well be willing to offer him another deal.

5 hours ago, Jetfuel66 said:

Yeah, 

Don't count the fact that he traded for a HOF QB and only gave up two number two's.

Or the fact that he snagged Quincy Williams from the scrap heap and developed him into a pro bowl LB. Not to mention JFM, Bryce Huff, and Tony Adams all excellent waiver or UDFA pick ups.

Plus he had one of the best drafts in history with Sauce Wilson Johnson and Breece.

And also rebuilt a bottom tier no talent team with major cap issues in three years.

Yes only focus on the few negatives. GOD its sooooooo easy to be miserable. 

Almost every other GM or coach goes through the same critiques from no nothing fans who just revel in negativity. We can go through the endless list.... Belichick was considered a bad coach until he was able to implement his system and players in NE. Shanahan's first few years with the niners were suspect and well as Lynch's. Matt Lafleur was under some heat last year. I can go on and on.

No GM or coach is perfect and gets it right all of the time. Its simply not realistic.

The CONSTANT Negative Undertone on this sight from no nothing fans is depressing. 

Douglas is a well respected GM in this league. He has done a lot of good things and made a lot of good moves. Not perfect but good. Endlessly writing thread after thread about him and Saleh is just whining like a spoiled child.

For me, I'm looking ahead with some optimism. 

I would only add, he was a first time GM.  He has grown, and if the argument was he hired Saleh, maybe, maybe, just maybe, he can grow in that aspect as well.

I am sure everyone on here nailed their first times at whatever it was with no mistakes.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, hawk said:

I would only add, he was a first time GM.  He has grown, and if the argument was he hired Saleh, maybe, maybe, just maybe, he can grow in that aspect as well.

I am sure everyone on here nailed their first times at whatever it was with no mistakes.

It’s just the nature of the business. Guys with a record like his just don’t keep their jobs. If he doesn’t win this year, he’s gone. First timer or not. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, kmnj said:

when you consider the becton pick iself along with the fact he passed on Wirfs a pro bowl player when TONS of causal fans knew it was a terrible move....

It reminds me of the Kyle Brady pick over Warren Sapp(although different positions) fans knew what our gm did not

Becton was pancaking some of the best pass rushers in the league his Rookie season.  He was the OL with by far the highest ceiling on Draft day and JD rolled the dice.

The fact that Becton showed to be an immature malcontent is unfortunate.  He won’t be a Jet next year.  The whole draft is a crap shoot, except when you’re considering Sapp over Kyle Brady.  And even then Sapp was never a model citizen and the teams he played for were lucky he was on the field as much as he was and performed at the level he did.

I’m not a JD fan anymore but would like to see the Jets record when they have an NFL QB starting and he is still the GM, doesn’t even have to be Rodgers, just a middle of the pack guy leaning to the bottom half…with the Jet D.

• Upvote 2

I have liked some of the moves JD has made and scratched my head at some others like many of us.  BUT where i really started to change my opinion of him was this season.  I felt he hung Saleh out to dry as the season went to sh*t and let Saleh take all the bullets from the media each day at his press conferences.  JD had an opportunity to show some of his own leadership skills and get out in front of some of those bullets and take some pressure off Saleh and the team.  But he didnt.  he stayed locked in his office and let Saleh answer all the questions, many of which were player acquisition type questions.  From the lack of signing a backup QB while other teams found solutions to QB injuries,  to the Cook signing,, to the O line depth etc    He needed to get out in front of that and take some of the heat.  Thats why executives are paid the big bucks.  He didnt.  I certainly think it was a bad look for him as a GM of a billion dollar organization.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Douglas has been very good at about 1/2 the things you need from a GM and terrible on the other half.

As with most GMs in the end you draft well or you don't and that defines you long term.

The thing that surprised me about him and not in a good way was the whole Rodgers affair botch up.   He handled that a bad as a GM could handle it.

Honestly you can kill JD over a dozen things. Not sure Rodgers is one of them.  Woody cut his nuts off on that one...

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, kmnj said:

I know I know another Joe D thread .... but I see threads that evaluate components of the job Joe has down-but we need to be fair to Joe break it down in totality. 

when we evaluate/judge Joe D- lets be fair and give credit where credit is due-we need to look at all aspects of his "accomplishments" not just one aspect of his "performance"

-He drafted two of the biggest busts in NY jet history-not an easy task-Becton and Wilson-should be fired for these picks alone

-He went through an extensive coaching search and settled on Saleh-one of the worst head coaches in the league if not the worst-not just by the  eye test but the actual  record he has "earned"-every time you say wow our coach is awful remember who brought him in. 

-his actual record at a GM-going to go down as the worst record in history of the Jets 

Thanks Joe

to the fanboys I know I know he needs time to get his  plan executed it is not fair to judge him now....

You:  We need to be fair.

Also you: Leaves out trading for a hall of fame QB. Drafting three awesome players in Round one two years ago, and Breece Hall in the 2nd.

Hired Saleh who built one of the top defenses in the league.

They get this year to see if the Rodgers gamble pays off. That is what is called being fair. If it doesn't they all go.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Douglas has been very good at about 1/2 the things you need from a GM and terrible on the other half.

As with most GMs in the end you draft well or you don't and that defines you long term.

The thing that surprised me about him and not in a good way was the whole Rodgers affair botch up.   He handled that a bad as a GM could handle it.

And this is my only beef at this point with JD....the Rodgers trade....not that I didn't want AR here, but the simple fact is that there was NO OTHER NFL team that could have even fit AR and his contract into their cap and AR stated he wanted to be here.  There was NO WAY the GBP were not going to rid themselves of AR last offseason...so why give a swap of 1's AND another potential 1st/2nd?

I have to laugh at the 'excuses' to downplay JD's 2022 draft like 'they were at the top of everyone's draft board'.  So GM's get no credit for making those picks but all of the blame if those picks don't pan out?  LOL.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jetpain said:

I have liked some of the moves JD has made and scratched my head at some others like many of us.  BUT where i really started to change my opinion of him was this season.  I felt he hung Saleh out to dry as the season went to sh*t and let Saleh take all the bullets from the media each day at his press conferences.  JD had an opportunity to show some of his own leadership skills and get out in front of some of those bullets and take some pressure off Saleh and the team.  But he didnt.  he stayed locked in his office and let Saleh answer all the questions, many of which were player acquisition type questions.  From the lack of signing a backup QB while other teams found solutions to QB injuries,  to the Cook signing,, to the O line depth etc    He needed to get out in front of that and take some of the heat.  Thats why executives are paid the big bucks.  He didnt.  I certainly think it was a bad look for him as a GM of a billion dollar organization.  

Most NFL GMs do not do in season 'pressers', for the simple reason they do not want their NFL counterparts to understand the discussions in their building as to their wants/needs.

• Upvote 2

lets be fair. we won 7 games in each of the last 2 years with the worst QB room in the NFL. now yeah thats JDs fault but its also a credit to him AND Saleh to win that many games like that.

only way to truly be able to judge them is with a QB and next year we have Rodgers.

and dont give me that " Saleh gets outcoached" crap cause i seen bad coaching all over the place. 

Mcvey punting it away with 5 mins and never getting the ball back, or that Detroit coach who kept going for 2 and ruin his chance at getting the #1 seed. 

Daboll makes bad decisions every week. 

McCarthy had his ass handed to him yesterday. if that was Saleh you be saying his team wasnt prepared and got outcoached. 

they all do it, but they have QBs that make them look good. 

JD is an interesting specimen because he put together an almost great roster, but the few spots he failed at were so bad it undermined the rest of the team. Luckily that means it can be fixed with a few great moves, but also leaves little room for error.

Not to mention the whole CS disaster he's resposible for.

I'm interested in what he's planning this offseason, because if 2024 doesn't pan out he's on the chopping block for sure.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

There was nothing here when Douglas got here. If he was fired today he leaves:

Breece Hall, Garrett Wilson, Q Williams (extended), Sauce, JJ, W McDonald, oh and a bunch of other good players.

Who?

The only one I think you're missing from the list is DJ Reed, and it's far too soon to include McDonald in this list (a luxury pick if there ever was one).

Bottom line, he is approaching Matt Millen levels of ineptitude when it comes to putting out a winning team on the field.

If you take the (paraphrased) Parcells' line of the GM picking the groceries for the head coach to cook, he's brought a few truffles to the kitchen but a whole lot of mouldy vegetables and rotten meat and then asked his hand-picked chef (who hasn't graduated from peeling potatoes) to make a dish.

He's had one decent free agent signing, a mediocre one (Corey Davis) and then he's lumbered us with Laken Tomlinson, CJ Uzomah and Carl Lawson, just off the top of my head, who have been paid millions of dollars to suck and suck hard.

Douglas' misses far outweigh the hits he's had as a GM and he's basically going to mortgage the Jets' long-term future in the next offseason to shore up his job, because he's not likely to be anywhere near the GM office in his next stop (he's looking at an Idzik-type special advisor to the GM role after the Jets fire him and Saleh next offseason).

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Breece Hall, Garrett Wilson, Q Williams (extended), Sauce, JJ, W McDonald, oh and a bunch of other good players.

The guy who runs the site can't be the only guy who gets this . . .right?

2 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

And this is my only beef at this point with JD....the Rodgers trade....not that I didn't want AR here, but the simple fact is that there was NO OTHER NFL team that could have even fit AR and his contract into their cap and AR stated he wanted to be here.  There was NO WAY the GBP were not going to rid themselves of AR last offseason...so why give a swap of 1's AND another potential 1st/2nd?

I have to laugh at the 'excuses' to downplay JD's 2022 draft like 'they were at the top of everyone's draft board'.  So GM's get no credit for making those picks but all of the blame if those picks don't pan out?  LOL.

Woody.jpg

12 hours ago, Jetfuel66 said:

Yeah, 

Don't count the fact that he traded for a HOF QB and only gave up two number two's.

Or the fact that he snagged Quincy Williams from the scrap heap and developed him into a pro bowl LB. Not to mention JFM, Bryce Huff, and Tony Adams all excellent waiver or UDFA pick ups.

Plus he had one of the best drafts in history with Sauce Wilson Johnson and Breece.

And also rebuilt a bottom tier no talent team with major cap issues in three years.

Yes only focus on the few negatives. GOD its sooooooo easy to be miserable. 

Almost every other GM or coach goes through the same critiques from no nothing fans who just revel in negativity. We can go through the endless list.... Belichick was considered a bad coach until he was able to implement his system and players in NE. Shanahan's first few years with the niners were suspect and well as Lynch's. Matt Lafleur was under some heat last year. I can go on and on.

No GM or coach is perfect and gets it right all of the time. Its simply not realistic.

The CONSTANT Negative Undertone on this sight from no nothing fans is depressing. 

Douglas is a well respected GM in this league. He has done a lot of good things and made a lot of good moves. Not perfect but good. Endlessly writing thread after thread about him and Saleh is just whining like a spoiled child.

For me, I'm looking ahead with some optimism. 

When can we make the playoffs or have a winning season?

13 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

When can we make the playoffs or have a winning season?

Some of you are never happy. Ya'll were told it was a 12 year plan. You can fire him now, but then it's just a new GM and another 12 year plan. Do you think it's easy to finish 3rd in the AFC East in just 4 years?

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, kmnj said:

I know I know another Joe D thread .... but I see threads that evaluate components of the job Joe has down-but we need to be fair to Joe break it down in totality. 

when we evaluate/judge Joe D- lets be fair and give credit where credit is due-we need to look at all aspects of his "accomplishments" not just one aspect of his "performance"

-He drafted two of the biggest busts in NY jet history-not an easy task-Becton and Wilson-should be fired for these picks alone

-He went through an extensive coaching search and settled on Saleh-one of the worst head coaches in the league if not the worst-not just by the  eye test but the actual  record he has "earned"-every time you say wow our coach is awful remember who brought him in. 

-his actual record at a GM-going to go down as the worst record in history of the Jets 

Thanks Joe

to the fanboys I know I know he needs time to get his  plan executed it is not fair to judge him now....

Player Dont Be Hatin GIF by Jamie Kennedy

1 hour ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

People listing trading for Aaron Rodgers as a positive is pretty damn funny. 

It might go down as the worst trade we have made in a long time and the one that ultimately got him fired.

So far, we lost that trade handily.

I think it is funny you think getting the best available qb was a bad idea.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I think it is funny you think getting the best available qb was a bad idea.

He is 40 years old. Expensive. Coming off the worst season of his career. His last team couldn't have been happier to get rid of him and are now better without him. And he's now got this franchise taken hostage for as long as he wants.

It was an awful idea, and that's how it has played out.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Claymation said:

9 teams failed to pick Wilson, and 22 teams failed to pick Breece so not anyone can pick them. But you really mean is that this Jets Coaching didn't have to develop either Hall or Wilson. Saleh has yet to develop anyone offensively throughout his tenure here.

The Jets have 4 massive needs, a OT, an IOL, another WR and a QB. Two of the needs will be remedied by Rodgers and their 1st round pick.

This AR8 talk is so ridiculous. He is a 40 year old QB that went 9-8 his last year at GB with stats that Jordan Love just matched. AR8 will play for 1 year?   That is no plan.  How did you enjoy watching Wirfs play last night?  The 95 percent chosen OL man that dick head JD passed on for fat Becton.

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

Then put him in the scouting Dept. 

I'm going to bring up a name I haven't heard in a long time.... a long time...

Terry Bradway. 

To be truthful I could criticize Douglas if he was actually running this team he isnt that ended last season before Rogers all these moves made were first the owner demanding Rogers then Rogers demanding to have his OC and buddies from GreenBay. Right now Rogers is the GM JD is the errand boy.

• Upvote 1