A defensive player with the 10th pick

Just now, Wit said:

I would be ok with a safety, since we have a need.

Not at 10 surely?! Maybe if we trade back to the very very end of the 1st. We'd better be picking up more than just a 2nd if that's the case. I do want safety help but I was imagining an FA or 2nd - 4th round guy. 

19 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I would accept a defensive player at 10 if this player is infused with the souls of Lawrence Taylor, Reggie White, and Aaron Donald. Otherwise, I think we might actually have to riot. 

But if we can get one of those guys, I'll sign up for it right now!  lol

9 hours ago, AFJF said:

Is there any defensive player they could take at 10 that wouldn't piss you off?

Heard one mock today that had them taking Texas DT Byron Murphy II at 10.  On the one hand I'd be shocked, but on the other hand I think he could pair with Quinnen to give them the unquestioned top 1-2 punch at DT in the NFL.  Many pockets collapsing and QB's getting bludgeoned.

Yes any of them. OFFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 hours ago, AFJF said:

Is there any defensive player they could take at 10 that wouldn't piss you off?

Heard one mock today that had them taking Texas DT Byron Murphy II at 10.  On the one hand I'd be shocked, but on the other hand I think he could pair with Quinnen to give them the unquestioned top 1-2 punch at DT in the NFL.  Many pockets collapsing and QB's getting bludgeoned.

Is there the next LT?  Reggie White?  The pundits are the ones that say the top ten are QBs, wrs, and tackles.

10 hours ago, Larz said:

Raise your hand if you had the jets board last year when they were on the clock as McDonald/Mayer. 

I'm sort of half-raising my hand, because I had Mayer on there and really thought we might pick him. 

Raise Hand GIF by Nick Jonas

McDonald, on the other half-hand, came out of absolutely nowhere. Wasn't on my radar at all - I hadn't even looked at him.

• Haha 1

I think the only guys I wouldn't be pissed about would be Murphy, Newton, and Mitchell.  I know we signed Kinlaw but adding an elite DT next to Quinnen would really help complete the defense.  Mitchell I think will be a stud #1, and if they have no long-term plans for Reed after this year, it might make sense to just get that sh*t out of the way right now.

That said, we should obviously be going offense.  I think you can find a corner later who you can develop for a year - let him compete with JBC and see if one of them separates themselves as a candidate for that job next year(which is only IF Reed walks).  Same with DT - there is some depth there so you could afford to develop a later pick.  What we NEED though is another weapon.  I don't think we NEED to take a backup tackle, but I admit that OT will be a need next year so it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.  I'm hoping for one of the big-3 WRs or Bowers.

But yeah, any Jet fan who isn't at least preparing for the reality of us taking a defensive player are setting themselves up for some pain.  For all we know this could be why JD has gone so hard in free agency, to open this pick up for a defender.  I doubt it, but it's certainly possible.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

With Huff leaving for big money, in hindsight, I can understand the WMD pick from last year. Good business.

But like, if we take another D lineman and I have to read some "JD on some 4D chess sh*t" defense in the minutes after...

It better be offense, and it should be an offensive tackle.

Or they could have done the obvious thing and drafted Addison and then tagged Huff

I would accept a defensive player at 10 if this player is infused with the souls of Lawrence Taylor, Reggie White, and Aaron Donald. Otherwise, I think we might actually have to riot. 
I have those souls .... But I have none of their abilities.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

At 10 specifically it would need to be DL if we are looking at "value". The top CBs this year are mostly being seen as second half of round 1 types of talent, there's no stand out guy threatening to be a top 10 pick. And given our relative areas of need I just can't see us not going WR / OT, maybe TE, if we stay at 10.

If the Jets draft ANY defensive player at 10, The New Jersey police should bust into Florham Park and arrest Woody and JD for criminal negligence and give them both curb stomps on the way out.  Yes, it's that serious! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

His college tape was fap worthy and he had 900 yards and 10 touchdowns as a rookie and did a lot of that damage when Jefferson was out.  He’s also a big reason Caleb is going 1st overall 

Oh don't get me wrong I loved Addison, but I just don't remember him being the guy Jets fans were focused on.  From what I remember it was considered a long-shot that JSN would be there at 15.  I remember people thinking it was a lock that GB would snatch him up after swapping with our pick.  Once he was there at 15, it seemed like the majority of people around here were creaming their pants at the thought of taking him...myself included.  I don't think anyone would have been upset if Addison or Flowers were the pick, but at the time it seemed like JSN or bust.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

It's not what the fans want, myself included, but I think the reality is it's a 50/50 shot.  That's just the way GMs across the NFL operate.

Generally, they use free agency and trades to fill holes and the draft to add best available talent (especially the first round).  There is a skew toward high value positions, and those include CB, DL, and Pass Rusher on the defensive side of the ball.

18 hours ago, Beerfish said:

If The Jets take a D player with their first pick even if they trade down the whole crew should be immediately be fired, like on the spot and have a chimp pick the rest of the draft.

But don't worry, zero chance they will take a D player.

You could make that same statement about every phase of last years offseason and every week of last season. Yet, here we are. He can reach for another undersized DE that he could have gotten in the 3rd and half this board will be talking about what genius it was to let Huff walk and spend that pick on, _____ , the unknown future stud of 2024. 

Or he can draft a safety and we can talk about how a safety at 10 this year was always a key component to the Adams trade all along. 

We wouldn't even have this pick if this team hadn't had pure amazing luck for once when Rodgers got hurt. Douglas was incompetent enough to trade that pick last year, he shouldn't even be here making any picks this year. 

Ah! That's it! That'll be the line. When he completely reaches for someone that's not even in the conversation, at a position that's not remotely a need, we can talk about the brilliance of swinging for the fences with such a sleeper pick when he's playing with house money because it should have been Greenbay's pick anyway.

"Sure, he MIGHT have been there in the 6th but you don't take that risk when you're talking about possibly the best backup hybrid S/LOLB to ever come out of college. Can't wait to see what Saleh does with this kid. That was Greenbay's pick anyway, you gotta take him at 10!"  If that happens, hopefully the site will bring back that special needs fella that had the crush on Nasirildeen and would completely lose it and end up locked in his basement listening to Simple Plan if you dared to question the next greatest player to grace the NFL field. His name escapes me at the moment (It's a defense mechanism thing), I'm sure someone will remind me. 

EDIT: DWC!! The last scenario and bringing back DWC *Chefs Kiss* Now that's something that could get me to watch this team this year 😍😍

15 hours ago, Aussie Jet said:

Looks like a strong breeze might carry him to Kansas.

You're not wrong there. Here's very slight. I don't think its a big deal outside of rookie season as he's very physical in press man which is what Clemson's scheme predominantly runs (dominated vs big body NFL WRs Keon Coleman/Johnny Wilson/Xavier Leggette/Tez Walker) and he's the 4th youngest player in draft so the strength should come. I read he was back up to 185 at the Clemson pro day. Should get to 190 with ease by year 2 at 6'2 which is plenty big. He's got better coverage production in terms of catches/yards/completion percentage and blanketing WRs more than the other CBs. He's also a former WR in HS and doesn't have a CB background. Insane speed and instincts 

His closest physical comps are Dominique Rodgers Cromartie and Champ Bailey according to RAS. That just gets me excited about the defense potential. Could you imagine that kind of pairing at CB with Sauce. I just think he's got special ability and highest upside of CBs this class. CB second most important position on defense IMO so value makes sense if he turns into an All Pro like his talent suggests. I think people are making too big of a deal of his weight and not putting enough emphasis on his measurables and the fact he's already got the best production covering and he's the least experienced of the bunch. I'm sold he's a future superstar if he stays healthy. Could very well end up being wrong I'm gonna follow his career regardless of where he goes will be interesting to see it pan out

No, any defensive player selected in the first or second (if we traded down) would have me stumped. The offense has been the problem the entire time this coaching staff has been here. You can make the playoffs with a good offense and a mediocre defense. We already have at worst, a top 10 defense, we need a good offense. I can’t see JD and Saleh, in what could be their last draft together, deciding that a defensive player is what they should draft to help save their jobs. There are o line and WRers everywhere in this draft. I get passing on o line last year, there just wasn’t anyone to take, but that likely won’t be an excuse this year. 

On 3/26/2024 at 9:24 PM, Larz said:

Raise your hand if you had the jets board last year when they were on the clock as McDonald/Mayer. 

Nobody lol. You just acquire Aaron Rodgers, your D is set, your O needs a LOT.. But let’s pick a DL for extra extra depth with 15th overall lol . 

• Upvote 1