Super Bowl III … “FIXED” … Says Bubba Smith

Kreigel talks about it in his biography of Namath. 

the flea flicker is pretty dubious, Morrall ignores the open guy and throws a pick. 

He threw 2 more red zone picks.  

Namath was tight with the bookies and it’s theorized that is why he made the guarantee, he knew what was up. 

• Upvote 4

There is that story from Henry Hill's book where he says he saw Namath a week before the Super Bowl and Namath told him to "bet the house!" I doubt a mobster is someone you'd want to roll the dice with that kind of statement. But I choose to ignore this fallacy and proclaim ultimate legitimacy to our one and only Super Bowl....and I'll do you one better.

If ours was fixed....then they're all fixed.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

He made that claim in the 1970s. Shula laughed it off as ridiculous. However because of the love of self loathing around here, a thread is started on this moronic topic.

In fairness, we live in a time where a goodly portion of the population thinks almost everything is a conspiracy theory of some kind and everything around them is "fixed" by someone somehow.  So I'm not sure it's all self-loathing. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

In fairness, we live in a time where a goodly portion of the population thinks almost everything is a conspiracy theory of some kind and everything around them is "fixed" by someone somehow.  So I'm not sure it's all self-loathing. 

Bubba Smith made these claims in the early 1980s to promote his book. Don Shula when asked about it said Smith was just promoting a book and did not want to address it because it so ridiculous . 
Yes it is self loathing because these claims were laid almost 50 years ago. It’s not todays news.

14 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

There have been too many games played for one not to have been fixed.

Steelers vs Seahawks, refs gave that one away.

Steelers vs Cowboys.   2nd hand stuff, but Neil was supposed to be a big gambler, and he threw 2 of the worst ints you will ever see.

26 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

He made that claim in the 1970s. Shula laughed it off as ridiculous. However because of the love of self loathing around here, a thread is started on this moronic topic.

Exactly!! 

• Upvote 1

The Jets OL completely manhandled the Colts D-line including Smith.  The line was terrific but Winston Hill was clearly dominating them.   The Colts were favored in large part because their D was the best D in the league in 68.  The Jets were a huge dog because the public had thought that the NFL was much better than the AFL.  The Jets had the better over all team in 68.  It wasn't known because it was pre-established that the AFL was an inferior league based on the previous 2 years.  Had Maynard been healthy it would have been a huge mismatch in favor of the Jets.

The public was confussed because the Packers who had won 3 straight NFL championships which included the first 2 SB were such a dominate team.  They were miles ahead of both leagues.  A true dynasty team.  They had an amazing roster and QB along with an innovative HC who was also a master motivator.   They were simply better than anyone in both leagues.

The Chiefs proved the Jets win wasn't a fluke when they destroyed a dominate NFL championship team the Vikings 23-7 in the next SB.  

By the end of the first 4 SB it was 2 each.  There is no freaking way the Colts are a huge favorite without the Packers setting expectations. 

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Jets can’t even get credit for that without allegations of impropriety, lol …

29 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Jets can’t even get credit for that without allegations of impropriety, lol …

So he's saying Earl Morral threw the game? Or what is he saying? Makes zero sense. Coltes were in teh red zone 5 times - no points. And how is that anyone's fault other than the Colts.  Were there holdingpenalties not called? Pass interference not called? He's not making any valid arguments here.  And to say the NFL had the fix in to merge the 2 teams is absurd. It was ALREADY merged.  This was Super Bowl III.  Sooner or later an AFL team would have won the Super Bowl.  The chiefs won it the next year. So I guess that was 'fixed' as well.  Perhaps the '69 Mets WS win was fixed since it was vs. and equally dominant team in the Orioles.  He's a big guy but they should have stood up and told him he was full of poop. Never saw this. He was a great player.  This just totally blemished his character.  Boooo whoooo. 

I remember hearing this a couple times over the years.  I wouldn't be surprised if it makes a comeback though and you start seeing it everywhere, since we're in the age of conspiracy theories.  

Hell, some people thought this most recent Super Bowl was rigged.  I saw a video of some guy saying that punt hitting off a Niners player's leg was "scripted", as if you could ever ******* script that.  People are brain broken.  I think they've always been, to a degree, but the age of tiktok has really shined a light on it. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Maynard13 said:

So he's saying Earl Morral threw the game? Or what is he saying? Makes zero sense. Coltes were in teh red zone 5 times - no points. And how is that anyone's fault other than the Colts.  Were there holdingpenalties not called? Pass interference not called? He's not making any valid arguments here.  And to say the NFL had the fix in to merge the 2 teams is absurd. It was ALREADY merged.  This was Super Bowl III.  Sooner or later an AFL team would have won the Super Bowl.  The chiefs won it the next year. So I guess that was 'fixed' as well.  Perhaps the '69 Mets WS win was fixed since it was vs. and equally dominant team in the Orioles.  He's a big guy but they should have stood up and told him he was full of poop. Never saw this. He was a great player.  This just totally blemished his character.  Boooo whoooo. 

They should have asked him why he was dominated in the game by the Jets OL. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The Chiefs proved the Jets win wasn't a fluke when they destroyed a dominate NFL championship team the Vikings 23-7 in the next SB.  

By the end of the first 4 SB it was 2 each.  There is no freaking way the Colts are a huge favorite without the Packers setting expectations. 

The Chiefs win was huge, because it proved Super Bowl 3 wasn't a fluke.  The Chiefs offense was light years ahead of what the Vikings were running.

The best the NFL could argue was it was 2 ex NFL teams in SB 5.

13 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The Jets OL completely manhandled the Colts D-line including Smith.  The line was terrific but Winston Hill was clearly dominating them.   The Colts were favored in large part because their D was the best D in the league in 68.  The Jets were a huge dog because the public had thought that the NFL was much better than the AFL.  The Jets had the better over all team in 68.  It wasn't known because it was pre-established that the AFL was an inferior league based on the previous 2 years.  Had Maynard been healthy it would have been a huge mismatch in favor of the Jets.

The public was confussed because the Packers who had won 3 straight NFL championships which included the first 2 SB were such a dominate team.  They were miles ahead of both leagues.  A true dynasty team.  They had an amazing roster and QB along with an innovative HC who was also a master motivator.   They were simply better than anyone in both leagues.

For the supposed fix; how do you explain away Unitas coming in late in the game and coming kinda close? Wasn't a blowout. 

One thing the Kreigel book made a big point about; Namath and Unitas were both old school Penn. guys with a lot of pride, and they liked and respected each other. Throwing a game like that wasn't who they were. And the NFL wanted to win that game. Was a chance if the Jets had been blown out the merger was going to be cancelled. 

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

The Chiefs win was huge, because it proved Super Bowl 3 wasn't a fluke.  The Chiefs offense was light years ahead of what the Vikings were running.

The best the NFL could argue was it was 2 ex NFL teams in SB 5.

The Jets loss in the AFL championship game to the Cheifs  was amazingly close.  The Jets had arguably a better team than the Vikings team that represented the NFL in SB 4.   The AFL Chiefs, Raiders and Chiefs were arguably the 3 best teams in football in the 69 season.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Bugg said:

For the supposed fix; how do you explain away Unitas coming in late in the game and coming kinda close? Wasn't a blowout. 

One thing the Kreigel book made a big point about; Namath and Unitas were both old school Penn. guys with a lot of pride, and they liked and respected each other. Throwing a game like that wasn't who they were. And the NFL wanted to win that game. Was a chance if the Jets had been blown out the merger was going to be cancelled. 

It was 16-Zip when he came in. TheColts scored a TD with about 3 minutes and change left.  They recovered an onside kick at the Jets 44 and turned it over on downs.  Game over.  It really wasn't a very close game.  Unitas threw an INT in the Jets End Zone.  The Colts had a lot of turnovers but the Jets pretty methodically controlled the clock and the scoreboard.  

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Not for nothing, but I was at the game before the superbowl, which was the AFC Championship game against the Raiders, who was a great team in their own right.  That game was very hard fought, and the Jets beat them with great play from Namath, and the defense.  In fact, I believe that had the Jets lost to the Raiders, the Raiders would have beaten the Colts that year in the superbowl. 

I mean, the offense of the Raiders had Daryle Lamonica as QB, and great offensive line with All pro players like JimOtto, Gene Upshaw and Harry Shuh.  Not to mention all pro Fred Biletnikoff and all pro tight end Billy Cannon.  Their defense had great players like George Atkinson, Willie Brown, , free safety Dave Grayson, and linebacker Gus Otto, who were all all pro players. They had big 6'8" all pro Ben Davidson on the defensive end.

Not too shabby, and that game was in my opinion tougher for the Jets than the Superbowl.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alka said:

Not for nothing, but I was at the game before the superbowl, which was the AFC Championship game against the Raiders, who was a great team in their own right.  That game was very hard fought, and the Jets beat them with great play from Namath, and the defense.  In fact, I believe that had the Jets lost to the Raiders, the Raiders would have beaten the Colts that year in the superbowl. 

I mean, the offense of the Raiders had Daryle Lamonica as QB, and great offensive line with All pro players like JimOtto, Gene Upshaw and Harry Shuh.  Not to mention all pro Fred Biletnikoff and all pro tight end Billy Cannon.  Their defense had great players like George Atkinson, Willie Brown, , free safety Dave Grayson, and linebacker Gus Otto, who were all all pro players. They had big 6'8" all pro Ben Davidson on the defensive end.

Not too shabby, and that game was in my opinion tougher for the Jets than the Superbowl.

Spot on!  The Chiefs and the Raiders were loaded teams.  Not as good as the 66 or 67 Packers but as good as any other team in football.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Unitas never would have thrown the game.

The only one who could have was Earl.

For the record. I don't think he did.  If Shula had any inkling about it, he never would have brought him to Miami

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

There is that story from Henry Hill's book where he says he saw Namath a week before the Super Bowl and Namath told him to "bet the house!" I doubt a mobster is someone you'd want to roll the dice with that kind of statement. But I choose to ignore this fallacy and proclaim ultimate legitimacy to our one and only Super Bowl....and I'll do you one better.

If ours was fixed....then they're all fixed.

Henry Hill lied about the sky being blue. Its just nonsense to get engagement, sell books. 

I do believe this happens to some extent but there are much better conspiracies

36 minutes ago, Biggs said:

It was 16-Zip when he came in. TheColts scored a TD with about 3 minutes and change left.  They recovered an onside kick at the Jets 44 and turned it over on downs.  Game over.  It really wasn't a very close game.  Unitas threw an INT in the Jets End Zone.  The Colts had a lot of turnovers but the Jets pretty methodically controlled the clock and the scoreboard.  

The Jets defense dominated that entire game. So much so, that Namathe didnt even throw a pass in the 4th quarter.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

- Patriots win SB on the back of "tuck rule" after the attacks on 9/11

- Saints win the SB after Hurricane Katrina

- Patriots inprobable win SB vs Falcons (28-3 game) after Atlanta abandons the run. Shortly after, Shanahan accepts the 49ers job and Jimmy G gets sent for a 2nd round pick. Patriots reportedly turned down a 1st round pick from Browns.

- NFL is listed as an Entertainment Company

I love me a good conspiracy theory lol but there are too many moving pieces to most of them that require people to keep their lips sealed.