Rumor: JFM to be cut, DJ Reed to be extended

Obvious moves would be restructuring JFM’s contract, but with the likely signing of Clowney at a much lower than 16 mil cap hit from JFM, it makes sense that a cut would be likely. 

DJ Reed has hinted at something upcoming and an extension, lowering his cap hit, would make the most sense. He is approximately a 16 mil cap hit, as well. 

The Jets had 5.9 mil in cap space per spotrac BEFORE the Mike Williams and Solomon Thomas contracts and the 9 million or so, needed for our draft picks, moves need to be made. 

These are the obvious 2 players who have workable contracts. If JFM’s contract is restructured, that would be ok as well, but the likeliness of an outright cut, is more possible, as the days go by without a restructure. 

We will see. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

16 minutes ago, Larz said:

What is the source of the “rumor “ your imagination?

Reeds wife is pregnant.  

The jets have 2 players on the roster that can hold up against the run as a DE.   JFM and JJ. 

Very unlikely they cut JFM. 

Clowney on deck

5 minutes ago, slats said:

I’ve been talking about this year being the year that JFM might get cut for awhile now. They fattened up Micheal Clemons to be the DT/DE hybrid, and then drafted McDonald. He has a $13.3M salary this year, with no guarantees. I’d been expecting this. If true, my guess would be that they’ve been working on him to take some sort of pay cut this whole time, and he’s been unwilling. Crappy time to hit the market. 

A restructure/extension for Reed makes a ton of sense. Lock him up (as it were), and get some solid cap savings this year in the process. 

Clemons is bad at football 

• Upvote 2
  • Ugh 1

15 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Sort of crashed out after his extension. Not Henry Anderson crashing out but back down to a marginal player at best. 

They also changed his position.  Always thought that was silly.  Play at a level to get a contract, then move him.  

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Wouldn’t it be a pretty sh**ty move cutting the guy now, two weeks into the FA period?

What do you think is going to happen after the draft?

8 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

If I start a rumor that I banged a young Jessica Alba will it become as true as the subject of this post.

Just make sure you don’t say you were doing her the the same time I was. We don’t want people to think she was easy.

18 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

If I start a rumor that I banged a young Jessica Alba will it become as true as the subject of this post.

Are you implying that it would be any easier to get Jessica Alba now?  :)

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

That’s crazy.  There’s a rumor circulating that I once dated a young Eleanor Roosevelt … when I was in my 60s … over a century before I turned 49 this past Summer.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Larz said:

What is the source of the “rumor “ your imagination?

Reeds wife is pregnant.  

The jets have 2 players on the roster that can hold up against the run as a DE.   JFM and JJ. 

Very unlikely they cut JFM. 

Agreed

Obvious moves would be restructuring JFM’s contract, but with the likely signing of Clowney at a much lower than 16 mil cap hit from JFM, it makes sense that a cut would be likely. 
DJ Reed has hinted at something upcoming and an extension, lowering his cap hit, would make the most sense. He is approximately a 16 mil cap hit, as well. 
The Jets had 5.9 mil in cap space per spotrac BEFORE the Mike Williams and Solomon Thomas contracts and the 9 million or so, needed for our draft picks, moves need to be made. 
These are the obvious 2 players who have workable contracts. If JFM’s contract is restructured, that would be ok as well, but the likeliness of an outright cut, is more possible, as the days go by without a restructure. 
We will see. 

Is anyone real reporting this rumor?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

Wouldn’t it be a pretty sh**ty move cutting the guy now, two weeks into the FA period?

Cap space knows no loyalty. He’s been paid well, more than he was worth. If Clowney can be brought in at a lower price point…. 
Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jdeet said:

We will see. 

We do this every year.  They don't need $9 million in cap space to sign their draft picks.  The draft picks will replace other players on the 53 who are already counting against the cap.  They more than likely will just need around $3-$4 million in space depending on which players those rookies replace on the 53.

• Upvote 2