What should they do with their pick???

I have been reading a lot of the NFL mock drafts and a lot of analysts have the Jets either making the pick or trading it. They currently have the #10 pick in the 2024 draft, currently they have 5 total picks, but they are getting 3 7th round compensatory picks which gives them a total of 8 picks in the 2024 draft. 

The Jets could end up drafting an offensive lineman, a wide receiver and here's a long shot a quarterback. Both a, Olineman and a WR are of need at the moment meanwhile the QB could sit and learn from Rodgers. The problem isn't who to draft really, the problem is the Jets will get offers for their pick at #10, if they trade that pick they will move down the draft board and could also receive a 2nd round pick as compensation. The Jets can still draft the olineman that they wanted if they move down the board. The other thing that could also happen is the Jets stay at that position and see if any of the top QBs fall to them or draft an olineman or WR to compliment Garret Wilson.

The Jets have needs to fill to actually compete in the 2025 season. They can address most of their needs through free agency and the draft. Right now, the GM Joe Douglas and head coach Saleh and the rest of the coaching staff are dead men walking. The time is ticking for them now and they know they have to get this right and making the playoffs is a necessity. 

What should the Jets do with their #10 pick? (Besides drafting either a olineman or WR)

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, AL047 said:

I have been reading a lot of the NFL mock drafts and a lot of analysts have the Jets either making the pick or trading it. They currently have the #10 pick in the 2024 draft, currently they have 5 total picks, but they are getting 3 7th round compensatory picks which gives them a total of 8 picks in the 2024 draft. 

The Jets could end up drafting an offensive lineman, a wide receiver and here's a long shot a quarterback. Both a, Olineman and a WR are of need at the moment meanwhile the QB could sit and learn from Rodgers. The problem isn't who to draft really, the problem is the Jets will get offers for their pick at #10, if they trade that pick they will move down the draft board and could also receive a 2nd round pick as compensation. The Jets can still draft the olineman that they wanted if they move down the board. The other thing that could also happen is the Jets stay at that position and see if any of the top QBs fall to them or draft an olineman or WR to compliment Garret Wilson.

The Jets have needs to fill to actually compete in the 2025 season. They can address most of their needs through free agency and the draft. Right now, the GM Joe Douglas and head coach Saleh and the rest of the coaching staff are dead men walking. The time is ticking for them now and they know they have to get this right and making the playoffs is a necessity. 

What should the Jets do with their #10 pick? (Besides drafting either a olineman or WR)

I’d like to think they could move it, still get a good O lineman and then recoup our second around pick. But, Joe Douglas is incapable of picking solid O lineman so it probably doesn’t matter what he does. 

• Upvote 3

If Joe Alt or Olu Fashanu are there draft one of those top OT's

If not do not shy away from a weapon player if a WR falls to 10 or if Bowers is there.

Only trade down if a good offer is on the board, at 10 I am not sure if there will be any player teams will want to go up and get.  (I'm assuming the top 3 QBs are off the board)

I fully expect the Jets to take the 3rd OT off the board with some really good weapons in the board.  After the to two OTs there is a bunch of OT's to choose from but they will talk themselves into the 3rd best OT being way better than the next guy.

• Upvote 4

In last year’s draft, if you missed the elite OT (Broderick Jones), it was a long way down. 

In the mocks I have seen or done, one of Fashanu and Fuaga is available at 10, but if you trade down they can both be gone by 15.  That is a tough one.  There are good WR prospects available in round 2.  

If we trade a 2025 pick we will regret it, because it could a high one. 

The right call for the Jets was to trade their 2023 first round pick for Rodgers.  JD should have known it was a crappy draft.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If Joe Alt or Olu Fashanu are there draft one of those top OT's

If not do not shy away from a weapon player if a WR falls to 10 or if Bowers is there.

Only trade down if a good offer is on the board, at 10 I am not sure if there will be any player teams will want to go up and get.  (I'm assuming the top 3 QBs are off the board)

I fully expect the Jets to take the 3rd OT off the board with some really good weapons in the board.  After the to two OTs there is a bunch of OT's to choose from but they will talk themselves into the 3rd best OT being way better than the next guy.

This is the Becton draft all over again.  Andrew Thomas at 4, Wills at 10, Becton at 11, Wirfs at 13, CD Lamb at 17, Justin Jefferson at 22.  

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, varjet said:

This is the Becton draft all over again.  Andrew Thomas at 4, Wills at 10, Becton at 11, Wirfs at 13, CD Lamb at 17, Justin Jefferson at 22.  

The QBs this year are really good, but will they be like the QBs of 2020?

Joe Burrow - 1

Tua Tagovailoa - 5

Justin Herbert - 6

Jordan Love 26

Jalen Hurts 53

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, varjet said:

Nah I think Nabers and Odunze go earlier teams are seeing what the likes of guys like Lamb and Jefferson bring.

In a reality the Jets are not trading up for Daniels.  So I’d trade back in the 1st recoup a 2nd and with that 2nd grab the WR from Texas Adoni Mitchell.  Big speed guy who can out physical guys for the ball has great body control.  He is the exact opposite of Wilson.

9 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I’d like to think they could move it, still get a good O lineman and then recoup our second around pick. But, Joe Douglas is incapable of picking solid O lineman so it probably doesn’t matter what he does. 

Avt not solid?  Tipp not solid?  Even becton when you consider when he was picked?  And it’s possible that Mitchell and Warren improve as they gain experience and finally get the oline set.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 1

9 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Avt not solid?  Tipp not solid?  Even becton when you consider when he was picked?  And it’s possible that Mitchell and Warren improve as they gain experience and finally get the oline set.

AVT has probably missed more games than  he played. Becton is baby poop soft. Then count the draft resources he used to get them. Don’t forget the picks he moved up to Take AVT. I don’t want possible, by year 4 we should be getting results. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

I've said this for as long... as I can think back to me really scouting players and caring about the Draft more than the average fan.

Trading back always sounds easy. People make it sound like there's 5 teams every 1st round pick we have that are trying to trade for our pick and how dare our GM not accept it bc obviously it's a deal we'd look like winners in. And that's not how it works. It takes 2 to tango. For starters the team trying to trade up has to love a certain player being we're drafting at 10. For example let say a team really likes Bowers and he falls to us. A deal "could" happen. But a deal for us trading our 10th pick for a trade back wouldn't happen until we're on the clock likely. A team is trading now to get to 10 for a certain player and that guy isn't there come draft day. And next to the biggest part. We have to get good value for that pick. We're a win now team. Getting future draft assets really doesn't help us at all. Only way I'm good with a trade back is if we just slightly trade back and can acquire a 2nd rounder since we don't have one.

But for me I prefer the option of this to acquire a 2nd rounder. Tag and trade Huff for a 2nd with us sending the other team one of our 4ths.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I've said this for as long... as I can think back to me really scouting players and caring about the Draft more than the average fan.

Trading back always sounds easy. People make it sound like there's 5 teams every 1st round pick we have that are trying to trade for our pick and how dare our GM not accept it bc obviously it's a deal we'd look like winners in. And that's not how it works. It takes 2 to tango. For starters the team trying to trade up has to love a certain player being we're drafting at 10. For example let say a team really likes Bowers and he falls to us. A deal "could" happen. But a deal for us trading our 10th pick for a trade back wouldn't happen until we're on the clock likely. A team is trading now to get to 10 for a certain player and that guy isn't there come draft day. And next to the biggest part. We have to get good value for that pick. We're a win now team. Getting future draft assets really doesn't help us at all. Only way I'm good with a trade back is if we just slightly trade back and can acquire a 2nd rounder since we don't have one.

But for me I prefer the option of this to acquire a 2nd rounder. Tag and trade Huff for a 2nd with us sending the other team one of our 4ths.

Trading back depends a lot on the quality of players around when the jets pick.  In this draft i think there will be good interest in the jets’ pick at 10.  I think if the jets want to trade back, they’ll have several dance partners. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, AL047 said:

I have been reading a lot of the NFL mock drafts and a lot of analysts have the Jets either making the pick or trading it.

Is there another choice? I have the Jets either making the pick or trading it as well.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, AL047 said:

"The Jets can still draft the olineman that they wanted if they move down the board."

I'm not so sure. They will def. be taking a risk on missing out on 'their' guy. For example, if they really like Fuaga, and he ends up being a riser as draft day approaches (kills the combine, kills interviews, etc.), they Jets might trade down a few spots and lose an opportunity to draft him. Then there is the potential for one of Alt or Fashanu to slide to them at 10. They will be missing out on that chance as well. Of course, they may not pull the trigger on the deal until both guys are off the board, but I'm just saying, big risk of losing out on an olineman they want if they trade down. 

"What should the Jets do with their #10 pick? (Besides drafting either a olineman or WR"

This is an impossible question to answer without knowing who is on the board and what kind of trade package is available to you to trade down (or up???). However, let's assume a few things: 1. the Jets are not looking to trade up and lose more draft capital. 2. The Jets do not want to trade TOO far down or they will lose out on a quality o-lineman who they clearly need to plug in immediately (at least pre-FA). So I would not expect huge compensation in a trade down scenario. 3. The Jets will NOT be looking to draft a QB and if by some chance a top 3 guy falls to them, they will use him as trade bait. 4. MHJ will be off the board. 

So, what should the Jets do? Besides drafting an o-lineman or a WR? Nothing. They should stand pat and draft an O-lineman. They shouldn't even be looking at a WR this early unless their interest in Fuaga is all smoke. Take Fuaga or if they are lucky enough to have one of the top 2 LTs fall, take one of them. 

For arguments sake, lets say that a QB falls to them at 10 and the Vikings come calling to move up from ONE spot to snag him. YES, of course I make that trade. Its a no brainer. Even if all I am getting in the deal is an extra third rounder. Lets say Denver makes that move. Same thing. Denver is sitting at 12. I move down a couple of spots. No problem. But if NO comes calling at 14, I already start to hesitate because my guy Fuaga could very well be snatched up by that time. 

So again. The point is. The Jets MUST get their OT in this draft. Its a MUST. It's one thing to miss out on the top two LTs because they go top 9. But they can't miss out on him because they traded down too far. So I stand pat. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

They should take the best QB on the board.  

They won't but they should.

If you fire Saleh and Douglas now, sure!

BUT, IMO, it makes no sense to spend another premium draft pick on a QB while Douglas and Saleh are lame ducks.

14 hours ago, Larz said:

Can we wait for free agency and the combine first or

This, pretty much.  Not necessarily that we can't discuss the draft but there's really no way to know for sure what direction we'll take in the draft before seeing who we sign.  Like if we sign two expensive(ish) OTs, that probably rules out OT at 10.  If we sign Calvin Ridley, that probably rules out WR.  Only guy I'd say we could still draft no matter what we do in free agency is Bowers. 

• Upvote 2

I am just hoping that we have done enough in free agency so that we will not be forced to reach for a tackle at 10.  If the top OTs are off the board by 10, then hopefully we can pivot to a receiver.

• Upvote 2

If a legit QB prospect is there, they should (stress should) take them.  But they will not.

So with that off the table, either stand pat and draft BAP at WR/O-line, or trade down to recoup a few 2nd and 3rd round picks, then draft BAP WR/O-line as much as possible.

I don't think the needs side is a huge ? at this point, but FA will effect what JD thinks he will need.  Knowing JD I won't be shocked if he signs a few old man O-linemen and WR's, then reaches on some D-line or LB prospect at #10 overall.  

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Why?

Because when the new regime shows up in early 2025, they aren't committed to developing the QB Joe Douglas drafted. Most GMs/coaches want to pick their own QB. You want the coach and GM committed to building around and developing the QB. 

• Upvote 1

Further to this what do we have to spend our 8 picks on position wise?   (Douglas likes to trade around so we probably won't end up with 8 picks when all is said and done but for this let's assume 8 picks)

Offensive line:  2 picks, we for sure need a tackle and I also want a guard in the draft.  No I do not want a tackle and then say oh we can move him to guard and no I do not want a center and say oh we can move or Tippman to guard, screw that.  Draft a true wide body, short armed bull of a guard who will not get run over by DTs and can move people in the run game.

Wide Receivers:  2 picks,  Douglas has screwed up in the past by drafting one WR and then saying' we good!  in deep wr drafts.  You never find good wrs who are revelations mid to late draft ala Diggs, Nakua, Antonio Brown if you never use picks on them.

Running Back:  1 pick, After dumping Cook and Carter we need another RB,  I'd like a big power north south back to compliment Hall ad Abanikanda

Quarter Back:  1 pick, We need to pick a young developmental guy somewhere in the draft as our 3 QB.  I've said for years you #3 QB should always be a developmental guy, not some jag like Boyle who has no upside.

Defensive Tackle: 1 pick, We need some young cheap interior dline, perrrion winfrey may help next year but I'd like to see us draft a large run stopper DT somewhere, a  down cheap plug of a player.

Linebacker: 1 pick,  No I do not want the Jets annual try and find the next Fred Warner small off the ball linebacker, every year they are picking guys they try to shoehorn into that position.  I want a guy with a bit more size who makes tackles.  An easy replacement for the vastly over priced mosley at some point in time.

• Sympathy 1