*** The official 2024 free agency thread***

4 minutes ago, bd71 said:

Jets trade #10 to Minnesota for #23 and #42

I know the team has needs at OL and WR, but by sliding back, we recoup a 2nd round pick in this trade.  I believe the value isn’t that far off on the chart.  Thing is, would sliding back to #23 be worth it just to get back a 2nd round pick.  

Minnesota gave up 42 in the trade.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I like paying attention to Daniel Jeremiah’s content this time of year because he’s close with Douglas, and last week he said two things I found interesting:

1. “Don’t read too much into what teams are at these QB Pro Days. It’s due diligence!”

and

2. “I talked to one GM (the night before free agency opened) and he said he was going on vacation. They weren’t looking to do too much in the free agency period. 

My takeaway? Aaron’s running. 

I see it as the opposite. Both Douglas and Saleh are lame ducks with a playoff mandate who are currently shopping in the bargain bin. If Rodgers is out, those guys are dead men walking.

When Rodgers leaves to run for VP, Zach Wilson becomes QB2. Do you think he will have improved enough from last year to handle this? Will there be lingering effects from the concussion? Do you know if his townhouse in NJ sold yet?? Will be have time to pull it off the market?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I could see that happening, but if you’re Minnesota, are you taking the chance that the broncos, who just got rid of Russ, are going to sit there and let the Vikings go to 10 to get mccarthy?  

That’s a good point.  Minnesota could also package #10 and #11 and move up some more.  Not sure if they would go that route though.

32 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Good news for the Jets. They'll probably use that to get ahead and take a QB. The more QBs ahead of us the better.

I think them going up to 5 would be ideal. Chargers probably in the offensive player market, rumor they want to move down to just accumulate bodies. Would be nice to have them behind the Jets. Picks 11 and 23 plus or minus a little probably get them to the value of 5 with QB premium. Can’t do it till draft day though.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, section314 said:

Finally coming over to my side of the street and real this is all on Woody with Rodgers and JD and Saleh were just doing what they were told? Good for you, you will be on the right side of history when all is said and done. 😎

I was never not on the "it's all on Woody".  He's the Owner, it all flows to him.

My disagreement is the idea that Woody is making any personnel decisions on players.  I don't believe he is.  I don't see JD and Saleh as "just doing what they're told" at all, I see them as entirely responsible.  But Woody is responsible for them being in their jobs still.

• Upvote 1

Just now, derp said:

I think them going up to 5 would be ideal. Chargers probably in the offensive player market, rumor they want to move down to just accumulate bodies. Would be nice to have them behind the Jets. Picks 11 and 23 plus or minus a little probably get them to the value of 5 with QB premium. Can’t do it till draft day though.

If the jets want a wr they’re going to be happy 

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I like paying attention to Daniel Jeremiah’s content this time of year because he’s close with Douglas, and last week he said two things I found interesting:

1. “Don’t read too much into what teams are at these QB Pro Days. It’s due diligence!”

and

2. “I talked to one GM (the night before free agency opened) and he said he was going on vacation. They weren’t looking to do too much in the free agency period. 

My takeaway? Aaron’s running. 

We don't know which GM he was referring to.  Plus JD has signed players and Tyron Smith is still out there.  If Jeremiah was referring to someone from the Jets going on vacation it was probably Robert Saleh.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

Minnesota gave up 42 in the trade.

Damn.  My bad!  Oh well.  Would have been a decent opportunity for the Jets to trade back to get a 2nd round pick.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

It might also slightly hurt the Jets chances of sliding back a few spots for Denver or LV to come up ahead of Minn.

Denver doesn't have a 2nd round pick to give us to move back.

LV does.

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Who would have Thomas rated higher than Bowers?

If Bowers was 6’5 260 then he would be even more highly regarded than Harrison.

Hell, even without the prototypical size, he’s been considered a Top 5-10 pick throughout this entire process.

He has some of the best YAC ability we’ve seen from a prospect in recent memory, regardless of position. He catches everything thrown within a mile of him, he’s a high effort blocker both inline and on the move, locker room leader with insane production at arguably the top program in college football right now…

I’m sorry, but I don’t see why more people don’t love this kid.

”Positional value” be damned.

He can play, no doubt.

But there’s a reason why WR are getting paid $25M a year and TE are $10M.

He’s not that size, and I think he’ll fall out of the top 10.

Bowers looks pretty good after the catch.

I see a talented guy who is left wide the frick open — basically uncovered or ignored or schemed open to get the ball into his hands quickly — maybe because Georgia has too many weapons to account for or he’s just a better athlete than the guys he is facing.

But highlights of him running the ball in from 5 yards out on a sweep vs “UT Martin” are as relevant to NFL success as ZW’s pro day throw 🤣

He’s a bit undersized for the position at 6’3” and doesn’t have great arm length.

We prob have no idea if he’ll be able to beat press coverage if detached from the formation at the next level because it looks he had free releases all day in college.

5 minutes ago, derp said:

this opens some really interesting scenarios

Who is willing to trade out now?  Chargers we know.  Who will offer more?  Giants are DYING for a qb, so are the raiders.  Vikings have the most ammo now.  Do the pats and cards think about trading down now that there are 3 teams that will be vying to move up?

Doesnt really help us, but i do think there will be teams looking to trade up for help if JD wants to move down.  It in all honesty probably pushes a top OT or WR down to us at 10 if things break right.  We'll have to wait and see, but this is going to be very interesting now. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

To move up only 2 spots, it would be the equivalent of a 3rd rounder.

Agree but I think the poster I was responding to was looking for us to get a pick in the 2nd round. And there's usually a "QB tax" in those kind of deals.

6 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

this opens some really interesting scenarios

Who is willing to trade out now?  Chargers we know.  Who will offer more?  Giants are DYING for a qb, so are the raiders.  Vikings have the most ammo now.  Do the pats and cards think about trading down now that there are 3 teams that will be vying to move up?

Doesnt really help us, but i do think there will be teams looking to trade up for help if JD wants to move down.  It in all honesty probably pushes a top OT or WR down to us at 10 if things break right.  We'll have to wait and see, but this is going to be very interesting now. 

It seems like Fashanu is no longer regarded as a top ten pick slam dunk. I think the Jets have a chance to take OT2 with the depth of this class. Teams are going to want to move up for the receivers, I’d be surprised if one of the top three makes it to 10.

Would need McCarthy (looks like a lock), Turner (Bears after the Allen trade? Falcons?), Alt, and one other guy in the top nine to get a WR. Tackle or Bowers maybe I guess.

Honestly, I am starting to like Thomas. I think there’s a better chance Alt makes it to ten than a WR.

A reach but Williams-Maye-Daniels-Harrison-McCarthy-Odunze-Alt-Turner-Bowers-Nabers? Things will really start with the Giants.

• Upvote 2

Just now, derp said:

It seems like Fashanu is no longer regarded as a top ten pick slam dunk. I think the Jets have a chance to take OT2 with the depth of this class. Teams are going to want to move up for the receivers, I’d be surprised if one of the top three makes it to 10.

Would need McCarthy (looks like a lock), Turner (Bears after the Allen trade? Falcons?), Alt, and one other guy in the top nine to get a WR. Tackle or Bowers maybe I guess.

Honestly, I am starting to like Thomas. I think there’s a better chance Alt makes it to ten than a WR.

A reach but Williams-Maye-Daniels-Harrison-McCarthy-Odunze-Alt-Turner-Bowers-Nabers? Things will really start with the Giants.

I dont think the jets are going OT

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I was never not on the "it's all on Woody".  He's the Owner, it all flows to him.

My disagreement is the idea that Woody is making any personnel decisions on players.  I don't believe he is.  I don't see JD and Saleh as "just doing what they're told" at all, I see them as entirely responsible.  But Woody is responsible for them being in their jobs still.

From what I’ve read woody talks to jd and Saleh everyday. He’s at every practice and heavily involved on draft day. Think what you want, but Leon Hess only went to games, very rarely went to practice and was never involved on draft day. Sounds like woody is influencing their decisions to me. And he knows NOTHING about football. 

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

If this is how the board shakes out, what do you do?  Take Fuaga?

I think I’d move back.

With the Chargers unloading WRs they seem to be gearing up for MHJ or Nabers.

Alt to Titans feels like a lock after they paid Ridley.  Bears drafting an OT makes sense, too.

IMG_5018.thumb.png.88f4485db3730180340d8af3818bd8b3.png

Bears drafted Darnell Wright last year and their LT, Braxton Jones was 4th overall in pass block win rate.  With them trading for Allen, I see #9 as a prime trade out spot, or committed to defense. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, BP said:

From what I’ve read woody talks to jd and Saleh everyday. He’s at every practice and heavily involved on draft day. Think what you want, but Leon Hess only went to games, very rarely went to practice and was never involved on draft day. Sounds like woody is influencing their decisions to me. And he knows NOTHING about football. 

Woody knows nothing about anything. Except he's really, really good at inheriting money.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He looked very promising when he came back after his pre draft injury but he never got better and actually looked worse when given more responsibility.   Easily replaced.

28 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This is my closing argument to the jury on this, I promise.😁If JD and Saleh pitched the idea of bringing AR on board with all his BS baggage and $150 mm, plus the capital on many fronts it would take, the season just completed would have had them fired immediately on Black Monday, and deservedly so. The fact that they weren’t and Woody still made the comments that “we didn’t have a backup QB and we need to get our guys to play better because everybody tells me we have good players” shows how pissed he was at them, but even he couldn’t fire them for something that was his, and his alone, decision. They followed their bosses orders. 

20 minutes ago, derp said:

Giants are interesting... all smoke points to them being obsessed with Maye and Mccarthy... BUT last year they threw a ton of smoke about not liking thibedaux at alllll and then it was the guy they wanted all along. 

Are they trying to get teams to trade ahead of them hoping MHJ or Nabers falls to them. I do it seems like Nabers will be a giant inevitably almost unless they really are that hungry for a QB and try to move up with the chargers.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

OT AND WR AVALANCE TO 10!!!!!!

If the jets stay at 10 it’s bowers or rome.  If they trade back it gets interesting b/c i can see them taking a wr or OL and then trying to get back into late round 1 to get a qb. 

12 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Giants are interesting... all smoke points to them being obsessed with Maye and Mccarthy... BUT last year they threw a ton of smoke about not liking thibedaux at alllll and then it was the guy they wanted all along. 

Are they trying to get teams to trade ahead of them hoping MHJ or Nabers falls to them. I do it seems like Nabers will be a giant inevitably almost unless they really are that hungry for a QB and try to move up with the chargers.  

I could see them going Odunze too. Feel like he’s really well liked. I think they’re a wild card. Alt wouldn’t shock me.