Newsy podcast interview with Connor Hughes. Disgusting free agent targets, organizational delusions, and brutal Zach Wilson hammering

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

—Hughes says he “heard” the Jets are going to target Marquez Valdes Scantling in free agency. Parkinson says he heard (at the senior bowl) the Jets will also target James Brewer of the Titans, who is a 6’1, 274 lb center who gave up six sacks last year. True dumpster diving. 

Its actually Aaron Brewer.... but JFC, I'M bigger than that guy.

Brewer’s speed and athleticism appeared more effective in the Titans’ zone-scheme run game than in pass blocking last season.

He earned a 62.6 grade from Pro Football Focus for his run-blocking. But Brewer surrendered six sacks, the second-highest figure on the team, despite the fact he was on the field for 262 pass-block snaps – far fewer than the regular starters. The sacks and pressures allowed were the primary reasons PFF gave Brewer a 48.7 pass-blocking grade in 2021.

🙃

• Haha 4

One of the most concerning names for me is Calvin Ridley.  

He has the type of issues that could crop up in an instant and cost him a year without actually being injured.

We are going to massively over pay  for him.

The placate Rodgers moves from last year made things so much tougher for this team.

I hope Douglas at least drafts a few good players this draft because next year is setting itself up for a huge disappointment and starting all over with a house cleaning.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/turn-on-the-jets-new-york-jets/id1035386921?i=1000644517738

highlights:

—Saleh and co are very, very aware that they’re going to be fired if they’re not competing for a title next year.

—However, they also believe that Rodgers will fix 90% of their problems.

—Zach Wilson, at $5.5 million, has no market and will probably end up on a practice squad next year. The league knows that he’s talented, but makes everyone else worse around him. Interesting compare/contrast with Darnold.

—Hughes thinks Douglas will go big game hunting for receivers, but will have to settle for lesser lights because Higgins, Evans, Adams, etc probably won’t get to the open market.

—Hughes says he “heard” the Jets are going to target Marquez Valdes Scantling in free agency. Parkinson says he heard (at the senior bowl) the Jets will also target James Brewer of the Titans, who is a 6’1, 274 lb center who gave up six sacks last year. True dumpster diving. 

Actually I heard that rumor too, but it was actually Saleh looking to sign Jim Breuer to do some locker room vibe work.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

One of the most concerning names for me is Calvin Ridley.  

He has the type of issues that could crop up in an instant and cost him a year without actually being injured.

We are going to massively over pay  for him.

The placate Rodgers moves from last year made things so much tougher for this team.

I hope Douglas at least drafts a few good players this draft because next year is setting itself up for a huge disappointment and starting all over with a house cleaning.

Putting a player with acknowledged mental health issues onto the Jets - what could possibly go wrong?

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/turn-on-the-jets-new-york-jets/id1035386921?i=1000644517738

highlights:

—Saleh and co are very, very aware that they’re going to be fired if they’re not competing for a title next year.

—Zach Wilson, at $5.5 million, has no market and will probably end up on a practice squad next year. The league knows that he’s talented, but makes everyone else worse around him. Interesting compare/contrast with Darnold.

—Hughes thinks Douglas will go big game hunting for receivers, but will have to settle for lesser lights because Higgins, Evans, Adams, etc probably won’t get to the open market.

Saleh and jd are so dependent on rodgers now that they pretty much have to go around saying he’s going to fix most of the issues on offense.  There was no real plan B last year and this year they don’t have a 2nd round pick.  

Also interesting that amidst all the rumors, there’s nothing about a backup qb.  Even if rodgers plays well this year, he’s going to miss games.  It can’t be taken for granted that the jets can sign a decent veteran qb to back up rodgers.  Do they really expect Simien to be able to win games next year?  Are they willing to bank their jobs on that?  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Saleh and jd are so dependent on rodgers now that they pretty much have to go around saying he’s going to fix most of the issues on offense.  There was no real plan B last year and this year they don’t have a 2nd round pick.  

Also interesting that amidst all the rumors, there’s nothing about a backup qb.  Even if rodgers plays well this year, he’s going to miss games.  It can’t be taken for granted that the jets can sign a decent veteran qb to back up rodgers.  Do they really expect Simien to be able to win games next year?  Are they willing to bank their jobs on that?  

I am sticking to my story.   The only plan that is affordable is to get a back up QB that can win 2/4 games that Rodgers misses.  If Rodgers misses more than that, the Jets and their front office is done.  Spending money on a backup only takes money we need for an AR8 OL and Wr, and defense.

Zach and Simian together won half their games.  Just do that. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, varjet said:

I am sticking to my story.   The only plan that is affordable is to get a back up QB that can win 2/4 games that Rodgers misses.  If Rodgers misses more than that, the Jets and their front office is done.  Spending money on a backup only takes money we need for an AR8 OL and Wr, and defense.

Zach and Simian together won half their games.  Just do that. 

At this point yes, they’re dependent not only on Rodgers playing at a high level but on his health as well.  Makes me wonder if they’re not even going to draft a qb on day 3, that to them it’s not worth it.  Though, if the season goes off the rails again, and why wouldn’t it, if douglas has drafted a guy like pratt and he comes in and looks good that could save his job.  

• Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

highlights:

Damn, and here I am thinking that I’m going to be realistic and hope to get a guy like Tyler Boyd or Curtis Samuel with an over market contract. MVS can’t do anything with Mahomes, I’d be furious if that’s the #2 next season. We have enough 25-35 catch guys.

• Upvote 1

I think the thing is, regarding the oline, is those pff grades are somewhat shaky.  Just how is Greg van roten one of the top rated free agent guards?  He wasn’t that good as a jet.  It’s all about the players that are next to them and how well the oline holds together through the season.  As for this titans center, maybe Rodgers prefers a shorter center.  Tipp is 6-6 and probably blocks the qb view a bit.

Siemian won't be QB2 next year. Zero chance.
  • Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

LOL

Doesn’t matter to him.  At the end of the day, he gets to go home to an awesome wife and 15 kids.

Salads has had all the urgency of an octogenarian behind the wheel (driving 15 mph on open roads) as the L’s have continued to mount.

• Haha 1

—However, they also believe that Rodgers will fix 90% of their problems

The hubris and lazy conceit are unbelievable.

Will Rodgers also be on the headset telling the clueless head coach how to manage the clock and timeouts when the other team has the ball?

• Upvote 1

—Hughes says he “heard” the Jets are going to target Marquez Valdes Scantling in free agency

🤮 

Just fire Joe Douglas already and name Rodgers the GM.

Put an end to all this BS.

Douglas at the press conference:  “we think he’s been sort of typecast as a one-trick pony.  We know we can get the most out of him, develop his route tree, etc.  He can be an elite #2 option for us.”

15 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Siemian won't be QB2 next year. Zero chance.

Any decent backup qb is going to cost money, given all the injuries last year.  This doesn’t yet seem to be factored into free agency.

9 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The hubris and lazy conceit are unbelievable.

Will Rodgers also be on the headset telling the clueless head coach how to manage the clock and timeouts when the other team has the ball?

I think it’s more denial.  They have no other choice but to believe in the great pumpkin at this point. 

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

At this point yes, they’re dependent not only on Rodgers playing at a high level but on his health as well.  Makes me wonder if they’re not even going to draft a qb on day 3, that to them it’s not worth it.  Though, if the season goes off the rails again, and why wouldn’t it, if douglas has drafted a guy like pratt and he comes in and looks good that could save his job.  

Good point but when dealing with this regime you always have to assume they will make the worst move possible.

So likely no drafted QB at all

2 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Good point but when dealing with this regime you always have to assume they will make the worst move possible.

So likely no drafted QB at all

If they don’t acquire any more day 2 picks i can’t see them investing one of those top 2 picks on a qb.  But if they trade back or deal huff or do something else, and get a 2nd rounder or another 3rd rounder, yes, i can see them possibly taking a qb in rounds 2 or 3. And i think if they do, that guy is going to play meaningful games this season. 

• Upvote 1

highlights:

can someone please point me to the last thing that Hughes broke regarding the jets? i mean appreciate his funny tweets mid game, and madden updates, but who gives a flying **** what he thinks? none of them have any insider info...they are worse then half the people here.

• Sympathy 1