Rumor: JFM to be cut, DJ Reed to be extended

Thank god. JFM was probably the dumbest player on the roster. And consistently committed stupid penalties to keep opposing teams drives alive. And yet brilliant defensive mastermind and idiot Saleh never held him accountable.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jdeet said:

Obvious moves would be restructuring JFM’s contract, but with the likely signing of Clowney at a much lower than 16 mil cap hit from JFM, it makes sense that a cut would be likely. 

DJ Reed has hinted at something upcoming and an extension, lowering his cap hit, would make the most sense. He is approximately a 16 mil cap hit, as well. 

The Jets had 5.9 mil in cap space per spotrac BEFORE the Mike Williams and Solomon Thomas contracts and the 9 million or so, needed for our draft picks, moves need to be made. 

These are the obvious 2 players who have workable contracts. If JFM’s contract is restructured, that would be ok as well, but the likeliness of an outright cut, is more possible, as the days go by without a restructure. 

We will see. 

Is restructuring Quinnen Williams the most obvious option? 

2 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Are you just, starting a rumor? Based on…nothing? Wtf is going on here?

2 hours ago, doitny said:

you cant start a thread saying its a Rumor without some sort of proof to where you heard this from.

you just click baited us.

Right?  All you have to say is, "my sources" and it's legitimate. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Jdeet said:

Obvious moves would be restructuring JFM’s contract, but with the likely signing of Clowney at a much lower than 16 mil cap hit from JFM, it makes sense that a cut would be likely. 

DJ Reed has hinted at something upcoming and an extension, lowering his cap hit, would make the most sense. He is approximately a 16 mil cap hit, as well. 

The Jets had 5.9 mil in cap space per spotrac BEFORE the Mike Williams and Solomon Thomas contracts and the 9 million or so, needed for our draft picks, moves need to be made. 

These are the obvious 2 players who have workable contracts. If JFM’s contract is restructured, that would be ok as well, but the likeliness of an outright cut, is more possible, as the days go by without a restructure. 

We will see. 

Are you just summarizing what’s been posted here 23 times and now calling it a rumor giving your own opinion of why? Cool dude! Least you’re not yelling at us. Baby steps brother!! 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, slats said:

I’ve been talking about this year being the year that JFM might get cut for awhile now. They fattened up Micheal Clemons to be the DT/DE hybrid, and then drafted McDonald. He has a $13.3M salary this year, with no guarantees. I’d been expecting this. If true, my guess would be that they’ve been working on him to take some sort of pay cut this whole time, and he’s been unwilling. Crappy time to hit the market. 

A restructure/extension for Reed makes a ton of sense. Lock him up (as it were), and get some solid cap savings this year in the process. 

What do you think of Clemons? I love the player and his whole style and aura but as a player he seems to me to be a bit of a JAG

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, slats said:

I think beefing him up was a mistake, and slowed him down some last year. If they’re sticking with that plan, hopefully he’s better with that weight this year. 

They had him beef up and then still lined him up at end, which made no sense.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They had him beef up and then still lined him up at end, which made no sense.

Bingo....moved his position and his production dropped on the stat line. JFM is still a good player but they need to put him back on the inside.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, slats said:

I think beefing him up was a mistake, and slowed him down some last year. If they’re sticking with that plan, hopefully he’s better with that weight this year. 

Once he learns to play the play the game without seeing toes he will be fine 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, slats said:

That’s JFM, though. DE on running downs, DT on passing downs. That’s what makes him valuable, being effective at both. Trying to manufacture another in Clemons made some sense -he is a huge dude- but in practice it hasn’t really panned out. Took away some of his juice on specials, too. Reminds me of when they fattened up Shaun Ellis and moved him inside. So hopefully either he’s better with a year of carrying that weight, or they abandon that experiment and work on making him the best DE he can be. 

I don't know what to make of his weight gain because they didn't use him inside after telling him to put that weight on. Those big end bodies playing inside snaps all went to Jefferson, Thomas, and JFM. Clemons seemed to exclusively line up wide all year.

So again, it's just confusing.

Instead of waiting to see if there's any truth to this rumor I looked up some interesting stats.

Cutting JFM after letting Huff go will save roughly 34 million.

Adding Kinlaw, will cost 7 million

Clowney is looking for a high estimate of 9 million

Estimate savings = 16 million

Kinlaw is young and played injury free last year after an injury plagued NFL start.  His stats are pretty similar to JFM's. He excelled in collapsing and disrupting the pocket. 

Clowney though older had stats that are almost identical to Huff's as far as sack #'s (9.5-10)  but he was slightly better in tackle #'s and FF's. 

That's half the price for similar production in 2023. Based on that I wouldn't be surprised to see JFM let go if we sign Clowney.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Jdeet said:

We will see. 

So... "this" is Not a "rumor" just Your opinion ... got it. 

On 3/20/2024 at 9:06 PM, Jdeet said:

We will see. 

Where is this being rumored other than this thread?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't know what to make of his weight gain because they didn't use him inside after telling him to put that weight on. Those big end bodies playing inside snaps all went to Jefferson, Thomas, and JFM. Clemons seemed to exclusively line up wide all year.

So again, it's just confusing.

#TheGreatJeffUlbrich

Instead of waiting to see if there's any truth to this rumor I looked up some interesting stats.
Cutting JFM after letting Huff go will save roughly 34 million.
Adding Kinlaw, will cost 7 million
 Clowney is looking for a high estimate of 9 million
Estimate savings = 16 million
Kinlaw is young and played injury free last year after an injury plagued NFL start.  His stats are pretty similar to JFM's. He excelled in collapsing and disrupting the pocket. 
Clowney though older had stats that are almost identical to Huff's as far as sack #'s (9.5-10)  but he was slightly better in tackle #'s and FF's. 
That's half the price for similar production in 2023. Based on that I wouldn't be surprised to see JFM let go if we sign Clowney.

How many snaps did Clowney take vs JFM ? I'm interested in the % win rate.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

On 3/20/2024 at 8:07 PM, BP said:

Thank god. JFM was probably the dumbest player on the roster. And consistently committed stupid penalties to keep opposing teams drives alive. And yet brilliant defensive mastermind and idiot Saleh never held him accountable.

Nfl Hello GIF by New York Jets

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Dunnie said:

How many snaps did Clowney take vs JFM ? I'm interested in the % win rate.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Great question!  Just dug these up...  you can see Clowney and Huff kind of cancel each other as well as Kinlaw and JFM. 

I like JFM but I can understand if they trade him based on saving money 

Clowney - 654 snaps at 38.5 %          TT- 43,  Sacks- 9.5, PD-5,  FF- 1, FR- 1

JFM       -  627 snaps at 36.9 %          TT- 33,  Sacks- 3.5,  PD-3,  FF- 0, FR- 0

Huff       -   480 snaps at 28.2 %          TT-29,  Sacks- 10,   PD-1,  FF-0,  FR-0

Kinlaw  - had 476 snaps at 28.0 %      TT-25,  Sacks- 3.5,  PD-3,  FF-0  FR-0

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Jetkwondo said:

Great question!  Just dug these up...  you can see Clowney and Huff kind of cancel each other as well as Kinlaw and JFM. 

I like JFM but I can understand if they trade him based on saving money 

Clowney - 654 snaps at 38.5 %          TT- 43,  Sacks- 9.5, PD-5,  FF- 1, FR- 1

JFM       -  627 snaps at 36.9 %          TT- 33,  Sacks- 3.5,  PD-3,  FF- 0, FR- 0

Huff       -   480 snaps at 28.2 %          TT-29,  Sacks- 10,   PD-1,  FF-0,  FR-0

Kinlaw  - had 476 snaps at 28.0 %      TT-25,  Sacks- 3.5,  PD-3,  FF-0  FR-0

Are those snap counts including running plays?