Connor Hughes Interview

I hate to say this but I thought this was a pretty good interview with Connor Hughes.  He wasn't an obnoxious a hole for once (which is a rare exception) so I was able to get through it.  (EDIT: he's still a smug a hole but it's easier to get through the interview if you only listen, rather than view it)

I listened to this yesterday but here are a few things that stood out:

-He said the Jets didn't sign a QB when AR8 went down because they felt it would destroy ZW's confidence.  In other words the "coddling" theory.

-Joe Douglas is a highly respected guy around the league and will definitely get another job if the Jets fire him. (not necessarily a GM job but he mentioned a team like the Ravens or Eagles would want him back).

-He's very interested to see what JD's offseason strategy will be.  He feels JD is a hardcore "stick to the principles I believe in" GM (who doesn't go crazy in FA) but obviously he's on a very hot seat.

-Chad Alexander (one of JD's 2 closest assistants, who left for SD) is a very highly respected guy around the league and he expects him to keep ascending in the league.

-Ulbrich is another highly respected guy who (I think he said) will be a HC somewhere.

-He said he doesn't think ZW will command much in a trade (maybe ZW and a 6th for a 5th.  Something like that).  He said he's not sure if ZW will even be on a roster next year.  He could end up on a PS.  

-He spoke to some people and he heard that Bryce Huff will get offered $12-$14M a year.  He said if that really ends up being the case, the Jets will figure out a way to keep him.

-If Corey Davis decides to un-retire, the Jets would welcome him back with open arms.  He said they absolutely love him. 

• Upvote 4
  • Ugh 1

35 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I hate to say this but I thought this was a pretty good interview with Connor Hughes.  He wasn't an obnoxious a hole for once (which is a rare exception) so I was able to get through it.  (EDIT: he's still a smug a hole but it's easier to get through the interview if you only listen, rather than view it)

-He said the Jets didn't sign a QB when AR8 went down because they felt it would destroy ZW's confidence.  In other words the "coddling" theory.

-Joe Douglas is a highly respected guy around the league and will definitely get another job if the Jets fire him. (not necessarily a GM job but he mentioned a team like the Ravens or Eagles would want him back).

-He's very interested to see what JD's offseason strategy will be.  He feels JD is a hardcore "stick the principles I believe in" GM but obviously he's on a very hot seat.

-Chad Alexander (one of JD's 2 closest assistants, who left for SD) is a very highly respected guy around the league and he expects him to keep ascending in the league.

-Ulbrich is another highly respected guy who (I think he said) will be a HC somewhere.

-He said he doesn't think ZW will command much in a trade (maybe ZW and a 6th for a 5th.  Something like that).  He said he's not sure if ZW will even be on a roster next year.  He could end up on a PS.  

-He spoke to some people and he heard that Bryce Huff will get offered $12-$14M a year.  He said if that really ends up being the case, the Jets will figure out a way to keep him.

-If Corey Davis decides to un-retire, the Jets would welcome him back with open arms.  He said they absolutely love him. 

@bitonti wager?

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, section314 said:

So bringing in a vet after AR went down when Zach was in a redshirt year would kill his confidence, but benching him 4 times in the last 2 years didn’t? Got it.😁

Again, this doesn’t make sense. They babied  Zach year 1 and year 2 too. Regardless of Lefleur coaching him hard, he would still get overrode from people above. Was Saleh fighting with Douglas about Mike White after the Pats game? Remember that long ass meeting they had? Come on. We’ve never seen Douglas be that hard-lined with anything.  it just feels like it’s Woody. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Again, this doesn’t make sense. They babied  Zach year 1 and year 2 too. Regardless of Lefleur coaching him hard, he would still get overrode from people above. Was Saleh fighting with Douglas about Mike White after the Pats game? Remember that long ass meeting they had? Come on. We’ve never seen Douglas be that hard-lined with anything.  it just feels like it’s Woody. 

so who wanted to go to Mike White earlier ? JD or Saleh ?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

-He's very interested to see what JD's offseason strategy will be.  He feels JD is a hardcore "stick to the principles I believe in" GM (who doesn't go crazy in FA) but obviously he's on a very hot seat.

They loved Davis so much they brought in Lazard to take over the #2 WR spot.  You do not pay a #3 wr 44 million over 4 years.

They stabbed Davis in the back becasue Rodgers wanted his buddies.

If that was Douglas's reason for not betting a viable backup he should be unemployed right now.

LOL  Douglas, stick to GM principles, which he tossed all away in his panic move for Aaron Rodgers.

Douglas gets a lot of love for utter failure so far and tossing away an early solid rebuild for a 40 year old hope and wish.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

They loved Davis so much they brought in Lazard to take over the #2 WR spot.  You do not pay a #3 wr 44 million over 4 years.

If that was Douglas's reason for not betting a viable backup he should be unemployed right now.

LOL  Douglas, stick to GM principles, which he tossed all away in his panic move for Aaron Rodgers.

Douglas gets a lot of love for utter failure so far and tossing away an early solid rebuild for a 40 year old hope and wish.

Davis could not stay healthy and he played terrible . if you expected Lazzard to play well and be the number 2 WR that made total sense based on what Davis brought to the table.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Davis could not stay healthy and he played terrible . if you expected Lazzard to play well and be the number 2 WR that made total sense based on what Davis brought to the table.

"Jets loved Davis" so you did not love him but the jets did it seems according got that article.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

So bringing in a vet after AR went down when Zach was in a redshirt year would kill his confidence, but benching him 4 times in the last 2 years didn’t? Got it.😁

Clown show gonna clown show

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NYJCAP2 said:

@bitonti wager?

What's the time frame? 

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

so who wanted to go to Mike White earlier ? JD or Saleh ?

From what was read, Saleh was getting a lot of pressure from the locker room to get White in there sooner. Recall that Saleh had to sit for a three hour meeting with Douglas and Woody before making the switch, which delayed a press conference after the Pats humiliation 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Plen T said:

0 chance Zach is not on a roster 

you really believe this shill?

I agree that ZW will be on a roster.  I still think he can turn his career around.  I was just summarizing what Connor Hughes said.

• Haha 1

I agree that ZW will be on a roster.  I still think he can turn his career around.  I was just summarizing what Connor Hughes said.
Several teams rostered 3 QB's so it would need to be one of them. No way is QB2 on any team this coming year.
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

because it wasnt Joe it was Woody. cant you see that?

there is no way Joe wanted Rodgers the only QB out of many available that would cost draft picks. 

all he needed in 2023 was to make the playoffs, but once you got Rodgers there were SB expectations. why would JD want that pressure.?

Woody was the one who got Favre. he loves the big name QBs.

the biggest clue is that Saleh and JD should have been fired but there not. thats because Woody was heavily involved in the QB moves for this team. he cant fire them after he told them what to do.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
47 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Several teams rostered 3 QB's so it would need to be one of them. No way is QB2 on any team this coming year.

I think his contract will make his situation more difficult.  He's making a lot of money and is on the last year of his deal.   Even if a team thinks they can fix him, they'd have no incentive to pay him so much money only to have him potentially leave after next year.  

because it wasnt Joe it was Woody. cant you see that?
there is no way Joe wanted Rodgers the only QB out of many available that would cost draft picks. 
all he needed in 2023 was to make the playoffs, but once you got Rodgers there were SB expectations. why would JD want that pressure.?
Woody was the one who got Favre. he loves the big name QBs.
the biggest clue is that Saleh and JD should have been fired but there not. thats because Woody was heavily involved in the QB moves for this team. he cant fire them after he told them what to do.

lol what?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

9 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Well if Lazard is the alternatiive then, yes, of course.  One turd smells worse than another. Hooray.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I didn't watch the video, but based on the transcript, I could give the same information in an interview.

FTR...I have no sources.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think his contract will make his situation more difficult.  He's making a lot of money and is on the last year of his deal.   Even if a team thinks they can fix him, they'd have no incentive to pay him so much money only to have him potentially leave after next year.  

If Zach wants out he needs to take a big pay cut and maybe agree to a longer cheaper prove it deal with his new team.  Thee we what JD should be telling him.  If he does not agree and the Jets are going to pay him anyway, he can rot in NJ. 

I think if Davis wants to play he's an FA and can sign anywhere.  
Is he ? I thought he surprise retired ... Don't his rights go to the Jets if he unretires because of unaccrued performance ?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Is he ? I thought he surprise retired ... Don't his rights go to the Jets if he unretires because of unaccrued performance ?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I think the Jets put him on the reserve/retired list and retained his rights for last season.  That was the last year of his contract.  I don't think they retained his rights past last season.  He wasn't paid for last season and he was fully guaranteed 27 million which he earned.  The total value was 37.5 which included last years salary.  I think he's an FA.

• Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I think the Jets put him on the reserve/retired list and retained his rights for last season.  That was the last year of his contract.  I don't think they retained his rights past last season.  He wasn't paid for last season and he was fully guaranteed 27 million which he earned.  The total value was 37.5 which included last years salary.  I think he's an FA.

Not sure how it works, but doesn't it get pushed if he retires and comes back? Honestly have no idea. But if he DID want to come back to football I would be shocked if it wasn't with the Jets. 

11 hours ago, doitny said:

Hi fired Mangini after telling him what to do.  Mangini wanted to stick with Pennington, Woody forced the Favre move on him with the promise that he would not be fired if it didn't work out. Then it didn't work out, and Woody fired Mangini anyway.

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Don’t see how he would be a FA, he retired while under contract right? 

The Jets didn't pay him and retained his rights for last season.  The Jets also got relief for his cap hit last year.  The Jets didn't pay him and he didn't take any guaranteed money past the 2022 season.  

Technically he and the Jets fulfilled their contract obligations.  If he played last year the Jets were obligated to pay him 10.5 million he didn't play and the Jets didn't pay him.