Jets need two offensive tackles and starting guard. Where we going to get them?

I think we can all agree that the Jets are taking an offensive tackle in the first round of the draft, and I'm sure the Jets want to protect Rodgers blind side with a starting left tackle.  How about the right tackle, and guard?   I would love to put Warren at the right tackle position, but he needs to stay healthy, and prove he is good enough to start.  And we need competition for that spot anyway.  Brown is history, and Becton is now a free agent, whom I doubt we will resign.  Max Mitchell took a turn for the worse at tackle this past year in my opinion.

Our Vera Tucker is always getting injured, and who knows if Tomlinson will be coming back or not.  Not to mention the constant injuries we seem to have every year.

We have 5 draft picks as of now, and unless we get one or two linemen in free agency, we will need to draft 3 offensive linemen with our 5 draft picks.  

What say you?

I think what the Jets will do is

- Put AVT at RG. I think they will conclude RG is his best position

- Keep Laken. I think they will conclude part of his struggles has been the instability at LT

- Tippmann is ready to be the starting center

- They won’t go into the draft with two question marks at tackle

LT FA: A stop gap. Maybe Donovan Smith

LG Laken

C Tippmann

RG AVT

RT Draft: Taliese Fuaga Oregon St

Bench: Warren, McGovern, Schweitzer, Mid Round OT Draft Pick

This what I’m expecting.

• Upvote 3
  • Ugh 1

4 hours ago, GreenFish said:

I think what the Jets will do is

- Put AVT at RG. I think they will conclude RG is his best position

- Keep Laken. I think they will conclude part of his struggles has been the instability at LT

- Tippmann is ready to be the starting center

- They won’t go into the draft with two question marks at tackle

LT FA: A stop gap. Maybe Donovan Smith

LG Laken

C Tippmann

RG AVT

RT Draft: Taliese Fuaga Oregon St

Bench: Warren, McGovern, Schweitzer, Mid Round OT Draft Pick

This what I’m expecting.

Keeping Laken would be a huge mistake.

Paid like a top guard, plays like bottom guard and he’s clearly on the decline.

I think it was jetsxfactor that summarized Donovan Smith’s advanced stats and they were not good .. even if his sacks weren’t high (Mahomes effect).  9 penalties showed he struggled.  Was he the one who mugged JJ?

in any event, we need to do better.  JD knows his job is on the line… no more excuses

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Alka said:

I think we can all agree that the Jets are taking an offensive tackle in the first round of the draft, and I'm sure the Jets want to protect Rodgers blind side with a starting left tackle.  How about the right tackle, and guard?   I would love to put Warren at the right tackle position, but he needs to stay healthy, and prove he is good enough to start.  And we need competition for that spot anyway.  Brown is history, and Becton is now a free agent, whom I doubt we will resign.  Max Mitchell took a turn for the worse at tackle this past year in my opinion.

Our Vera Tucker is always getting injured, and who knows if Tomlinson will be coming back or not.  Not to mention the constant injuries we seem to have every year.

We have 5 draft picks as of now, and unless we get one or two linemen in free agency, we will need to draft 3 offensive linemen with our 5 draft picks.  

What say you?

Its not rocket science. The Jets will draft a plug and play RT and sign a vet LT and G in FA (assuming Tomlinson is cut). 

I don't think Alt of Fashanu will fall to the Jets at 10. So their only shot will be a RT in the draft like Fuaga or Latham. Which I'm fine with. Even if they took Mims, these are all plug and play RT prospects. Mims is more raw but he should hold his own in the NFL on talent alone. 

LT in FA will be tough but they can get a decent vet starting caliber LT like Alaric Jackson if they do a full court press. JD can't mess this one up. Getting a LT in FA should be priority #1.

There are a lot of solid vet Guards in FA. I'm not that concerned about the Jets being able to fill that void left by Tomlinson. And they can probably upgrade substantially at the position.   

There you go. Like I said. It's not rocket science. Whether or not JD can actually free up enough cap space, lure the right FAs and hit on the draft pick is a completely different question. 

56 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

My guess on what will happen here

Jets will sign no fewer that 2 OTs and no fewer than 2 Gs prior to the draft.

Jets will pick 1 OT and 1 G in the draft

AR will get murdered by game 3

I think doing this and:

• Biting the bullet on Tomlinson.
  • Locking Mitchell in the weight room.
  • Praying for AVT's recovery
  • Picking G round 4 or below

Is the plan.

I just think Gs can be found in lower rounds.  I would rather find a S, LB, DT or WR in round 3.  

• Upvote 1

I know everybody hates him, but I really don't know what to make of Tomlinson.  He hasn't been worth the price and I don't stare at the line all day, but I just don't know.  While he hasn't been great, there have been times that the running game has carried this team and he has been a big part of that.  When Hall went on his tear in 2022, Tomlinson was right there, front and center.  If they keep him around, I certainly hope they get some money back out of him.  I just don't know that they want to go into things needing three starters.  Besides, PFF hates him.  That should count for something.

40 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think doing this and:

• Biting the bullet on Tomlinson.
  • Locking Mitchell in the weight room.
  • Praying for AVT's recovery
  • Picking G round 4 or below

Is the plan.

I just think Gs can be found in lower rounds.  I would rather find a S, LB, DT or WR in round 3.  

I think the Jets will face the reality that as bad as Tomlinson is he is already signed and cant sign with anyone else

its not like good driven FA Gs are knocking on the Jets door

and I think good chance Becton is one of the 2 OT signed before draft

14 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I think the Jets will face the reality that as bad as Tomlinson is he is already signed and cant sign with anyone else

its not like good driven FA Gs are knocking on the Jets door

and I think good chance Becton is one of the 2 OT signed before draft

Maybe.  

Tomlinson needs to give money back.  He can get back in incentives (Pff, Pro Bowl, etc)

We can be Becton’s backstop prove it deal. 

• Upvote 1

I want Becton gone way more than Tomlinson.  If I am playing the comp pick game, I would rather pray that somebody that loves potential will gamble on Becton and use that money on another tackle.  The way he faded down the stretch seemed like lack of effort and focus.  Kind of things that make me recoil and say "do not want."  In favor of bringing him back, our psycho QB seems like he thinks he can unlock that potential and with the injuries and his size, maybe fading down the stretch was inevitable. 

On 2/16/2024 at 11:47 AM, GreenFish said:

This would be great. I think we will be disappointed though. I’m not expecting anything earth shattering. 

It has to be  This is it. Window i s closing. Especially this coming year for JD and Saleh. JD cannot afford to go at it in a half azz manner. No more Zach. Thats done. He will get a backup QB. He will refine the OL.  Trent Brown makes the most sense. Veteran, reliable, good pass blocker and stable. Excaltly what they need on this line. Cant see going with a rookie at LT. Too risky. Cut laken. He is a mush.  Zeiter makes most sense.  RT will be the 1st round draft pick.  It'd be wiser to take teh best pass blocking RT they can get. IMO thats Guyton from Oaklahoma and JD cantrade back and get a 2nd rounder.  WIth the 2nd, take DT Sweat - 345 mammoth monster to plug in middle. We got run on badly again last year. They need a NT to secure the DL. And they cant wait later in the draft becuse there arent any like Sweat.  OL - LT Trent Brown, G Zeiter, C Tippman, G AVT, RT Guyton.  Drafting a guard in round 4 - Zac Minter Michigan. Round 4 WR Malik Washington. Back up QB Garappolo or Tanehill. I'd be fine with either.  Round 3 pick seems like an enigma to be.  Maybe a saftey, a TE? Wiley from TCU to replace Uzamoh.

• Upvote 1

Why do we need any of this?  I thought the problem was ZW.  Now that he's going to be traded (released?), AR8 should be able to step in and be dominant within the structure of this past year's offense.  I'm expecting at least 10 TD receptions for the punt returner that ZW had as his WR2 last year.  And AR8 should be fine behind our makeshift OL because good QBs don't need any help.  And AR8 is a HOF'er compared to ZW, who is the WOAT.

• Post of the Week 1

19 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I know everybody hates him, but I really don't know what to make of Tomlinson.  He hasn't been worth the price and I don't stare at the line all day, but I just don't know.  While he hasn't been great, there have been times that the running game has carried this team and he has been a big part of that.  When Hall went on his tear in 2022, Tomlinson was right there, front and center.  If they keep him around, I certainly hope they get some money back out of him.  I just don't know that they want to go into things needing three starters.  Besides, PFF hates him.  That should count for something.

Tomlinson has not been as bad a signing as it’s been made out to be. He has been durable but I think he has been affected by the injuries and instability of the line. I envision him as our LG next season. Hopefully with a healthier and more stable line he will be better.

• WTF? 1

40 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Trent Brown makes the most sense. Veteran, reliable, good pass blocker and stable. Excaltly what they need on this line.

Cant see going with a rookie at LT.

Besides being injury prone the last few years I’m not sure that he is a good scheme fit with the zone blocking style we are “trying” to play. Although teams are mixing in and out between zone schemes based on plays, drives, and the D that they’re playing I just can’t see him being the signing.

On 2/16/2024 at 11:32 AM, Rich Thornburgh said:

Sign Trent Brown and Kevin Zeitler.  Draft Fashuanu 

i think thats pretty close.  jetsX is advocating for tyrone smith and james hurst as free agents and then draft fuaga.  that would give an oline of smith-hurst-tipp-avt-fuaga.  not so bad, imo.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Why do we need any of this?  I thought the problem was ZW.  Now that he's going to be traded (released?), AR8 should be able to step in and be dominant within the structure of this past year's offense.  I'm expecting at least 10 TD receptions for the punt returner that ZW had as his WR2 last year.  And AR8 should be fine behind our makeshift OL because good QBs don't need any help.  And AR8 is a HOF'er compared to ZW, who is the WOAT.

This was the narrative I was subjected to all season last year. 

Any upgrade to the line should guarantee the team at least 12 wins .. I mean the worst QB of all time was able to win a few and you are supplanting him with one of the best to play.

• Post of the Week 1

I think Rodgers quick reads and release, combined with his blitz recognition will make the line much better to begin with.  Having said that, Brown, Becton and Tomlinson need to go because they stink.  If Becton wants to come back as a backup tackle, that would be the limit.

They have enough money invested in these three bums to replace them with quality, not star, replacements.  Get your offensive lineman in free agency.  If one of the top 2 tackles falls, grab him.  If not, draft a dangerous #2 receiver or Bowers at TE if he falls.  Add one more elite weapon to Garrett and Breece and Rodgers will score lots of points.   

• Upvote 1

On 2/16/2024 at 10:28 AM, Alka said:

What say you?

Well there are a lot of players available in FA and the Draft in our areas of need. For once we need to get lucky and have our guys stay healthy. It should not be that hard to get 4 players and also have decent depth on the OL. I think our depth at WR is good for both the 5th and 6th spots so ST is covered . If we can get  2 guards and 2 Tackles (one T in draft 1 T via FA) we should be just fine. WR we should get a really good number 2 with what is available. Once again we really need to stay healthy on the OL that will be the Key to a long run in the playoffs or winning the Division outright.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Besides being injury prone the last few years I’m not sure that he is a good scheme fit with the zone blocking style we are “trying” to play. Although teams are mixing in and out between zone schemes based on plays, drives, and the D that they’re playing I just can’t see him being the signing.

ok - suggestions?

15 hours ago, rangerous said:

i think thats pretty close.  jetsX is advocating for tyrone smith and james hurst as free agents and then draft fuaga.  that would give an oline of smith-hurst-tipp-avt-fuaga.  not so bad, imo.

No stay away from Tyron Smith he’s old injury prone and will be way overpriced in the market.  I’d literally rather resign Becton on a one year prove it deal

15 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Our offensive line is immediately upgraded with a healthy Aaron Rodgers, or any QB not named Zach Wilson. If you have a good LT with league average play at guard, center and RT, you magically have a good OL with any kind of competent QB play. Our first pick is crucial. 

Well said. 

• Upvote 1