Give me Joe alt or give me death

I feel like Joe Alt is going 5 to the Chargers. Very Harbaugh pick... And if he doesn't go there Giants seem like another likely landing spot if the QB stuff is smokescreen.

I'd be thrilled with him -- he's exactly what we need -- but getting that top 5 type pick went away when we beat the Commies.

I think there will still be a very good tackle prospect at 10 though -- be it Fuaga, Latham, or Fashanu.

• Upvote 1

Never understood falling in love with a draft prospect.  Half of the first round picks won’t have their option picked up and it’s very unlikely that the jets will take the player anyway 

• Post of the Week 1

Seen plenty of mocks lately that have him falling to #8 where the Jets trade up for him. The Giants going QB at 6 will be a huge help since that will push a WR to the Titans at 7, who are reportedly looking for playmakers over OL. The Chargers could go OL but they do already have a star OT in Slater - they could easily go WR and play the 'this is the best OL draft in history' game as they have an early pick in round 2.

The long and short of it is, it's possible. There has also NEVER not been a defensive player taken in the top 10 - so keep that in mind as we all mock QB/WR/OT to the entire top 10 in the draft. Somebody is taking Dallas Turner, at least

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Wit said:

I’m salivating at the possibility. I’m twisting the draft into pretzels to try and get this guy.

I understand loving what Alt brings, but there are other guys you can get who will be very good players for a long time.

And in all honesty, a trade down is the best way forward if Joe D. gets any offers.

• Upvote 1

I think the team who gets Tyler Guyton in the mid/high teens views itself as the winner of the draft.  Maybe Fuaga a little lower. 

Alt would be great.  If we did not trade away assets for AR8, I would trade up for him.  

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Seen plenty of mocks lately that have him falling to #8 where the Jets trade up for him. The Giants going QB at 6 will be a huge help since that will push a WR to the Titans at 7, who are reportedly looking for playmakers over OL. The Chargers could go OL but they do already have a star OT in Slater - they could easily go WR and play the 'this is the best OL draft in history' game as they have an early pick in round 2.

The long and short of it is, it's possible. There has also NEVER not been a defensive player taken in the top 10 - so keep that in mind as we all mock QB/WR/OT to the entire top 10 in the draft. Somebody is taking Dallas Turner, at least

Yes, the Falcons, IMO. I have had things set up this way for a long time and I think they will still play out this way. Obviously, I could be wrong. I probably WILL be wrong. It's JMHO. 

CHI- Caleb

WAS- Maye

NE- Daniels

ARI- MHJ

LAC- Alt

NYG- Nabers

TEN- Fashanu

ATL- Turner

CHI- Odunze

NYJ- Fuaga

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1

10 minutes ago, jetsons said:

That would be nice but as it looks now he's not going to be there at 10. .. unless the Chargers take Latham like Kiper has in his 2.0 version.

Alt is not a great fit for chargers. Why go that high and force a switch to the right?  Latham there is mel having a senior moment

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JetsFlyer said:

Alt is not a great fit for chargers. Why go that high and force a switch to the right?  Latham there is mel having a senior moment

I think teams are not concerned about playing a LT on the right side as long as they have a high quality T on their line. Much like (and probably because) so many teams have quality Edge rushers on BOTH sides. AND because swing T's are so valuable. RTs are getting paid  more and more. I think he is a good fit because the Chargers need to protect Herbert at all costs and they can just plug and play Alt on whichever side he feels most comfortable at and excels at as a rookie. I'm sure Slater will be a team player and move to the right side if he is asked to. Slater will have no problem playing dominant football on the right side. The Chargers are a win now team, I know Nabers and Bowers will be potential selections, but if they can't protect Herbert this season, they are toast. This should be their top priority.  

3 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Troy Fautanu an alternative?

Did you mean Olu Fashanu?  The similar names are definitely confusing but i think the consensus is Fashanu is on the same tier as Alt.  Close behind is Taliese Fuaga.  I see most mocks having Troy Fauntanu in the mid to late first round.

3 hours ago, Wit said:

I’m salivating at the possibility. I’m twisting the draft into pretzels to try and get this guy.

I'm with you.  IMHO, Alt is the best player in the draft.  Measurables, technical ability, durability and character.  All are there in buckets.  I did not jump on the bandwagon.  I got into the drivers seat and turned the key at the beginning of the college season.  I would not be surprised to see him go in the top three.  For sure in the top five.  This is a key football player that will be a foundation block for years to come. 

Sadly, unless JD trades away major draft capitol, we wont be seeing him in Jets green.

I expect to see Fuaga, Fashanu or possibly even Bowers go to the Jets at 10.  Most likely Fashanu due to Fuaga's tremendous combine.  He may very well go before Fashanu now. 

34 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Did you mean Olu Fashanu?  The similar names are definitely confusing but i think the consensus is Fashanu is on the same tier as Alt.  Close behind is Taliese Fuaga.  I see most mocks having Troy Fauntanu in the mid to late first round.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/olumuyiwa-fashanu/32004641-5321-5841-928a-eb3cf26b2462

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/troy-fautanu/32004641-5576-6320-9bff-99e263b92b33

Fautanu has better arm length, hand size, and had the better combine (including the drills). 

I thought the whole issue with him was "is a guard or a tackle?" And his measurements and athleticism seemingly all point towards tackle.

Fashanu got injured running the 40. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Draft a right tackle at 10?

I think he's a left. But I wouldn't mind a RT @ 10. I don't think the Left v Right valuation is nearly as stark as back-in-the-day. 

An NFL offense needs two good tackles and NFL defenses move their rushers/d-lineman around.

57 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I think teams are not concerned about playing a LT on the right side as long as they have a high quality T on their line. Much like (and probably because) so many teams have quality Edge rushers on BOTH sides. AND because swing T's are so valuable. RTs are getting paid  more and more. I think he is a good fit because the Chargers need to protect Herbert at all costs and they can just plug and play Alt on whichever side he feels most comfortable at and excels at as a rookie. I'm sure Slater will be a team player and move to the right side if he is asked to. Slater will have no problem playing dominant football on the right side. The Chargers are a win now team, I know Nabers and Bowers will be potential selections, but if they can't protect Herbert this season, they are toast. This should be their top priority.  

I understand your point but I'm still wondering if its not a better idea to go with a lower RT.  O'Hara said alt looked uncomfortable doing RT drills. And not all tackles handle it well. 

I'm sure it will be discussed and evaluated predraft

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I feel like Joe Alt is going 5 to the Chargers. Very Harbaugh pick... And if he doesn't go there Giants seem like another likely landing spot if the QB stuff is smokescreen.

I'd be thrilled with him -- he's exactly what we need -- but getting that top 5 type pick went away when we beat the Commies.

I think there will still be a very good tackle prospect at 10 though -- be it Fuaga, Latham, or Fashanu.

This seems likely.  No way does he get past 7 I don't think.  The Stock Exchange guys did a mock yesterday where he dropped to 8 and we moved up to get him(trading our 2025 2nd), but that seems like best case scenario.  Only way it happened was by the Vikings moving up to 5th to take JJ McCarthy, and even then it required Tennessee passing on Alt for Odunze.  Apparently their GM was talking a lot about the importance of skill players or something, so they decided to change it up.

IF that happens though and Alt gets to 8, I'm 100% down to move up for him.  Hell if he gets past 5 I'd call the Giants immediately about what it would cost for #6.  I can't imagine it would be too much more than that 2025 2nd, moving from 10 to 6.  We're not talking future 1sts here, especially without a QB involved.

But yeah, I'll be surprised if he slides past 7, but the draft is a strange beast.  You never really know how sh*t will play out.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Herbert is middle of the road in terms of sack percentage. Technically he's in the top half among the lowest-sacked QBs. His 6% sack rate was tied for the 12th-lowest rate last year.

Herbert lost his all-pro center and WR2 after just 3 games, and their 1st round WR didn't exactly mirror Garrett Wilson's rookie season. All that didn't help any (Jets fans know plenty about starting backup offensive linemen, backup WRs, backup QBs, etc.), but anyway they have other issues beyond just RT. 

It's not tens of millions, but they (read: recently-fired GM Telesco) fully guaranteed RT Pipkins's $7MM 2024 season last year. It's a big chunk of change for him to be just a backup. I do think that meshes well with competition for a high 2nd round tackle, though, and it further leaves them with a top 5 pick to use on another player.

I certainly wouldn't move Slater to RT no matter what draft slot the next tackle's taken. You have a crazy-important position filled with a young stud player, imo you don't mess with it. They took a 1st round LT in '21, a 1st round G in '22, a 1st round WR in '23 -- if Herbert requires another 1st round pick (this one at #5 overall) for his RT then he's not the QB he's been made out to be. Their '22 6th rounder starting at RG gave up almost 3x the sacks Slater did. I'd look to upgrade there before I burn a #5 overall pick to upgrade at RT.

I don't think the Chargers are top-5 pick desperate for a tackle when a RT upgrade they could do with should be there at the top of round 2. Teams don't need two elite LT prospects. The Chiefs didn't even have one good tackle on their roster and just won another super bowl. Purdy had roughly the same sack rate as Herbert and he suited up for the other SB team. 

Alternatively, if they really want a RT they should be trading down and pocketing another high pick that adds another starter. The delta between an excellent RT prospect vs. a great LT prospect moved to RT isn't worth passing up on another pick in the #30-40 range. Their team could use a guard, almost definitely a center with Linsley 99% certain he's retiring, and oh yeah they need defense -- they have 3-4 obvious standout defenders but the rest are terrible. 

• Upvote 2