Jets sign DT Leki Fotu

32 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

Nice! Continuing to rebuild the weakest unit on the team, the DL!

Wait...what?

:-)

After our 8-9 season with a top 3 defense it will be something Saleh can hold onto at his final press conference

"Ugh well you know, look at our defense, we really dominated and embarrased QBs"

Ughhh

10 minutes ago, Drums said:

I look at it as not wanting to waste draft picks on DTs

Right let’s waste those picks on other positions of waste. Or…..is JD looking to trade up up up for Alt? Nah he got nothing to offer. 

• Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Anyone who expected the Organizations real focus to shift from Defense to Offense was and is (IMO) fooling themselves.

JD and Saleh have shown, time and again, that they believe an elite defense, supported by a just-adequate-enough offense, is their planned key to success.

They also have shown (again, IMO) that they, like many fans, have a "Rodgers will fix it all" belief about the Jets offense.

So seeing what so far has been a slight bias to Defensive signings over Offensive signings at key need positions (OT, WR) is not a surprise.

On the bright side, we have an adequate backup QB now, even if his health is a bit unreliable.  

And it's very, very early, so OT and WR may still be coming, in what remains of FA, or more likely, in the draft.

Personally I'm still hoping a good OT falls to us, and that we can steal Johnny Wilson the big, tall WR from Florida State in the 3rd.  And maybe a QB prospect late in the draft too.

100% accurate about JD and Saleh but want nothing to do with first round OT.

At least this guy is not a former 49er, Seahawk or Raven.

Just looking at the way they do things it is obvious their BIAS and incometence.

25 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

They got the guy they wanted last year for DT but he got hurt.  They reallllly like perrion winfrey

Do we know his injury?  Prognosis?  I just remember Winfrey & teammates were upset when he went down

I don’t know anything about him. But the Jets are addressing the 3rd weakest unit on the team the way I was hoping. I.e., low cost veterans with some upside. Keep filling the D with these types of players.

The big dollars and high draft picks need to go to OL and WR.

WR: Ridley or Samuel AND use the 3rd Round Pick on a WR

OL: Bakhtiari, Smith, Brown, Williams or Zeitler AND pick #10 plus two more picks in the mid rounds

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Do we know his injury?  Prognosis?  I just remember Winfrey & teammates were upset when he went down

i dont recall.  Jets loved him that year at the senior bowl.  They couldnt draft him but they were excited to be able to add him.  He's a great fit for what we do here.  I think they are fine adding this kind of depth and hoping he rebounds from injury. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Anyone who expected the Organizations real focus to shift from Defense to Offense was and is (IMO) fooling themselves.

JD and Saleh have shown, time and again, that they believe an elite defense, supported by a just-adequate-enough offense, is their planned key to success.

They also have shown (again, IMO) that they, like many fans, have a "Rodgers will fix it all" belief about the Jets offense.

So seeing what so far has been a slight bias to Defensive signings over Offensive signings at key need positions (OT, WR) is not a surprise.

On the bright side, we have an adequate backup QB now, even if his health is a bit unreliable.  

And it's very, very early, so OT and WR may still be coming, in what remains of FA, or more likely, in the draft.

Personally I'm still hoping a good OT falls to us, and that we can steal Johnny Wilson the big, tall WR from Florida State in the 3rd.  And maybe a QB prospect late in the draft too.

Because trading for Rodgers, trading up to draft AVT in round 1 and using multiple round 1 and 2 picks on Becton, Tippmann, Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall tells us they just do not value offense.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2.5M on a 1 year deal to fill the "run stuffer" role is perfectly fine. How little did you guys think we'd be spending on that spot?

I don't know the player at all but if there's one position where this staff should get the benefit of the doubt on "can they identify good players" it's the DL. If he's no good or some UDFA shows out, he'll get cut in camp. But that was a roster hole that needed to get filled.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Because trading for Rodgers, trading up to draft AVT in round 1 and using multiple round 1 and 2 picks on Becton, Tippmann, Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall tells us they just do not value offense.

A constantly horrible O-line, a near talentless WR group beyond Wilson, league-worst QB play for years on end, and Offensive finishes of 31st, 32nd, 28th, 29th and 29th tell me they do value, nor know how to build, Offense.

If you'd like to praise them for a clearly short-term, clearly self-interest (job saving) trade like Rodgers, with all it's crippling costs and lost draft picks, which at best was a 1-2 year long-shot at something rather than long-term team building, go right ahead.  I'll disagree and call it was it was, a low-odds hail mary that so far has failed.  A hail-mary, we note, that was only required because of how badly they botched by picking Zach.

If you want to give credit for picking injury prone busts like Becton, or even AVT (who has now missed big chunks of two seasons), while ignoring their constant picking of Edges in the 1st as well, and Sauce as well, go right ahead.  I'll point out that most of JD's Offensive picks have been sub-par, injury-plagued or outright busts, outside of Wilson and Hall.  

End of the day, in totality, I think their record shows a clear Defensive bias.  Throwing a few bones to the O doesn't change that, the philosophy, in the offseason and especially on gameday, has been obvious IMO.

But if you want to argue they've been focused more on O than D in this organization, by all mean feel free to make that argument.  Just note that that makes them look worse, not better, given the horrible performance to-date.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 3
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Plen T said:

Lmfao these goofs still prioritizing the defensive ******* line

sign a damn WR!!

We could have had Mooney for 3 years, 39 million! Wake up, Joe! Wake up!!!!!

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think this means they're prioritizing defense over offense. They signed a NT who's available (and who was willing to sign with the Jets). It doesn't take 10 hours of singular focus to get this deal done at the expense of making calls about starters on offense. The agents of the guys they have interest in - or made offers to already - know it. 

This happened overnight, and may have been as simple as having an underling draw up a contract & send it to this Leki guy's agent to have him sign it or not. They probably have done that with others, too, whose agents threw it in the trash. This is hardly akin to spending hours planning & flying Calvin Pace in on Woody's helicopter to tour the facilities from above before fellating him down below.

He's a former bust. Send him a contract when no one else is, from the one position group on the team where guys end up better than they started. If he signs it fine and if he doesn't there are plenty other 330-pound camp blobs to sign whenever. 

I don't even particularly care for Douglas but this complaint is silly. They needed more interior DLmen for their HC's desired rotation. BFD. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Plen T said:

Lmfao these goofs still prioritizing the defensive ******* line

sign a damn WR!!

Lets sign another 5 worthless DT's........Clueless GM....Clueless coach....Clueless owner.......Clueless organization but good for a few laughs at their insane incompetence.......