Darnold to the Vikings.... The Phoenix Rises?

• Paradis changed the title to Darnold to the Vikings.... The Phoenix Rises?

Talent is not the issue with Darnold. Its his inability to deal with pressure consistently. That has gotten better the past couple years. ( Darnold has very little experience playing QB since HS)

I suspect if he has a powerful oline and running game he can flourish. Will he ever be that great franchise QB like a Rodgers or Favre, I think that ship has sailed. It doesn't mean he can't be a good QB.

This is his last chance 

52 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

He’s probably going to start for them.

It’s a terrific situation for him where he gets to play for a quality playcaller in O’Connell and throw to JJ, Addison, Hockenson.

Wondering if this will even make jj want to stay?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

He’s probably going to start for them.

It’s a terrific situation for him where he gets to play for a quality playcaller in O’Connell and throw to JJ, Addison, Hockenson.

Jim Plunkett V2.0 

• Upvote 1

Coaches love the idea of Darnold despite what Darnold actually is. What do they see (and some Jets fans) that I’m not seeing? Average arm talent, average arm strength, fairly mobile but that’s not saying much, not the most accurate and can make poor decisions at times. Regardless I’m wishing him well…

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Opens up the backup job in San Fran. Does Shanahan give Zach a shot? 

He might. Zach only 24, supposedly wanted him in that draft. Would give Zach real coaching for the  first time. I don’t think it would be for backup role, maybe 3rd QB or PS. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, August said:

Coaches love the idea of Darnold despite what Darnold actually is. What do they see (and some Jets fans) that I’m not seeing? Average arm talent, average arm strength, fairly mobile but that’s not saying much, not the most accurate and can make poor decisions at times. Regardless I’m wishing him well…

Sam's arm is not "average".  His arm is "strong" to "quite strong".

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

That would be fascinating.

As well as extremely unlikely. Shanahan may think he has potential but there is no way in hell he would trust him to backup Purdy who has a history of missing games. Zero chance.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

He absolutely doesn't suck

Daniel Jones sucks

Zack Wilson sucks

Trent Edwards sucks 

Comments like this are proof how bad out QB situation has been as a Jets fan LOL!

A guy with a career rating in the 70s and we are debating whether he sucks or not. Man the bar is low

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

Comments like this are proof how bad out QB situation has been as a Jets fan LOL!

A guy with a career rating in the 70s and we are debating whether he sucks or not. Man the bar is low

Darnold was excellent for the Panthers during the start of 21. A bunch of injuries hurt their team. Darnold regressed too obviously. I believe he got injured...

The next year he was actually really good with a solid running game. His passer rating was like 93 over 5-6 games if I'm not mistaken with a 8.2 y/a

You don't get much further from warm, sunny southern California than going to cold snowy Minnesota. 

Be interesting to see if the Vikings really think Sam is a starter, or if they have other plans for a QB-of-their-future.  This feels like a bridge or stop-gap type decision for them, but hard to see where (given where they pick) they're getting an immediate draft QB prospect.  Maybe they think McCarthy or Penix can be their future, who knows.

Good luck to him I suppose.  Maybe he pulls a second "just needed a decade to be NFL ready" like Geno.