The wheels sure feel like they have come off

Just now, Phillyjet said:

JD, in a contract year, loses his top two lieutenants before the draft.  Hmmm. There is no way to read this but a sign of an organizational change coming. Unless there is an extension coming for JD and he brings in a new front office team, you can smell the blood in the water.  Would be very hard to bring in top personnel guys without an extension. Same for Saleh.  This feels like a one and done year, and "clean house" at the end of the year.  Would not be surprised if Woody makes a move on the GM after the draft, with the coaching change during of after the season.

Internally the feeling is probably one of a lame duck year, where guys know rodgers has to play lights out to save everyone’s butts.  

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Well run organizations don't allow a gm and hc to work as lame ducks 

This is true, though Douglas and Saleh both have two years left on their deals.

Anyway...they are still lame ducks to all extents and purposes.  They win this year, or they are gone - and everyone knows it.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I have read that the Pittsburgh Steelers are the gold standard for NFL franchises.  I have also read that Mike Tomlin is in the final year of his contract.  Discuss.

The team is literally working on a tomlin extension as we speak 

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Well run organizations don't allow a gm and hc to work as lame ducks 

They aren’t lame ducks, they have two years left on their contracts. Normally extensions occur when going into their final season.

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Joe Douglas signed a 6 year deal before the 2019 season 

19, 20, 21, 22 and 23 is 5 seasons 

This is his last year under contract 

Saleh had a 5 year deal starting with 20 so they are both entering the last year of their contracts 

If I had to guess, JD’s “6 year deal” is really 5.75 years and terminates at the end of the 2024 season, like Saleh’s.  JD’s contract started late (after the 2019 draft).

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Saleh had a 5 year deal starting with 20 so they are both entering the last year of their contracts 

You’re right but the 23 season, league year, hasn’t started yet so these guys are both under contract for two more seasons.

• WTF? 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Phillyjet said:

JD, in a contract year, loses his top two lieutenants before the draft.  Hmmm. There is no way to read this but a sign of an organizational change coming. Unless there is an extension coming for JD and he brings in a new front office team, you can smell the blood in the water.  Would be very hard to bring in top personnel guys without an extension. Same for Saleh.  This feels like a one and done year, and "clean house" at the end of the year.  Would not be surprised if Woody makes a move on the GM after the draft, with the coaching change during of after the season.

This is a clear lame duck year for Saleh, JD and the entire front office and coaching staff.

i.e. Make a run with Rodgers, or the house gets cleaned top to bottom.

Frankly, the JD/Saleh regime is likely only getting this lame duck year because of Rodgers.  Take him out of the equation, and his massive salary/cap hit, and I think both JD and Saleh would already have been fired and the house cleaned this offseason instead.

Rodgers was always first and foremost a "save JD's regime" move, I said it at the time, and I'm even more confident in that now.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Saleh was hired in 2021, and his deal was 5 years.

Douglas, I believe, got a 6 and a half year deal in the middle of 2019, so his deal should expire at the same time as Saleh's after the 2025 season.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This is a clear lame duck year for Saleh, JD and the entire front office and coaching staff.

i.e. Make a run with Rodgers, or the house gets cleaned top to bottom.

Frankly, the JD/Saleh regime is likely only getting this lame duck year because of Rodgers.  Take him out of the equation, and his massive salary/cap hit, and I think both JD and Saleh would already have been fired and the house cleaned this offseason instead.

Rodgers was always first and foremost a "save JD's regime" move, I said it at the time, and I'm even more confident in that now.

The problem is that even if rodgers plays reasonably well and stays healthy for 12-13 games, this isn’t sustainable.  They still need a new qb.  So what can jd actually prove this year, if he doesn’t draft a qb at all?  That he can draft a tackle?  And what can saleh actually prove, that if he has a healthy qb who doesn’t suck he can win more games?  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Saleh was hired in 2021, and his deal was 5 years.

Douglas, I believe, got a 6 and a half year deal in the middle of 2019, so his deal should expire at the same time as Saleh's after the 2025 season.

It’s very Jets for no one really to know what these guys actually do or how long their contracts actually are. 

• Haha 1

Saleh and Douglas will not be fired this off season.

Woody is part of the three Amigos that are all in on Rodgers.

All of them, like a part of our fan base truly believe all this team needs is Rodgers to play next year and we are good.

What will happen, things go on with more side personnel leaving or being poached.

The Jets will get off to a poor start and Saleh will get canned.

Douglass will get canned at the end of the year.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Saleh and Douglas will not be fired this off season.

Woody is part of the three Amigos that are all in on Rodgers.

All of them, like a part of our fan base truly believe all this team needs is Rodgers to play next year and we are good.

What will happen, things go on with more side personnel leaving or being poached.

The Jets will get off to a poor start and Saleh will get canned.

Douglass will get canned at the end of the year.

If rodgers either gets hurt or sucks and they start losing the vultures will be circling early October.  They have all their picks in 2025 so far and presumably the OL won’t be a mess for the next regime. 

4 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

They aren’t lame ducks, they have two years left on their contracts. Normally extensions occur when going into their final season.

I don't believe that is factually inaccurate.  I believe both contracts currently end prior to the 2025 season.

The specific end dates may bleed a little into the 2025 league year (starts in Mar. 2025) , but does not go thru to Sept. or beyond into the 2025 season.  

• Upvote 1

7 wins with the leagues historically worst offense, beat the bills and eagles and gave the chiefs a scare. 

let Rodgers cook and try to keep it together with all the pearl clutching and being fake mad 

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Trotter said:

It’s funny right?

two guys leave who have been part of the sh- t show for years and the sky is falling

so they sucked as members of the jets but now are critical components that left

beyond my intelligence 

Nothing wrong with some new voices… one door closes…

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The problem is that even if rodgers plays reasonably well and stays healthy for 12-13 games, this isn’t sustainable.  They still need a new qb.  So what can jd actually prove this year, if he doesn’t draft a qb at all?  That he can draft a tackle?  And what can saleh actually prove, that if he has a healthy qb who doesn’t suck he can win more games?  

Don't disagree at all, but that isn't (I believe) how Woody is looking at it.  Woody wants to win, now, with Rodgers.

If JD and Saleh can do that, I think it buys them both extensions, and a 2nd shot at drafting a QB, and likely 2-3 more seasons to "try again" if you will.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Internally the feeling is probably one of a lame duck year, where guys know rodgers has to play lights out to save everyone’s butts.  

It would be criminal for woody to have advisors ignore the fact how bad JD has been simply because Rodgers has maybe 1 more good year left in him. It would be like calling the Nathaniel Hackett the best Offensive coordinator in NFL history simply because he was the OC for QB who won back to back MVPs late in his career.

Rodgers can still be here while JD is not. If rodgers does have a good yr, they are not going to change his coaches before he finally retires. But the gm exit has nothing to do with Aaron. A new gm almost definitely improves the team now, but more importantly starts to make better draft choices to build for both during and post Aaron rodgers. 

• Post of the Week 1

In June of 2020, he had completed the first year of his contract.

June 2019-June 2020 1st year
June 2020-June 2021 2nd year
June 2021-June 2022 3rd year
June 2022-June 2023 4th year
June 2023-June 2024 5th year
June 2024-June 2025 6th year
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1