Costello: The Jets were right to cater to Aaron Rodgers

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

No it was never the right thing to do, never.

Putting one guy above the team courts disaster.

Rodgers was coming off a season he failed to make the playoffs, lost the last game of the year to miss the playoffs and his stats were middling at best.

Was it right to try and get the QB?  Sure, the moment the cost of getting him exceeded his worth it was the wrong thing to do.

I was prepared to put up with the Rodgers media circus for the QB.

Once the cost became huge draft wise and the absurd adding of his buddies it was a no go.

Brady went to tampa and they added Gronk who could still play a bit and that was it.   Brady did not passively ask for all his old cronies who could no longer play.  Brady played for Arians with a new system and was far from coddled there.  Arians got in his case a lot.

The Jets practiced the Cardinal sin, they fell in love with a player and wanted him at all costs.

They spent so much time and effort and money getting him and his possee they were 100% totally caught off guard and totally unprepared when he got hurt.

The whole regime deserved to be fired as a result but they were actually saved by the injury.

That’s because they were trying to win a Super Bowl and make the Zach blunder looks like some weird plan. Instead, just like in Twelve Monkeys, the virus escaped and wiped us all out. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Rodgers was coming off a season he failed to make the playoffs, lost the last game of the year to miss the playoffs and his stats were middling at best.

Was it right to try and get the QB?  Sure, the moment the cost of getting him exceeded his worth it was the wrong thing to do.

Once the cost became huge draft wise and the absurd adding of his buddies it was a no go.

Brady went to tampa and they added Gronk who could still play a bit and that was it.   Brady did not passively ask for all his old cronies who could no longer play.  Brady played for Arians with a new system and was far from coddled there.  Arians got in his case a lot.

The Jets practiced the Cardinal sin, they fell in love with a player and wanted him at all costs.

They spent so much time and effort and money getting him and his possee they were 100% totally caught off guard and totally unprepared when he got hurt.

The whole regime deserved to be fired as a result but they were actually saved by the injury.

Thanks for saving me the typing lol...

It's true.

But only in respect of the fact that there isn't anyone else in the Jets organization who knows anything about winning football.

That's the real issue. No player should ever be the one in charge. If you have real coaches and front office personnel, you don't need to go there. But where we are today is a QB who has won a Super Bowl and a staff that's never won a god damn thing.

If AR8 is cut in 2025 designed June 1 (like he should be) the Jets will have a cap hit of about $24.5mm in each of 2025 and 2026.    If he plays in 2025 he has a base salary of $37.5mm and an overall cap hit of over $50mm.  

So AR8 will need to agree to play super cheap to make it worthwhile for him to play in 2025.  

So I think that the plan is that AR8 plays in 2024 and that is it.  The contract is really what it was advertised to be-2 years, $75mm total guaranteed.  The problem is that the cap hit for that contract was almost entirely pushed into the future-it was the ultimate credit card.  

The plan to me would be pretty simple.  Go for broke in 2024 with these clowns.  In 2025, we trade Garrett and Breece and load up on draft picks.  Pick OL this year that can play awhile.   Our QB in 2025 is Brett Rypien and we tank for a QB in the 2026 draft.  

• Upvote 2

If there's one play left and you need a TD and you're around the 50 the right play is a hail mary.   Chances of success are very low.

This was the right play because the GM missed on a LT and QB in the draft.  The GM hired a HC who can't coach.  The GM and the HC were on the clock and the clock was running down, the timeouts wasted and a FG doesn't get them into OT.

The Rodgers was the right move is simply an acknowledgement of the down, distance and clock as a metaphor of the rebuild under JD and Saleh.   Of course if the rebuild put us in position for victory formation by drafting and developing an elite QB and OL Rodgers would not have been the right move.  

If you're on death row and are out of appeals a jail break is the right move even though the odds are very low.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

If there's one play left and you need a TD and you're around the 50 the right play is a hail mary.   Chances of success are very low.

This was the right play because the GM missed on a LT and QB in the draft.  The GM hired a HC who can't coach.  The GM and the HC were on the clock and the clock was running down, the timeouts wasted and a FG doesn't get them into OT.

The Rodgers was the right move is simply an acknowledgement of the down, distance and clock as a metaphor of the rebuild under JD and Saleh.   Of course if the rebuild put us in position for victory formation by drafting and developing an elite QB and OL Rodgers would not have been the right move.  

If you're on death row a jail break is the right move.

This is why a smart owner would fire a GM/HC who blew the 2 draft pick QB rather than give them another chance.   

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Rodgers played his college football at Cal which is in a bigger market but not NYC. His pro career was in GB the smallest market in the NFL. Now he's in New York a city where many good players have not done well. More exposure more media. If you use that platform unwisely like saying things that are untrue, trying to influence people on your POV and politics it won't wash here. At first it seemed like Rodgers was enjoying life in the NYC area going to games, shows. With teammates it was OK. He has a right to his POV but not to lie about it. 

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I thought it was the right move because the Jets were never, ever going to draft and develop a quarterback on their own. I was aware they’d have to make concessions to Rodgers, but I foolishly underestimate the degree to which this leadership group would shamelessly debase themselves to cater to Rodgers’ every demand. 

The leadership group that made a patsy of the assistant general manager? It’s self-debasement or quit on a napkin. At least Rodgers actually wants to call shots.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Well here is where I disagree. They have built a Super Bowl ready defense. It is young and very good.

They have built excellent special teams units.

What they have never done is build an offense that is top 10 in anything close to being a statistical category.

As painful as it is, Aaron Rodgers is their best chance. Sign a WR 2 and fix the offensive line. 

That is the best chance the Jets have.

a team doesn't go from the league's worst red zone offense, league's worst third down conversion rate to a super bowl win the next year 

especially when Aaron is washed 

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I thought it was the right move because the Jets were never, ever going to draft and develop a quarterback on their own. I was aware they’d have to make concessions to Rodgers, but I foolishly underestimate the degree to which this leadership group would shamelessly debase themselves to cater to Rodgers’ every demand. 

Yeah, sums it up. I’m also getting kinda half chub thinking about the revenge tour, as pac calls it. It’d be trollerific if Aaron pulled that off.

18 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Well I didn't read it,  it agree with th title. We were right.

Now just need hackett to have Rodger call the plays and we are good. In all honesty upon further reflection hackett really is perfect for us because Rogers is going to call the plays anyway and any other coordinator would have a problem with that. So even though he is a crap coordinator, hackett is uniquely qualified to be our O coord. Someone not capable of over riding the QB who wants full control anyway.

Last year sucked but let's not pretend healthy Rodgers is anything but the best we have ever had since Namath. Literally.

Nothing since Namath has ever been close. I'm buying a Rodger jersey next year and happy about it

💯

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

a team doesn't go from the league's worst red zone offense, league's worst third down conversion rate to a super bowl win the next year 

Happens all the time.

Lol

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Beerfish said:

First off, Costello correctly states that if Rodgers was here all of the pieces he brought with him would have been much, much better. Secondly, Rodgers was injured early the prior year and had young receivers that didn't 'get' the offense until the end of the season (no #1 option), which is when  they made the run even though he was injured. Also, he was coming off 2 MVPs in 3 years and we had noone that could run an offense on the team - why wouldn't you entrust it to a first ballot Hall of Famer? You think it should have been Hackett? The other coaches built a nice defense. It's not like he's some young kid coming out of college - he has way more knowledge through experience than pretty much any offensive coach in the NFL. 

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

Tampa Bay went from a perennial loser to a superbowl winner in a single year.  Ditto with the Rams/Stafford and Denver/Manning.  In each case, the qb transformed bad to midling offenses into elite units.  

People underestimate just how big the gap is between garbage tier qbs like Wilson and simply NFL average.  

• Upvote 2

It’s really odd how Rodgers has got less and less popular when basically what happened is a miserable fail of a cut block lead to the turf taking his Achilles and he tried like hell to come back this season and was one week away.  I really don’t care about his opinions on other things.  

parts of the fanbase are like crazed fools seeking out reasons to be mad and they won 7 games and could have won 9 without the starting QB and the line being a hospital unit. 

what’s it going to be tomorrow? They don’t play in NY? 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

First off, Costello correctly states that if Rodgers was here all of the pieces he brought with him would have been much, much better. Secondly, Rodgers was injured early the prior year and had young receivers that didn't 'get' the offense until the end of the season (no #1 option), which is when  they made the run even though he was injured. Also, he was coming off 2 MVPs in 3 years and we had noone that could run an offense on the team - why wouldn't you entrust it to a first ballot Hall of Famer? You think it should have been Hackett? The other coaches built a nice defense. It's not like he's some young kid coming out of college - he has way more knowledge through experience than pretty much any offensive coach in the NFL. 

I think that is total bs.

Guys like Garett Wilson and Breece hall and Conklin still played well dspite the QBing.

Lazard got deactivated, cobb caught like 5 passes despite being a full time starter half the year.

Hackett stinks under nay metric, boyle does not belong in the leauge, turner was so bad that jag street FAs were starting in place of him.

We dumped cook becasue he was just bad.

All total bs, if you are good player you play well if you are a bad player you play bad or get benched.

All of the hangers on from last year?  Lazard will be here ONLY becaseu tool douglas handed him a 4 year deal, otherwise he would be gone

Hackett is here for one reason to placate rodgers not becasue he is any good.

The rest of the possee? all will be gone.  Because they all sucked horribly.

18 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Rodgers hasn’t done anything wrong besides get hurt.

I don't blame Rodgers at all.

I blame the Jets organization for giving it to him.

Last year was, quite possibly,  one of the worst off seasons in league history...

Certainly the worst I've ever seen from the Jets.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, varjet said:

The plan to me would be pretty simple.  Go for broke in 2024 with these clowns.  In 2025, we trade Garrett and Breece and load up on draft picks.  Pick OL this year that can play awhile.   Our QB in 2025 is Brett Rypien and we tank for a QB in the 2026 draft.

This is likely the way it will play out.  And it's horrible.  Doesn't have to be this way.  Didn't have to be this way.

It was far more important for the Jets to make a splash on back pages and ESPN than it was to make smart football decisions. 

It’s really odd how Rodgers has got less and less popular when basically what happened is a miserable fail of a cut block lead to the turf taking his Achilles and he tried like hell to come back this season and was one week away.  I really don’t care about his opinions on other things.  

parts of the fanbase are like crazed fools seeking out reasons to be mad and they won 7 games and could have won 9 without the starting QB and the line being a hospital unit. 

what’s it going to be tomorrow? They don’t play in NY? 
Yeah but you could tell by Rodgers 4 plays that he's washed. Clear as day!

Costello is an idiot.  First let me apologize to all legitimate idiots.  It’s not your fault you were born that way, however the NY Post hired this idiot with full disclosure to write articles.

i am celebrating the the demise of written print.  Brian Costello is a joke.  Clicking on his articles is borderline harassment of people with special needs.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I think that is total bs.

Guys like Garett Wilson and Breece hall and Conklin still played well dspite the QBing.

Lazard got deactivated, cobb caught like 5 passes despite being a full time starter half the year.

Hackett stinks under nay metric, boyle does not belong in the leauge, turner was so bad that jag street FAs were starting in place of him.

We dumped cook becasue he was just bad.

All total bs, if you are good player you play well if you are a bad player you play bad or get benched.

All of the hangers on from last year?  Lazard will be here ONLY becaseu tool douglas handed him a 4 year deal, otherwise he would be gone

Hackett is here for one reason to placate rodgers not becasue he is any good.

The rest of the possee? all will be gone.  Because they all sucked horribly.

OK - you're totally right SMH. If you don't think Lazard, Cook and Cobb would have been WAY better with Arod I don't know what to tell you - maybe watch HOF caliber QBs a bit more. Great players don't have drop offs, good to average players ABSOLUTELY do. Not only do I not buy much of what you said, I don't think our Oline has nearly the amount of injuries with Arod in there. He keeps teams from stacking the box on most every play, thereby reducing pileups and injuries. 

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

Happens all the time.

Lol

I know you're joking but nfl Teams really don't go from a thirteen year playoff drought to super bowl champions the next year 

It takes years of building a program the Jets haven't built sh*t 

20 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I know you're joking but nfl Teams really don't go from a thirteen year playoff drought to super bowl champions the next year 

It takes years of building a program the Jets haven't built sh*t 

Detroit Lions if they would kick the occasional field goal.

10 hours ago, Hael said:

Tampa Bay went from a perennial loser to a superbowl winner in a single year.  Ditto with the Rams/Stafford and Denver/Manning.  In each case, the qb transformed bad to midling offenses into elite units.  

People underestimate just how big the gap is between garbage tier qbs like Wilson and simply NFL average.  

Damn I went Detroit but the bucs that was the answer. Good job.

On 2/2/2024 at 8:40 PM, Beerfish said:

I disagree, the eye test was very concerning, he looked lost and froze in the reg season game before he got hurt.

It’s going to be fun to see at what point you come around on the 2024 season.

For mostly everyone here, it will be by September. But you, I’m thinking of you make it past Halloween you’d be able to hold out until the playoffs.

2 hours ago, NYJCAP2 said:

It’s going to be fun to see at what point you come around on the 2024 season.

For mostly everyone here, it will be by September. But you, I’m thinking of you make it past Halloween you’d be able to hold out until the playoffs.

"Come around" Well we will see who we sing in FA, who we cut and who we draft, and any chances to the coaching staff.

I've lost confidence in Douglas totally after last year.