SB came down to this

57 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

For us, it's more like: 

Do you have a top 30 QB in the league? No? Then f*** you.

LOL

The best roster in the league, with a great offensive coach and a good young quarterback can’t beat Mahomes.

I’m not even sure what we’re playing for anymore - maybe we’ve got a shot when Mahomes gets his Bernard Pollard year. 

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

LOL

The best roster in the league, with a great offensive coach and a good young quarterback can’t beat Mahomes.

I’m not even sure what we’re playing for anymore - maybe we’ve got a shot when Mahomes gets his Bernard Pollard year. 

@bonkertons

See this here.

It’s all Mahomes period.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Yep, always been like that. Yet, San Fran taking ball first in overtime was a head scratcher. Like playing 3 card poker but dealing 4 to your opponent. Stupid. 

I think the logic was to not put the pressure on Purdy to have to answer Mahomes. 

And btw for a second year QB Purdy, on the biggest stage possible, actually played pretty well and so did the Niners. Chiefs just played better. Great game, tight enough where every small mistake made such a huge difference. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

LOL

This. Niners held them to 19 for the whole game and Purdy completed 60%, didn't turn the ball over, and hung 19 on the second best scoring defense in the league under the brightest of lights. 

Plenty of guys that would have MVP's and rings if it wasn't for Michael Jordan. Sometimes the guy is just better than everyone else and that's it.

• Upvote 2

Just now, bonkertons said:

I don't think you even know what you're arguing anymore.  No one is arguing against how good Mahomes is.  You're arguing that his weapons are irrelevant, which is obviously hyperbole.  

They are irrelevant.

No Kelce would have been no problem.

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Yes but if Shanahan stuck with the run I think 49ers would have won. Kyle Shanahan as great of a coach as he is apparently gets into his own head during the Super Bowl.

Great point. I think that’s spot on. Always trying to out think himself.

Oh boy, lol.  Apparently half of the niners team did not know the overtime rules for the super bowl and it had not been discussed with them leading up to the game wheres the chiefs went over it a number of times.

Not a good look Shanny.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Purdy played great against a great defense.

It came down to the Chiefs D stopping the 49ers on 3rd and 4 after the 2 minute warning.

Purdy is still young he isn’t anywhere near the veterans who can change protections when he sees the blitz coming to get himself that extra half second to hit the hot route.  I think he will get it one day.

Kid has balls of steel willing to stand in there knowing he is gonna get mauled and still delivers the ball without fear.

Chris Jones saved the game by forcing him to over throw Deebo on that bull rush but he still took that hit and almost delivered.

This was actually a blown blocking assignment by the backup RG who came into replace Feliciano.

Jennings was open for a TD there.

44 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

LOL

The Chiefs had the better HC, the better offensive HC and a much better DC.  Switch coaching staffs and I think the 49ers win that game by at least 10.  Shanahan got very tight in the second half and the SF D lost containment.

Shanahan is a very good HC.  He's not in the same class as Reid and Spags is a terrific big game DC.

44 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

LOL

Hence the new uniforms. If we can’t win, might as well look good losing.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Fire Saleh and replace him with Spags?  Sounds like a good plan to me!

Spags wasn't a very good HC.  He got his chance with the Rams for 3 years.  He still would probably be better than Saleh.

• Upvote 1

What I noticed about Reid and Spags is the half time adjustments... I mean they seem to start slow and then wham.

esp. Spags... he was lights out and had a nice game play for niners.   Reid is a offensive genius and created some nice playes + you ahve a QB that is heads and above better then the competition. 

My 2 cents -- what really lost them the game were key screwups. They dominated the 1st half but were only up one score at halftime. Once it was close in the 4th Q advantage goes to Mahomes, one of the greatest ever.

1) The kicked/muffed punt completely changed the game. Was like a two play momentum shift that totally changed the complexion of the game.

2) The McCaffery fumble on the first drive was a huge play. When they were running Shanny's scripted drives they moved the ball well but didn't capitalize. If they to up 14-0 in the first half I'm not sure they ever look back.

3) Extension of 2  -- they also had a few drives killed by penalties in the first half. Moving the ball well, then boom, holding followed by false start and the drive stalls.

4) The missed XP was also obviously a critical screw up.

5) Purdy played well but missed some open guys in the first half.

Long story short -- should have been up huge in first half but were only up by one score because they got in their own way and failed to capitalize. Then in the second half had a handful of absolutely brutal mistakes that changed the game.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Purdy had a solid game against a very good KC defense.  He didn't wilt under the pressure.

The San Francisco defense lost the game.  Two chances to win the game with a lead at the end of the 4th and overtime, and they failed to make a stop both times.

the missed extra point was a big deal and so was the loss of the ball near their own end zone that lead to an easy td by the chiefs.  the sf special teams lost the game.  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The Chiefs had the better HC, the better offensive HC and a much better DC.  Switch coaching staffs and I think the 49ers win that game by at least 10.  Shanahan got very tight in the second half and the SF D lost containment.

Shanahan is a very good HC.  He's not in the same class as Reid and Spags is a terrific big game DC.

Yea we just disagree on this. Both coaches schemed up nice offensive concepts and plays, but Mahomes just routinely makes pressure plays - even if it's 5-yard throws or scrambles. Purdy is a good quarterback, but he cannot carry a team or a game.

Purdy had several slightly off throws that bounced off hands or overthrows on deep plays. Mahomes had one bad INT and then was lights-out the rest of the game. 

If Purdy was on the Chiefs, I think they're a wildcard team at best, maybe not even in the show. If the 49ers had Mahomes, I don't think they lose a game this year.

When you play against Mahomes, you have to be perfect, and no defense can sustain that.

Reid is a damn good coach, but we've seen him coach other quarterbacks in his Kyle Shanahan-esque era of "can't win the big one". 

8 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Pass protection and offensive scheme. Purdy had open recievers all day. The 9ers OL couldn't  handle the KC pass rush. They also didn't  adjust to the pass rush calling plays like screens and quick passes. 

It came down to Purdy vs. Mahomes. Simple as that. Mahomes is simply a better, more talented QB with way bigger playmaking ability. He took his team down the field and punched it in while the niners could only muster a FG. When you boil it down - THAT is what made the difference.  

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

Yup. Baldy released this today 

Wow, it’s the same busted o-line assignment from the OT play to Jennings.

Good find. Just goes to show it’s not because Shannahan didn't “run the ball”.

I wonder who was in charge of line protection calls? Coordinators? Purdy? Center? It cost them greatly this game.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Yep, always been like that. Yet, San Fran taking ball first in overtime was a head scratcher. Like playing 3 card poker but dealing 4 to your opponent. Stupid. 

I get the logic of "if we trade TDs, I want the first crack at sudden death," but it falls apart if the other team goes for two, which apparently was Reid's plan if that's how things played out.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, PepPep said:

It came down to Purdy vs. Mahomes. Simple as that. Mahomes is simply a better, more talented QB with way bigger playmaking ability. He took his team down the field and punched it in while the niners could only muster a FG. When you boil it down - THAT is what made the difference.  

If you really want to k own what made the difference in that sense, Moody makes the PA, their is no OT. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I get the logic of "if we trade TDs, I want the first crack at sudden death," but it falls apart if the other team goes for two, which apparently was Reid's plan if that's how things played out.

Also falls apart if you settle for a field goal. As it certainly did. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

LOL

I thought the same thing when I watched Mahomes do what everyone felt was coming last night.

As crazy as it sounds I’d rather play a player like him in the playoffs rounds than the Super Bowl though.

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It would be very interesting to see Purdy in a situation where he doesn't have outstanding weapons everywhere (like he currently does).  I would definitely have the concern you raised if I was a 49ers fan.

The commentary around Purdy is bizarre. He’s in his second season lol. “Gonna be wild when they have to give him a contract.” Uhh can we get there first? His numbers over his first 21 starts are as good as anyone’s in league history basically. I’ve never seen a QB who’s played so good so hated on for no reason. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Pass protection and offensive scheme. Purdy had open recievers all day. The 9ers OL couldn't  handle the KC pass rush. They also didn't  adjust to the pass rush calling plays like screens and quick passes. 

Thought this was gonna be a Hardman thread.

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

There are always a number of plays called in games that can turn the tide.  My vote is still the innocuous one not talked about much.  The blocked PAT, turning it from a 4 point game into a 3 point game.

Also as someone else mentioned, you have one Saleh like defense that never blitzes and one that blitzes creatively when they really need a stop.

With the corners the Jets have they should be blitzing WAY more than they do.

saleh is a f*ckin assclown

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I simply cannot believe that a board that is sucking off Mike ******* Vrabel is on Shanahan like this.  I would kill to have him as our coach.  He gets into his own head in the super bowl?  Like he chokes?  They scored on their last three drives and took the lead each ******* time.

YesLetTheHateFlowThroughYou.JPG.63ff6b24f47f414aceb4836de34c2b62.JPG

8 hours ago, The Crusher said:

the overtime system in the NFL is so screwed. it should be this easy.....1 extra quarter and whoever is winning at the end of it is the winner. they are trying way too hard to preserve some facet of the stupid sudden death system. regular season...if its tied at the end of the 5th quarter then its a tie game. in playoffs. add a shortened 6th quarter if there's no winner. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The commentary around Purdy is bizarre. He’s in his second season lol. “Gonna be wild when they have to give him a contract.” Uhh can we get there first? His numbers over his first 21 starts are as good as anyone’s in league history basically. I’ve never seen a QB who’s played so good so hated on for no reason. 

He set the 49ers' record for passing yards in a season but does anybody really believe he's better than Joe Montana and/or Steve Young?  A large part of those stats are just how the game has changed over the years.  He's done a very nice job though.  He deserves no hate.  He just doesn't deserve "star" accolades at this point.  He's in an very enviable situation in all ways (supporting cast and CS).  

Screenshot2023-12-31153255.png.db0ebb584fb04e15d7aee3fc23232e83.png

14 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He set the 49ers' record for passing yards in a season but does anybody really believe he's better than Joe Montana and/or Steve Young?  A large part of those stats are just how the game has changed over the years.  He's done a very nice job though.  He deserves no hate.  He just doesn't deserve "star" accolades at this point.  He's invery enviable situation in all ways (supporting cast and CS).  

Screenshot2023-12-31153255.png.db0ebb584fb04e15d7aee3fc23232e83.png

Purdy is on track to be great. He does everything well. If people want to consider him a star it’s deserved. Not sure what else he can do. He’s been basically perfect in the regular season and likely would have been to back to back SB’s if he hadn’t gotten a fluke injury. 

5 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

When you play against Mahomes, you have to be perfect, and no defense can sustain that.

Bosa had an almost perfect game.  Unfortunately the one bad play was a 4th down misread that lead to the Mahomes 1st down scramble.  67/68 but that one play he wasn't perfect it lead to an eventual score.