Does Michael Clemons make JFM dispensable?

John Franklin-Myers is indeed a dependable solider. But with us "possible" running into a tough cap situation w/ Huff and potentially more FA signings, would anyone feel comfortable with Clemons fully taking over JFM spot? JFM is scheduled to earn $13.9M this coming season, with a cap hit of $16.4M and a dead hit of $9M. Clemons on the other hand has been good in his limited role as a hybrid inside/outside lineman. Is Michael Clemons ready to fill in for JFM or not as of yet? 

• Upvote 1

Theoretically Clemons should have taken JFM's roster spot.   But it does not appear that would work.  

I think the reality is the Jets are going to have to give up decent but not great veteran players on defense to try and salvage the offense, and theoretically have a team this is in the middle of the pack both offensively and defensively, rather than great on defense and awful on offense.  

I think such a team scratches the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Clemons might not even make the team if he plays like he did last year.

As for JFM?   Most overrated 'underrated' player year after year.

Would forget about him after about 4 weeks with a semi decent rookie or value FA.  Quinten Jefferson was a more impactful player last year.

Oh but wait....JFM has 'intangibles' right?

Was Clemons really that bad this season after a promising rookie year in which he showed flashes? 

As for JFM, he hasn't really balled out since his extension. Makes you wonder what's his expectations statically and on film. 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Theoretically Clemons should have taken JFM's roster spot.   But it does not appear that would work.  

I think the reality is the Jets are going to have to give up decent but not great veteran players on defense to try and salvage the offense, and theoretically have a team this is in the middle of the pack both offensively and defensively, rather than great on defense and awful on offense.  

Jets were hoping Rodger's QB play would compensate for a "middle of the pack offense" and elavate it to a top 6-8. Such a move unfortunately would mark the end for Mosley, JFM and Whitehead.

4 hours ago, David Harris said:

Jets made a mistake having MC gain weight to rotate at DT. Hes too small for inside. Hes better as a depth DE. But he isn’t great at anything.

Was thinking the same thing, just like Bechton losing all that weight wasn’t good for him, sometimes just leave their natural weight alone

Jfm is better than Clemmons. But not immensely better.  Clemmons can hold the fort, at a much cheaper price. We've got what we need on the d line. Pass rushers and run defenders. Jfm isn't worth the price anymore with a solid, but minor step down in talent that Clemmons brings. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, varjet said:

hate to break it to you but the jets weren't great on defense last year. above average....yeah. but this narrative that the jets are some great defense is not based on reality. without getting into anything else, the jets run defense is kinda crap. you cant have a great defense if you cant stop the run.

7 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Keep Huff and trade JFM.

JFM is better than Clemons but I’d rather have Huff.

Edge: Huff and McDonald

Edge: JJ and Clemons

That’s a great young group.

Who’s trading for JFM with that salary,  and his production( sacks) .  Teams see  he’s playing with dominant  Dt Q Williams who commands constant double teams.    He’s getting a lot of one on one block looks , and produces only 3.5 sacks .   How many teams have a Dt like Q Williams .   Without that dominant Dt you think his sack numbers are going to go up , or down.  Well to be fair to JFM jets have so many pass rushers how much does playing out of position Dt effect those numbers.   

The Problem with having two undersized De ( huff -255 McDonald - 245) is teams on third and short will just run right at both .  Both would be suspect against the run.     You would probably have run 3-4 defense if you wanted to play Huff and MacDonald together.

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Who’s trading for JFM with that salary,  and his production( sacks) .  Teams see  he’s playing with dominant  Dt Q Williams who commands constant double teams.    He’s getting a lot of one on one block looks , and produces only 3.5 sacks .   How many teams have a Dt like Q Williams .   Without that dominant Dt you think his sack numbers are going to go up , or down.  Well to be fair to JFM jets have so many pass rushers how much does playing out of position Dt effect those numbers.   

The Problem with having two undersized De ( huff -255 McDonald - 245) is teams on third and short will just run right at both .  Both would be suspect against the run.     You would probably have run 3-4 defense if you wanted to play Huff and MacDonald together.

I don't think JFM would have much of a market. I would expect an early day 3 pick.

I wouldn't play Huff and McDonald at the same time. I would rotate them on one side. And rotate JJ and Clemons on the other side.

The jets seem to have pretty good luck bringing in players to fill out the dline rotation. Qwill is about the only irreplaceable part at the moment.  I think jfm is expendable but maybe the better solution is to restructure if they need the cap space.  I’m not sure Clemmons can fit the role just yet.  Maybe this is his year to put it together.

3 hours ago, neckdemon said:

hate to break it to you but the jets weren't great on defense last year. above average....yeah. but this narrative that the jets are some great defense is not based on reality. without getting into anything else, the jets run defense is kinda crap. you cant have a great defense if you cant stop the run.

Im curious - when saying the defense is "above average" do you consider at all the effect that the offense has on the ability of the defense to "produce"?

I really think that people discount just how bad our offense was and how much it effects the defense.  When exactly has this team played with a lead in the last 2 years?  In the games where we give the defense good field position - how do they perform?

This is a team game and anything that the defense has accomplished has been done with zero production from the offense.

On 1/27/2024 at 1:53 PM, LAD_Brooklyn said:

John Franklin-Myers is indeed a dependable solider. But with us "possible" running into a tough cap situation w/ Huff and potentially more FA signings, would anyone feel comfortable with Clemons fully taking over JFM spot? JFM is scheduled to earn $13.9M this coming season, with a cap hit of $16.4M and a dead hit of $9M. Clemons on the other hand has been good in his limited role as a hybrid inside/outside lineman. Is Michael Clemons ready to fill in for JFM or not as of yet? 

No.

JFM is the far superior player.

On 1/27/2024 at 2:53 PM, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Huff is going to test free agency. He isn’t returning unless he’s tagged. Hoping for an extension to be done is very optimistic.

• Upvote 2

JFM gets 50+ pressures every year.  Pressures impact football games.

However, pressures don't get you points in fantasy football or make highlight reels so people think he sucks.

• Sympathy 1