Rex - Cowboy's DC?

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:
3 minutes ago, jmat321 said:
I always felt Woody would re-hire him at some point

Would he be an improvement over Saleh though? I'm not so sure.

Anyone would be an upgrade over Saleh. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'd like to see Rex back in the league.   Always thought he was overall an overrated head coach for the jets for a few reasons mind you.  I'd e happy if he was the Dallas DC.

Not sure he was over rated, he just got in a position where the GM was selling out at the expense of the future. When the team aged and the contracts became issues, the team fell apart. Would have worked out and he'd have gotten a bit more time if Sanchez would have developed into the franchise QB we had hoped we drafted.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Not sure he was over rated, he just got in a position where the GM was selling out at the expense of the future. When the team aged and the contracts became issues, the team fell apart. Would have worked out and he'd have gotten a bit more time if Sanchez would have developed into the franchise QB we had hoped we drafted.

The bolded happened because our drafting collapsed when he became HC. Too many Kyle Wilsons and Quinton Coples under his watch -- dedicated all our resources to defense and when we picked offense we took his "hand picked fullback."

I do agree that if Sanchez was any good he probably wins a Super Bowl here and is successful enough that he goes down as the best Jets HC of the modern era by a landslide.

• Upvote 2

Two AFC championship game appearances verses empty pep talks, stair running and an abysmal losing record? FREE REX!!!
Look at the team Rex inherited from Mangini and then look at the team Saleh inherited from Gase.
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, extmenace said:

He was an excellent defensive coach and a great motivator.   His fault was like his father almost a disdain for offense and he was part of the reason  they had Sanchez and road him.  He would do things in cam,p to crush the offense and be proud of it when it actually hurt the team.

The two playoff teams actually underachieved a bit in the reg season and lost games we should not have won and thus had to go the full number of games and road playoff route which is tough.

He inherited a solid win now team from Mangini and a solid vet QB should have been the answer at that time, not a mistake laden rookie like Sanchez.

5 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The bolded happened because our drafting collapsed when he became HC. Too many Kyle Wilsons and Quinton Coples under his watch -- dedicated all our resources to defense and when we picked offense we took his "hand picked fullback."

I do agree that if Sanchez was any good he probably wins a Super Bowl here and is successful enough that he goes down as the best Jets HC of the modern era by a landslide.

Don’t forgot about Calvin Pryor. Rex was so giddy about him that he came up with the “Louisville Slugger” nickname. Yikes.  

• Upvote 2

Oh, he’d rot that team from the inside. His divisiveness would be an immediate detriment there… after all the hoopla and trash talk, and the defense gets worse… maybe by week 4.

Couldn’t happen to a better team. 

8 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
13 minutes ago, The Crusher said:
Two AFC championship game appearances verses empty pep talks, stair running and an abysmal losing record? FREE REX!!!

Look at the team Rex inherited from Mangini and then look at the team Saleh inherited from Gase.

If it’s just the sane I’d rather focus  on success rather than the reason for absolute and rural failure. Obviously you are not wrong. But until Saleh has a winning season I’m convinced he likely won’t here. 

great opportunity for Rex. if he gets the DC job he could talk Jerry into giving him the HC job whenever they get rid of McCarthy. i just hope for Rex that Dak is still there. i would love to see a top defensive HC like Rex and Saleh with what they could do with a top QB.

3 hours ago, extmenace said:

They always started drafting like complete garbage. I don’t think there was a team in NFL who drafted worse than the jets from 2010 on. Not many HCs will do well when you have a complete garbage gm who misses lot more than hits on draft picks. 

On 2/8/2024 at 1:21 AM, Jetsplayer21 said:

They always started drafting like complete garbage. I don’t think there was a team in NFL who drafted worse than the jets from 2010 on. Not many HCs will do well when you have a complete garbage gm who misses lot more than hits on draft picks. 

We drafted like complete garbage because we hired John Idzik, Mike Macagnan and JD and Woody has been meddling way too much

On 2/7/2024 at 3:29 PM, bicketybam said:
On 2/7/2024 at 3:27 PM, jmat321 said:
I always felt Woody would re-hire him at some point

Would he be an improvement over Saleh though? I'm not so sure.

The two years Rex had a good roster they went deep into the post season.  Salah had pretty good rosters and sh!ts the bed.  Rex's bad years = Saleh's good years.    

• Upvote 1

was a great DC and our most productive head coach -he is so much better than Saleh as both a head coach and as a defensive coach

the Dallas D has talent Rex would be a great fit for them

only issue is Rex might end up punching the hc  or oc  like his father did during 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, viffer said:

Great DC, not so great HC.

He's like every other great defensive-background head coach. If he had a top tier QB he would have some rings. (Belichick, Dungy, Tomlin, Carroll) 

Once that top QB play goes away, all of a sudden the coaches start missing the playoffs or get bounced in the wild card.

4 minutes ago, kmnj said:

was a great DC and our most productive head coach -he is so much better than Saleh as both a head coach and as a defensive coach

the Dallas D has talent Rex would be a great fit for them

only issue is Rex might end up punching the hc  or oc  like his father did during 

I wouldn't want Rex Ryan back as our head coach but I'd rather him than Robert Saleh by a mile.